PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Springfield MC Operator

santacruzstefan
09-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I shot one last weekend, and loved it. I have never shot as good with any pistol, and it was the first 1911 I fired so perhaps thats it. Anyway, now I want one, am trying to buy one, and want some of your impressions on this model. How does it compare to other Springfield 1911s, around the same price? Is it worse than, say, a TRP? What about other companies offerings around the same price range? I'm new to 1911s, so I just want something I can shoot a lot and have fun with, not something that I'll need to dick around with constantly, you know?

Brandon04GT
09-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I believe it's basically a Springfield NM Loaded with a railed frame and SA's Armorykote two-tone finish. Plus the Pachmayr grips

Dark Mod
09-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Its sweet except the full rail looks really terrible.

echang86
09-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I believe it's basically a Springfield NM Loaded with a railed frame and SA's Armorykote two-tone finish. Plus the Pachmayr grips

This, and it has night sights.

I own one and I have no problems with it. I wouldn't say it's "worse" than a TRP. But a TRP offers a lot more than a MC Operator.

What are you looking for on your 1911? Rails, night sights, front strap checkering, etc.?

As for other companies with compareable models, Sig offers the Sig Scorpion 1911 at a great price point ~$900. It comes with a flat trigger, front strap checkering, a magwell, night sights, and a rail. It's off roster so you'll have to SSE it. If I didn't have my MC Operator, I would have picked the Scorpion over it.

voiceoftheright
09-30-2011, 1:34 PM
Its sweet except the full rail looks really terrible.

It has a half rail. It's a great gun, just don't buy one used off Calguns otherwise you will pay at least $200 more than you should be paying. I got mine from Bud's for $966 shipped. In all honesty the Loaded I had was a great gun as well and I wouldn't tell someone spending the extra money on an Operator was completely necessary for their first 1911.

high_lander
09-30-2011, 8:43 PM
if I could have found an Operator locally, I would have picked one up, but I opted for the Loaded and put the pachmeyrs on. looks bad*****.

jonzer77
09-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Welcome to 1911's! I shoot them better then any other guns and I have since sold my CZ and xdm and now only own 1911's. I haven't had any issues with them and haven't had to tinker with them to keep them running. I have colts but they can be pricey but they are worth it. If you want more bang for your buck then I would suggest a Ria since I have heard great things about them and you can get one with a rail for under $700.

santacruzstefan
09-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Its not really the rail on it that attracted me to it, it was that I have never been as accurate with any pistol as I was with this one; I don't want to mess with that formula :)

Plus, it just felt great in my hand. The problem seems to be availability; someone is bidding me up on one I'm trying to get on GunBroker, and though a local shop has one (and I called 6 places; many of the guys laughed when I asked about this model, like thinking it would be in stock was a ridiculous notion) but this place wants $1350. Thats a bit much. I figured $1100 was a decent price if I could find one around that.

DCF
10-01-2011, 2:04 AM
If you like the trigger, I believe the Springfield Loaded has the same trigger. You can change out the grip if you want and in my opinion, the parkerized finish looks better. Buds has it for $729.

jonzer77
10-01-2011, 1:11 PM
You can also get any 1911 and if the trigger doesn't lighten up enough for you after a few rounds then you can get a trigger job for about $50-80.

JaeOne3345
10-01-2011, 1:17 PM
Welcome to the xx11 club.

I just got an STI Edge 2011 Limited race gun a few weeks ago.

My Glock 34 is feeling very lonely.

I am already setting aside money for another 2011.

chiselchst
10-01-2011, 3:44 PM
Search is your friend. There is a bunch of useful info regarding this model. I own one, and love it...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=15830501

Ubermcoupe
10-01-2011, 6:39 PM
I love it because its Green.:D

chim-chim7
10-01-2011, 8:35 PM
Its not really the rail on it that attracted me to it, it was that I have never been as accurate with any pistol as I was with this one; I don't want to mess with that formula :)

Plus, it just felt great in my hand. The problem seems to be availability; someone is bidding me up on one I'm trying to get on GunBroker, and though a local shop has one (and I called 6 places; many of the guys laughed when I asked about this model, like thinking it would be in stock was a ridiculous notion) but this place wants $1350. Thats a bit much. I figured $1100 was a decent price if I could find one around that.

$1350 :eek: I paid just over that for my brand new TRP. Keep shopping. Remember to add in $75-100 for transfer/DROS fees if buying off Gunbroker. I have actually heard of some places charging up to $150 for the transfer. :mad: They had a brand new one at the gun show today. It was $975. I was checking it out.

santacruzstefan
10-01-2011, 9:17 PM
$1350 :eek: I paid just over that for my brand new TRP. Keep shopping. Remember to add in $75-100 for transfer/DROS fees if buying off Gunbroker. I have actually heard of some places charging up to $150 for the transfer. :mad: They had a brand new one at the gun show today. It was $975. I was checking it out.

What gun show was this? Thats a good price.

chim-chim7
10-03-2011, 2:48 AM
It was Crossroads of the West gun show in Del Mar. I don't recall the vendor, but he only had a dozen or so guns for sale. The Operator was one of them. I only go to the show to buy primers and powder in bulk, but since I am already there and paid, I do my quick walk through. Never know what your gonna find sometimes.

santacruzstefan
10-04-2011, 4:50 PM
Stoked! I won one on gunbroker, now just gotta coordinate shipping and everything. Exciting, my first 1911

10-04-2011, 6:19 PM
Search is your friend. There is a bunch of useful info regarding this model. I own one, and love it...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=15830501

:rofl2: The search on this site works almost as good as your link.

timmyb21
10-04-2011, 7:46 PM
It's awesome. Favorite gun in my collection.