PDA

View Full Version : Gun in a safe any burglar walks in is it enough time?

chrisf
09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I keep an ar-15 by my nightstand and a ruger p95 on my nightstand (I have no kids just me and my wife) If a burglar walks in and your gun is in a safe, How would you use the gun you bought as home defense if its in a safe? I know some of you guys have kids and that I completely understand. I just wanted to know if you guys actually feel safe?

cfusionpm
09-30-2011, 12:01 PM
GunVault safes. I have the Multi Deluxe, and a quick 4 button press releases the spring loaded door. Can get it open and the gun out in about 2 seconds. I keep both the Springfield XDM and Beretta 92FS in there, each with 1 full mag. XDM is wearing a TLR-1 light.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/multi-multi-deluxe.html

Steve1968LS2
09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Too many variables like size and layout of the house.. but for the most part a gun locked in a safe is about as useful for HD as one that is unloaded.

Mine are locked in the safe during the day, at night I take out one that is loaded and it's either on my desk while I work in my office or on the nightstand while we sleep. In the morning it goes back in the safe.

If we had kid the deal would be amended to possibly have it in a quick access lockbox by the bed and then back in the safe in the AM..

Us3rName
09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
when I am home. my safe is unlocked.

When I leave the house. It is locked and secured.

no reason to have my safe locked when I am home. (I have no kids)

Tripper
09-30-2011, 12:06 PM
keeping a gun outside the safe is a heavy decision on anyone
you hit the nail on the head with the fact you have no kids.

we all are in varying degrees of risk

I'm now willing to accept the responsibility of having a firearm close to me, outside the safe, but, I would not have done that 5 years ago. my kids are old enough now, that I dont have the same risk as i did then.

Us3rName
09-30-2011, 12:07 PM
If kids are present. Definitely lock up the safe. unless your room is a room not accessible to guest/kids.

chrisf
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Lol I couldn't believe the responses so fast. First off thanks for you guys with kids being responsible, The last thing anyone needs is for something like that to happen to a child. Secondly, I was asking this for future reference, When we decide to have children. BTW cfusionpm the way you hold your ar is how I hold mine everyone stares at me on the range because I never hold it by the hand guard always by the mag well, I can keep it more steady, And it just feel more comfortable. I think I'm going to make a new quote for this one, Tell me if its cal gunner approved. "Having a gun locked in a safe is about as useful as an hd television with basic cable" ahh sounds pretty dumb ohwell.

CessnaDriver
09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
No kids, have the quick opening gun vault and from the farthest point in the house it's at worst 15 seconds until it's in my hand with extra mags in there too. At best as others have said takes only a few seconds to open.

It's a compromise solution.

I will not leave a firearm in the home too easily accessed as I do not want to come home to an intruder that shoots me with my own gun.

gatesbox
09-30-2011, 12:18 PM
My safe is in a safe room set up very close. My plan is to get everyone in the safe room and defend the room while we wait for LEOs. And yes we all sleep in the same room but that is a whole different thread, can't get the kids to sleep in their room. I also do not have an alarm but have the harbor freight motion alert, kinda like a door bell. I expect to have plenty of time from the breaking of a door, window, or motion alarm to get to the safe. I also keep a old cell phone charged by the safe (no service plan just 911) to call out. I have never planned on trying to clear the home on my own, but hunker down and the first BG to come around the corner gets "00" deterrent.

Tripper
09-30-2011, 12:21 PM
futurewise for you, i'm sure it will be all up to interpretation, and how your kids are.
do they have access to your room for example while you are sleeping with a gun in the nightstand, are you a light sleeper, once they can crawl, can they reach the drawer, once they can walk etc...

In the event of a intruder, do your kids know what to do, while keeping in mind that you might have a gun at the ready. Are you prepared, do you know what to do in the event of an intruder, or have you decided what action you might take and under what circumstances/conditions. what your intended actions might be in the case of an intruder should be shared. do you clear the house, do you remain still (might not be an option with kids) lots of dynamics at play, and the game can change so rapidly.

Tripper
09-30-2011, 12:22 PM
My safe is in a safe room set up very close. My plan is to get everyone in the safe room and defend the room while we wait for LEOs. And yes we all sleep in the same room but that is a whole different thread, can't get the kids to sleep in their room. I also do not have an alarm but have the harbor freight motion alert, kinda like a door bell. I expect to have plenty of time from the breaking of a door, window, or motion alarm to get to the safe. I also keep a old cell phone charged by the safe (no service plan just 911) to call out. I have never planned on trying to clear the home on my own, but hunker down and the first BG to come around the corner gets "00" deterrent.

thats the kind of planning I'm referring to

tacticalcity
09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Since I don't have kids, the first thing I do when I get home (after visiting my "office" and reading the latest gun mag for 10 minutes or so) is unlock the safe and pull the door wide open. Again, since I don't have kids I keep the loaded magazines in the top storage area of the safe, the handguns and handing on handgars below the shelf with the grips facing out (for easy access), and the rifles are stacked along the wall seperated by spacers (again for easy access).

