PDA

View Full Version : New Mossberg 144 LSB

Mustang
10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Mossberg 144 LSB that I glommed at a recent auction.

Auction pics (admittedly poor)

Description advised:
O F. Mossberg & Sons model 144LSB bolt action target rifle. 22LR cal. 27 1/2" bbl. SN 746555. Blued finish on metal, with several areas of light oxidation, front and rear peep sights, walnut stock shows various handling marks, leather sling, 1 magazine.

One thing that is puzzling..I have never seen a muzzle like this one is depicted in the pictures. Can anyone tell me what the part on the end of the muzzle is?

Thanks

BSlacker
10-03-2011, 6:18 AM
The Mossberg 144LSB is a fine target rifle. Is it a red/green peg or red only peg rifle? Does it have the AC-KRO-GRUV barrel?
The thing on the muzzle is either a tuner that is moved on the barrel to affect the harmonics or a bloop tube to extend the sight length. Or I don't have a clue. It is a little short for a bloop tube and a little forward for a tuner unless it is not set. They usually end up a little more back on the barrel. Never seen it on a 144LSB could be a replacement front sight a Lyman #17-A is the one seen most often. Maybe a close up posted on rimfirecentral.com will ID it. Also you can add this one to the sn list.
Should be a good shooter enjoy! :)

Eat Dirt
10-03-2011, 6:47 AM
Nice score / Great rifle

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2011, 6:58 AM
Just a wild guess. It could be a threaded adaptor for a can????? Otherwise, I don't have a clue either. Let us know how you like it. I love my 44US and my 42A.

mkane
10-03-2011, 7:02 AM
Score! De-Lux

Mustang
10-03-2011, 8:06 AM
I was hoping that it was a common part...muzzle protector, different front sight, etc.. that someone would recognize

Last Christmas I got two unfired(or nearly unfired) 144 LSB's for my sons.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369226

All I can say is that they have nothing like that on the muzzle end.

Eat Dirt
10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm on that site from time to time
great source of info for the .22 rifle

Also : The link didn't work for me

Mustang
10-03-2011, 1:02 PM
I'm on that site from time to time
great source of info for the .22 rifle

Also : The link didn't work for me

I think I fixed the link

Mustang
10-26-2011, 3:47 PM
OK, here it is. Still do not know what it is. The knurled knob in front is a thread protector. There is a nub sticking out about 1/2" from ther front of the device that is threaded.

Will post additional pics once the 10 day waiting period is up.

Mustang
12-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Here are a few additional pics..

The "thingy" looks like it has been on there for a while, but I do not know for sure that it has ever been shot with it in place. I just do not want to risk bulging the barrel or damaging the rifle if it doesn't quite line up with the bore center.

I finally just went ahead and removed the thing. If it is a tuner of some sort, I guess the rifle is now out of tune. If it is a moderator adapter, I can't used it anyway...I live in a silencer unfriendly state .

X-NewYawker
12-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Barrel weight?. Target rifles had them.

Mustang
12-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't think so. It really isn't very heavy and I'm not sure why it would have the threaded nub on the front if it was a dampener.