PDA

View Full Version : STI 1911

bigkyle72
10-01-2011, 9:58 PM
So I was looking to get a new 1911, its my 1st 1911 so I was looking around and really liked the STI but from what I hear you cant get them in california?!!? Am I being miss informed here? I dont know why a handgun manufacture would not ship to cali. any help? and is there a loop hole? LEO? or could I someone from out of state to get it and transfer it to me?

zfields
10-01-2011, 10:00 PM
single shot exemption

skyscraper
10-01-2011, 10:01 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

InGrAM
10-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Look up what he ^ said. Or become friends with a LEO ;)

tacticalcity
10-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Or get another 1911. You end up spending more money than the gun is worth to get the conversion done. So you really, really, really gotta want it. So to play devil's advocate I would ask if there isn't another 1911 that's on the roster that you wouldn't also love to own? There are a lot of amazing ones on the roster.

zfields
10-01-2011, 11:19 PM
STI is about the go-to-gun for competition 1911s.

Not to talk bad on other 1911s that are much prettier, or more reliable for a HD/range gun.

bigkyle72
10-02-2011, 8:44 AM
Can an LE buy one?

zfields
10-02-2011, 9:11 AM
Yes.

Question, why a STI?

hkdad
10-02-2011, 9:56 AM
Yes.

Question, why a STI?

why not? they are awesome guns!:thumbsup: pretty, reliable, accurate and unique than any other guns.

zfields
10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
why not? they are awesome guns!:thumbsup: pretty, reliable, accurate and unique than any other guns.

Im not saying its a bad choice by any means. If I was building a limited/open 1911 2011 style gun thats the way i would go. If I was looking for a HD/Carry 1911, Id be looking a different direction.

MA2
10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
If there are any single shot group buys on STI's in socal...I would be very interested.

I really like to pick-up a RangeMaster@9mm someday.

Gryff
10-02-2011, 3:53 PM
STI is about the go-to-gun for competition 1911s.

2011s, yes. Not so much for 1911s.

It's funny, though. Just a couple of weeks ago, I heard a major Bay Area-based 1911 gunsmith say that an STI 1911 is the worst you could get if you are going to have it customized. Unfortunately, I didn't hear exactly why he believed that. :D

zfields
10-02-2011, 3:54 PM
2011s, yes. Not so much for 1911s.

It's funny, though. Just a couple of weeks ago, I heard a major Bay Area-based 1911 gunsmith say that an STI 1911 is the worst you could get if you are going to have it customized. Unfortunately, I didn't hear exactly why he believed that. :D

Was he one of the crazy puritans. Ive herd the same from someone in north bay.

morrcarr67
10-02-2011, 8:29 PM
From what i understand sti won't ship to CA. If you really want one your best bet is to have Ryan @ Table Rock Arms in OR order it, do the conversion and ship it to your LGS for transfer.

mlgs00
10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
The reason STI doesn't ship their pistols to California is that they are not on the DOJ roster of "safe" handguns. The Single Shot Exemption is a way around the roster for certain types of guns. If you want an STI, look for a shop in your area that does SSE. Any gun store that does SSE transactions can order you any STI that you want. When you pick up the gun after your 10 day wait, they convert the gun into a SSE configuration in only a couple of minutes. You walk out the door with it (taking legal possession) and then turn around and go right back in. Then they convert it right back to normal. The entire process took me about 5 minutes at Tracy Rifle and Pistol.

IPSICK
10-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Plenty of other 1911 single stack alternatives to STI. Now if you're looking for 2011 double stacks, you could do worse than an STI.

keenkeen
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
The reason STI doesn't ship their pistols to California is that they are not on the DOJ roster of "safe" handguns. The Single Shot Exemption is a way around the roster for certain types of guns. If you want an STI, look for a shop in your area that does SSE. Any gun store that does SSE transactions can order you any STI that you want. When you pick up the gun after your 10 day wait, they convert the gun into a SSE configuration in only a couple of minutes. You walk out the door with it (taking legal possession) and then turn around and go right back in. Then they convert it right back to normal. The entire process took me about 5 minutes at Tracy Rifle and Pistol.

