PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished Machining a few 80% Lowers... now what?

mala in se
10-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Just finished machining my Summer project, and wanted to know what the next step is. CNC machined a half dozen 80% lowers, and ordered my pistol upper and pistol buffer tube. However, I'm waiting on a job to anodize it, but it should be done in the next week or so.

Can I just complete the lower, and register it at my local FFL? Or do I need to actually complete the pistol w/ the upper and register it?

Also, since it will be registered as a custom pistol build, do I need to put a zero sled or will the 10 rd mag and BB suffice? And there is no designation (engraving) on the lower, but wanted to make sure it was okay to register it without any.

I'm really excited to put it all together and take it to the range since this will be my first AR pistol. Thanks ahead of time.

JeremyS
10-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Isn't one of the reasons to make your own lower the fact that you do not have to register it at all? Keep it out of the system... it's a "home made firearm" and therefore doesn't have to be registered.

Right? I haven't done an 80% build or spent much time researching it, but I thought this was like the #1 draw for a lot of people. Especially the foil hat crowd :TFH:

repubconserv
10-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Just finished machining my Summer project, and wanted to know what the next step is. CNC machined a half dozen 80% lowers, and ordered my pistol upper and pistol buffer tube. However, I'm waiting on a job to anodize it, but it should be done in the next week or so.

Can I just complete the lower, and register it at my local FFL? Or do I need to actually complete the pistol w/ the upper and register it?

Also, since it will be registered as a custom pistol build, do I need to put a zero sled or will the 10 rd mag and BB suffice? And there is no designation (engraving) on the lower, but wanted to make sure it was okay to register it without any.

I'm really excited to put it all together and take it to the range since this will be my first AR pistol. Thanks ahead of time.

1. You do not need to register your home built AR pistol, no need to take it to ffl
2. Before you "complete" your build (ie, put the upper on) you need to add a BB and a 0 rd sled. Once you have installed the BB and the 0rd sled, then put on the upper, take a picture (picture for good measure). Then take out the 0rd sled and use your ten or less round mags (keep BB)
3. I do not think you can register it without a serial #, but again, since you built it yourself, you do not need to register it. So you dont need any markings/engravings/writing of any sort.

Synergy
10-01-2011, 10:51 PM
3. I do not think you can register it without a serial #, but again, since you built it yourself, you do not need to register it. So you dont need any markings/engravings/writing of any sort.

IIRC - You need to put a serial # on it. Your initials and a number JKP001 would meet the requirements.

repubconserv
10-01-2011, 10:54 PM
IIRC - You need to put a serial # on it. Your initials and a number JKP001 would meet the requirements.

only if you are selling it. otherwise, you don't need anything

Read this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=998278&postcount=1) point number 1

don't get me wrong, engravings on your AR are not a bad thing, you can have it if you want. you just dont need it. If you do decide to add serial # or any other engravings, it does not change the fact that you dont have to register it

mala in se
10-01-2011, 11:04 PM
1. You do not need to register your home built AR pistol, no need to take it to ffl
2. Before you "complete" your build (ie, put the upper on) you need to add a BB and a 0 rd sled. Once you have installed the BB and the 0rd sled, then put on the upper, take a picture (picture for good measure). Then take out the 0rd sled and use your ten or less round mags (keep BB)

OK, I thought I read it had to be registered, but maybe I mixed up transferring an AR pistol. This will make everything so much easier for me.

I just read some other threads that said a zero sled was not necessary unless transferring an AR pistol, and that it was possible to go straight to a 10 rd w/BB. If in the future, I wanted to sell it, would it then have to be registered? Or because it was home built, I cannot sell or transfer to another person?

Also, if questioned about the AR pistol and advising that it was a home built, where does it say in CA law that it is legal? Federal law? I just want to cover all my bases.

Oceanbob
10-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Post some photos...sounds very interesting..!

Bob

mala in se
10-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the info. This has been very informative. I will post pics when the once the lowers are anodized and all the parts come in.

repubconserv
10-01-2011, 11:17 PM
OK, I thought I read it had to be registered, but maybe I mixed up transferring an AR pistol. This will make everything so much easier for me.

I just read some other threads that said a zero sled was not necessary unless transferring an AR pistol, and that it was possible to go straight to a 10 rd w/BB. If in the future, I wanted to sell it, would it then have to be registered? Or because it was home built, I cannot sell or transfer to another person?

Also, if questioned about the AR pistol and advising that it was a home built, where does it say in CA law that it is legal? Federal law? I just want to cover all my bases.

1. IIRC since AR pistol is not on the roster, it needs to be built as a single shot.

2. I am not sure of the legality of selling an AR pistol in cali, if it is legal though, you will need a serial #, and it will be registered

3. There is nothing in the law that forbids you from building these firearms (assuming you can legally own firearms, and they are within legal boundaries). That is all you need to know.If you do indeed keep all your firearms legal, and LEOs still bug you about it, keep CGF on speed dial

kurac
10-02-2011, 12:21 AM
if you are worried about registering it, maybe just put your ssn on it with a -1, -2 for the other lowers. :)

tacticalcity
10-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Good for you by the way. Very cool.

zfields
10-02-2011, 12:36 AM
I would serial / mark it just incase it got stolen, something to identify it with.

Inquirer
10-02-2011, 1:40 AM
No man, you're okay as is. Any markings would just be precautionary. Good for you for diving in and making your own lowers. If you want to get rid of one of 'em, just drop me a line. Just be sure to follow the 10rd/BB compliance points.