If I had to unlock it, then load up the guns, all while somebody was breaking in...that just would not work.

The purpose of the safe is to keep the burglar from steeling my guns while I am not home. It is not to keep anybody living there out of it. If I had kids it would be a totally different story, and I would do things very differently.

starsnuffer
09-30-2011, 1:09 PM
Depends on how well trained your dog is.

You did get a dog and train it before you put the gun on the nightstand, right?

-W

dan12580
09-30-2011, 1:18 PM
dont shoot your ar in your house. ar's in my opinion are a terrible choice for home defense.

gotshotgun?
09-30-2011, 1:52 PM
dont shoot your ar in your house. ar's in my opinion are a terrible choice for home defense.

Probably wise logic here

jak77
09-30-2011, 1:56 PM
Gun comes out of the safe when home, goes back in when I leave.

For those of you who keep your pistol, shotgun, etc. on your nightstand like I do (not in a gunvault or something similar), keep the door to your room locked. I've read too many stories (including one recently on this forum) of burglars breaking into people homes and stealing things right out of the room the homeowners are sleeping in. If that were to happen to you, you just gave the bad guy a weapon if he didnt already have one. Just food for thought.

Lead Waster
09-30-2011, 2:01 PM
Well the answer is simple. If you buy a handgun for home defense, then use it for home defense ... outside of the safe or in a gunvault safe. If you have guns for the range, they sit in the safe waiting to go to the range, they are NOT for home defense.

My home defense is a heavy flashlight, until I can secure my shotgun in my closet in some reasonable fashion that would be safe with my kids around and safe from the cleaning lady shooting herself.

Lead Waster
09-30-2011, 2:03 PM
Gun comes out of the safe when home, goes back in when I leave.

For those of you who keep your pistol, shotgun, etc. on your nightstand like I do (not in a gunvault or something similar), keep the door to your room locked. I've read too many stories (including one recently on this forum) of burglars breaking into people homes and stealing things right out of the room the homeowners are sleeping in. If that were to happen to you, you just gave the bad guy a weapon if he didnt already have one. Just food for thought.

I have a friend who (foolishly) left his patio door open, relying on his "really tall 8 foot fence) as protection from burglars. They came in, stole his laptop, xbox, etc, etc ... while the whole family slept soundly. If he had a shotgun by his bed, it would be gone too.

People .. LOCK YOUR DOORS! At least force the invader/burglar to make noise and wake you up! HD guns are useless if you are asleep.

Lead Waster
09-30-2011, 2:06 PM
If kids are present. Definitely lock up the safe. unless your room is a room not accessible to guest/kids.

There really is no room that is inaccessible to kids (over a certain age). Do you remember any room you couldn't get into when you were, say 12 years old?

jimmykan
09-30-2011, 2:09 PM
If the burglar has the drop on you, there may not even be enough time to draw a loaded gun from your belt holster!

odysseus
09-30-2011, 2:12 PM
Well just to add to which is a common sense topic if you have kids, one thing to consider is that for me - no one is getting into the house without major noise occurring even, maybe more so especially, when we are asleep. Unless you are some ninja skilled shadow warrior from the movies, coming in is going to cause a raucous on a couple of levels with bright lights outside glaring.

BayouBullets
09-30-2011, 2:19 PM
There really is no room that is inaccessible to kids (over a certain age). Do you remember any room you couldn't get into when you were, say 12 years old?

My gun room has a solid exterior style door and a deadbolt lock on it. I have the only keys. Can your hypothetical 12 yr. old get through that?

tacticalcity
09-30-2011, 2:23 PM
My gun room has a solid exterior style door and a deadbolt lock on it. I have the only keys. Can your hypothetical 12 yr. old get through that?

If he's like me he'll snag the keys when you're not looking. At some point we set them down and take off to do other things around the house. So there is a risk to it. But you can only do so much and go so far. Eventually the kid needs to be smart enough NOT to hurt himself.

My Dad never had a safe when I was a kid. The guns were stored iunloaded n the closet in leather and sheepskin cases. I never got into them. Not because I was affraid of my Dad, because I was affraid of the guns and wanted to live. If ever I wanted to see them I would ask my Dad and he and I would sit there together and check them out. If I wanted to shoot them we would go shooting.

They were just one of about hundred cool things my dad had. I was much more obsessed with riding the quads, scuba diving, going for rides in the rubster, taking trips in the Piper Cherokee single engine plane, and going waterskiing behind the cool ski boat to get into the guns. Dad had all the cool toys. Sold most of them to buy a vineyard a few years back. I miss the toys.

It wasn't until I joined the military and fired an M16 that my full on obsession with guns began.

That said, if ever a place was off limits, you bet I would have found a way in there - just to see what all the hubub was about. That was just the way I was. If it was treated like no big deal and I was granted access (even if supervised) then I was not drawn to it. If it was made off limits and huge deal was made out of it I was like a fly to fly paper.

