PDA

View Full Version : Out of state resident bringing gun stuff

thegamettt
09-30-2011, 10:37 AM
I have an out of state friend coming from AZ thats bringing some gun stuff to shoot with me while they are here. Do they need to make all their equipment CA compliant prior to entering the state? Like should they install a bullet button and take apart their magazines?

dantodd
09-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, all weapons must be compliant before entering CA. No weapons that are configured as "assault weapons" no named weapons and no magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rds. Also, no belts with more than 10 rds. either, if that matters.

thegamettt
09-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks man. I should probably just tell them to leave their mags at home then, and use my compliant ones.

bwiese
09-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I have an out of state friend coming from AZ thats bringing some gun stuff to shoot with me while they are here. Do they need to make all their equipment CA compliant prior to entering the state? Like should they install a bullet button and take apart their magazines?

YES!

Guns cannot be in prohibited configurations when entering CA. This means:

not banned by make/model (not Roberti-Roos or Kasler listed);
not banned by SB23 features (BulletButton overrides much of this);
semiauto centerfire rifles must be 30" or longer overall length, measured w/any folder/collapsing stock closed;
doesn't have a fixed mag holding over 10 rounds
note that pistols generally cannot have threaded barrels
please see the Calguns AW Flowchart for full details

Do not bring over-10-round magazines into CA, unless those specific mags were purchased/acquired by the individual
within CA before 1/1/2000. Do not assemble magazine parts into over-10-round capacity within CA.

Mesa Tactical
09-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Leaving their magazines at home would be a lot simpler than dismantling them, no?

Edit: Oh, you're already on top of that.

Mstrty
09-30-2011, 12:07 PM
From NRA-ILA website (http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59):
The general prohibitions on the importation and possession of "assault weapons" and .50 BMG rifles do not apply to nonresidents coming to California to compete at authorized sporting events at authorized venues.

So if you put on an event: Call it "Bro's annual shoot" submit it to the CDOJ for apporval. You would be fine.

I am not aware of the CDOJ ever approving such an event but there is room in the PC for such a possibility.

Otherwise: see above^^^^^

bwiese
09-30-2011, 4:55 PM
That NRA ILA statement is technically correct.

It's likely unwise. I love the NRA, but I'd bet this is summary work product of a person doing compilation of laws over in Fairfax, VA. I don't think it's coming from "California NRA" which is somewhat more circumspect and analytical. There's a difference between what's legally defendable and what's recognized/tolerated daily conduct.

One should not assume bringing an AW in from out of state for a competition will magically make AW charges go away by telling the LEO, "Oh I'm going to a shoot". (Note: I can just see some country boy now popping up in this thread to tell me how his 1-out-of-58 sheriff doesn't care about AW issues...)

At best , you're in a 'prove it or otherwise' situation, esp if driving thru a metro area.

The 'competition exemption' is so poorly defined that at best you're tied to in & out for the competition. No side trips, visits to relatives, etc. It's best left as a defense.

And the competition has to be sanctioned by a recognized organization - think NRA, CRPA, IDPA. The 'lower Hayward Memorial Classic Tin Can Shoot' doesn't qualify.

Also, this 'competition exemption' does NOT allow importation of over 10rd magazines.

Out of staters should be very very very careful or better yet, avoid this.
Sad, but true.