PDA

View Full Version : Small or big ammo cans?

problemchild
10-02-2011, 1:14 PM
I bought a ton of big ammo cans but am now thinking differently. The dang big cans are too heavy for the wife and would also be too heavy for children to haul. In the KISS thought process I like having redundancy whereby my wife can do everything I can do "just in case". With that in mind Im thinking now of switching to the smaller and much lighter cans. The big can full of ammo is 35lbs and the small is 16.8lbs.

Opinions?

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/dillon650/ammo%20cans2.jpg

fabguy
10-02-2011, 1:35 PM
Very true statement, I have both sizes. My wife and daughter stuggle with one large but can carry 2 small ones, it is a matter of balance. I have 1k pistol rounds in small ones and 1k .223 in large ones as well as a mixture of each in small ones in case a "fit hits the shan" scenario. You can squeeze alot into the small cans.

Briancnelson
10-02-2011, 2:16 PM
I save some weight by buying the MTM plastic cans. I buy the big ones.

If my wife gets into shooting more I'll have to buy some smaller ones though, she can't lift a fully loaded large can.

10-02-2011, 2:25 PM
Even though the smaller ones hold less ammo, i still like the fact they are easy to tote around. But if your strong enough I say big can is great.

Kanoodler
10-02-2011, 3:43 PM
We do like both sizes...the skinny can is awesome for .22 rimfire or for day trips. But for storage, the standard large size stacks and stores so well!

RGERBER
10-02-2011, 4:54 PM
I use the big one you can put ammo extra mags and a sandwich water and chips in there, also Cabelas make even larger and lighter plastic ones

Seeker
10-02-2011, 5:11 PM
I vote for the small can.

Richard Erichsen
10-02-2011, 5:44 PM
I bought a ton of big ammo cans but am now thinking differently. The dang big cans are too heavy for the wife and would also be too heavy for children to haul. In the KISS thought process I like having redundancy whereby my wife can do everything I can do "just in case". With that in mind Im thinking now of switching to the smaller and much lighter cans. The big can full of ammo is 35lbs and the small is 16.8lbs.

Opinions?

The .30 cal cans typically used for 200 round of belted 7.62x51 are fine. You can always use the .50 cal cans for lighter supplies that may be worth their weight in gold in an emergency (medical supplies, especially antibiotics and pain killers even vitamins).

Ammo is light compared to the clean water you'll need to store and haul with you if you have to get out of dodge quickly and cannot rely on sources of water between point of origin and your choice of destinations. Practice lifting 15, 25 and 55 gallon drums of water into the back of a truck for an appreciation of the difficulty.

R

Californio
10-02-2011, 5:52 PM

Opinions?

Small Can should hold 800 rounds plus of 5.56 in stripper clips. I vote small.

bob7122
10-02-2011, 5:55 PM
small cans are great for mobility but the big ones are great for home storage.

RiverRunner
10-02-2011, 7:17 PM
I've been using the .30 cal cans for all of my .308 storage (can get 250 rounds per can) and 9mm, and .50 cal cans for shotgun shells.

Is it overkill to line the cans with a big ziploc bag and also use smaller ziploc bags to portion out 25 rounds? Is it OK to just put bare rounds in, or could there eventually be galvanic corrosion (brass/copper/lead against steel)? Has anyone stored rounds long term with no ill effect?

gnatnoop
10-02-2011, 7:52 PM
I run the 30 cal ammo cans, even though I would have no problem carrying 2 50 cal cans, fully loaded, for multiple miles...

the 30 cals are the perfect size imo & hold 500 rounds of .223 perfectly

scarville
10-02-2011, 7:54 PM
If I have to load up the truck for GOOD, I think not having to worry if so-and-so can carry such-and-such will make the evacuation go smoother. Everyone is going to be on edge anyways and I don't want to add unnecessary frustration to the mix. In your situation I would use the small cans for ammo and the big ones for less dense stuff.

11HE9
10-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Ammo is light compared to the clean water you'll need to store and haul with you...

This is why my "Bug out kit" includes two water filtration systems. Places I would relocate to will have water all year long... I can resupply on the way, saving room/weight for ammo and other supplies.

jyo
10-02-2011, 10:58 PM
I tend to have some of both---the larger ones tend to stay in one location (or are moved seldom)---the smaller one are a lot more portable. Larger caliber ammo weighs a lot more---shooting a LOT more 9mm recently!

Cali-Shooter
10-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Like Bob7122 said,

Have large ammo cans for "bug-in" ammunition reserves, and have small loaded ammo cans GTG for "bug-out" purposes.

ireload
10-03-2011, 5:12 AM
Since I have both but do have more larger cans than small one. I have a fold away hand truck you can get at Home Depot or Costco. My family can use that to move several ammo cans at once if need be from point A to point B.

Uriah02
10-03-2011, 7:08 AM
The .30 cal cans typically used for 200 round of belted 7.62x51 are fine. You can always use the .50 cal cans for lighter supplies that may be worth their weight in gold in an emergency (medical supplies, especially antibiotics and pain killers even vitamins).

Ammo is light compared to the clean water you'll need to store and haul with you if you have to get out of dodge quickly and cannot rely on sources of water between point of origin and your choice of destinations. Practice lifting 15, 25 and 55 gallon drums of water into the back of a truck for an appreciation of the difficulty.

R

+1
Great idea!

DasBoost
10-03-2011, 8:38 AM
Like Bob7122 and CaliShooter said, I have large cans for home storage and small cans for range/shtf. Even have a little chi-com shoulder bag for ammo too. Lol. Also, I use Master keyed-alike locks on the cans; they're MTM plastic ones so locking them is a little off because you can just break the plastic but for me the locks add one more deterrent along with their weight. Even if a burgular doesn't find my guns, I still don't want them having a chance at my ammo and use that in next crime.

Also, there's a company that makes a shoulder strap/cozy (not the right word, I know) setup for 30cal ammo cans. Might add a little more mobility and free up the hands for some.

theduece
10-03-2011, 9:09 AM
If you are truly concerned with wife in an emergency situation trying to lift a can and carry it out to the truck, I wouldn't be concerned the added adrenaline will allow her to lift 35 lbs a short distance.

If your concern and preps are geared towards her hiking out of southern california over several days and bieng able to carry either of the cans, a gun, and medical supplies, food and water, forget it. She would be better off with food and water(IMHO).

This is all assuming average reasonably fit, average size, 20-something to 50-something year old wife.

Ripon83
10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I like the free plastic one's you get with some of the Cabellas' stuff. Great handles, easy to carry, and don't make a bunch of noise when moving them around.

wjc
10-03-2011, 1:48 PM
I have both as I can't fit a lot of a certain type of ammo in the small cans.

You could build some type of carrier so they could carry the large cans with two hands...better weight distribution. Kind of like in the Raiders of the Lost Ark when they were moving the Ark of the Covenent.

cannon
10-03-2011, 4:45 PM
Like many here I use the large cans and crates for home storage and I load up what I plan to shoot into the .30 cal cans. If there are leftovers after the shooting trip it goes back into the storage cans.

chris
10-03-2011, 5:25 PM
i have both and a couple of larger cans for 40mm. they have their uses for what you may want put in them. i have put MRE's in a couple of mortar cans i have. i have a 40mm one i might do the same. but the .50 can works for shotgun ammo too. i use one for my steel shot i can leave in the back of my truck on the way and not worry about it. they have many uses other than ammo.