The issue is STI wont ship their guns to a dealer in CA even for SSE or LE...or any other reason. Many small build shops will ship to CA since there are exceptions to the DOJ roster...STI has decided not to ship to CA for any reason. So for Tracy Rifle and Pistol to even get the STI requires a two-step shipping dance that just adds to the SSE hassle and $$.

Cyc Wid It
10-03-2011, 1:08 PM
STI is even worse than KAC when it comes to CA.

Paradiddle
10-03-2011, 10:55 PM
The lower end STIs are just that - low end. Imported parts put together here. Their middle to high end pistols are fantastic. They are VERY active in competition and support the sport - which is a big reason they get a lot of ink on boards like Brian Enos.

I don't think they are better or worse then any other 1911 in whatever price range you choose. They do support the competition sport which may or may not be important to you.

Go to brianenos.com and read up on them. You'll learn a lot.

keenkeen
10-03-2011, 11:47 PM
They do support the competition sport which may or may not be important to you.

I think that is great...I think the fact that they have an approach that makes it even harder than it needs to be to get their guns in CA is the pits...So I vote with my wallet and buy other brands.

3GunFunShooter
10-04-2011, 6:01 AM
keenkeen, you could not even get a new STI model in Ca now if they wanted to. Mag disconnect, loaded chamber indicator. You can't get a S&W 1911 in 9mm with out the SSE or buying it from an LEO. Does that mean you won't buy any S&W. Having to go thru the roster process with a new model 1911/2011 is not practical for any manufacturer.
Don't blame the gun makers, blame our elected officals. How many companies are moving out of California due to all our anti-business laws? LOTS are leaving.

keenkeen
10-04-2011, 6:36 AM
keenkeen, you could not even get a new STI model in Ca now if they wanted to. Mag disconnect, loaded chamber indicator. You can't get a S&W 1911 in 9mm with out the SSE or buying it from an LEO. Does that mean you won't buy any S&W. Having to go thru the roster process with a new model 1911/2011 is not practical for any manufacturer.
Don't blame the gun makers, blame our elected officals. How many companies are moving out of California due to all our anti-business laws? LOTS are leaving.

Maybe I am not being clear...I understand the Roster and the exceptions (the two you mention above, plus) My point is STI refuses to ship to CA for any reason. They are leagally allowed to ship handguns to CA (off roster handguns) but chose not to...So I don't support them or go out of my way to buy their products.

Many companies with non-roster models will ship to a CA dealer because they understand there are roster exceptions. The LE and SSE cases at many dealers are full of all sorts of non-roster guns that come from distributors or makers that understand this. Not STI, they are very well known for not shipping to CA. So I vote with my wallet. You do what you want with yours...

PolishMike
10-04-2011, 6:44 AM
Just because I have gotten a couple PMs about this thread I'm going to clear some things up.

STI will NOT ship their pistols into CA.

I have sold several STI's and have a 5.0 Tactical in 40 on the shelf right now.

I order them and they hop to a couple FFL's before they get here. This adds to the cost.

I have customers all the time that say "but Dawson lists them for XXXX". They will also NOT ship into CA. If you want a brand new STI in CA you have to expect to pay a little more.

3GunFunShooter
10-04-2011, 7:24 AM
STI does not need the California market. They are busy enough as it is. It is just not worth the hassle dealing with the California laws. There is not that much profit margin.
I'm sure they have done a cost/benifit analyisis. Working for a manufacturer of a highly regulated product and process in California, I would rather not do business here.
I talk with people all over the country, they think California is a joke (THE LAND OF FRUITS AND NUTS) and a bad one at that. I do not fault any company for making the decision not to do business in California.

bubbapug1
10-04-2011, 7:58 AM
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/race9.jpg

I could have sworn I bought this in California...off of calguns!! The quality of the fit and function of this gun is similar to the workings of a rolex versus a timex. I wear both watches, and shoot STI's and Springfields, and both have their place, but there is a difference. Is it worth the difference in price? That is really a qualitative judgment and also a function of your deposable income. Both can hit the target easily and both can kill you.