JTROKS
09-30-2011, 2:25 PM
Depends on the scenario. Are you still wide awake when the burglar tries to break in or are you in a deep sleep being nudge by your better half? How long does it really take to get that weapon out from the time your wife attempts to awake you? My guess and estimation.
- Wife hears a noise and analyze if there's a threat. 5 - 10 seconds.
- Groggy and realizes I need to get up 5 - 10 seconds and activate plan.
- Up, but still trying to figure out what plan and combo to safe. 5 - 10 seconds.

Will it really take only 30 seconds at the most to activate a plan and employ a defensive stand? Only you can tell.

esartori
09-30-2011, 2:26 PM
I think with kids leaving it in a quick open safe, like the gunvault safes, is sufficient as long as u have other measures to know when someone enters your house (dog, etc)

tacticalcity
09-30-2011, 2:34 PM
Well just to add to which is a common sense topic if you have kids, one thing to consider is that for me - no one is getting into the house without major noise occurring even, maybe more so especially, when we are asleep. Unless you are some ninja skilled shadow warrior from the movies, coming in is going to cause a raucous on a couple of levels with bright lights outside glaring.

Making life hard on the daughter's (???future???) boyfriend I see. She'll have to put "ninja training required" on her online dating profile. ;)

Eljay
09-30-2011, 3:00 PM
re: kids The good news is that between the baby gates and the sharp plastic objects all over the house that'll slow them down some.

Sunday
09-30-2011, 3:07 PM
Only if your burglar is kind and understanding. You can't be too careful with kids.

Kosuki
09-30-2011, 3:16 PM
Lol I couldn't believe the responses so fast. First off thanks for you guys with kids being responsible, The last thing anyone needs is for something like that to happen to a child. Secondly, I was asking this for future reference, When we decide to have children. BTW cfusionpm the way you hold your ar is how I hold mine everyone stares at me on the range because I never hold it by the hand guard always by the mag well, I can keep it more steady, And it just feel more comfortable. I think I'm going to make a new quote for this one, Tell me if its cal gunner approved. "Having a gun locked in a safe is about as useful as an hd television with basic cable" ahh sounds pretty dumb ohwell.

Exactly could not had said it better. With kids you have to take that full process of securing your firearms. W/O Well then your options open up. Iv always said "What am I suppose to do, say 'Hold on Badguy/Gril let me go unlock my weapon, load it and then shoot you, you dont mind do you?' PFF YA RIGHT."

They say to keep your firearms locked to for safety...:facepalm:...Wait who safety, mine or the crooks? If I am suppose to keep the Crook safe then ill just throw my gun away so he will be safe... Ya right that would only happen when pigs fly...http://www.animateit.net/data/media/18/1pigflygif.gif Well maybe not when pigs fly but it will never happen in my home, if its my life or theirs... well its going to be theirs...

Have a good one guys/girl ^^

2nd Shot
09-30-2011, 4:24 PM
I keep a Glock in the equivalent of "condition 3" under my pillow, James Bond style. I unload, check, and return it to that condition nightly, usually with the lights off before I sleep for familiarity. I figure it an acceptable balance of fast enough into action, but reasonably resistant to accidental discharge.

I figure that by the time I realize that something is wrong, if an intruder didn't alert me by making unfamiliar noises in the process of breaking in where I have time to pick up my flashlight and shotgun, I may awaken to realize that there's somebody standing over me... If the intruder doesn't shoot on sight, they may not realize I'm awake or that I have a gun. Better than nothing.

Obviously, I have no kids or family, and nobody is authorized to go in my room.

shooterdude
09-30-2011, 4:32 PM
I keep an ar-15 by my nightstand and a ruger p95 on my nightstand (I have no kids just me and my wife) If a burglar walks in and your gun is in a safe, How would you use the gun you bought as home defense if its in a safe? I know some of you guys have kids and that I completely understand. I just wanted to know if you guys actually feel safe?

Move to a safer neighborhood.

shooterdude
09-30-2011, 4:34 PM
I keep a Glock in the equivalent of "condition 3" under my pillow, James Bond style. I unload, check, and return it to that condition nightly, usually with the lights off before I sleep for familiarity. I figure it an acceptable balance of fast enough into action, but reasonably resistant to accidental discharge.

I figure that by the time I realize that something is wrong, if an intruder didn't alert me by making unfamiliar noises in the process of breaking in where I have time to pick up my flashlight and shotgun, I may awaken to realize that there's somebody standing over me... If the intruder doesn't shoot on sight, they may not realize I'm awake or that I have a gun. Better than nothing.

I am guessing you have never seen a live naked women either....:facepalm:

Seiran
09-30-2011, 8:47 PM
I carry in my home. To quote a friend of mine "the bad guys come in prepared, why should you not be prepared for them?"

PanaDP
09-30-2011, 9:13 PM

Wow, people sometimes call it their "pillow gun" but I didn't think anybody actually did that. You clearly don't share a bed with a woman.

ChaneRZ
09-30-2011, 9:17 PM
loaded G27 with 3 mags in gun vault.

SDM44
09-30-2011, 9:30 PM
I have a kid at home who now likes to go through everything. I have nosy nephews who come over and also go through everything. I have friends that come over, but they don't go through my stuff.... but I still keep things out of reach and out of sight from them.

