PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 or Mini-14

Mr.Bulmat
10-01-2011, 7:40 PM
I am looking to buy my first center fire rifle and was wondering if I should get a Mini-14 or AR-15. My intent with this gun is shooting at 100+ yards as well as having a gun that is fun to shoot but can also be used for home defense( I know a pistol would be better for home defense). I would really appreciate any feed back.

If you have other recommendations please feel free to make them.

Respectfully,
Mr.Bulmat

bombadillo
10-01-2011, 7:46 PM
What are your intentions for it? Are you going to shoot for small groups on paper at a hundred or 200 yards? Are you trying to hit a coke can at 30 yards, are you using it for defense, or whats the intent. That will help a lot more.

Milsurps
10-01-2011, 7:56 PM
What are your intentions for it? Are you going to shoot for small groups on paper at a hundred or 200 yards? Are you trying to hit a coke can at 30 yards, are you using it for defense, or whats the intent. That will help a lot more.

Former AR-15, Later Mini-14.
I have both. I wouldn't be without either.
YMMV

Mr.Bulmat
10-01-2011, 7:58 PM
My intent would be to use it for target shooting at 100+ yards as well as just plain fun. I am looking for the gun that can be used for almost anything.

SamIAm
10-01-2011, 8:14 PM
For target shooting, an AR-15. For home defense, Mini-14.

The Mini-14, you can use detachable mags. For an AR-15, you'll need to use a bullet button. You'll need to decide the primary purpose.

Mr.Bulmat
10-01-2011, 8:29 PM
I guess I just want the rifle that can do it all. I am not a fan of the bullet button so I might go with the monster man grip. The mini-14 also seems a little easier on the wallet, but I would build my own ar-15.

bombadillo
10-01-2011, 8:44 PM
For target shooting, an AR-15. For home defense, Mini-14.

The Mini-14, you can use detachable mags. For an AR-15, you'll need to use a bullet button. You'll need to decide the primary purpose.

Not true, you can build a featureless rifle and have the best of both worlds. You could scope an 18" AR, still quite able around an urban environment, capable of sub MOA with the right gear, able to drop pre-ban mags without issue, and great for the range. I say go featureless build.

tacticalcity
10-01-2011, 8:45 PM
AR15 no question.

Mr.Bulmat
10-01-2011, 9:00 PM
thanks for the AK-74 mention but I still have to have a bullet button with that, unless I get a monster man grip for it, still bullet button isn't as bad as the AR-15

Fot
10-01-2011, 9:01 PM
You should be asking AK-47 or AK-74.

I'm not very familiar with the mini 14, but I can tell you that an AR-15 is a good choice for only a select few:

1) If you want a gun that you need to do a deep, DEEP cleaning (hours + pipe cleaners + q-tips) to make sure it functions (if you're lucky), by all means get an AR-15.

2) If you want a range queen (competition gun) where you go out every weekend, set all of your gear up, and shoot 200+yards with good accuracy, by all means get an AR-15.

3) If someone breaks in your house at night, and you want to grab a rifle that you cannot count on, by all means get an AR-15.

As for the AK platform:

1) If you want a gun that could most likely never be cleaned, and still function flawlessly, go with an AK.

2) If you want a rifle that you can take to the range, and more importantly into World War 3, get an AK.

3) If you someone breaks into your house at night, and you want to grab a rifle that will put someone down, every time you squeeze the trigger, get an AK.

Basic breakdown of the AK vs AR argument is as follows:

Accuracy: AR > AK
Stopping power: AK >> AR
Reliability: AK >>>>>> AR

Many will say that accuracy is the most important thing blah blah blah, but just remember this:

1) The most accurate gun in the world will never find its mark if it doesn't go bang when you want it to.

2) Also, in modern day combat, when the hell are you going to be shooting 300+ yards? Any modern day combat will be urban warfare where you're shooting at a max of 100 yards, and if you go any further, get a remmington 700, or a mosin nagant.

I would take the cheapest AK before the most expensive AR ANY DAY.

The only reason AR's are so popular is because of Hollywood, accessories, and they look "sexy". Don't waste your money on an inferior weapon.

:lurk5:

Op Ar, Mini 14 and Saiga riffles all would fit your need just fine. Choosing between those will be largely personal preference.

Bhobbs
10-01-2011, 9:01 PM
Ignore what nyj09 said.

