PDA

View Full Version : Warning if you’re using PDX1’s in a PF9 or other tight tolerance 9mm

carnelianbay
10-01-2011, 5:01 PM
With over 500 rds through my PF9, until yesterday I had only had two FTF’s both of which occurred within the first 50 rds.

Each range secession I typically shoot 50 rds of practice ammo and two magazines of a carry load. In this case PMC Bronze FMJ 115 gr, and Win PDX1 147 gr.

While shooting the PDX1’s it appeared I had a misfire. The hammer fell. I attempted to rack the slide but it was stuck. The slide was not fully into battery, approx 1/8” from the forward position. Instinctively I tapped the slide and it went into battery, however because the hammer had already fell it was de-cocked. Now the slide was really locked forward. Several attempts to rack the slide wouldn’t release it.

When I got home I looked up the slide lock issue on KTOG. No mention of slide locked forward issues with PDX1 but a lot with reloads. Per several recommendations I was able to free the round by placing the front corner of the slide onto the edge of a solid piece of 4x12 and putting most of my weight on grip. Definitely an uneasy feeling given the round was live.

Now the good part. The PDX1 that was stuck had a bulge in its center. I then took that round, and another round from a new box and attempted to seat it in the barrel. The results are in the attached photos. I also noticed that the color of the rounds were a little different but I’m not concerned about that. Going through the new box I found 4 rounds with bulges in them, all of which would not seat.

Photo 1: barrel, good round (right), bad round (left)
Photo 2: good round seated in barrel
Photo 3: bad round seated in barrel
Photo 4: 4 bulged rounds on right

The color variations are much more pronounced in the photos than in real life.

zfields
10-01-2011, 5:11 PM
Did you ever do the fluff and buff? I know that sanding out the chamber is a big part of that.

luckystrike
10-01-2011, 5:15 PM
Keltec budget gun. Not too surprised

cope113
10-01-2011, 9:20 PM
I had 4 FTF's with the .45 230 grains:no:

InGrAM
10-01-2011, 9:35 PM
Yikes, at least it did not damage the gun. My Father's PF-9 is quite picky with ammo. It will only shoot cheap silver bear and tulammo, for some reason.

Do you have any SD ammo that works well in your pf-9?

We have tried, 147gr JHP golden saber, Federal 124gr hydra shock, Winchester 115gr +p JHP. ect..., none have worked :facepalm:

Anchors
10-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried PDX1s in mine, but I'll be sure to stay clear.

That is crazy though.

darmog
10-02-2011, 5:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I have a box of those that I wanted to test thru my CZ p-01 but just haven't gotten around to it. I'll make sure to look for those bulges and test feed them thru my barrel first to see if I'll run thru any problems because of it.