Now this is off topic, way off topic, but I feel the need to answer a slight against our state.

California is by far the greatest state in the Union...no one is forcing anyone to live here. If you absolutely cannot live with hi cap mag bans and bullet buttons by all means leave to free yourself of the undue burden that comes with living in the most varied and beautiful state, with tremendous recreational and economic opportunities. I hear housing is cheap in Houston...and so is life.

While others may call us fruits and nuts, if given the chance 75% of all human beings would love to move to California.

hkdad
10-04-2011, 8:08 AM
No Problems here getting STI's to commiefornia!:D

They are very reliable and shoots straight like a laser! it makes some of the high end semi custom pistols look and shoot bad! ;)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/IMAG0258.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/IMAG0259.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/IMAG0260.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/DSC03219.jpg

keenkeen
10-04-2011, 9:54 AM
STI does not need the California market. And I don't need one of their products...nice how that works out. They are busy enough as it is. It is just not worth the hassle dealing with the California laws.FUD..it is legal for them to ship to an FFL in CA, they just don't There is not that much profit margin. FUD
I'm sure they have done a cost/benifit analyisis. Working for a manufacturer of a highly regulated product and process in California, I would rather not do business here. True, True and you are free to tell your bosses you don't want to live or work in CA...
I talk with people all over the country, they think California is a joke (THE LAND OF FRUITS AND NUTS) and a bad one at that. I do not fault any company for making the decision not to do business in California.I do fault them...as others have said CA is a great place, not perfect but great. They can do what they want but I just won't buy an STI even if I find one in CA. It is still a free country after all

No disrespect to anyone who owns an STI, some of them look like fine guns...

Paradiddle
10-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Funny thing about California is that in spite of all our stupid laws we are in the top 2 or 3 of most firearms sold and most gun related accessories sold per state. I think it's short sighted to abandon this market.

Now STI is almost a specialty item so they would have a tough time competing against Kimber and SA here, but for the massive amount of competitors that live here is would be nice to by able to buy their guns.

JaeOne3345
10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
You don't NEED to order a brand new STI from STI.

Just order direct from another stocking STI dealer like Brazos Custom Gunworks in Texas.

They send the gun to an FFL here, like Rafael Esqueda (Get a Gun, Bakersfield, CA) who does the transfer and Single Shot Exemption.

Getting an STI into Cali isn't that hard.

I've owned my 2011 Brazos Edge for about a month now and I love it.

For the people saying why not get a different 1911? Less options in calibers. I want a 40 1911. There are not many of those on the roster at all regardless.

hkdad
10-04-2011, 1:16 PM
You don't NEED to order a brand new STI from STI.

Just order direct from another stocking STI dealer like Brazos Custom Gunworks in Texas.

They send the gun to an FFL here, like Rafael Esqueda (Get a Gun, Bakersfield, CA) who does the transfer and Single Shot Exemption.

I've owned my 2011 Brazos Edge for about a month now and I love it.

For the people saying why not get a different 1911? Less options in calibers. I want a 40 1911. There are not many of those on the roster at all regardless.

I agree 100%. STI's are easy to get in California. You just need to know the right people who can get it to California. Go to your local uspsa club. Join them, and you will see tons of shooters selling their pretty blasters to upgrade to a different one. PPT is your best bet if you are in a hurry.

bubbapug1
10-04-2011, 1:48 PM
I think their new steel master is a steal for $2,000.00 with optics.

JaeOne3345
10-04-2011, 1:51 PM
but for the massive amount of competitors that live here is would be nice to by able to buy their guns.

