PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with the shortage of surplus .308???

COILSPRING
02-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Holy cow, what happened? One of the vendors at Costa Mesa told me that NATO is no longer selling old surplus ammo... Is this fact or hogwash? Have any laws regarding the importation of military surplus changed? Russian Short and .223 seem to be in short supply as well.... Wolf .762x39 was about $200 per case, double from not too far back. Whats the skinny? :eek:

ask80
02-05-2007, 10:18 PM
welcome to 2007... it'll only get worse

COILSPRING
02-05-2007, 10:33 PM
welcome to 2007... it'll only get worse
Why, what is affecting the surplus military ammo supply? Is it legislation or the current conflicts in the world consuming what was in the past surplus?

EricCartmann
02-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I myself don't think it is the legislation. Even in "ammo liberal" states such as New Hampshire we have a shortage. Distributors are either:

1) holding/controlling the flow to increase profit
2) can't get it themselves.

If it is #2 then the war in Iraq might be a cause as the military needs to keep the surplus for themselves (even if they are not using it you still need huge reserves). But the reason I don't think it is #2 is because this world has always had conflicts and some how we were always able to get surplus in one form or another Hirtenberger, Radway Green, South African, Austrailian, Indian, Chinese etc. So this goes back to #1. I think very few people are able to import surplus into this country. These importers probably got together and came up with a plan to price gouge. Then again I could be totally wrong and maybe Afganistan and Iraq is taking up all our surplus. :confused:

TheMan
02-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Holy cow, what happened? One of the vendors at Costa Mesa told me that NATO is no longer selling old surplus ammo... Is this fact or hogwash? Have any laws regarding the importation of military surplus changed? Russian Short and .223 seem to be in short supply as well.... Wolf .762x39 was about $200 per case, double from not too far back. Whats the skinny? :eek:

I don't think NATO ever sold surplus ammo directly..:confused:

South Africa supply got cut off. Apparently the person who was enabling the sale of it was arrested for it. The supply dried up not long after that. I bought a couple cases when I heard it was going to happen. It was around $170 at the time, only a few months ago. Now it has nearly doubled, when you can find it

There has been a general attempt by the UN to eliminate the sales of surplus ammo. You just have to wait and see what else is available. It seems most surplus calibers out there right are now commie in origin, but who knows how long that will last before those dry up too.

GW
02-06-2007, 12:11 AM
And don't forget
The 7.62x51 isn't really in common usage anymore so stocks aren't being made at the prodigious rates the 223 is being made at AND the 223 that is being made (like the .308) is all going to the military, so prices are up for civilians because supply is low
AIM used to sell cases of Portuguese 308 for $135 delivered
But that was then...
ALSO
Supposedly, since we destroyed all of Saddam's ammo stocks, all of the 7.62x39 production is being sent to Iraq for their defense force So Those supplies are low and expensive
The moral of this story?
Buy them 22 LR value packs at WalMart while you still can

C.G.
02-06-2007, 1:08 AM
If I remember correctly, Clinton signed that any US military surplus cannot be sold as is but has to be demilled.

Whitesmoke
02-06-2007, 4:32 AM
Supposedly, since we destroyed all of Saddam's ammo stocks, all of the 7.62x39 production is being sent to Iraq for their defense force So Those supplies are low and expensive
The moral of this story?

The reason ammo prices are going up are 2 things...China is buying up base metals (It has really affected the building industry too). AND....the dollar has plummeted in worth. Everyones currency has risen dramatically against the dollar. Look at Gold prices compared to 1 to 2 years ago.....Nobody wants dollars anymore so our dollars don't go as far as they used to.

Whitesmoke
02-06-2007, 4:34 AM
If I remember correctly, Clinton signed that any US military surplus cannot be sold as is but has to be demilled.

thats very true too....

We can still buy directly from the ammo mfg's (like federal, etc)......but they are selling that to the military which means supply is low. In the panic of the ammo prices going up...people are buying more ammo too. So now you have more demand.....prices go up even more.

ask80
02-06-2007, 9:41 AM
i think there's also a high demand for quality surplus .308 .. which is usually south african. they are in short supply everywhere. however i did post up a link to aimsurplus.com that had them. check there. they still have some. but the prices sure have gone up from last year

jsonnier
02-07-2007, 8:12 AM
It is getting more and more to the point where reloading is the only economical way to shoot .

tteng
02-07-2007, 9:50 AM
We're still using 7.62Nato in today's fight. One upside of us pulling out, plenty of 223 and 308 available on surplus market.