PDA

View Full Version : what are some good scopes I can put on my 308 rifle

loekanle
10-02-2011, 7:52 PM
I just built this baby

/home/nate/Pictures/IMAG0246.jpg

I going to make this my sniper rifle so I was thinking a bipod, a light mounted on the top, a angled foregrip one that is big, and a powerful scope

so I just want some advice on what kind of scope I should mount

any brand in particular

loekanle
10-02-2011, 7:54 PM
ok I was trying to post a pic but is having problems

But it is a dpms upper and CMMG lower shooting 308

magpul PRS stock

thenotoriousmo
10-02-2011, 8:36 PM
I'm just trying to figure out what you are trying to do with it before I reccomend anything. You say sniper rifle, but what's with the light and grip? Than again you can put whatever you want on your rifle as it is your rifle.

But if you want a powerfull scope, it all depends on your budget. I am giving myself a 1k limit for the optic on my next rifle and I am going with a vortex viper pst.

Black Majik
10-02-2011, 8:38 PM
Some brands to start with:

Schmidt & Bender
U.S. Optics
Premier Reticles
Hensoldt
Nightforce

GunSafari
10-02-2011, 8:44 PM
Trijicon TA11E or a Leupold

What distances do you plan on frequently reaching out to?

Merc1138
10-02-2011, 9:26 PM
I'm not sure why a "sniper rifle" would have a light on it... are you trying to illuminate a target 500 yards away? It's your rifle so whatever.

You need to actually tell us what you plan on doing with it. We can recommend brands, but no one knows what your budget is, what distances you plan on shooting at, etc.

oaklander
10-02-2011, 9:53 PM
He is a good guy - just new to firearms. I know him - he just needs to learn some of the terms!!!

:)

I forget how many words only apply to gun stuff.

N- check this one out:

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=78606

loekanle
10-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I might want to do long range competitions 600 to 800 yards

with the light and foregrip I wanna keep as multipurpose rifle go tact on some fools and still have the option to reach out and anoint someone/something

loekanle
10-02-2011, 11:00 PM
How do you post pics on this forum?

thenotoriousmo
10-02-2011, 11:15 PM
unfortunately you cant have something with out giving up something. generally a rifle with a powerfully scope thats used for comps isnt the ideal rifle to go "tact" on some people. but an ACOG might be the compromise you will be looking for. ok for close work, ok for long range work, and great for the in between stuff.

thenotoriousmo
10-02-2011, 11:17 PM
How do you post pics on this forum?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=86685

Merc1138
10-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I wanna keep as multipurpose rifle go tact on some fools and still have the option to reach out and anoint someone/something

really?
http://www.lolglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/tactical-facepalm.jpg

thenotoriousmo
10-03-2011, 12:25 AM
inspiration?
QFnmHFgUspo

loekanle
10-03-2011, 12:57 AM
@thenotoriousMo is that bag to catch your casings you do hand reloads?

@Oaklander thanks for the link I guess I have a lot to memorize but Ill get it

owenriquez
10-03-2011, 1:10 AM
maybe you meant "precision rifle":)

oaklander
10-03-2011, 1:27 AM
@thenotoriousMo is that bag to catch your casings you do hand reloads?

@Oaklander thanks for the link I guess I have a lot to memorize but Ill get it

And also hang out at events, like the one this last weekend. When I got BACK into guns only about five years ago, I realized that I had to learn a whole new language. I am OLD, and we did not even have RAILS when I was a kid. Ok, we had rails, but not the cool ones!

;-)

But a lot of how I learned the language was from hanging out with other shooters. . .

Sent from my Maxi-Pad.

thenotoriousmo
10-03-2011, 1:51 AM
its not my rifle. i was just my attempt to be a smart *** with that rifle having a flip up sight and a FSB.. the "multipurpose rifle go tact on some fools and still have the option to reach out and anoint someone/something" with all the attachments you want to have on your rifle just make it sound like its ever other tacticool ar that you see with first time ar owners trying to fill every open slot on their hand guard with something. as much as i hate to admit it, i too was that guy at one point.

oaklander
10-03-2011, 1:56 AM
its not my rifle. i was just my attempt to be a smart *** with that rifle having a flip up sight and a FSB.. the "multipurpose rifle go tact on some fools and still have the option to reach out and anoint someone/something" with all the attachments you want to have on your rifle just make it sound like its ever other tacticool ar that you see with first time ar owners trying to fill every open slot on their hand guard with something. as much as i hate to admit it, i too was that guy at one point.