The Mini14 is an extremely reliable rifle that doesn't need a mag lock but won't be a precision rifle.

An AR15 can be set up in many ways depending on what you want. If you own legal hi caps set it up featureless. If not I would use a bullet button and features.

They both have their pros and cons but a Mini14 will be a less "evil" looking rifle while the AR will be more precise and more modular.

boltmopar
10-01-2011, 9:20 PM
I would also agree with Bhobbs. The mini 14 is an excellent rifle for home defense or to just to fire. I'veown several and they are light on the wallet. As far as reliability of an ar, it's not as bad as nyj09 makes it out to be. I pretty sure you are not going to store it in a sandbox or a mud pile. If it was so unreliable, why does are military use it. It does jam to improper maintainance, but the combat zone is different from home use.

captbilly
10-01-2011, 9:20 PM
Here's the deal. I had a mini-14 for over 30 years, and I liked it, but it is no AR. Though the min-14 was very reliable, it did jam a few times ( as do all auto-loaders). The Mini-14 will disapoint you when target shooting, it just isn't inherently accurate (the non-floating barrel is always going to be an issue with accuracy). It is possible to build a mini-14 that is reasonably accurate but, like an M1a, it will require tuning and maintanence to get and keep accuracy. Any decent bull barrel, free float tube AR will do better than MOA, in fact my cheap Rock River shoots 0.5 moa 10 shot groups with HSM (inexpensive) match ammo. No tuning, no adjustments, just put it together, load it with good ammo, aim carfully and shoot. For me, a long time target shooter, there is nothing so frustrating as shooting a gun that doesn't hit where I am aiming. I should say that there is one thing that is more frustrating than an inaccurate rifle, that is an unreliable rifle. I now have numerous AR style rifles, all were inexpensive to build, none have ever jammed or failed to fire (accept my LR 308, but that was onlynduring breakin and I found and fixed the problem). I have fired well over 1000 rounds of dozens of types of ammo, and have not had a single problem. In 1000 rounds my Mini-14 jammed numerous times. Oh, and the Mini-14 probably never shot better than 2-3 moa, and I can regularly shoot well below MOA on a rifle that can do it.

RT13
10-01-2011, 9:22 PM
Sounds like you want a Saiga in either .223 or 7.62x39 and leave it stock so you can drop mags, no bullet button. Accuracy and BB free of a Mini with the Ak reliability. And it's half the price of a Mini and AR.

Mr.Bulmat
10-01-2011, 9:42 PM
Ins't the Saiga just like the AK version of the mini-14. Is it reliable and accurate?
Looks good thanks for the help.

creampuff
10-01-2011, 9:43 PM

I'm not very familiar with the mini 14, but I can tell you that an AR-15 is a good choice for only a select few:

The only reason AR's are so popular is because of Hollywood, accessories, and they look "sexy". Don't waste your money on an inferior weapon.

Wow talk about thread de-railing.

Well back to the original question: I have both AR's and a Mini14. Haven't had any problems with either the AR15 type system nor the Mini-14. I had my Mini-14 accurized by ASI before the OLL movement, and as a result they are both equally accurate rifles. If I were to buy a Mini14 now, straight out the box, I know it won't have the same accuracy as an AR, but just for fun, plinking I just enjoy the way it feels when I am shooting it.

The main issue I have with the Mini14 is the ejection pattern of the brass (reach out and touch the person 200 yards away to my right), and the Ruger mags 10 round mags can be pretty expensive.

I wouldn't pay attention to what nyj09 said about the reliablity and mall-ninjasque appeal of the AR. The AR vs AK arguement is overdone, and really comes down to what you want in a rifle, and not that one is decidedly inferior compared to the other.

SamIAm
10-02-2011, 6:52 AM
Not true, you can build a featureless rifle and have the best of both worlds. You could scope an 18" AR, still quite able around an urban environment, capable of sub MOA with the right gear, able to drop pre-ban mags without issue, and great for the range. I say go featureless build.

You're right. I've owned AR's since before the Clinton ban, so I have a tough time thinking of a MM grip rifle or U-15 rifle as a true AR. They just don't look and feel right to some old school like me.... But my biases shouldn't come into play and so yes a featureless build would work.

