PDA

View Full Version : CMMG 22LR upper + mags review

triplestack3
09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
While it might be a little overdue, I thought it would be helpful to post a review of a CMMG 22LR upper that I got a while ago. Got the stainless bolt option along with all the other nice little add ons, including the forward assist. The only thing I passed on was the BHOA (bolt hold open actuator). I couldn’t be happier with the purchase and it’s been fun fun fun.

Right out of the box, you can tell it’s the same build quality as any other CMMG upper and it feels nice and solid. The upper mounted nicely on an Aeroprecision lower that I had thrown together. I used some leftover parts to put the lower together along with some reduced power springs. I was going to throw a red dot on there, but the riser I had was jacked up, so I threw a MBUS2 on it instead. Overall, it’s a very light setup, very simple, and pretty compact. I was pretty generous with the CLP when I pulled the bolt and purchased some CCI Tactical 22LR when I ran errands later in the day.

http://i52.tinypic.com/30c3jpy.jpg
On the left is the AR-22 and on the right is a 223 version that I have set up very similar. Very basic, no frills, less stuff for me to break.

When I got to the range, I was pretty pumped. Loaded up the CMMG mags with the CCI Tactical 22LR, inserted a mag, and started the process of zeroing in my sights. First round went down the pipe with no problem. EXCITE! Pulled the trigger again and just a click. When I flipped the rifle over, I could see that there was an unfired round smashed in it. Pulled back the charging handle and the round still stuck. I had to take a small screwdriver and pry it loose. I chambered a new round, fired, then same thing. I thought that switching over to CCI Blazer of Federal bulk would help, but no different. The magazines were tipping the rounds vertical as the bolt closed, crushing them. I was able to get in touch with the right people at CMMG thanks to Shadow65 and they took care of me by sending out a call tag for the magazines that I had issues with. Not only did they upgrade my magazines to the newest style; they also sent back my old ones (not that I would ever use them again, but still a nice gesture).

The new style CMMG magazines are solidly built and they are leaps and bounds nicer than the older ones. The lips are shaped differently and so is the follower, so rounds don’t tip up vertically any more. The only complaint I have is that I prefer a longer magazine body since I usually grab onto the magwell. It takes a little more work to load the new CMMG mags, as everything fits together a little tighter than the older ones, but it sure beats turning my bolt into a brass chopper. I also got a couple of the newer glass filled Black Dog mags while I was waiting on CMMG customer service. The new BDMs are easy to load, don’t have feed issues, and I really like them.

After using several types of ammo, I’m happy to report that my setup feeds the cheap CCI Blazer stuff very reliably and it shoots fairly well. The only ammo it didn’t really munch through was the Tactical 22LR stuff. I think the issues were due to a different bullet profile and possibly since it was meant to chamber into a converted AR instead of being used in a dedicated setup.

It took a bit getting used to at first since it's been a while since I have been out shooting. Iron sights @ 25 yards out. I think need to get my eyes checked, because I could barely see the damn dot. It got worse as I started putting holes in the paper because I started confusing the spots. I was shooting with CCI Blazer, the cheap stuff, and the results weren't too shabby. I'm going to try some of the better stuff later on to see how much improvement I can get out of it. The target spots are replacement bulls eye's from shoot-n-see targets that i already went through.

First grouping, about 30 rounds
http://i54.tinypic.com/97ioax.jpg

You'll have to forgive the use of the zombie target, but I took my Dad out to the range and figured on giving him something more entertaining to blast away at.

Second grouping, about 20 rounds
http://i53.tinypic.com/jt3qc2.jpg

For overall performance, I was very satisfied with the accuracy that I got with cheap, bulk ammo and iron sights. I think for the future, I’m going to ditch the MBUS and put a carry handle on there. I really feel like I got the best value for my dollar and CMMG has great customer service. If you already have a built lower or want to go with a dedicated setup, I can’t say enough good things about it.

Pictures coming soon! Promise!

