PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good deal on Coleman Fuel, White Gas, or Naptha...

Super Spy
09-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I just ordered a Coleman Dual Fuel Powerhouse Stove, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I could get a good price on some fuel for it. I know Big 5 carries the fuel, but I was hoping to find it for less....maybe one of you bought 50 gallons at some crazy closeout sale and is willing to help out a fellow Calgunner. I'm sure a few of you still use Coleman liquid fuel camping appliances and might have a line on fuel for a better price. I realize the local gas station will be the cheapest as it is dual fuel, but I want to try both. I also have read that it's a lot smellier running unleaded and I don't want my Bacon to taste like Techron. :D I figured I'd run the preferred fuel as long as I have that option.

damon1272
09-30-2011, 11:14 AM
I have found Wal-Mart has about the best price on coleman fuel.

problemchild
09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
FAQ

All coleman stoves will run on NORMAL unleaded gasoline. You do NOT need "Dual-Fuel" expensive stoves.

Coleman saw a chance to get market share and named the regular stove "dual-fuel" and added 20 dollars to the price.

Coleman fuel has some nasty fumes that are not healthy to breathe (google it)

I sent 6 coleman stoves to my in-laws in the Phils and they are ALL running on cheap unleaded gas now for 6 months 24/7 without any problems.

My stoves all use regular unleaded gas without any problems.

Use a pan with high sides or a large pot to keep the fumes from getting to the food.

Coleman fuel 13/gallon
unleaded gas 3.59/ gallon (sams)

theduece
09-30-2011, 1:29 PM
Seriosly pc?

That is some awesome news, I was just getting ready
for a new stove and was willing to pay the premium for the
option. Thanks

Super Spy
09-30-2011, 2:48 PM
Supposedly there are some modifications to jets and valves for the dual fuel stove. Coleman very well may make them all the same. I do know some family friends that tried unleaded fuel in some standard lanterns (early 80's) and within a few weeks they had clogged up and weren't working right. Unleaded gas isn't as clean or refined as Naptha. I do want to compare the two first hand and draw my own conclusions.

wjc
09-30-2011, 3:24 PM
I was surprised to find my local Lucky's carries Coleman Fuel. Problemchild is correct...you can run unleaded gas through Coleman stuff. (We used to do that back in the 70's)

bohoki
09-30-2011, 7:01 PM
since they dont use mtbe in gasoline anymore its good to go

problemchild
09-30-2011, 7:48 PM
Seriosly pc?

That is some awesome news, I was just getting ready
for a new stove and was willing to pay the premium for the
option. Thanks

My in-laws run the stoves for breakfast, lunch and dinner for months now and no plug ups. Its the lead and bad additives that plug the stove.

There is a trick to clear a stove thats plugged and I have used it to clear a Leaded stove that was plugged. Run a propane torch down the stem to get it smokin hot and vaporize the plug.

I only had to do that once 20 years ago. Never since then.

By the way the stoves I sent my in-laws were all bought used off Fleabay and were mostly 60-70-80 era stoves.

I have one 83 stove here if anyone wants it. 35 bucks

damon1272
09-30-2011, 8:43 PM
My understanding is that Coleman upgraded the seals for the dual fuel. Either way you can use either gas and they work well or you can buy the conversion kit to run it on propane and then have it as tri fuel.

cannon
10-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm running a Coleman 413 E probably from the 50s or 60s. Take it camping almost every month and in the summer It sits on the back deck for making lots of hot water for iced tea.

Runs on the unleaded gas I have around for jeeps, motorcycles etc. and when occasionally the plunger loses it's "push" a dipstick comes out of the closest vehicle and 8 to 10 drops in the "Put oil here" hole has the leather inside the plunger back up to form.

The only way I can think of to put one of these stoves out of commission is to run it over with a truck.

Super Spy
10-08-2011, 6:01 PM
I gotta say I'm pleased with my new stove, that thing boils water quick....now to take it camping :D

h0use
10-09-2011, 4:26 PM
Just use regular gas. I just bought a coleman dulefule single burner portable stove at wallmart. Regular unleaded gas works great! I plan on buying a dulefule lantern next.

Got Stuff?
10-09-2011, 8:46 PM
Coleman stoves rock!

Best dang thing ever. The lanterns are pretty sweet too.

damon1272
10-09-2011, 9:14 PM
Look for the power house model as they have greater out put on the burners and for the lanterns also.