Would be nice? All I see at matches are S_I 2011 double stacks and Glocks. People are able to get them.

morrcarr67
10-04-2011, 2:35 PM
From what I understand STI won't ship to CA. If you really want one your best bet is to have Ryan @ Table Rock Arms in OR order it, do the conversion and ship it to your LGS for transfer.

Just because I have gotten a couple PMs about this thread I'm going to clear some things up.

STI will NOT ship their pistols into CA.

I have customers all the time that say "but Dawson lists them for XXXX". They will also NOT ship into CA.

If you want a brand new STI in CA you have to expect to pay a little more.

I hope this helps you get your STI. Like we've said STI won't ship to CA. Find a stocking or middle man dealer out of CA that will ship to CA. That dealer or your LGS can do the conversion for you.

Keep in mind you will have at least two shipping fees and two dealer transfer/handling fees.

All it take to get this gun is a little phone/internet work, a little time and some extra money.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures of you new STI once you get it.

osxgp
10-04-2011, 10:57 PM
No new 1911 coming to the market will ever make the list, even though it should be mandatory considering all the soldiers that fought and died for our freedoms while having a 1911 strapped to their hip. That being said; even if STI wanted to sell their guns in CA, how would they make the list? There isn't a mag disconnect that I know of; which eliminates them right there. I believe STI makes great guns, but I don't blame them for not wanting to pay the extortion fee to sell their guns in this state.

keenkeen
10-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Nothing to do with the Roster...people are talking about them not shipping to any CA dealers even for Roster exempt sales (LEO, SSE)

It is legal for them to ship to an FFL in CA, they just don't as a matter of company policy.

Just like Buds has not decided as a company not to ship non-Roster to CA for Roster exempt sales. They won't be getting any more of my $ either....

trendar5
10-04-2011, 11:36 PM
STI does not need the California market. They are busy enough as it is. It is just not worth the hassle dealing with the California laws. There is not that much profit margin.
I'm sure they have done a cost/benifit analyisis. Working for a manufacturer of a highly regulated product and process in California, I would rather not do business here.
I talk with people all over the country, they think California is a joke (THE LAND OF FRUITS AND NUTS) and a bad one at that. I do not fault any company for making the decision not to do business in California.

It seems to me that some of the companies that won't deal with CA, including STI and Barrett, Have made that choice for political reasons, which plays well in more gun-friendly markets. Ronnie Barrett said so. I just don't see the business sense in staying out of a market with 39 million people, several thousand of which are not yet convicted felons. (kidding). We have the #2, #8 and #10 size cities in the nation, and we have money.

hkdad
10-05-2011, 7:42 AM
just imagine a race gun with loaded chamber indicator LCI and a mag disconnect...:facepalm: stupid california law!!! if i would own the company STI... i won't deal with that crap either!

Cyc Wid It
10-05-2011, 8:21 AM
Or you can just sell to places that do exemptions like everybody else.

PolishMike
10-05-2011, 8:26 AM
It seems to me that some of the companies that won't deal with CA, including STI and Barrett, Have made that choice for political reasons, which plays well in more gun-friendly markets. Ronnie Barrett said so. I just don't see the business sense in staying out of a market with 39 million people, several thousand of which are not yet convicted felons. (kidding). We have the #2, #8 and #10 size cities in the nation, and we have money.

You obviously have no idea what happened with Barrett do you?

They fully supported CA guns. They ship their guns with Bullet buttons and everything. They only people they WONT sell to in ca is Law enforcement agencies.

IPSICK
10-05-2011, 8:59 AM
You obviously have no idea what happened with Barrett do you?

They fully supported CA guns. They ship their guns with Bullet buttons and everything. They only people they WONT sell to in ca is Law enforcement agencies.

This is what happens when people don't read the details of the message.

I do wonder if LE agencies get around Barrett's unwillingness to sell to them in a similar way that we do or do they just not purchase Barrett's products. Either way I applaud Barrett for supporting California even if it meant significant losses to his business.