Bentot
10-02-2011, 6:53 AM
I had a Mini-14 that was reliable but not accurate, sold it to my brother in law for $300 and all my Wolf ammo. Used the money to buy a 20" BCM upper. We're both happy.

popeye4
10-02-2011, 6:54 AM
For home defense: Practically speaking, i don't think either the .223 or the 7.62x39 are ideal for home defense (get a cheap 12 ga. pump shotgun to repel boarders). I hope you don't live in a neighborhood where you are going to be in such a firefight as to need multiple high cap mags, either. If you are, I'd move.

The AR is a reliable platform. Much of the unreliability rep comes from the very early days of Viet Nam, when the initial position was that the rifle didn't need cleaning (and they shot dirty ammo). The AR does not require hours of meticulous cleaning to run and is very reliable. It can also be made to shoot very accurately. You can get one in just about any configuration you want, from "pistol" to long range "space gun". It truly is the Mr. Potatohead of rifles; you can get multiple uppers and have multiple rifles, too.

I also own a Mini-14, but it sits in the back of the safe. It is a mid-90s Ranch Rifle and is notoriously inaccurate (though if I had to shoot a coyote at 50 yards, it would do the job). I'd use it as a truck gun if I lived in a place that allowed that, or I needed it, but it is strictly a short range utility rifle (that doesn't look like an AR, which can be an advantage). Yeah, you can spend hundreds to get it to shoot almost as good as a stock AR, but that's sort of like polishing a turd. It can be done, but what's the point?

An SKS would be an alternative to the Mini-14, but not to the AR....

gunsarefun
10-02-2011, 7:26 AM

1) If you want a gun that you need to do a deep, DEEP cleaning (hours + pipe cleaners + q-tips) to make sure it functions (if you're lucky), by all means get an AR-15.

2) If you want a range queen (competition gun) where you go out every weekend, set all of your gear up, and shoot 200+yards with good accuracy, by all means get an AR-15.

3) If someone breaks in your house at night, and you want to grab a rifle that you cannot count on, by all means get an AR-15.

As for the AK platform:

1) If you want a gun that could most likely never be cleaned, and still function flawlessly, go with an AK.

2) If you want a rifle that you can take to the range, and more importantly into World War 3, get an AK.

3) If you someone breaks into your house at night, and you want to grab a rifle that will put someone down, every time you squeeze the trigger, get an AK.

Many will say that accuracy is the most important thing blah blah blah, but just remember this:

1) The most accurate gun in the world will never find its mark if it doesn't go bang when you want it to.

2) Also, in modern day combat, when the hell are you going to be shooting 300+ yards? Any modern day combat will be urban warfare where you're shooting at a max of 100 yards, and if you go any further, get a remmington 700, or a mosin nagant.

Wow, what a load of crap.......:facepalm:

I would go with an AR15, simply because you want a rifle that can do it all, and no rifle alone can fill that bill perfectly. With the AR15, you could use one lower, and two different uppers on hand that could cover nearly any type of shooting you'd like to do. Mini 14's are actually about the same cost wise. I haven't seen them for less than $700 new, and that is about the same for the S&W sporter, and Delton.

HighLander51
10-02-2011, 7:39 AM
[QUOTE=gunsarefun;7252039]Wow, what a load of crap.......:facepalm:

Yep, Why do you think the top 3 gun shooters run AR-15's, and not Mini's and AKs...........

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/USAMU-Daniel-Horner-2.jpg

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/taran-butler.jpg

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Smith-Wessons-Jerry-Miculek.jpg

Madpyro
10-02-2011, 8:10 AM
Can't we all just get along? I love all my guns.

Grassninja
10-02-2011, 8:26 AM
Can't we all just get along? I love all my guns.

It's rather hard to do that when some people here post incredibly biased and, more importantly, simply untrue posts. It can severely misinform the OP, and is how the stupid internet FUD snowball starts rolling.

wyrm2021
10-02-2011, 9:23 AM
anything that shoots bullets is good for defence, reliability is another question.
Affordable reliability is paramount.

Richard Erichsen
10-02-2011, 9:48 AM
I am looking to buy my first center fire rifle and was wondering if I should get a Mini-14 or AR-15. My intent with this gun is shooting at 100+ yards as well as having a gun that is fun to shoot but can also be used for home defense( I know a pistol would be better for home defense). I would really appreciate any feed back.