That being said, I have a few pistols stashed around the house, all in Gunvault safes where I can have it opened and the gun out in about 1-2 seconds. I also have a main big safe in the house with more guns (long guns, more pistols, ammo) that's centralized in my house, but that stays locked & closed at all times.

For me, the pistols in my Gunvaults are my go-to weapons when needed. From there, I'll use the pistol as a tool to get to my main safe if needed.

LDSGJimbo
09-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Those of us that have to keep them in a safe just pretend that we could defend ourselves so that we can sleep better.

Sent from my motorola with tapatalk.

DBoulant
09-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Heavy sleeper.

Wife will take care of it.

Brandon Marlow
10-01-2011, 12:46 AM
The State of California LOVES criminals and does NOT want you to shoot them.

Every state prison system is a BUSINESS and corrupt as can be. They want people INCARCERATED, not killed.

Brandon Marlow
10-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Only if your burglar is kind and understanding. You can't be too careful with kids.

Children are overrated.

tvfreakarms
10-01-2011, 1:38 AM
.308 i have as a home defense:D. No JK.
I think using an AR as a home defense is over kill and you may kill a neighbor.
Shotgun and a pistol is probably the best i think.

tvfreakarms
10-01-2011, 1:39 AM
Ditto.
If a 2yr old can't learn how to handle a weapon by then, well something is wrong with them if you ask me:)

Children are overrated.

Bobby Ricigliano
10-01-2011, 3:37 AM
Too many variables. A burglar that takes 3 minutes to pry a screen off is going to give you a lot more time than one who smashes the patio door and is inside in 3 seconds.

IMHO if you live in an urban, populated area, the AR is not a great HD weapon. There will be severe overpenetration depending on the loads you use.

GlockBlocker
10-01-2011, 3:59 AM
re: locked doors to make noise comments ...

i agree that doors should be locked, but picking locks is pretty quiet and doesn't take a ton of talent. not for the average front door lock you get at the hardware store anyway.

don't let door locks give you a stronger sense of security than they should.

supersonic
10-01-2011, 4:06 AM
Since I don't have kids, the first thing I do when I get home (after visiting my "office" and reading the latest gun mag for 10 minutes or so) is unlock the safe and pull the door wide open.

Boy would I hate to be in your shoes when/if a felon breaks into your place while you are in the shower or out in the yard, etc.!!:eek:

Code7inOaktown
10-01-2011, 7:59 AM
.308 i have as a home defense:D. No JK.
I think using an AR as a home defense is over kill and you may kill a neighbor.
Shotgun and a pistol is probably the best i think.

Tests have shown that 5.56 actually has very low penetration through walls. Lower than 9mm and 45 acoustic unless you you are using barrier blind rounds.

My issue with a carbine indoors would be the noise. I think permanent hearing damage if you lit off a few rounds in a hallway. I suppose the same can be said of a 12 gauge too though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

44fred
10-01-2011, 8:25 AM
Tests have shown that 5.56 actually has very low penetration through walls. Lower than 9mm and 45 acoustic unless you you are using barrier blind rounds.

My issue with a carbine indoors would be the noise. I think permanent hearing damage if you lit off a few rounds in a hallway. I suppose the same can be said of a 12 gauge too though.

Give this a looksy.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

626Tony
10-01-2011, 10:19 AM
I got a nice Saiga 12 waiting right under my bed!

EMT John
10-01-2011, 10:35 AM
My safe is in my bedroom and have no problem opening it quickly. Also revolver in gunvault in my nightstand.

As for kids. I don't have kids yet but I do have nieces and nephews that come over. I couldn't imagin leaving anything open or out for them to get a hold of. Personally I believe if you don't have any lockable safes or storage they should at least of a lock. You just never know.

Inquirer
10-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh, jeez, there are some seriously paranoid people in here. AR-15 for home defense by your bedside? I hope you sleep with earplugs in, cause the first round you let off is going to seriously disorient you, if not cause hearing damage. Frankly, I'd rather get robbed then yell "WHAT?" every time somebody started talking to me.

As for a safe being a liability - Biometric Safes like this one (http://www.gunvault.com//handgun-safes/microvault-biometric/mvb500.html) literally take a second to open, and you can put it anywhere. Don't really see how this is any different from keeping it in a drawer. And I certainly wouldn't keep it under my pillow. If a girl is going to feel anything hard in my bed, it had better be attached to me.

I think a lot of people here lose sight of what safety means. My reasoning behind wanting a gun in my home and for the range (one and the same, in my POU) is to keep me safe from worry, not to be so paranoid that I keep the damn thing closer than a woman.

If somebody breaks into my house, and I hear it, I will have enough time to grab my gun, slam my door, and tell whoever else is there to get under the bed and dial 911. In my room, dummying the movements, that takes about 8 seconds. No burglar will close the gap, break down my door, and get inside my room before I at least get to step four, at which point I'd be armed and others would be safe.

