PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove the primer crimp.

Tzvia
02-05-2007, 7:21 PM
Finally, I've decided to bulk load 223. I've been loading small batches on a single stage but have a Dillon 650 I would rather use for plinking ammo. Got tons (maybe 4000 pieces) of brass, but most are crimped LC, once fired. I've already bought the bulk Sierra 1000 pack of 53gr bullets and now need a quick and easy way to remove that darn primer pocket crimp. I thought about getting the Dillon Swager, since I use and love Dillon stuff, but don't know much about them so don't know what the best tool for the job is. Experiences with the Dillon Swager or others?

thmpr
02-05-2007, 7:45 PM
I am planning to buy the swager as well...

dwtt
02-05-2007, 8:47 PM
I've used a swager for my .223 brass, and it works well. I prefer not to remove metal like with one of those cutters.

Ninja45
02-07-2007, 4:12 PM
Dillon swager it...you'll be happier!

Ninja45

Blue
11-02-2007, 5:39 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead! So aside from the Dillon tool, what else are our options? I'd rather blow $85 bucks on components or toolheads and dies than the swager.

NRAhighpowershooter
11-02-2007, 5:50 PM
I simply bought the Lyman crimp removal tool.. unscrewed the cutting head from the handle and chucked it up in my Mikita drill and used it that way...Lyman tool is something like $18 or so......

tujungatoes
11-02-2007, 5:50 PM
I've got an rcbs swager die kit that I bought used at a gun show for $20. Works *****in'. check ebay

toes

Jicko
11-02-2007, 6:00 PM
Dillion

Blue
11-02-2007, 6:08 PM
I've got an rcbs swager die kit that I bought used at a gun show for $20. Works *****in'. check ebay

toes

I might have to find something like that but I think I'd need to get a single stage press to use it. It won't work on a Dillon right? IIRC the RCBS one has the little nipple thing on a shell holder type setup right?

anyracoon
11-02-2007, 6:20 PM
Dillon is the only way to go. I have a RCBS press mounted unit that I was not impressed with nor the crimp remover tool for the RCBS Trim Mate Prep Center.

ocabj
11-02-2007, 6:25 PM
The RCBS works to remove the crimp, but the way you get the case off the crimp head is 'rough'. You basically use force to 'kick' the case off the press ram. I no longer have the kit (sold it after I got the Dillon), so I can't record a video demonstrating it.

But here's some pictures (click for 1024x768 resolution):

http://www.ocabj.net/photos/handloading_guide/primerswage01_t.jpg (http://www.ocabj.net/photos/handloading_guide/primerswage01.jpg)

http://www.ocabj.net/photos/handloading_guide/primerswage02_t.jpg (http://www.ocabj.net/photos/handloading_guide/primerswage02.jpg)

If you look at the swaging button, you'll notice there's a collar that goes over the ram. When you bring the ram back down, the collar hits the press frame which then has no where to go but up as the ram keeps going down. This action will kick/eject the case off the swaging button.

TonyM
11-02-2007, 8:30 PM
I use a super swage.

Here's a video someone posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKVc3m2D5YA

jdberger
11-02-2007, 9:06 PM
:DDillon swager and a 5 year old....

Everyone works

(my 4 year old runs the trimmer....)

Franksremote
11-02-2007, 9:15 PM
Getta 1050 ;) :p

ar15barrels
11-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Getta 1050 ;) :p

Of course that's the best suggestion as the 1050 swages every case that goes through it.

However, I also have a simple method for removing crimps that almost anyone with a case trimmer and deburring tool can do.
Using the pointed end of the deburring tool, simply deburr the edge of the primer pocket until the crimp is gone.
It only takes a couple turns, much like deburring a case mouth, but you push harder on the primer pocket.

tujungatoes
11-02-2007, 11:03 PM
The RCBS works to remove the crimp, but the way you get the case off the crimp head is 'rough'.