Respectfully,
Mr.Bulmat

Mr Bulmat,

Your requirements are undemanding. Either of your top two will do just fine. If you have no preference for operation or controls, again, it's a wash. There are a few pros and cons between the two, none of them all that major at the ranges you are interested in for a "general purpose" carbine:

1) Mini mags are relatively expensive compared to AR15 mags
2) Out of the box accuracy from a sandbag/rifle rest will tend to favor the AR15 using the same ammunition at the same distances, but for a practical general purpose rifle fired standing or knelling, you won't notice the difference.
3) The AR15 sights are better, but nothing you can't fix fairly inexpensively on the Mini if it bothers you.
4) There are more accessories and "upgrades" available for the AR15 which is both a good and bad thing - much of that list is junk.
5) Mini 14 tends to be a bit heavier though there are stocks to drop some weight if that matters. AR15's can have barrels turned and furniture can be selected to make them very light indeed if you plan to carry it on long hikes.
6) Mini's are mostly not fussy even when dirty with both grime and propellent deposits.

Either or both would serve you well.

R

ap3572001
10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Here in Ca, if I was looking for a .223 rifle to have fun with, no question it would be an AR .

If I was looking self defense .223 rifle, new style MINI-14 and a bunch of ruger factory ten round magazines is what I would get.

Jonathan Doe
10-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Although I have many rifles, and couple registered AR's, my go to gun is a Mini-14. Old simple. reliable, compact and accurate enough for me. It will feed 5.56 or 223.

Code7inOaktown
10-02-2011, 12:12 PM

As for the AK platform:

Epic fail and disinformation. Ignore most of this.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

robcoe
10-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Respectfully,
Mr.Bulmat

I have and like both, what I write here is just my opnion so make up your own mind about it.

For HD, i would usualy say Shotgun instead of rifle, but if you want a HD rifle, I would say the mini-14, at longer ranges(200+ yards) the accuracy differences between the new model(581 series) and an AR become an issue for target shooting, but for HD your likely not going to be shooting 200 yards. For HD I would want the ability to change magazines without a tool, I have tried the featureless AR builds, but really did not like them, they always seemd uncomfortable and difficult to shoot(again, personal opnion).

out to 100 yards the accuracy difference between a mini-14 and an AR is basicly meaningless unless your doing competition shooting and you absolutely must hit exactly on the bullseye every shot, your not going to notice a practical difference between the two at those ranges. Out to 100 yards I can hit a 3 inch target without any difficulty, so as far as I am concerned that's good enough, further out(say 300 yards) my AR is definitly more accurate, but I dont shoot that far very often.

Now, there is one thing about an AR that is hands down better than the mini-14, it is the Mister Potaohead of guns. if you buy a stripped lower you can build it up into anything you want, in most any caliber you want(everything from .22lr up to the big .50 beowulf and .410 shotshells can be put on a basic lower). So if you want to customize your gun, get the AR.

As far as being reliable, the AR is fine, I could see match guns getting a bit picky about how they are run, but I have gone through 500 rounds in a day with mine with no malfunctions, and I will sometimes go 1000-1500 rounds before cleaning my mini-14 with no problems.

ivsamhell
10-02-2011, 12:31 PM
both. I built a nice AR and now wish I had a wood stock mini 14, really just for aesthetic reasons. They're both going to be fun to shoot at 100yds, its really just personal preference.

scarville
10-02-2011, 1:06 PM
The 580 and 581 series of the Mini-14 have a good reputation for reliability. I have one of each. The Mini 14 not a rifle for those who agonize over minutes of angle -- it will have "rack-grade" accuracy which means it is accurate enough for an Appleseed. With appropriate ammunition there is no reason it cannot be a decent home defense rifle. I like Hornady TAP for that but YMMV.

If there is any criticism I can raise to the Mini-14 for your requirements is it that it can really throw the ejected brass a good distance. This annoys the shooter next to you and sometime the shooter next to him. On a good day you can hit a shooter three or more lanes away.

Bhobbs
10-02-2011, 1:19 PM
Ah, typical butt-hurt AR fanatic. Epic fail and disinformation, yet you don't "correct" anything I said. Im just trying to save the guy from wasting double or triple the money on an inferior weapon. AR's are an OK weapon, I would buy one if I lived in another state just to bring to the range and throw a bumpfire stock on it. Otherwise, if I had to "bug out" I would leave it behind. On second thought, I would bring it with me so I could sell it to one of these AR lovers on here as soon as their beloved AR fails in every sense of the word.