But then again, I may be a rare case. I think I'd only kill somebody if they posed a serious threat, not if they were trying to grab my TV. Blood-free hands are worth $900. But then again, I don't have a ton of nice stuff. Aside from my TV, it's my laptop, camera, and lenses.

And all of that will fit in a safe, next to my gun. ;)

--Inq

meaty-btz
10-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Keep the thief out as your first consideration. Then after you have fortified your home, then consider the time you have based on your floor-plan to react to someone who breaches your home defenses.

Ideally, the better your home is fortified the less chance you have to ever worry about the speed of access and even if they do get in the fortifications should slow them and alert you sooner giving you more time. If you have an unfortified house and have done nothing but buy a gun.. Good luck.

shooterdude
10-01-2011, 2:21 PM

Give this a looksy.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

+1 on the box o truth website....which shows 5.56 going through almost twice as much wall material as handguns.

LovingTheYear1911
10-01-2011, 3:38 PM
Inquirer: "Oh, jeez, there are some seriously paranoid people in here. AR-15 for home defense by your bedside? I hope you sleep with earplugs in, cause the first round you let off is going to seriously disorient you, if not cause hearing damage. Frankly, I'd rather get robbed then yell "WHAT?" every time somebody started talking to me."

Thats some funny stuff. And yes a .223 as home defense is crazy because as soon as you miss and hit your neighbor, you will be facing some serious trouble with the law. The whole sheet rock thing is phony, as the site mentioned proved it wrong and when I shoot bricks with my AR and it totally destroys them, its hard to believe it cant go through thick paper (dry wall).

I keep a loaded mag next to my bed and a pistol close by, out of sight.

chrisf
10-01-2011, 4:23 PM
Those of us that have to keep them in a safe just pretend that we could defend ourselves so that we can sleep better.

Sent from my motorola with tapatalk.

Thats what I think but I stay locked and loaded, And pray someone would try to walk in so I can get some target practice. I always tell my wife if someone can get past my rottweiler and my 50lb game pit bull (which isn't aggressive but will protect) I don't want to mess with them.

chrisf
10-01-2011, 4:26 PM
Inquirer: "Oh, jeez, there are some seriously paranoid people in here. AR-15 for home defense by your bedside? I hope you sleep with earplugs in, cause the first round you let off is going to seriously disorient you, if not cause hearing damage. Frankly, I'd rather get robbed then yell "WHAT?" every time somebody started talking to me."

Thats some funny stuff. And yes a .223 as home defense is crazy because as soon as you miss and hit your neighbor, you will be facing some serious trouble with the law. The whole sheet rock thing is phony, as the site mentioned proved it wrong and when I shoot bricks with my AR and it totally destroys them, its hard to believe it cant go through thick paper (dry wall).

I keep a loaded mag next to my bed and a pistol close by, out of sight.

There is rounds for home defense sir... And I have a handgun which would be option one rifle is for outdoors because of the flashlight, Im from texas home of the place were the cops tell you "if you shoot someone outside your house drag there *** back in" seriously... and btw if I wanted to have a 50 caliber machine gun next to my bed I could (if it were legal) because thats what I choose to do.

tacticalcity
10-01-2011, 4:33 PM
Boy would I hate to be in your shoes when/if a felon breaks into your place while you are in the shower or out in the yard, etc.!!:eek:

No yard, and if you saw the layout of my apartment you would not think so. The closet where the gun safe is located is in the Bedroom's bathroom area. The shower and toilet are in a small seperate room, then the large sink is right next to it and there are two very large closets in that same area. The gun safe is right there. So I would either hear or see him if I were in the shower. It's just not a valid concern.

At night when I sleep my 1911 or my Glock is the night stand. When I leave for work everything gets locked up.

One of these days I'm going to figure out what your issue is. If I make a post, you're there within a day to criticize it. Getting very annoying. For a guy who could be making money off my referrals, you sure know how to burn a bridge.

Inquirer
10-01-2011, 4:43 PM
There is rounds for home defense sir... And I have a handgun which would be option one rifle is for outdoors because of the flashlight, Im from texas home of the place were the cops tell you "if you shoot someone outside your house drag there *** back in" seriously... and btw if I wanted to have a 50 caliber machine gun next to my bed I could (if it were legal) because thats what I choose to do.

Yeah, you could, but you'd have a pretty tough time explaining the hole in your neighbor's neighbor's kid's bedroom wall to the cops when you've got blood coming out of yer stupid ears. And I'd highly advise you not to bring that Texas gunfighter **** any further west than Phoenix - cops like making their quota of convicted man-hours around here.

--Inq

Inquirer
10-01-2011, 4:48 PM
Thats what I think but I stay locked and loaded, And pray someone would try to walk in so I can get some target practice.

Ha, my god, I didn't even see this earlier. You are the worst kind of fool.

That is all.

meaty-btz
10-01-2011, 4:53 PM
I sense serious hostility flowing from Inquirer.

I will admit, I mostly forget that 90% of the people here are city folk where issues like penetration are a problem. My guess is they need Viagra if they are having penetration issues.

