PDA

View Full Version : gun safety is ALWAYS important...

BigFatGuy
09-30-2011, 10:32 AM
My wife asks me why people seem to dislike a full length guide rod in a 1911. (She likes the forward-bias it brings to the pistol's mass.)

I say the main functional reason seems to be that you can't cock the pistol against a surface.

She asks what I mean.

I don't have a pistol handy, so I make kung-fu grip with my hand, as if holding a pistol, and demonstrate mime-style how you'd cock a pistol against a table edge.

She looks at me.

I ask: What?

She says: "Get your finger off the trigger!"

:eek: I almost had an imaginary ND.

GlockBlocker
09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
made me lol after i got over the coolness factor of talking shop like that with the wife. she's a keeper.

huckberry668
09-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Cocking with the edges is one main reason. Ease of field stripping is another against FLGR.

dousan
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Lol
That's funny!

Keeper!

Steve1968LS2
09-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I think it's cute that someone would think the extra "mass" of the guide rod would make a difference in the gun's balance. :)

BigFatGuy
09-30-2011, 12:38 PM
I think it's cute that someone would think the extra "mass" of the guide rod would make a difference in the gun's balance. :)

Firing two guns side by side, we both noticed it.

Now, I'll admit this wasn't a scientific test, it was two separate models of 1911, but when you're trying to find a pistol, what else can you do besides shoot them side by side and see which one you like better?

And, while it may not be great, the extra metal rod MUST make a difference in the center of balance over an empty hole... the math just works out that way.

lawaia
09-30-2011, 1:10 PM
She didn't want you to shoot a blank!:eek:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Steve1968LS2
09-30-2011, 1:50 PM
Firing two guns side by side, we both noticed it.

Now, I'll admit this wasn't a scientific test, it was two separate models of 1911, but when you're trying to find a pistol, what else can you do besides shoot them side by side and see which one you like better?

And, while it may not be great, the extra metal rod MUST make a difference in the center of balance over an empty hole... the math just works out that way.

Removing 10 pounds from your car makes it faster too (the math just works out that way).. but anyone that can "feel" that difference is most likely feeling it because they expect to feel it.

Unless it's a really heavy guide rod I can't see where it would realistically make a difference in a weapon as heavy as a 1911..

But, it certainly can't hurt.. I just find it easier to break down without the FLGR

greybeard
09-30-2011, 1:58 PM
I guess I am weird, I think a FlGr is easier to strip.