Facts are facts, Ill say it once again, you want a range queen, get an AR, you want a battle rifle, get an AK. From what the OP said, he wanted a HD rifle that he could also plink around with at the range. Now if he said "I want an accurate competition rifle", I would have said go with the AR.

Damn people get defensive on this forum!

You are just the typical AK fanboy. AR is junk AK is awesome when you don't provide anything to back up your statement. AKs are reliable rifles but ARs are pretty damn reliable too. The early issues were caused by the military changing specs for the rifle.

jigenax
10-02-2011, 1:34 PM
Hi,

Here's my two cents.

Regardless of which platform you choose, the most important factor is you. I spent many years with the AR platform in service and it worked fine because I maintained it and understood it's limitations. Whether it was in frozen mountains, humid jungles, or sandy deserts, my service rifle functioned because I adapted it's maintenance to the environment. Understanding and knowing the platform's requirements and limitations will help you become a better gun owner.

As for selecting a platform, that's really up to you. But no worries, the Mini 14/30, AR series, AK series and even the SKS platforms are all good choices. I have one of each and enjoy them fairly equally. I would suggest that you go out to a range and try each platform out. Some ranges have rentals available or bring a friend who owns one and borrow theirs.

Good luck and enjoy!

Josh3239
10-02-2011, 1:38 PM
Ah, typical butt-hurt AR fanatic.

Your calling him a fanatic and you answered the OPs question with something that wasn't even an option and went on a long tirade about how the AR is inferior to the AK? Um, pot calling the kettle black much?

Epic fail and disinformation, yet you don't "correct" anything I said.

He did correct you were wrong on all accounts. He didn't want to go into detail because you are a threadjacking troll and didn't want to contribute to the threadjack. I on the other hand don't mind so I'll start with one of the many facepalms you deserve, no one takes over an hour cleaning an AR, no one. Pat Rogers put over 40,000 rounds through his AR without a cleaning, how many rounds have you put through your AK total? I haven't cleaned my AR in years. Now I am sure you have more battlefield knowledge than the US military, IDF, Canadian military, Austrian military, Iraqi military, Afghani military, as well as various other countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and South America who have or currently standardized the M16 for their military, but it sure seems to be fitting their needs very well.

Facts are facts, Ill say it once again, you want a range queen, get an AR, you want a battle rifle, get an AK.

Aww yes because that is what US military, IDF, Canadian military, Austrian military, Iraqi military, Afghani military, as well as various other countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and South America who have or currently standardized the M16 for their military, use it for is "range queen" stuff right? That is why it is one of the most popular rifles for carbine courses and competition right, for "range queen" stuff.

Defensive? Your trolling/baiting, threadjacking, and spreading an epic amount of BS. Keep drinking the kool aid pal. If you don't like it here then leave.

Code7inOaktown
10-02-2011, 1:38 PM
Ah, typical butt-hurt AR fanatic. Epic fail and disinformation, yet you don't "correct" anything I said. Im just trying to save the guy from wasting double or triple the money on an inferior weapon. AR's are an OK weapon, I would buy one if I lived in another state just to bring to the range and throw a bumpfire stock on it. Otherwise, if I had to "bug out" I would leave it behind. On second thought, I would bring it with me so I could sell it to one of these AR lovers on here as soon as their beloved AR fails in every sense of the word.

Facts are facts, Ill say it once again, you want a range queen, get an AR, you want a battle rifle, get an AK. From what the OP said, he wanted a HD rifle that he could also plink around with at the range. Now if he said "I want an accurate competition rifle", I would have said go with the AR.

You are a troll with 9 posts.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jigenax
10-02-2011, 1:56 PM
thanks for the AK-74 mention but I still have to have a bullet button with that, unless I get a monster man grip for it, still bullet button isn't as bad as the AR-15

Oh I almost forgot to mention this but MonsterMan Grips stopped producing the AK version.

http://www.monstermangrip.com/MMG_AK.html

Madpyro
10-02-2011, 1:59 PM
:lurk5:

Jonathan Doe
10-02-2011, 2:14 PM
Don't forget the good old 30 M-1 Carbine. One of the most under-rated firearms, but it is a good rifle.