LOL, me too! But that is the fun honeymoon portion of our gun lust!

Sent from my Maxi-Pad.

loekanle
10-03-2011, 2:39 AM
OK forget the flashlight that is kinda worthless for what I want to do but I do need a really good scoop Im going to look at the ACOG and compare it to the good nikon or swarovski scopes and see if they have similar magnifications

thenotoriousmo
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
well it all depends on your budget and what you are looking for. the "OK" swarovski are generally 5 to 10x the price of BEST nikon. so i would never put those two in the same sentence. also swarovski are not into making a tactical style scope but are known for some amazing hunting scopes.

so to help, we would need to know your budget, would you like a fixed or variable power? first or second focal plane, and lastly mil or moa?

but seeing as you want a recommendation for a great scope with a good amount of power, i would go with a nightforce NXS F1. its just over 2k and may be over kill for a stock 308 gas gun. but this is one of the best scopes ive used and hope to own one day! you may not like the fact that it only has a max power of 15, but with this being a 308, thats more than enough scope to get you out there to touch something.

good tracking, an accurate reticule and a return to zero are the big items i need. than i go for all the nice features such a a zero stop, illumination, blah blah blah. sadly having those important items costs a premium.

loekanle
10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
my budget is between 400-900 dollars

what is a fixed or variable power? first or second focal plane, and lastly mil

I only know the last one the minute of angle
can you please explain?

grant22
10-03-2011, 1:20 PM
Honestly, unless you are a paid SWAT sniper or a sniper in the military, it isn't good for our hobby/sport to be talking about shooting other people or reaching out and anointing some one. I'm not ragging on you, it's just the kind of speech our 2A right doesn't need.

With that being said, have you started crawling before you've started running? You may want to start out at 100 yards and work your way up. If you are new to recision shooting, consider starting with a cheaper branded scope in the $200 area (Barska SWAT comes to mind). They have a couple that are higher power, street price around $175 - $200, and when you out grow it, you can keep it around for another rifle or probably get 75% back if you sell it.

As far as going straight for the sweet $900 gusto, I can't help you there, but I'm sure one of these guys can. I'm sure Leupold is going to be on the short list of brands to look at. Their quality is up there and their prices aren't nauseating. Good luck!

OC-Indian
10-03-2011, 1:27 PM
Shhhhhhhh. Let him buy a $900 scope so we can buy it from him in 3mo from now for $400 because it "don't work so good"

loekanle
10-03-2011, 6:59 PM
@grant22 I was speaking hypothetically

I made up my mind I am going to get a nikon

Grant was right I do need to walk before I run since I never fired a rifle as big as mine and I haven't even entered a competition yet or done competitive shooting in my life I should stick to the basics

so was the OC indian I would be stupid to spend 900 dollars on an scope because it looks tacticool and also since ive never used one

grant22
10-03-2011, 8:04 PM
Alright, good to hear. Here's another thing you may not want to hear, especially if you have some extra dough.......consider your precision shooting career with a different caliber. Practicing that niche of shooting is gonna get REAL expensive with .308. An awesome round, but a little pricey.

These are just suggestions, but you may take your .308 and stash it for now. Take your $900 scope money and get a really nice precision .22lr, or maybe you'd be more interested in a sorta precision .223. .223/5.56 does pretty well at 100 yds to 300 yards and the ammo would cost you around 30-40 cents a round (appx half .308).

So, maybe start your .308 with a $200 scope, or buy another rifle that's a little more entry-ish to learn the basics on. Good luck.

loekanle
10-03-2011, 8:36 PM
what about 5.7x28 is that a good economically viable caliber to shoot with?

DennisCA
10-03-2011, 9:04 PM
I just built this baby

/home/nate/Pictures/IMAG0246.jpg

I going to make this my sniper rifle so I was thinking a bipod, a light mounted on the top, a angled foregrip one that is big, and a powerful scope

so I just want some advice on what kind of scope I should mount

any brand in particular

How much do you want to spend?

Black Majik
10-03-2011, 9:41 PM

nope.

