PDA

View Full Version : Lassen, CA gunsmithing?

NYY
10-01-2011, 8:52 PM
is Lassen community college a good gunsmithing school? Also are there any ranges up there?

redcliff
10-01-2011, 9:08 PM
The latest posts I"ve read have not been positive: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=475772&highlight=lassen+gunsmithing+susanville

Jonathan Doe
10-01-2011, 9:19 PM
I have attended many 1 week long summer classes, and they were good. They have a range not too far from the state prison. You can also shoot in the BLM land off the side of the road.

NYY
10-01-2011, 9:24 PM
oh.. wow. well thats, disappointing.. thought i was going there next year..

NYY
10-01-2011, 9:31 PM
I have attended many 1 week long summer classes, and they were good. They have a range not too far from the state prison. You can also shoot in the BLM land off the side of the road.

state prison. haha oh yay. but pretty awesome to hear there is BLM land close by

was it anything like that one guy said in the long thread? about "no help and its the alumni who are NOT teaching anyone..?"

Shellshocker66
10-02-2011, 9:07 AM
The good news is that there is BLM land all around, it's beautiful up there with many sites to see, can still find arrowheads out walking along.

But the bad news is that I've been seeing a lot of negative posts about the program, not just here on Calguns.

a1c
10-02-2011, 9:44 AM
... and Nevada is just an hour away!

Jonathan Doe
10-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I am planning to go there next summer for 2 week long 1911 customization class and a week long rifle barreling class. Custom 1911 class was used to be taught by Terry Tussey. I don't know who is teaching it now.

It is a beautiful place with lakes and snow on the mountain top still in summer months. Nice and quite place. One of the screens at the theatre is almost as big as my big screen TV :) .

Gunsmithing
10-02-2011, 12:46 PM
This one I posted in Gunsmithing & How To Name: Lassen CC Gunsmithing? Don't Waste Your Time .

To be a good Gunsmith you need training as Machinist back in the 1920's-1950's. Most schools to day send very little time on machine work or even word work. It is cheaper just to have a class with Desks and chairs. In books before I was born it took 4 years of high school in shop class then 2 to 4 years in in college. Then in the trade 5 to 10 years work the trade. :eek:Today I do not see any Course in high school or colleges. Trade school is trying to do this any any 6 to 18 months or as some will say part replacer gunsmiths:(. I only see schools teaching CNC low pay jobs.

The way to look at this how do you become a good gunsmith in just a short time. I look at all the schools in gunsmitning as a finishing school or save your money and buy a good book on gunsmith's:D

Dave