NHP1127
10-02-2011, 2:26 PM
lol @ you! Everyone getting mad over posts!! Can everyone just chill out? And no, Im not trolling/baiting, I'm simply pointing out why the OP should skip the AR and go with an AK. What ever happened to, "nyj09, I disagree with what you say, and here's why:"

Instead we have you: "GITJG-0852-85G-02NONVFEWOVN 0J-!)!*#$!)*$yu!_*th!_thu!_)*gh!_ufFh"

Clean the foam from your mouth and relax... I'm sorry I even brought it up... just like the anti-gunners, completely shut down a view that is not cookie cutter with yours... quick, the brady campaign needs some cash.

To all viewing this thread: I, nyj09, am extremely sorry for offering an opposing view in a sarcastic fashion. I now realize the error of my ways, and I have sold my AK, all of my ammo, my car, and my dog, and have purchased ARs, I shall forever protect the name/reputation of the AR-15... I have seen the light!!!! :facepalm:

BTW, we're on the internet... lol @ both of us

GEEZEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

= Troll.

gunsarefun
10-02-2011, 2:36 PM

Butt hurt? No facts to argue you with? defensive around here?

We just get annoyed when someone develops a case of diarrhea of the mouth. :rolleyes:

The vietnam war era was a LONG time ago, today's AR's and M16's are much improved since. The year is 2011, try and get with the program..... a simple google search and some reading will get you up to date of how incredibly reliable and well built today's ARs are.

And on a side note, shame on you and your AK, it's the weapon of choice by the bad guys over there.( no no... not because it's so great, but because it's readily available and cheap). :sarcasm:

Code7inOaktown
10-02-2011, 2:41 PM
lol @ you! Everyone getting mad over posts!! Can everyone just chill out? And no, Im not trolling/baiting, I'm simply pointing out why the OP should skip the AR and go with an AK. What ever happened to, "nyj09, I disagree with what you say, and here's why:"

Instead we have you: "GITJG-0852-85G-02NONVFEWOVN 0J-!)!*#$!)*$yu!_*th!_thu!_)*gh!_ufFh"

Clean the foam from your mouth and relax... I'm sorry I even brought it up... just like the anti-gunners, completely shut down a view that is not cookie cutter with yours... quick, the brady campaign needs some cash.

To all viewing this thread: I, nyj09, am extremely sorry for offering an opposing view in a sarcastic fashion. I now realize the error of my ways, and I have sold my AK, all of my ammo, my car, and my dog, and have purchased ARs, I shall forever protect the name/reputation of the AR-15... I have seen the light!!!! :facepalm:

BTW, we're on the internet... lol @ both of us

GEEZEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, a troll and sarcasm too. What other Internet skill do you have? Perhaps all upper case too?

UBFRAGD
10-02-2011, 2:45 PM
Don't waste your money on an inferior weapon.

How much kool-aid did you have to drink?

rabagley
10-02-2011, 2:53 PM
Ah, typical butt-hurt AR fanatic.

Obvious troll is obvious. People, please do not feed the troll.

While the troll has one point of merit (that the OP should also be considering the AK if he's considering a Mini-14), his criticisms of the AR requiring total cleanliness to function and being limited to range queen duties are nonsense.

I would say:

1) get a Mossberg 930 with an 18" barrel or a Glock 17 for home defense (add a weaponlight to either one).
2) get a AR-15 from BCM if you want a moderately expensive, extremely accurate semiauto rifle.
3) get a Mini-14 or an AK variant (Saiga) if you want an inexpensive semiauto rifle that's probably accurate enough to 100 yards.

nyj09
10-02-2011, 2:57 PM
All posts deleted

kwansao
10-02-2011, 3:01 PM
i think it's possible that the manual of arms is easier with the mini 14? i have a mini 30 (because it has a bigger boolit) and find that it's very similar to the m1 carbine in function?

plus your TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP will be lower with the mini because there aren't as many aftermarket toys to put on it. heh heh heh

Bhobbs
10-02-2011, 3:04 PM
i think it's possible that the manual of arms is easier with the mini 14? i have a mini 30 (because it has a bigger boolit) and find that it's very similar to the m1 carbine in function?

plus your TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP will be lower with the mini because there aren't as many aftermarket toys to put on it. heh heh heh

That's because the M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, M14 and Mini rifles have a similar operating systems.

