PDA

View Full Version : Bob Chow Colt 45 information.

ap3572001
10-02-2011, 1:56 PM
Got another Bob Chow Colt last week. Question for the Chow experts.

This one is on the 1947 Commercial Colt . Chow used Accro rear sight (low mount) and ramp in the front. His own bushing , welded up barrel is fitted really well, all internal area is polished.( Just like on all other Chow guns I owned) Slide to frame fit is very tight. Trigger and hammer are polished on the sides. nice trigger pull. No checkering or stippling.
The gun will put 7 rounds of 230 ball into half a dollar at 25 yards.

The question is about the markings. The barrel has CHOW on top and on each side by the barrel link, also the bushing is marked CHOW. The slide , inside is also marked CHOW. but there are no other numbers or dates.

Does this sound like an early work of CHOW? If yes , how early?

Thanks.

scootergmc
10-02-2011, 2:48 PM
No marks on the slide where it runs near the disconnector? Odd.

ap3572001
10-02-2011, 2:52 PM
No marks on the slide where it runs near the disconnector? Odd.

Yes , there is a mark. CHOW. My other ones had BoMar sights, and more markings.
This one does not say FA, but it sure shoots like one.

scootergmc
10-02-2011, 2:58 PM
But no series of numbers indicating the date. It does sound early. Neat find.

InGrAM
10-02-2011, 3:02 PM
:useless:

scootergmc
10-02-2011, 3:03 PM
I just found a thread over on M1911 forums with a guy named Cary Chin who said he worked with/for Bob back in the day. I'm not a member, but maybe you can hunt him down. Hope it helps.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=53419&page=1&pp=10

ap3572001
10-02-2011, 3:09 PM
But no series of numbers indicating the date. It does sound early. Neat find.

Thanks. I can tell CHOW accuracy job form a mile away. He had a way to fit the slide to the frame that the gun was accurate but worked all the time.

Back in 1984 I asked Him to work on a Browning High Power. He did not want to do it...:)

.....BUT when He was done 4 months later. That High Power shot more like a SIG P210. On the receipt under the total ammount , He wrote," NEVER AGAIN :)". he was really nice and sometimes funny.

I sold that gun in 1990 for rent money....:( Wish I could get it back one day . ......

CapnHawk
10-02-2011, 9:34 PM
I had F. Bob Chow work his magic on a .45 ACP Ballester-Molina of mine back in 1972. I asked him NOT to mark his name anywhere on my pistol. He seemed offended and asked why not. I told him that anyone "in the know" would recognize his work and appreciate it. He seemed happy after I gave him my explanation and honored my request.