View Full Version : Shotgun Choices

02-05-2007, 5:35 PM
What would you pick between these shotguns for trap?

Remington Competition
Remington 105CTI
Browning Gold
Benelli Lightweight

Please help me with your choice and why?

Ricky B
02-06-2007, 9:16 AM
I would be concerned about any lightweight gun for trap. You want a gun that will absob recoil, which requires weight. It's simple physics. The only way to reduce the recoil with a given load is to increase the weight of the gun. You can reduce the perception of recoil by smoothing it out so the shooter receives the same of recoil but over a slightly longer time, and that is o.k. too. But if there is too much recoil, or if you perceive too much recoil, you may eventually develop a flinch, something you really don't want to develop in any shooting sport. Thus, my concern with a gun that is lightweight.

02-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Just to get trap done you just need any shotgun with the right choke and 26" to 30" barrel.

If the snob factor is in play you'll need at least a Browning Citori up to Perazzi and beyond.

Of the guns you listed I'd get the 105CTi. The if the "Competition" is the Competition Master its barrel is too short at 21".

new cal shooter
02-06-2007, 3:01 PM
Browning Gold, never let me down, been thru a few and always go back to the gold, just remember you get what you pay for :)

02-06-2007, 5:09 PM
For trap I'd pick the 1100 competition I 'spose since it is backbored and specially tuned for light load patterning for clays...plus it looks pimp for respect at the range (well, as much as a remington is going to get anyhow).

the benelli lightweight is purpose built and the bbl is too short for trap, but it might be the hot ticket for skeet. it'l get rough with your shoulder I'd think. The last time I went quail hunting, I only used 12 shells. That is where that SG will shine..carrying it around.

the browning gold looks good too, but I have this on my long term wish list since I have a handgun agenda at present.
Browning XT Trap:clicky (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=057) this over under is MADE for Trap specifically. It would suck at other shooting endeavours since the rib lead is only made for rising targets.