Cowboy T
10-02-2011, 4:12 PM
For your needs, it sounds like the Mini-14 Target Rifle Edition might be a good choice. It comes with a bull barrel, an adjustable "harmonic compensator" on the barrel, and will shoot sub-MOA even with factory loads. Thus, you get the Mini-14 action's reliability and just about the same precision that a good AR-15 can give you. Mine is definitely sub-MOA and shoots better than my abilities currently allow (this is changing).

Note that the Target Rifle edition does require a scope, but "Tall" scope rings come with it. They are sufficient to mount anything with a 40" objective lens, which means the majority of scopes these days.

Magazines for Mini-14's are more expensive if you buy them from Ruger. However, Pro-Mag also makes a pretty good one.

WReyth
10-02-2011, 4:25 PM
I have both an AR-15 and a Ruger Ranch Rifle(variant of the Mini-14). They are both carbines shooting .223 but I give the edge in accuracy to the AR.

The AR has a huge aftermarket for accessories and parts, and with the ability to switch uppers I can go even further in variety: a railed one that can accept grips, lights, optics, and such; a varmint setup with a scope an float tube; one set up with match barrel and sights, etc. Limits are budget and imagination. One problem I found is it can be picky on ammunition.

The Ruger hasn't had any problems with the various brands/types of ammunition I've tried. It's had the typical semiauto problems, but mostly I think it's from the aftermarket magazines. I've tried four or five brands and they were all junk -- hard to insert, floor plate coming loose, hanging up on last round, etc. It doesn't have anywhere near the same kind of following that the AR platform has, so parts and accessories are harder to find. The open sights suck, but the latest version of the Mini-14 look like they have better ones.

Maintenance-wise the AR has a lot more parts and steps to it. Both strip down without tools and you can get by with common cleaning tools. I do get specialized brushes, swabs, picks, jags, etc. to do as thorough a job as I can. I met some guys who don't clean their firearms and expect to shoot, same as some who don't maintain their cars and still expect them to drive. It just goes against my nature not to do these things.

As far as cool/fun factor, I like them both but I've spent a lot more on my AR. The only things I've changed on the Ruger are the rear sights, stock, and a good sling. Neither of them have much recoil, though with the Ruger can feel the bolt cycling a lot more.

gun toting monkeyboy
10-02-2011, 4:34 PM
I think an important question here is do you have any pre 2000 mags for either platform. If you do, I would go with that one. Price isn't as big of an issue here, as you can build a decent AR for less than the price of a Mini these days.

My biggest beefs with the mini (I have two) are the magazines and the accuracy. Accuracy in the older models, like the ones I have is... um... well, the bullets go roughly where you aim. Most of the time. The new ones are supposed to be better. My other issue is the magazines. I have a crap load of after market ones from the early 90s. And they all suck. Almost as much as that AK fanboy troll. Back then Ruger didn't sell "hi-cap" magazines to mere mortals. So I tried all kinds of aftermarket ones, and they all caused jams unless you held them in place. Factory mags are the only ones that I have found that will work reliably. And, unfortunately, they cost 3-5 times as much as AR magazines. Someday I will buy some kits and rebuild my crappy magazines. But that is pretty low on the list of projects. I am much happier with the AR platform beacuse it DOES feed reliably. Oh, and you don't get the stupid A-Team comments when you post about your AR...

-Mb

Dark Cobra
10-02-2011, 5:05 PM
Hello all. As you can see I'm brand new but figured I'd toss in my thoughts. I think everyone has made great points except for the one poster who badly slammed the AR. The M16 was with me all through 'Nam. If you kept it clean, it served its purpose and had the potential for remarkable accuracy if you did your part. The AK family of weapons is obviously the workhorse to take to war in any harsh environment. But home defense or target shooting really doesn't scream for an AK weapon.

I used the Mini-14 as a law enforcement officer for 24 years and own one privately now that I'm retired. I consider it an effective weapon out to 100 yards, relatively fun to shoot, very durable and not too expensive. However, if serious target shooting is your mission this is not the weapon. If real target shooting is the mission I would select an actual bolt action rifle designed for that mission.