--Inq

jameswest992000
10-02-2011, 5:48 AM
And what happens when you take it out shooting and are confronted by law enforcement or forest service?

repubconserv
10-02-2011, 7:33 AM
And what happens when you take it out shooting and are confronted by law enforcement or forest service?

you say "this is my homebuilt firearm. it is 100% legal, and if you have any further questions as to the legality, please contact my lawyer_________ at this phone number _________."

Inquirer
10-02-2011, 1:50 PM
you say "this is my homebuilt firearm. it is 100% legal, and if you have any further questions as to the legality, please contact my lawyer_________ at this phone number _________."

Alternatively, show them a picture of you building it. Lawyer up if they keep pushing. Or signal to one of the Calguns Justice League by firing no more than ten rounds in the air.

--Inq

JeremyS
10-02-2011, 4:44 PM
By the way --- if you do decide you want to register it (for some really weird, weird reason), I do not believe you would have to go to an FFL since there would not be a DROS or any other function an FFL would have to perform. You should be able to register directly with the CA DOJ and pay the $19 and register it like you would if you were moving to the state with guns you owned already... There is a "voluntary ownership record" form, which people can use to register their long guns if they choose to even though they don't have to, so I'd expect it to be this one:

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

BUT -- again, I am not an expert on this, I have not [yet] built my own 80% lower, and if I do I wont be registering it. You should call the California DOJ yourself if you want to ask questions about registering a homemade pistol if you decide you want to do that.

ElvenSoul
10-02-2011, 4:50 PM
Good work...just document each build and put your maker mark and serialize them bad boys. Umm if you are not familiar take a look at Featureless Builds here on Calguns.

gatesbox
10-02-2011, 4:54 PM
WTF, you manufactured 6 firearms before you knew what the legal requirements were?

Sometimes there are no words...I mean everything is legal but really, wouldn't one figure this out before the make six lowers.......???? Really. wTF?

repubconserv
10-02-2011, 4:59 PM
WTF, you manufactured 6 firearms before you knew what the legal requirements were?

Sometimes there are no words...I mean everything is legal but really, wouldn't one figure this out before the make six lowers.......???? Really. wTF?

Chchchchillllll buddy. he probably looked up the legality of building an 80% lower... so he was good on that. now he is just wondering on how to legally build the rest of the gun. If he did something illegal then you can piss and moan "wtf" all you want.

He's looking for advice, not for your snide remarks

mala in se
10-02-2011, 6:28 PM

This was actually a group project between 4 of us, and we had a basic understanding. However, we knew the laws of transferring an AR pistol, and mixed it up a bit. We did not realize that building the actual 80% lowers did not require any type of registration :D. We have yet to build the lowers, and we did not realize we would finish the job so quickly.

Clarification was needed, but we knew we were within the law of building a lower based off what we researched initially.

dmendoza1779
10-02-2011, 7:48 PM
Mala in se, you know you could put a serial number on one of the lowers and sell it to me?!? :rolleyes:

tozan
10-02-2011, 8:10 PM
There is so much FUD on this thread... Post #3 pretty much sums it up...

Maybe Elevensoul, kurac and Synergy should change or delete their mis-informing posts...

Inquirer
10-02-2011, 8:15 PM
Good work...just document each build and put your maker mark and serialize them bad boys. Umm if you are not familiar take a look at Featureless Builds here on Calguns.

What does this even mean? Featureless builds have nothing to do with Serial Numbers or registration.

JeremyS
10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah... "featureless" means none of the things that California considers "evil" features and can lead to being an "assault rifle" like pistol grip, vertical foregrip, flash hider, adjustable stock, and other silly stuff if on a gun with detachable magazine. If you go "featureless" then you do not require a bullet button to lock the magazine in place. The law stating you need that is only if you have a drop mag outside of the pistol grip and any one of the evil features. No features, no BB necessary. This has absolutely nothing at all to do with registering or serializing home built guns, but they do still have to comply with the following:

...one way an assault weapon is defined, is as:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable
magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

You may, however, choose to put some sort of a serial number or identifying number/letter or whatever on there for insurance purposes or in the event that it is stolen and you give a police report. Anything unique that you could tell the cops to look for. Not legally necessary, but might be nice and it could help in an insurance claim, if the loss of it is something you would claim. Blah blah blah

zfields
10-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah... "featureless" means none of the things that California considers "evil" features and can lead to being an "assault rifle" like pistol grip, vertical foregrip, flash hider, adjustable stock, and other silly stuff if on a gun with detachable magazine. If you go "featureless" then you do not require a bullet button to lock the magazine in place. The law stating you need that is only if you have a drop mag outside of the pistol grip and any one of the evil features. No features, no BB necessary. This has absolutely nothing at all to do with registering or serializing home built guns, but they do still have to comply with the following:

...one way an assault weapon is defined, is as:

You may, however, choose to put some sort of a serial number or identifying number/letter or whatever on there for insurance purposes or in the event that it is stolen and you give a police report. Anything unique that you could tell the cops to look for. Not legally necessary, but might be nice and it could help in an insurance claim, if the loss of it is something you would claim. Blah blah blah

I think Inq means "what the hell does featureless have to do with serial numbers".

JeremyS
10-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Yeah. I get Inquirer :). My comments were directed at ElevenSoul. Just trying to explain why Inquirer said what he said, just in case somebody else reading doesn't know...

zfields
10-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Im tiered, leave me alone.