Ricky-Ray
09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the report. I just ordered a CMMG 22 upper yesterday. Can't wait for mine to come it. I'm going to attach mine to a Plum Crazy Lower, so it will definitely be a light AR. :)

TheExpertish
09-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Looking at getting one myself to give one of my Plum Crazy 5-pack lowers something to do. Plus gotta love the price of ammo. Thanks for the review. I hate how picky these things can be with mags, but if you get the right ones you're gtg.

Stanksbeamen
09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Glad to hear that it has worked out for you and CMMG took care of business. I'm waiting on my order to be filled but pretty much the same thing you have plus the BHOA and 3 new mags. Building my stag arms lower so I'll be ready once the upper arrives!

shadow65
09-30-2011, 1:33 PM
The old mags are gone. Everything from here on will be the Gen ll mags. Completely different.
When the old mags came out, they worked. I still use them. One of the issues was the spring pressure had to be so high to operate the BHOA, it would cause too much wear on the feed lips. I have 10 and 15 I use fopr the bench and 25 round for fun. All still work. So while the design wasn't perfect, it did work. I believe something ended up out of spec.

Some 40 gr. bullets have feed problems in the uppers. The bullet profile is slightly different. Remington is also hard to feed. After several 1000 rounds, mine will feed just about anything.

Thanks for the review. I always try to get the needed help for you guys. CMMG has been great to deal with. If it's not right, they will make it right.
Try some Wolf MT or Eley EPS. My M4 LE will shoot sub 1" at 50 yards with it.
Dave N

Dreaded Claymore
09-30-2011, 2:34 PM
A .22LR upper from CMMG (through Shadow65 :thumbsup:) is definitely going to be be my next firearm purchase. Circumstances force me to wait a while longer, but I'm really looking forward to it!

triplestack3
09-30-2011, 3:56 PM
Do it... Dave is awesome, the product is solid, and the support after is excellent. Added some fun pics just because... well pictures are cool.

tvfreakarms
09-30-2011, 9:14 PM
I ordered my cmmg upper so hopefully ilk get mine sooner than later.
Im using a spikes lower amd is anyone using the buffer and the spring? I know the 22 uppers r self contained but will having the buffer and spring help in any way?

TheDeej
09-30-2011, 9:28 PM
I have the buffer assembly still in simply for for ease of swapping uppers on the same lower, plus I'd imagine not having it in would upset the balance a bit.

tvfreakarms
10-01-2011, 1:17 AM
Well i plan on making that just my primary .22lr. But who know i may end up with another 5.56 upper.

I have the buffer assembly still in simply for for ease of swapping uppers on the same lower, plus I'd imagine not having it in would upset the balance a bit.

shadow65
10-01-2011, 7:10 AM
I leave the buffer and spring in the lower for two reasons.
1. I use the same lowers for 5.56
2. The buffer and spring give better balance but more importantly, it helps keep the .22 BCG from excessive forward and rearward movement, which can add to light strike problems. Even though the collar is locked on the barrel, there can be slight movement which can absorb hammer strike energy.
Thats also why the dedicated .22 rifles without the buffer/spring use a solid polymer buffer tube.
Dave N

WokMaster1
10-01-2011, 6:34 PM
OP, are those CMMG mags made by Black Dog Machine or CMMG? Just curious?

shadow65
10-01-2011, 7:05 PM
CMMG mags are made by CMMG. They are nothing like anything else available.
Black Dog X mags I tested work great but will not operate the BHOA.
CMMG modular mags can be added to for extra capacity (in CA's case, if you are out of state)

Triplestack--The mag bodies are available in long.

CMMG Gen ll Mag Video:
http://youtu.be/b2U1UYXIsmU

tvfreakarms
10-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks shadow. I was planning on using the buffer, but wanted to know if there is a good reason to. And the reason seems good enough.

I leave the buffer and spring in the lower for two reasons.
1. I use the same lowers for 5.56
2. The buffer and spring give better balance but more importantly, it helps keep the .22 BCG from excessive forward and rearward movement, which can add to light strike problems. Even though the collar is locked on the barrel, there can be slight movement which can absorb hammer strike energy.
Thats also why the dedicated .22 rifles without the buffer/spring use a solid polymer buffer tube.
Dave N