Merc1138
10-03-2011, 11:08 PM

I'm going to be blunt.

You need to buy yourself a .22lr bolt action, or a .223 bolt action, and learn the basics. It sounds like this .308 is your first rifle. You will be better off financially in the long run getting a .22lr bolt action and decent ammo for it at 4-10 cents a round, and a $200 scope vs. a $600 scope and .308 at $1 a round with your current .308.

As someone else said, shelve it. It may sound completely backwards to put your big manly recoiling .308 with a range of 800 yards into the closet and spend your time and money on a measly little sissy .22lr, but the basics apply to both. Since the basics apply to both, you might as well go with the more economical option. Learning breathing, trigger control, positions, etc. is just the same with .22lr as it is .308 and even .50bmg. The advice that people here are trying to give you may not be what you want to hear, might even sound a little condescending at times, but it's honest(it's not like lying to you has any gain for us).

Shoot good 100 yard groups with .22lr, then work your way back to .308(and maybe take a detour to .223 in between).

oaklander
10-03-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm going to be blunt.

You need to buy yourself a .22lr bolt action, or a .223 bolt action, and learn the basics. It sounds like this .308 is your first rifle. You will be better off financially in the long run getting a .22lr bolt action and decent ammo for it at 4-10 cents a round, and a $200 scope vs. a $600 scope and .308 at $1 a round with your current .308.

As someone else said, shelve it. It may sound completely backwards to put your big manly recoiling .308 with a range of 800 yards into the closet and spend your time and money on a measly little sissy .22lr, but the basics apply to both. Since the basics apply to both, you might as well go with the more economical option. Learning breathing, trigger control, positions, etc. is just the same with .22lr as it is .308 and even .50bmg. The advice that people here are trying to give you may not be what you want to hear, might even sound a little condescending at times, but it's honest(it's not like lying to you has any gain for us).

Shoot good 100 yard groups with .22lr, then work your way back to .308(and maybe take a detour to .223 in between).

LOL, .22lr is fun at 100 yards, kind of fun to wait for it to hit the target. I recall that my first OLL was a .308 (FNFAL).

It sounds like you know a lot about this kind of stuff! I think me and the OP are going to Chabot this weekend, and if you are local, it would be AWESOME to get your help and stuff. I am not that much of a long range shooter either, so any help is appreciated!

ALL, let's show some support for the OP. He was at my party this last weekend, and is really eager to learn about our sport. Let's show him positive encouragement, like I know we do.

Sent from my Maxi-Pad.

Merc1138
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm not much of a long range shooter either, simply pointing out the lessons I've learned financially regarding shooting and based off of many mistakes.

wash
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Natchez has a Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 scope with side focus for $350 and there might be a $50 rebate offer.

That is a quality scope made in Japan with neat turrets that are easy to adjust without tools and without being so huge that they stick out a lot.

It is a variable power scope which is like a zoom lens on a camera, it goes from 3x to 15x, a red dot scope like that Eotech you saw is 1x. The 50 means the front lens size in millimeters (usually called an objective lens), the bigger the lens, the more light it can gather when it starts to get dark out.

It is also a second focal plane scope which means the reticle crosshairs look the same size no matter what magnification you're at.

Lastly it is calibrated in minutes of angle, each click of the adjusting turret is 1/4 MOA.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P41044.aspx

At that link you can find a $600 Super Sniper 3-9x42 scope.

It is actually made in the same factory as the Weaver but it's features are very different.

It has a first focal plane reticle which means the reticle crosshairs will change in size as the magnification is changed. It also has a mil dot reticle, the dots are spaced at one mil which is a mili-radian I think. The end result is that you can use the reticle for ranging and hold overs no matter what magnification you use.

It's also a mil-mil scope which means that the clicks of the turrets are calibrated in mils. If you know how to do the calculations in your head, it is easier to use the reticle to take the really long shots when you have to correct a lot for drop and wind conditions.

