PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 parts opinions

dirtykoala
10-01-2011, 9:28 AM
I just ordered some parts for my 10/22, then figured I should get some more experienced opinions on the parts that I ordered in case I should change the order or something.

Parts ordered:

Power Custom Competition Trigger Kit
http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=89

Shilen Match Grade Barrel, .920dia, 1 in 16, 20", blued, chrome moly
http://www.shilen.com/rugerBarrels.html

Houge Overmold for the .920 diameter barrel
http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html

I have a barska plinker scope that has been working fine for now, but i do plan to upgrade it in the future.

GUNNTZ
10-01-2011, 9:52 AM
On the first two I think you did just fine, a bit expensive but the quality is superior. You might not care for the stock. Some guys love'em and others hate them. I personally went with a wood thumb hole with a raised cheek. You'll have a real nice 10/22 when done.

dirtykoala
10-01-2011, 9:55 AM
The stock was my biggest concern in the purchase, but I figured if I don't like it I can put it up for sale here and not lose too much on it and get something else. It was too scary to buy a $300 stock without knowing what it felt like!

GUNNTZ
10-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Did you happen to check out kidd designs stuff? His quality and pricing is stellar for the 10/22. I've bought most of internals stuff there, the rest from where ever I got the best price.

dirtykoala
10-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Did you happen to check out kidd designs stuff? His quality and pricing is stellar for the 10/22. I've bought most of internals stuff there, the rest from where ever I got the best price.

i would have gotten a kidd 2 stage trigger if it wasnt $300, its probably worth it, but im just getting my feet wet with this 10/22. i was also looking at the volquartsen kits, but those were also pretty pricey.

is there any advantage to a drop in kit over a parts kit other than ease of installation? i figured id be saving money by installing the parts myself?

the kidd barrel for $175 is a really fair price, but i also found the shilen for $180 on sale at midway. any big difference in the 2?

GUNNTZ
10-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Not much difference in the barrel and the drop in parts kits are the way to go unless you want a metal trigger assembly. I went on the cheap and lazy way on my build.

Fajen thumb hole stock
Ruger factory match barrel
KIDD bolt
KIDD buffer
KIDD receiver pins
Hornet 2 stage trigger assembly

Ditching the stock bolt really helped kill the miss fires/light hits. Leftover parts=new stock plinker. Bought a used receiver and refinished. Two rugers for about 600, obviously one is a bit better :D

aermotor
10-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Everything looks good to me. I really like my Hogue stock but you might prefer something more like the one below if it'd going to be a bench rest shooter. I have the Hogue on my plinker/off hand shooter and love it.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Boyds-TactiCool-RUGER-10-22-p/600-410.htm

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/yjt7u.4bkax/v/vspfiles/photos/600-410-2.jpg

ojisan
10-01-2011, 10:51 AM
The Power Custom parts are great, I use their hammer / sear kits.
Some find the Hogue overmold stock to be a little flexy, but this is a matter of taste.
For a pure benchrest rifle, a heavier and stiffer stock is often preferred...but this can make the gun too heavy and not-fun for kneeling or off-hand use.
The real solution is to have several 10/22s set-up different ways.

dirtykoala
10-01-2011, 11:06 AM
It won't be just bench resting, it will need to be good for bench resting but I also plan to use it with a sling for apple seed; standing, kneeling and prone.

I'm somewhat concerned that the houge stock and heavy barrel will make the rifle too front heavy, I guess I'll see.

Gem1950
10-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Everything looks good to me. I really like my Hogue stock but you might prefer something more like the one below if it'd going to be a bench rest shooter. I have the Hogue on my plinker/off hand shooter and love it.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Boyds-TactiCool-RUGER-10-22-p/600-410.htm

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/yjt7u.4bkax/v/vspfiles/photos/600-410-2.jpg

^^^ DITTO

me109g4
10-02-2011, 1:04 PM
I put a Green Mountain 18"? .920 barrel on mine, then machined out the factory laminated stock to fit. A bit of bedding around the barrel block to stock area and some up front for the barrel set it in nicely. I put a drop in trigger kit in, squared up the bolt in the machine shop and put an old (70's) Tasco variable scope on it. Gotta say its one accurate piece. Likes the Federal bulk from Walmart, it hates the Remington bulk.

XDRoX
10-02-2011, 1:19 PM
The Shilen barrel is one of the nicest barrels in the world, but you pay for it. IMO you'll get almost the same accuracy out of an $89 Green Mountain. I have a couple GM barrels that can put 5 shots through one ragged hole at 50 yards. Not sure I'd notice a difference with a $300 Shilen. Drop in barrels can only get so accurate without being threaded into the receiver.

So if it's not too late, you won't be unhappy with a GM. Or you may want to consider an aluminum barrel if you want to shoot offhand. These barrels get heavy fast, especially a 20".

I really like PC parts. Just as good as VQ IME.

Just some thoughts.

Palmer Boys
10-02-2011, 2:24 PM
I agree with XDRoX. I have built three customs and they are all great shooters and they all have GM barrels. Unless you are going to do all the other work and buy all the other top dollar parts money like that on a barrel is well like putting 22s on an old pick up it will look better but thats about it. You will not receive the true benifit from the Shilen barrel unless you go with all match grade parts. Also I totally agree with going with a lighter barrel If I had it to do over I would go with a Tec Sol or something carbon Fiber they cost a little extra but the weight is a killer after a little while off hand...

trob
10-02-2011, 2:42 PM
I would go volquartsen instead of PC trigger components. I would not get a hogue if you're going for accuracy. And I would also get a green mountain barrel (I love their sporter barrels).

aermotor
10-02-2011, 11:22 PM
It won't be just bench resting, it will need to be good for bench resting but I also plan to use it with a sling for apple seed; standing, kneeling and prone.

I'm somewhat concerned that the houge stock and heavy barrel will make the rifle too front heavy, I guess I'll see.

Do yourself a favor then and get the Tactical Solutions Aluminum Heavy Barrel. It's the absolute perfect combo with the Hogue stock; the balance is amazing. I think no matter what heavy barrel you have, you will have a very heavy front end.... (sans the Tactical Solutions)

dirtykoala
10-03-2011, 12:48 AM
i tried to change some things around with my order but it said it already shipped... i was expecting to have until monday, but oh well.

thanks for the input all, ill let you know how it shoots and how i think it feels in my noob opinion. im a little more confident that i got quality parts now, maybe another build will come in the future.

I just got the 10/22 during the big5 labor day sale. i dunno what it is about the gun that makes it so fun to shoot.