I live in California. I can walk out my back door fully armed with loaded rifles and pistols and think I am going to shoot SOMETHING and then proceed to do just that. Not every place in California is as jacked up as the cities are and most gunnies would happily watch the cities sink into the sea to get rid of the pervasive Progressivism that dominates them.

I have an 8mm Mauser and a 12 Gauge that I would feel perfectly comfortable using in an SD situation. Help for me is the Sheriff, arrival time is estimated to be 15-30 minutes. Except for my neighbors a good bit away, I am on my own. If I had a black-rifle or AK I would use it happily.

It is harvest time right now, that means I have cartel goons in the orchards right now. Not all field workers are gang/cartel goons, but some are. More than most people know.

Boy scout motto, Be Prepared. In the city be prepared, in the forest be prepared, in the field be prepared. Don't knock some people's choices in SD weapons or whine when they don't seem to care about wall penetration, for some of us, its a non-issue.

Inquirer
10-01-2011, 5:25 PM
I sense serious hostility flowing from Inquirer.

I will admit, I mostly forget that 90% of the people here are city folk where issues like penetration are a problem. My guess is they need Viagra if they are having penetration issues.

I live in California. I can walk out my back door fully armed with loaded rifles and pistols and think I am going to shoot SOMETHING and then proceed to do just that. Not every place in California is as jacked up as the cities are and most gunnies would happily watch the cities sink into the sea to get rid of the pervasive Progressivism that dominates them.

I have an 8mm Mauser and a 12 Gauge that I would feel perfectly comfortable using in an SD situation. Help for me is the Sheriff, arrival time is estimated to be 15-30 minutes. Except for my neighbors a good bit away, I am on my own. If I had a black-rifle or AK I would use it happily.

It is harvest time right now, that means I have cartel goons in the orchards right now. Not all field workers are gang/cartel goons, but some are. More than most people know.

Boy scout motto, Be Prepared. In the city be prepared, in the forest be prepared, in the field be prepared. Don't knock some people's choices in SD weapons or whine when they don't seem to care about wall penetration, for some of us, its a non-issue.

My issue is less with people living in the country who're 15 minutes away from help, and more with people who want people to break into their house so they can kill them.

I don't care how sound your argument for preparation may be - admittedly, it's not much more than xenophobic and biased - this joker is not helping your cause any. This isn't directed at you, but there are expressions for people who actively want to kill others, as well as diagnoses. And those people just give more ammo, metaphorically speaking, to those who would disarm us, as well as making the world a worse place. If you want to kill somebody so fcking bad, then sack up and join the Marines. Otherwise get therapy.

--Inq

meaty-btz
10-01-2011, 5:37 PM
. If you want to kill somebody so fcking bad, then sack up and join the Marines. Otherwise get therapy.

--Inq

Now that is a line I can agree with. No problem with being of a killer mind-set but if a warrior minded person you be go be a warrior. Most reasonable people, even folks like me, will train and train and train with the strongest hope to never, ever need the training.

Train for War, Pray for Peace. I to, do not understand how anyone would WANT to engage in a gun-battle. I can only assume they have never been shot, or shot at. From first hand experience, getting shot hurts boys and girls. Having nice, neat, holes punched in your body is not conducive to long life and happiness.

tvfreakarms
10-01-2011, 11:51 PM
just have a buck shot shotty with you. Have one of those electronic hearing protection by your bed side so that way you can hear the burglars and when you have to shot, you wont be saying "what" so often or getting a hearing aid at the age of 30 something or younger.

I just think AR or any other high powered rifles is over kill. Right now i plan on getting a 9mm glock for home protection and buying some bullets that are made for home defense where it won't penetrate outside my house if possible.

tvfreakarms
10-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Wise my man. :)

Now that is a line I can agree with. No problem with being of a killer mind-set but if a warrior minded person you be go be a warrior. Most reasonable people, even folks like me, will train and train and train with the strongest hope to never, ever need the training.

Train for War, Pray for Peace. I to, do not understand how anyone would WANT to engage in a gun-battle. I can only assume they have never been shot, or shot at. From first hand experience, getting shot hurts boys and girls. Having nice, neat, holes punched in your body is not conducive to long life and happiness.

ERdept
10-02-2011, 8:11 AM
My combo's first two numbers are always dialed.

I leave it so all I have to do is turn to the last number.

No one knows this, so if anyone outside the home messes with the tumbler, they scramble the numbers even more.

But all I have to do is dial the last number and turn the handle.

Takes literally, 6-8 seconds.

