PDA

View Full Version : Odd malfunction bent my magazine.

Dannicus
10-01-2011, 8:41 AM
Shooting the Kimber UCII yesterday with WWB FMJs and I had a malfunction I've never had before. One round fired and felt normal, but didn't extract at all. Then the next round tried to feed and ramped itself upward against the back of the stuck casing. This caused the rim of the new round to bend out the lips of the mag to the extent that it wouldn't feed more than one round at a time and it would no longer drop freely from the gun.

Any ideas as to what could have caused this? I was thinking that the chamber might be too tight because i couldn't budge the casing until it cooled, then it just pulled right out.

Matt P
10-01-2011, 10:59 AM
It would be my opinion that one malfunction of the type you had would not suggest a specific issue with that handgun other then a failure to extract.

The basic questions would have to be addressed,
-Have you removed the barrel and inspected the chamber for foreign material/burrs?
-Anything under the hook of the extractor?
-How many times has it been fired?
-How many other malfunctions has it had?
-New handgun, purchased used?
-Kimber brand magazine?
-Other issues with failures to extract?

To me it seems as just a unique malfunction that damaged the magazine.
Since I have been shooting my 1911s so much lately, I now carry a pistol cleaning rod for those dreaded failures to extract.
My issue would be Matts reloads more then anything else.
I have had issues with shooting 1911s that I simply never had shooting my polymer based handguns.

Dannicus
10-01-2011, 2:22 PM
The gun should be getting nearly run-in. That malfunction happened at around #375 with a Mec-Gar mag. There was nothing under the extractor and no immediately apparent debris in the chamber after pulling the casing. Never had a failure to extract; a couple of very minor FTFs, tho.

corvetteguy
10-02-2011, 7:44 AM
That's not an uncommon malfunction, it's known as a type 3 or double feed. The cause is often the extractor, the magazine, or limp wristing the pistol. Type 3's can come as a single round stuck on the feed ramp also, but you got the more complex version. If it happens again check your extractor for proper tension.

David

osxgp
10-02-2011, 8:12 PM
Ultra compact 1911s tend to have problems no matter who makes it. That is why you don't see ultra compacts from companies like Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. Kimber makes them because there is a market for them, but the reliability isn't there compared to the commander length slides. That has been stated in numerous articles in gun magazines. I never had a problem with my Springfirld V-10 ultra compact but that may have been because the barrel was ported. My suggestion is to take the gun into a qualified gunsmith to have it inspected for reliability and safety.

Dannicus
10-02-2011, 8:45 PM
Ultra compact 1911s tend to have problems no matter who makes it. That is why you don't see ultra compacts from companies like Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. Kimber makes them because there is a market for them, but the reliability isn't there compared to the commander length slides. That has been stated in numerous articles in gun magazines. I never had a problem with my Springfirld V-10 ultra compact but that may have been because the barrel was ported. My suggestion is to take the gun into a qualified gunsmith to have it inspected for reliability and safety.

I'm not about to bring it to a smith over one double feed within the break-in period.:rolleyes: I may never see another malfunction like this on this gun. I started this thread so that I could get a little input on what to check in case I missed something.

There are plenty of horror stories about the reliability of "officer" type 1911s, but I have yet to experience anything that would worry me; in this gun or my RIA compact.