PDA

View Full Version : Firearms parts / reloading components export to Japan

kazkat308
10-01-2011, 7:38 PM
Hello guys,

I am thinking of buying some reloading components and shipping it to my friend who hunts in Japan.

Is there any regulation for exporting?

My friend does know how to import since he already been ordered through Sinclair and stuff.
But from individual to individual for small amount of reloading components, is there any export regulation that I need to worry about?
Any additional paper work that I need to attach with the package?

My friend is saying other company who does not ship internationally have cheaper price.

Also, how about scopes?
I saw Brownells website and said scopes needs "Export License".

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/international_sales.aspx

Does anybody know anything about these regulations exporting these goods to Japan or to any other country?

I really appreciate your help!!

Kaz

wilit
10-01-2011, 7:43 PM
Generally exporting any sort of firearms related stuff is sketchy at best. I had to take an export compliance class at work and you'd be surprised at what you can't send internationally.

Ordering direct from manufacturers is usually expensive, but they're set up to ship internationally. Your buddy should order from them or buy in country. It would suck to spend time in a foreign country's judicial system.

vincewarde
10-01-2011, 8:32 PM
Japanese gun laws are VERY STRICT. Only shotguns are allowed and licensing and controls are very tight. About 27,000 prior license holders are allowed to keep "low power" rifles (.22 rimfire?), but new licenses and all transfers are forbidden. There is a complete ban on handguns and even "high power" airguns. It is a crime of an unlicensed person to even hold a firearm.

Ammo is tightly controlled too. I think it is a safe bet that reloading equipment probably falls under their ammo control laws. I definitely would not ship it to Japan.

Here is a good link on Japanese gun laws.

http://davekopel.org/2a/LawRev/Japanese_Gun_Control.htm

mej16489
10-01-2011, 8:41 PM
Google ITAR - firearm related products are often covered under that export purview.

SanPedroShooter
10-02-2011, 7:38 AM
Japanese gun laws are VERY STRICT. Only shotguns are allowed and licensing and controls are very tight. About 27,000 prior license holders are allowed to keep "low power" rifles (.22 rimfire?), but new licenses and all transfers are forbidden. There is a complete ban on handguns and even "high power" airguns. It is a crime of an unlicensed person to even hold a firearm.

Ammo is tightly controlled too. I think it is a safe bet that reloading equipment probably falls under their ammo control laws. I definitely would not ship it to Japan.

What a great article! Thank you for the link. The Japanese really are a very singular people.

bwiese
10-02-2011, 8:38 AM
ITAR controls US export on many otherwise innocuous things - like scopes, etc.

SoCal50Lover
10-02-2011, 9:43 PM
If you really want to know about exporting firearm related stuff then go to BIS ( Bureau of Industry and Security ) website. There is a boatload of info on there and will tell you the rights and wrongs. I have to check this regularly as well as a ton more similar sites being an international freight forwarder but unless you are a reader the site can be a snoozefest.

Mesa Tactical
10-03-2011, 7:45 AM
Don't do it. If your friend needs firearms related stuff in Japan, he can find someone in Japan who can legally supply them;or he can find a US-based licensed exporter with experience legally shipping stuff to Japan.

Exporting firearm parts without a license is in many or most cases extremely illegal for the exporter. And the guy receiving them on the other side better be up to snuff with local firearms laws as well.

You avoid all this drama by dealing with local, in-country suppliers.

Wherryj
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM

"Stated another way, firearms prohibition is part of a culture that subordinates the individual to society. When the individual finds himself not fitting into social expectations, self-destruction may often seem appropriate, since in a conflict between the individual and society, society is, by definition, always right. It is interesting to note that the overall violent death rates (counting both murders and suicides) in many of the developed countries are approximately the same. America has a high murder rate, but a relatively low suicide rate. Japan and Switzerland have very low murder rates, but suicide rates twice the American level. Seymour Martin Lipset notes the high suicide rates in Japan and western European countries and speculates that 'psychopaths there turn it on themselves'.[123]"

Here's an interesting view about societal forces and gun control.

SamsDX
10-03-2011, 10:07 AM

This was an excellent law review article - thanks for posting!

(Though it's somewhat tangential to the topic of this thread, this makes a very strong case against those who desire to implement "Japanese style" gun control here in the United States.)