PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal for me to store my firearms in California?

Fobjoe
09-30-2011, 9:15 PM
So, I live in Arizona but I frequently visit my parents in California on free weekends. Would it be alright for me to bring a couple firearms (in CA legal configuration) to California and store them there in my Dad's safe for use when I visit, rather than dealing with the hassle and risk of frequent flying back and forth? Thanks for your input.

CSACANNONEER
09-30-2011, 9:23 PM
IANAL but, here's my take on it:

There is no law against YOu storing legal firearms in another state. There are laws against loaning firearms to another person though. So, be careful and make sure that you are storing the firearms here rather than loaning them to your dad to store.

timdps
09-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Put them in locked cases in his safe?

Tim

mdimeo
09-30-2011, 10:48 PM
long term loans are illegal. But your legal risk is pretty damn low if everyone keeps their mouth shut. For example, by not posting on a public forum :)

WDE91
09-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Put them in locked cases in his safe?

Tim

locked case=good chance of rust

I would run gun locks through them as opposed to have the chance of rust

oni.dori
10-01-2011, 1:00 AM
I would personally think that your best bet would be to buy your own safe, that only "you" have access to, then install it in a location of your parent's house with their permission. In essence, you could "rent" the space for your safe. IMHO, that would be your safest bet (no pun intended), but INAL.

timdps
10-01-2011, 9:50 AM

I would run gun locks through them as opposed to have the chance of rust

Good point on the rust.

Trigger locks/gun locks all using the same key?

Ubermcoupe
10-01-2011, 10:25 AM

I would run gun locks through them

I like this idea.

OR you could always gift them to pops (assuming he would gift them back to you at some point - my old man would keep mine :D)

paul0660
10-01-2011, 10:45 AM
long term loans are illegal. But your legal risk is pretty damn low if everyone keeps their mouth shut. For example, by not posting on a public forum :)

This is the answer to many questions.

tpuig
10-01-2011, 2:52 PM
You could rent storage space at your dad's house for $1...

ke6guj
10-01-2011, 3:27 PM
OR you could always gift them to pops (assuming he would gift them back to you at some point - my old man would keep mine :D)but in that case, he'd have to transfer them through a CA FFL in order to gift them to his father, unless he likes committing federal felonies.

vincewarde
10-01-2011, 4:02 PM
Another option might be for you to write up a rental agreement for "slots" in his safe. I would have it notarized to prove that the agreement predated any problem.

In addition, if possible, I would use a simple lock to secure them in the safe. It does not have to be strong, just any kind of locking system that only you have keys to.