It's a hard decision, I do OK with MOA and a duplex reticle and I'm kind of reluctant to try learning mils but if you are starting fresh, mil-mil might be the way to go.

thenotoriousmo
10-04-2011, 12:01 AM
You need to buy yourself a .22lr bolt action
+a lot and than some

i spend more time shooting my bolt action CZ in 22lr and my 10/22 more than any other rifle i own. hell i would kill to find a 40x bolt in 22lr so i can finish my 22 trainer ive been trying to build for years. one of my biggest pet peeves is seeing the 1000+ dollar long range rifles with every gadget known to man on it and than put a 300 dollar scope with 25 dollar rings and bases on it.

i far from know it all and wont even pretend to say i do, but the one thing i have learned the hard way is that the barrel and the optic are the things you dont want to skimp on. there is nothing more frustrating than a scope that wont hold/return to zero. i'm in the school of thought where the cost of the optic is generally what the rifle is worth, if not more ( i am talking about long range shooting optics, not red dot/reflex style optics).

so get a 10/22 and shoot the hell out of it with a cheaper scope. learn to read the wind. progress in your shooting ability. eventually you'll learn what you like/want out of an optic instead of getting recommendations for scopes that you dont know too much about. this way you can avoid blowing all your money on a scope someone recommended for you but you find it has a reticule you cant stand or something along those lines... than you'll end up selling it to us later for half like someone said earlier.

and this has become quite a rant, so i shall leave it at that.

send it_hit
10-04-2011, 1:38 AM
fwiw my very first rifle was a 300winmag, because of what i read of its long distance accuracy and stopping power (i wanted to start getting into precision rifle shooting as well.) i took it to the range twice. sold it promptly. i was in over my head, by far. The recoil and more importantly the cost was incredible.

Right after I sold it, I bought a .22 and shot with it for a long time. My next rifle was a .223 and I'm only just now looking into more dedicated long range precision rounds. I really wish I had started with a small caliber and learned the basics!!!

That said, there's really a million different scopes to choose. Nikon is a good place to start. But like others said, as much as you dont want to hear it, might be best to shelf it and shoot a smaller caliber. You could even start with a .223 if you want a little more thump and better balistics than a .22lr, the recoil is barely different.

loekanle
10-04-2011, 1:42 AM
@wash whats the link for "Natchez has a Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 scope with side focus for $350 and there might be a $50 rebate offer."

@oaklander I'm going

@Merc1138 Im will start of with a 223 to learn the basics but I still need a scope because my baby is naked

can you guys refer me to a place that sells good 223 ar15 at good a price

loekanle
10-04-2011, 1:44 AM
is this a good scope
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Buckmasters-6-18x40-Side-Focus-Rifle-Scope-6472-/330560930001?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3234055294310985454#ht_778 wt_1209

Merc1138
10-04-2011, 2:16 AM
Wash was probably referring to this (http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE800340&prodTitle=Weaver%203-15X50%20Super%20Slam%20Riflescope%20Side%20Focus%2 0Dual-X%20Reticle%20Matte)

The Nikon you linked on ebay probably isn't bad, but I really suggest taking a trip to a physical shop and looking through some glass so you can get an idea of what kind of clarity you can get for your money, and what the reticules actually look like through the scope. I'm not saying you have to buy from your local gun shop, just do some window shopping so to speak.

Magnification isn't everything. I can see a target at 100 yards with my leupold at about 7x-10x(it actually goes up to 14), clearer than I can with my POS barska spotting scope at 60x.

Some people also have a preference for different types of reticules. Some have mil dots, others have different types of ranging lines built in, some have thick or thin lines, others may not have a line at the top, maybe some sort of circle, dot, or just a plain crosshair at the center.

As far as Chabot is concerned, I do need to take my AR out again since I got that new brake and the sling adapter I needed. It's too early in the week for me to know if I have time on Saturday to go to the range but if nothing comes up and I remember later on this week I'll send Oaklander a PM about it.

ivanimal
10-04-2011, 3:12 AM
Dont discount the Bushnell elite scopes. I am becoming a big fan.

Merc1138
10-04-2011, 3:22 AM
Dont discount the Bushnell elite scopes. I am becoming a big fan.

I recall there being some decent discounts recently on some of the 3200 and 4200 models. Not sure if they're still on sale at places, but it's worth looking around.

The War Wagon
10-04-2011, 4:27 AM
MY .308 glass... :cool2:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/PSG12.jpg

Leupold Mk.IV C/QT. Because I live in rowhouse central, I like to have the ability to switch BACK to close quarters, if necessary. My MAXIMUM line of sight is still only a couple hundred yards - even from the rooftop!

