PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Industries AK Mini Dot Mount Review

MilitaryArms
10-01-2011, 2:38 PM
HLhThTANx2g

SoCalXD
10-01-2011, 2:52 PM
It shouldn't take 14 minutes of video to explain that these are of poor design and therefore don't work as advertised. (Of course, I didn't actually watch the video, but if that was not the message, it should be!). I ordered/tested one two weeks ago and the friction of the bottom of the screw heads ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT provide sufficient friction to keep the mount locked down to the rear sight housing for more than a few shots. Sure, you can probably get a few mags out of your rifle without it working it's way up and off if you torque down the screws WAY past the correct torgue value for the screw size, but why would anyone want to do that?

Bottom Line: Good idea, bad implementation.

If you are willing to give up the use of the rear sight of your AK for an optics mount, and looking for a cheap solution, then the UTG Pro does a pretty good job. Of course, the MI forend and new low profile mounts are better, but at twice the price, they might not be financially viable for some shooters.

MilitaryArms
10-01-2011, 4:55 PM
It sounds like you installed it incorrectly. The side bolts aren't supposed to be tightened that much, they should only touch the rear sight mount. The sight base is supposed to be able to bounce when the rifle fires, and then it returns to rest and zero. The bolts on the side are supposed to only prevent side to side movement. If you had a problem, a quick call to Midwest Industries would have set things right.

Gruber51
10-02-2011, 8:25 PM
Great video military arms, I just purchased an arsenal like the one in the video. I'm torn between the MI mini dot mount and a Texas weapon system dog leg for a vortex sparc.

pacifico23
10-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the vid! I was looking at possibly purchasing in the future.

SoCalXD
10-03-2011, 6:28 AM
It sounds like you installed it incorrectly. The side bolts aren't supposed to be tightened that much, they should only touch the rear sight mount. The sight base is supposed to be able to bounce when the rifle fires, and then it returns to rest and zero. The bolts on the side are supposed to only prevent side to side movement. If you had a problem, a quick call to Midwest Industries would have set things right.

I appreciate your reply. You must have read a different version of the instructions than I did. No where did mine say: "site base is supposed to bounce when firing". My instructions spent a lot of time instructing how to get a good solid mount along the sight rail using those those screws and the two available locations. I spoke to both the reseller and MI Factory customer service as well. I would have thought CS would have known about their own "bounce" function. They suggested that perhaps the sight rails on my AK version were thinner than "standard size".

Hey, far be it from me to be critical of someone who actually got this sight system to work for them! If the bounce feature works well, then I must have been using it wrong, or didn't figure out how to adapt to it's features. Bravo!

MilitaryArms
10-03-2011, 7:13 AM
I appreciate your reply. You must have read a different version of the instructions than I did. No where did mine say: "site base is supposed to bounce when firing". My instructions spent a lot of time instructing how to get a good solid mount along the sight rail using those those screws and the two available locations. I spoke to both the reseller and MI Factory customer service as well. I would have thought CS would have known about their own "bounce" function. They suggested that perhaps the sight rails on my AK version were thinner than "standard size".

Hey, far be it from me to be critical of someone who actually got this sight system to work for them! If the bounce feature works well, then I must have been using it wrong, or didn't figure out how to adapt to it's features. Bravo!

Actually, I had the same issue you had when I first installed it. Then I spoke with Troy at Midwest Industries and he explained the wing bolts to me and how to properly tension them. Low and behold, it works just fine. I've been shooting it now for a while and have had no issues with it.

It's a good option for range use, but I wouldn't use it for anything too serious. For that, I use the MI rail system - which even MI will tell you if you ask.

I'm sorry yours didn't work out for you. If you still have it, give it a try using the installation method I've described and let me know if it works better. If you've already gotten rid of it, I understand.

MilitaryArms
10-03-2011, 7:16 AM
Great video military arms, I just purchased an arsenal like the one in the video. I'm torn between the MI mini dot mount and a Texas weapon system dog leg for a vortex sparc.

The TWS system will be more robust and allow you to mount other optics, things like a 1-4x optic like the Leatherwood CMR.

If you just want a red dot sight system for range use / plinking the Mini Dot mount is a viable option. I'm more of a rail system kind of guy, I've installed 3 Midwest Industries rail systems to my AK's and really like the utility of them.

The TWS rail system seems to work well too, I've only used it on one AK though.

Here's my review of the TWS.

docUTwROk0M

squee116
10-09-2011, 8:16 PM
HLhThTANx2g

Nice to see you on Calguns! I love your vids. Keep up the good work.