Mine is pretty smooth. I'd say it's probably a lot gentler on the brass than any autoloader you might fire it in. IMO

Yeah Blue84s10 I don't think it'd work on your progressive.

ocabj
11-03-2007, 1:27 PM
Mine is pretty smooth. I'd say it's probably a lot gentler on the brass than any autoloader you might fire it in. IMO

My concern is not with hurting the brass. My concern is the extraneous forces and wear on the press (especially the ram).

dwtt
11-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead! So aside from the Dillon tool, what else are our options? I'd rather blow $85 bucks on components or toolheads and dies than the swager.

I bought my swager off ebay for $25 or so. It fits my single stage press and does a great job. You can buy a single stage press just for the swaging without spending a lot of money.

ar15barrels
11-03-2007, 10:18 PM
So aside from the Dillon tool, what else are our options?
I'd rather blow $85 bucks on components or toolheads and dies than the swager.

If you ever get your hands on a Dillon swager, you will understand why they charge so much.

I have one for the rare occaisions I run into brass that I want to swage that will NOT otherwise run through one of my 1050's

I also have the RCBS kit shown above.
Night-and-Day difference between the two different options.

ETD1010
11-04-2007, 12:20 PM
am I doing something wrong? I just pop the primer out and load another.. the crimped brass has never cause a problem for me. It's not any harder to load a primer in a previously crimped case than a non-crimped one.... Nothing's broken so far.... :cool:

randy
11-04-2007, 3:28 PM
The easiest way for me to do it is load them on my 1050.

ocabj
11-04-2007, 4:01 PM
am I doing something wrong? I just pop the primer out and load another.. the crimped brass has never cause a problem for me. It's not any harder to load a primer in a previously crimped case than a non-crimped one.... Nothing's broken so far.... :cool:

It's because there was no primer crimp to begin with on the brass you are reloading.

Kiba
11-04-2007, 5:41 PM
My two cents are about the same as everyone elses:

Use a Dillon, via either a 1050 (expensive way) or their Super Swager (much less expensive way.)

I have an RCBS swager for my Rockchucker and after using it for no more than 6-8 pieces of brass I put the buckets of LC .308 brass away until my Dillon Super Swage arrived.

.22guy
11-04-2007, 5:43 PM
How do you tell if it's crimped or not? Say on a .223 brass case?

Kiba
11-04-2007, 5:49 PM
How do you tell if it's crimped or not? Say on a .223 brass case?

I'll see if I can find pictures, but if the entry to the primer pocket has a slight radius then it's not crimped. If the entry to the primer pocket is squared off/sharp or has multiple indentations around it then it is likely a crimped primer pocket.

Scroll down on this page for an example of one type of primer crimping:

http://jeffersonian.name/reload-r.html

.22guy
11-04-2007, 7:41 PM
Thanks, Kiba. That is a great general reloading page as well.

psriley
11-04-2007, 9:53 PM
+1 on the Dillon swager. I mounted it and an RCBS TrimPro on a 12x4x1 hunk of board which I clamp to my reloading bench when it's time to process mystery brass. Very smooth and rapid way to process.

I've done the chucking the Lyman bit in my drill press method before too, and while it works, it's kind of a hassle. Plus, the Lyman bit is only good for around 500 cases or so before it gets unusably dull.

ar15barrels
11-04-2007, 10:48 PM
I've done the chucking the Lyman bit in my drill press method before too, and while it works, it's kind of a hassle. Plus, the Lyman bit is only good for around 500 cases or so before it gets unusably dull.

I guess I'm not the only one that ran into this...

Santa Cruz Armory
11-04-2007, 11:22 PM
So is the RCBS trim mate even worth it for crimp removal?? it looks like it would be good for everyday case prep as well.

mecam
11-05-2007, 7:42 AM
I just use this Hornady $8 reamer and 12v cordless drill and I can do 600 cases an hour.

http://www.10374.com/temp/hreamer.jpg

ETD1010
11-06-2007, 11:01 PM
It's because there was no primer crimp to begin with on the brass you are reloading.

I thought all M193, M855, IMI, and other military rounds had crimped primers. In fact, I can SEE the crimp quite clearly. . . Either way, I've never had an issue reloading them. I CAN tell there is more push required to pop them out, but not re-insert a new one.