Lugiahua
10-02-2011, 8:57 AM
Door jammer is actually a good thing for home-defense, at least it could delay the intruder long enough till you get the weapons.

or it can be wield as a large club...:50:

Press Check
10-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Here's what we have to look forward to in California:

wypFgcqHyvc

BunnySlayer
10-02-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree with what others have said here. If a bad guy can just walk in to your home, your already dangerously behind the curve. A firearm should be your last layer of defense and a last resort. Hopefully, your other security measures, such as locked doors, secure windows, a dog, alarms and such will provide you with at least some warning before an intruder gets in. If not, you really need to evaluate your home security. Or move out of that cardbard box your living in. :)

all torque
10-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Having a gun ready to go to is great, but think about all the possible scenarios that could happen. You have to practice and go through the motions. A couple of months ago my alarm went off around 1:00Am, needless to say I was dead asleep. I didn't here the alarm but my wife did, so I wake up to her panicking telling me that someone was in the house. I will say that my reaction was as quick as I wanted it to be, I automatically jumped out of bed and reached for my night stand to get my gun. I attempted to dial my 4 digit code but never got through with it because my wife kept freaking out pressuring me to hurry up. I think I was moving so fast feeling rushed and felt like I was running out of time that I ended up bypassing my gun and knives and just ran downstairs with my phone in hand. I didn't even grab my flashlight:o. Luckily it was a false alarm or else who knows what could have happenned. Since then I have had a talk with the wife about trying not to freak out under this type of situation and explained again on what she is supposed to do or not do. So my point is train, train, train and think through all the likely scenarios that you may encounter in your household.

12voltguy
10-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Having a gun ready to go to is great, but think about all the possible scenarios that could happen. You have to practice and go through the motions. A couple of months ago my alarm went off around 1:00Am, needless to say I was dead asleep. I didn't here the alarm but my wife did, so I wake up to her panicking telling me that someone was in the house. I will say that my reaction was as quick as I wanted it to be, I automatically jumped out of bed and reached for my night stand to get my gun. I attempted to dial my 4 digit code but never got through with it because my wife kept freaking out pressuring me to hurry up. I think I was moving so fast feeling rushed and felt like I was running out of time that I ended up bypassing my gun and knives and just ran downstairs with my phone in hand. I didn't even grab my flashlight:o. Luckily it was a false alarm or else who knows what could have happenned. Since then I have had a talk with the wife about trying not to freak out under this type of situation and explained again on what she is supposed to do or not do. So my point is train, train, train and think through all the likely scenarios that you may encounter in your household.

you are the one that couldn't open your 4 digit safe, who freaked again?:facepalm:

Inquirer
10-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Damn, that is a high-strung couple right there. Might I suggest some Chamomile tea before bed?

--Inq

all torque
10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Like I stated on there, train and think about all teh scenarios.

tvfreakarms
10-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Man ur one heavy *** sleeper. If u dont wake up to a loud alarm i guess having a gun is pointless.

all torque
10-02-2011, 1:11 PM
I am a heavy sleeper but that was not the case, when you first open the door or arm the system it starts beeping for a certain amount of seconds before it goes off completely. This gives the owner a chance to turn off the alarm before it goes off, just in case you open the door by accident. The door was never opened, apparently when the battery on the remote(key fob) is running low it starts arming and disarming the alarm. Pretty crappy if you ask me, so I disarmed the remote never to be used again so we don't get this problem again.

2nd Shot
10-03-2011, 8:52 AM
LOL Shooterdude:

One would tend to think so but I have one that sleeps next to me most nights, and the best part is that she's about as good a shot with my pistols as I am, and familiar enough to load, unload, and pack/unpack them without any supervision.

On a serious note, if she wasn't as comfortable, careful or safe as she is with guns I couldn't have any guns any place she could get to. I suppose I should be thankful!

spits55
10-03-2011, 9:21 AM
Where do you live that you need an AR and a hand gun on the night stand? Yikes! (might want to move)
also have you ever thought that if someone breaks into your house when you are not home and could use your own weapons against you?

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 9:34 AM
Alarms are very different from the noise of somebody breaking in. You've actually trained your mind to ignore the alarm. Your subconcious hears the alarm and says to itself, "eff that I'm too darn tired to deal with waking up" so you tune it out and sleep right threw it. So you hear it, but ignore it. Unless you are truly exhausted (as in several days without sleep) your subconcious won't do that to the sounds of somebody breaking in. Your fight or flight instinct will kick in and you'll jolt awake like the Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.

I know this from recent first hand experience. I am a heavy sleeper. Can sleep through constant jet engines (Air Force), boat engines (engine room next to cabin on family troller), gun fire (when it is expected to be there in the background such as napping in the back of a truck while others enjoy time on the range and I spent), and even nearby artillery ranges (buddy lives near one). I am famous for it. Loud noise, scary turbulance and rough seas don't phase me. I hear the noise and feel the movement and my subconcious processes it realizes it is par for the course and tunes it out. But when I heard the faint sound of a power drill at 3am a few months back I jolted awake with plenty of time to grab the 1911 and after a moment of reflection (eyes and gun on the bedroom door in anticipation of an intruder) get up and investigate it.

At first it sounded like somebody was drilling into my front door. Something that had happened a month back when a plumbing leak was flooding the downstairs apartment at my previous apartment complex. But it was 3 am, not noon on a Sunday. After a while I realized the noised sounded a little off. So I cleared the apartment and made my way to the front door. I opened it, 1911 in hand and safety off, to find no one there. The noise was coming from a house down the street. Because of the shape of my entry way the noise was reflecting off the exterior walls and being amplified in a way that made it sound like it was coming from my front door. Scared the heck out of me.