Since home defense is a mission here, I'm really wondering why a combat shogun isn't on your preferred list. I primarily use my 870 for that mission loaded with 7.5 trap and #4 Buck. Reason being a long range rifle bullet can be a civil law suit nightmare with neighbors unless you live out in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, the following are what I think are optimum for these stated missions: A combat shotgun loaded with rounds ideal for short range defense is my choice for defending my home. A dedicated bolt action target rifle is best for target shooting (but a finely tuned AR does work) and a good old compact .45 is my choice for personal carry protection.

In conclusion, I guess what I'm saying is there is no "Ring to rule all other Rings" and the same can be said for firearms. There's no rifle that's going to be optimum for all missions and purposes. You really need multiple tools for multiple tasks. Anyway, thanks for letting me share my thoughts. Peace!

jigenax
10-02-2011, 5:23 PM
... (edit)

In conclusion, I guess what I'm saying is there is no "Ring to rule all other Rings" and the same can be said for firearms. There's no rifle that's going to be optimum for all missions and purposes. You really need multiple tools for multiple tasks. Anyway, thanks for letting me share my thoughts. Peace!

Dark Cobra, you rock!

Dark Cobra
10-02-2011, 6:07 PM
Thank you "jigenax" for the initial welcome and kind greeting!

ExtremeX
10-02-2011, 6:16 PM
featureless AR-15 would be my pick

blkrfl
10-02-2011, 6:19 PM
anytime there is a question between having two different firearms, a. ar 15 or b. mini 14....

I would say c. all of the above.

Drivedabizness
10-02-2011, 6:33 PM
To the OP (if you are still reading after all the "feedback" you got)

I shot extensively in the Marines and am very comfortable with the AR platform. BUT I decided to try and save some $$$ and bought a new Mossberg 500 and a used Mini 14 (came with a Hogue overmolded, MoRod stabilizer, muzzle brake, extra mags) for what I would have spent on an inexpensive AR build.

I have since spent about $700 on a case of ammo and various accessories (mostly mounts & optics) for the Mini 14. Some of them I will re-sell and recoup the $$$.

Bottom line is - I have no "evil" features and hence need no BB. I am VERY comfortable out to 100 yards and maybe beyond. If I had it do do again I would have built an AR platform gun. Still I like my Mini very much. A local gunsmith did a trigger job for me (T&T in Rancho Cordova) and it is very pleasant to shoot.

motorwerks
10-02-2011, 6:38 PM
AR15

Sniper3142
10-02-2011, 9:01 PM
I have several AR15s and One Mini-14.

The ARs are what I use for any and all situations needing a semiauto centerfire rifle in a mdeium caliber.

The Mini-14 hasn't been out of the safe since the year began with a 1. The only reason I still have it is because its a RAW.

The AR15 is better in every way to a Mini-14.

AlexKintner
10-02-2011, 9:47 PM
I think you'll have fun with either. I have an AR, but still live the Garand looks of the Mini. If it were more accurate and/or cheaper I'd definitely have one. The price was just too close and the AR won out. Maybe someday I'll get one.

Cole125
10-02-2011, 10:09 PM
It's rather hard to do that when some people here post incredibly biased and, more importantly, simply untrue posts. It can severely misinform the OP, and is how the stupid internet FUD snowball starts rolling.

+1 I own both a newer 581 Mini 14 and a AR15. Both are great rifles, and OP, for your needs a Mini 14 would be great. If you are in a area you can us a rifle for HD(rural area) the Mini 14s wins no question because there is no magazine lock.

There is a lot of BS on here and most other forums about Mini 14s, and most of it is just guys repeating the BS they have read online without ever owning or shooting a Mini 14. Sure they aren't match grade rifles, but they are more than accurate enough for their intended use.

All that said for a first centerfire rifle, get a Mini 14!!! Great rifles!!!

SoundFX
10-03-2011, 6:52 AM
I vote Mini-14 as well. Got one sitting right here next to me as my HD gun. You can configure them so that they make a LOT of sense in the role. Are AR's great? SURE! But not as great as a Mini-14 in the HD role (IN CA!!). People that argue otherwise generally are concerned with aesthetics and the cool kid factors that don't amount to much at the end of the day. If it's for a serious role, the Mini simply wins not because it's necessarily a better design, but because it's functional reality in CA is just less likely to leave you standing there as a bullet magnet holding an empty gun that can't be easily reloaded. The mag lock simply prevents it from being usable in the home defense role, imo. In a free state, my choice would be different, but since we're here I choose the best option for the purpose.