Leupold Mark AR is also my .223 glass as well; this was the LAST rifle (SPR) built by Johnson Tactical Rifles, before Kevin moved to Seattle last month.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/SPR14.jpg

grant22
10-04-2011, 7:56 AM
ALL, let's show some support for the OP. He was at my party this last weekend, and is really eager to learn about our sport. Let's show him positive encouragement, like I know we do.

That's exactly what we're doing. I think some of sensed a little bit misguidance in the OP's questions, and it led us to another topic: a .308 is very neat, but not a good first rifle especially to learn precision shooting with. At least now we have him onboard with taking a step back and learning with a smaller and more economical caliber. Kudos to the OP for listening to our advice.

I still think a 22LR would be a better choice to start with, then a .223, but either way isn't bad. If you get the right .22LR, you'll keep it forever.

wash
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
All of the comments pointing toward a .223 or .22 are correct but they are not absolute.

That AR10 is pretty heavy and it's semi-auto which both are going to help with recoil. You're also a pretty big guy, I would be surprised if you had a problem with the recoil of your AR10.

The only issue is ammo cost which might be twice as expensive as .223. If you can handle the cost, there is nothing stopping you from starting with .308.

There are very few absolutes, so listen to the advise and take it in to consideration but make the choice that's going to get you out on the range (as long as the gun is safe).

wash
10-04-2011, 10:17 AM
If you want an AR15 in 5.56 with a low price, you need to do a little shopping.

In my opinion, it's better to build than buy complete.

This lower looks really tempting:

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=478024

The price is right and it has nice features.

For an upper and the rest of the parts, JSE seems like one of the cheapest places where you can get a decent upper.

If you can figure out exactly what you want, you can build an AR for a lot less than buying as cheap as you can and then swapping out parts.

If I can make it to Chabot on Saturday I'll show you a few options that you have.

Merc1138
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
All of the comments pointing toward a .223 or .22 are correct but they are not absolute.

That AR10 is pretty heavy and it's semi-auto which both are going to help with recoil. You're also a pretty big guy, I would be surprised if you had a problem with the recoil of your AR10.

The only issue is ammo cost which might be twice as expensive as .223. If you can handle the cost, there is nothing stopping you from starting with .308.

There are very few absolutes, so listen to the advise and take it in to consideration but make the choice that's going to get you out on the range (as long as the gun is safe).

Yeah, I was pointing out .22lr from a cost perspective. A semi auto or bolt action .22lr rifle can be had for $250 or less and be decent. Glass, another 150, 1000 rounds of ammo besides the bulk stuff, $50. That is a LOT of shooting for around $450(not including tax, dros, shipping, blah blah). Compare that cost to just decent .308 factory ammo(reloading is obviously cheaper in the long run, but means buying equipment and you still have to buy components, have the room for it, the time to do it, and time to learn about it).

send it_hit
10-04-2011, 1:08 PM
the bushnell elite 3200 is what i use, and i am a really big fan. for the price it's great, imho.

loekanle
10-05-2011, 12:01 AM
I just bought the lower that wash suggested from http://www.riflegear.com/p-1190-riflegear-aggressor-forged-stripped-lower-receiver.aspx

I think I'm going to have to get into hand loading in order to shoot my 308 on a regular

everybody who said get and start off with a .22 I appreciate the advice but I have such a distaste for that caliber.

loekanle
10-05-2011, 12:52 AM
actually I have to call and order Does anybody know any good FFL dealers near oakland because I dont want to have to go to Martinez to pick the part up

any kitchen dealers who are cheap

RRangel
10-08-2011, 4:07 PM
I always recommend Sightron for that price range. The SIII is the ticket. Really good glass from Japan and it would fit that budget. Some would even compare the glass to Nightforce. Probably not as hardy but shooters like their customer support.

covingtonhouse
10-10-2011, 8:03 PM
2nd the 22lr. Savage mkII bv with a Nikon buckmasters 6-18x40 got me hooked again on the one hole group shooting. Just recently bought a Remington .308 from a fellow calgunner and put a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 w/ the 1moa reticle on it. I love it so far. I stick to the cost of rifle equal to cost of scope way of thinking and it's working out well through the years. I think you can get a buckmasters scope with a free digital camera through Midway right now too. You can post pics of your targets!Good luck!!