Point is, when the time comes. Odds are your instincts will kick in. Even if you are a deep sleeper.

FYI, got the ambient light setup perfectly in my apartment. No tripping over stuff.

Double_tap
10-03-2011, 9:39 AM
either way your ****ed. chances are that by taking aim before you fire your weapon at the robber/muderer, the DA will charge you with "laying in wait" and you'll go to prison for manslaughter.

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 9:43 AM
Here's what we have to look forward to in California:

wypFgcqHyvc

That video is great!

supersonic
10-03-2011, 10:23 AM

As with all threads that start with this type of question, there is really only ONE honest answer: There are simply way, way too many variables involved to even begin to make an attempt at answering a question like this. There is no way any mortal human being can predict things like:

-where you will be at the time
-where the intruder will enter
-how fast you are in relation to the intruder's speed
-how smart you are compared to the intruder
-will it happen at night? at daylight?
-how many intruders might there be?
....and the list just goes on & on....

And that is just a Fact.

pyromensch
10-03-2011, 7:54 PM
when I am home. my safe is unlocked.

When I leave the house. It is locked and secured.

no reason to have my safe locked when I am home. (I have no kids)

unless you are out in the back yard, entertaining guests, barbequeing, and whatever, and someone enters thru the front of the house. not unheard of, when others are distracted

Sikhawk
10-03-2011, 8:35 PM
No yard, and if you saw the layout of my apartment you would not think so. The closet where the gun safe is located is in the Bedroom's bathroom area. The shower and toilet are in a small seperate room, then the large sink is right next to it and there are two very large closets in that same area. The gun safe is right there. So I would either hear or see him if I were in the shower. It's just not a valid concern.

Can you give me your home address and the combo to your safe while your at it?
:D

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 9:46 PM
Funny.

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 9:49 PM
either way your ****ed. chances are that by taking aim before you fire your weapon at the robber/muderer, the DA will charge you with "laying in wait" and you'll go to prison for manslaughter.

No. As bad as California laws are they are not that bad. Time for you guys to sign-up for a 4 day defensive handgun course that includes the legal lectures.

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 9:58 PM
unless you are out in the back yard, entertaining guests, barbequeing, and whatever, and someone enters thru the front of the house. not unheard of, when others are distracted

That assumes they know where to find the safe, the exact layout of the house, etc. and get there before you and your family can flee. While it is possible they know you and have already cased the house, odds are they don't know your home turf well enough to b-line it to the safe. You also assume he has a yard...I don't. In my small apartment I am never more than 20 feet from the safe. Small as it is, it is also kind of a maze.

The rule is always to try and evacuate if you can. Not because of any law, but because it has the highest survival rate.

If that is not an option you bunker down, everyone is in safest room possible and as out of the line of fire as possible. Call 911.

If that is not an option, because you have to round up your kids. One parent stays in the secure room calls 911 and preferrably is both armed and trained while the other using techniques they learned during training makes their way to get the kids and bring them back to the secure room. The goal being not be noticed by the intruders.

Absolute last option is to clearing the house room by room looking for the bad guy. Statistically there will be 2-4 or more of them not just one. Nothing you own is worth your life.

This is not wimping out. This is playing it smart. Only an idiot would kill or die over his TV.

In my apartment I am not on the floor level. So I cannot flee. I would bunker down if the threat was imminent. In the case I mention above where I heard a drill. I did bunker down, but I was 60% sure it was NOT an intruder. So I didn't call 911 right away. When I finally went to investigate I was pretty darn sure the noise was coming from elsewhere. It was pretty scary none the less. Got the heart rate up.

RippSpeed
10-04-2011, 3:55 PM
I have 3 kids ... I have a small safe with my STI Edge and My HK USP 45 both loaded but not chambered ... I have the small safe high enough where even if the kids grabbed a stool they wont get to it. Its always unlocked, when I'm @ home ...

But, sometimes when I'm watching tv late @ night by myself; I'll have my HK USP 45 by my side ...

ZX-10R
10-04-2011, 4:56 PM
Too many variables like size and layout of the house.. but for the most part a gun locked in a safe is about as useful for HD as one that is unloaded.

Mine are locked in the safe during the day, at night I take out one that is loaded and it's either on my desk while I work in my office or on the nightstand while we sleep. In the morning it goes back in the safe.

If we had kid the deal would be amended to possibly have it in a quick access lockbox by the bed and then back in the safe in the AM..

Winner.

One or two are always with me. Once I am done, one goes back away and the other goes with me in the back of my truck locked. Someone can break through my door in NorCal and run up my stairs past 3 bedrooms and get to my master in a few seconds...Your gun in your safe will mean nothing. I generally will have a handgun with the magazine barely in just waiting to for the mag to be slapped in and slide racked. My 145 pound Akita and home security system is first defense.

Kosuki
10-04-2011, 6:22 PM
Children are overrated.

Ya lol

supersonic
10-05-2011, 7:18 AM
Tacticalcity- you do know that you can quote as many times as you want in a single post, right? :p