PDA

View Full Version : SWFA 1-4x vs Vortex Viper 1-4x

HK Dave
09-30-2011, 2:50 PM
Hey guys, anyone looked through both and used both? I haven't been able to and was hoping for your opinions.

I prefer the SWFA 1-4x with T reticle over the Donut.

With the current sale at SWFA, when it's all said and done, the SWFA can be had for about $100 more than the Vortex so money wise it's not really that important.

From what I can tell the SWFA has some advantages...

-Much Brighter Illumination
-Supposedly higher resolving and contrasty glass
-Tougher Build
-FFP (Not sure if this is even worth it on a 1-4x scope)

But from what I've been able to find, a lot of people prefer the Vortex... but I wonder if they've actually looked through the SWFA.

Any thoughts?

uscbigdawg
09-30-2011, 7:12 PM
FFP is so not necessary at this magnification range.

Rich

HK Dave
09-30-2011, 7:35 PM
I think swfa used the ffp to change the reticle to work differently at close range vs longer range rather then for accurate mils. I do agree with you thought about the not needing ffp though. :)

jonnietyler
10-05-2011, 8:44 PM
I've got the SWFA 1-4X with T-reticle and target turrets. I'd highly recommend it. At 1X, I shoot just as fast with the SWFA as I do with my Aimpoint Micro red dot.

After learning the mil system, I definitely prefer it over a BDC reticle. I think I would have preferred a marine mil-dot instead of the hash marks.

Early versions of the SWFA 1-4X had problems with flickering illumination. However, they changed the circuit board and battery springs and the problem has been resolved.

I haven't used the Vortex, but check out this review. The review compares SWFA vs Vortex and other 1-4X scopes.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491668

esskay
10-06-2011, 10:13 PM
How bright is the illumination? Do you have something you can compare it to? e.g. "similar to Aimpoint T-1 at the 6 setting"

Thanks

goodlookin1
10-23-2011, 11:19 AM
As I understand it, the illumination isnt brighter on the SS, it's just that the reticle is wider and bolder, so it shows up more. Both of them are "daylight visible", but I woudl say that neither of them are 100% "daylight practical". If you're thinking it's going to be as bright as any red dot or eotech, think again.....they are both far, far from it. Here's my review of the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24.

I have the Vortex and I like it a lot, but the HD glass of the SS is very enticing. I'd say save your money and go with the Vortex if you're going to be shooting inside of 400-500 yards. Glass is really nice for the price. But if you're going out further than that, then definitely get the SS because the HD glass will give you a discernible resolution difference.

I also dont see the benefit of the FFP of the SS in a 1-4x scope.

jonnietyler
10-23-2011, 10:56 PM
How bright is the illumination? Do you have something you can compare it to? e.g. "similar to Aimpoint T-1 at the 6 setting"
Thanks

On a fresh battery, the SWFA at max intensity (11) is comparable to my Aimpoint Micro R-1 at 7/8.

Both of them are "daylight visible", but I woudl say that neither of them are 100% "daylight practical". If you're thinking it's going to be as bright as any red dot or eotech, think again.....
I also dont see the benefit of the FFP of the SS in a 1-4x scope.

If “daylight practical” means you can “use” the illumination during a bright sunny day, then yes the SWFA is definitely daylight practical. I’ve used the SWFA on a bright, sunny, in So Cal day and I had no problem seeing the illumination.

The biggest benefit I see for the FFP on the SWFA is that at 1X, the reticle is thick and bold and very quick to pick up. At 4X, the thick bold reticle moves to the edge of my field of view and the thinner mil-hash cross hair expands for a more precise long distance shot.

I’ve never looked through a Vortex PST. But from photos that I’ve seen, only the semi-circle looks to be illuminated. The mil-hash marks are NOT illuminated.

When I shot at 400-500 yd targets with a dark background, it was very helpful to have the mil-hash marks be illuminated to estimate my holdover.

HK Dave
10-24-2011, 8:06 AM
I picked up the SWFA for my wife and let me tell you, the reticle is BRIGHT. It's very usable during bright sunny days.

The thing is a work of art.

I've heard differently about the Vortex in terms of illumination. (Will be getting one anyhow for one of my rifles)

goodlookin1
10-24-2011, 5:12 PM
In one review of a side by side comparison, I read that the illumination brightness between the two were on par with each other HERE (http://www.vitaminpwww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491668#Post2491668), but the boldness/wideness of the SS popped out more because it is bigger than the Vortex.

By "Daylight Practical", I simply meant that it gives you (well, I can really only speak for myself) no practical benefit during the day. It's not showing up like an Eotech or Aimpoint in terms of brightness and how much it stands out against the background. Sure, they're both "visible" in that you can tell it's on, but IMHO, they are not bright enough to draw your eye to the reticle like an Eotech. You can point one of those at anything (maybe even the sun....but dont) and it will show up much brighter than the background. I cannot say the same for any 1-4x scope I have seen to date. Maybe I need to get out more :rolleyes:

As for the hash marks, at dusk they glow by light bleed, I suppose. I dont know if that is intentional or not, but they certainly show up when illuminated. In daylight though, they do not. The only thing meant to be used in the day with illumination is the larger circle and the center dot. In my reticle pics, you can tell in a few pics that the hash marks light up when dark, but not in daylight. Look here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=447754

dmceuend
10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Another scope to consider is the Millet DMS 1-4x24. This scope on the Burris P.E.P.R mount is a great combo for the money.(about 300$)It has dot in dounut illumination on the T reticle as well. I have been running this set up on my flat top AR for awhile now and am very happy with performance.