PDA

View Full Version : ABC 7 News segment on ATF Memo

onedavetoomany
09-30-2011, 12:32 AM
ATF Memo: No gun rights for medical marijuana patients (http://youtu.be/7cJUuXT1AFg)

http://youtu.be/7cJUuXT1AFg

jl123
09-30-2011, 12:50 AM
ATF Memo: No gun rights for medical marijuana patients (http://youtu.be/7cJUuXT1AFg)

7cJUuXT1AFg

Such BS.

odysseus
09-30-2011, 1:00 AM
It's Federal law. You would have to be living a fantasy to think that you could have a medical MJ card and use MJ and not have the ATF attempt to deny you of your gun rights. This has been said before on Calguns for a long time - those carrying 215 could be at risk of Federal agency on their RKBA.

I am curious though how it is the ATF or a FFL would know someone has a 215 card if not voluntarily divulged from the holder?

Funny though, this directive comes at the same time the whole Fast and Furious debacle becomes increasingly more hot. Spin... spin...

nicki
09-30-2011, 1:44 AM
Marijuana and gun rights activists should be on the same side, but they are not.

This story was excellent, here is why.

Obama made a promise to respect the state's that had medical marijuana laws. Medical Marijuana advocates have this weird idea that being left alone meant that you had the SAME RIGHTS as everyone else.

Obama was already pissing off medical marijuana advocates, now this.

See, it doesn't matter that most pot users are none gun owners, what matters is in their view they are being discriminated against.

It is well known that there have been several home invasion shoot outs, bottom line is many have guns for self defense in the home.

Even our opponents recognize our right to own guns in the home for self defense.

Now the person who was a gun control supporter admitted she didn't want anyone to have a gun and she came off like she was on a high horse.

Our guy, Sam the open carrier came off as intelligent, that the ATF is violating people's rights.

Nicki

Cearbhall
09-30-2011, 1:58 AM
This issue may well tip a lot of 2A fence sitters in the right direction.

Cen Cal Gunner
09-30-2011, 6:18 AM
No guns for pot heads but they give AK's to the drug cartels that supply the drugs:confused:

HowardW56
09-30-2011, 6:21 AM
No guns for pot heads but they give AK's to the drug cartels that supply the drugs:confused:

:eek:

Tripper
09-30-2011, 6:38 AM
should i go get a card?
while not using?

one could wonder how that might affect a current CCW holders status, or might i get revoked
brandon?
gene?
what ya think?

Tripper
09-30-2011, 6:38 AM

i like that one
I think i'll repost that elsewhere, thanks

GM4spd
09-30-2011, 6:39 AM
No guns for pot heads

No problem with this. Pete

Noxx
09-30-2011, 7:48 AM
No problem with this. Pete

No?

No guns for drinkers? Prescription med users? Political fringe loudmouths? Lots of people "could" be dangerous. Let's concern ourselves with people who are.

MudCamper
09-30-2011, 7:51 AM
Our guy, Sam the open carrier came off as intelligent, that the ATF is violating people's rights.

Walter, not Sam.

tankarian
09-30-2011, 8:11 AM
Pot-schmot. ATF is trying to divert attention from the Fast & Furious scandal by creating a controversy over mj users gun rights.
Is that simple.

Tripper
09-30-2011, 8:18 AM
it seems the pot heads would be the least dangerous mello bunch of folks

couldnt that one be attacked via ADA
a Med MJ card is 'supposed' to be for serious medical conditions (i'm not sure about the serious part), but I recall that drinking was determined a medical condition, and could not be attacked, i dont recall the specifics, but .gov couldnt reprimand ppl that had drinking problems, they could only provide counseling.

Ubermcoupe
09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
This issue may well tip a lot of 2A fence sitters in the right direction.

I like this idea.

SupportGeek
09-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Pot-schmot. ATF is trying to divert attention from the Fast & Furious scandal by creating a controversy over mj users gun rights.
Is that simple.

^^ Exactly this ^^

dustoff31
09-30-2011, 10:15 AM
a Med MJ card is 'supposed' to be for serious medical conditions (i'm not sure about the serious part).

And this is where the potheads, as opposed to cancer patients or similar, are their own worst enemy and brought this on themselves.

Had the medical MJ program been limited to people with real, serious medical problems, rather than turning it into a circus of back door legalization for anyone who wanted to smoke pot, I doubt this would ever have been an issue.

Self inflicted. No sympathy.

bigcalidave
09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
How the hell did they find an open carry advocate to talk about this so quickly?? lol.

I thought the article was fair and balanced, the person on the street against it came off poorly, and the only thing that really irritated me was the headline "Toting and Toking do not mix". Really seeking that base audience I guess.

Probably not the best idea for the kid working in the dispensary to out himself on both issues. Now any FFL who has seen that would have to not sell him a firearm, and the ATF could choose to make an example out of someone. (Doubtful, but still, don't go on record with this stuff!)

6172crew
09-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Out of the Park! And it is a Home Run!

21SF
09-30-2011, 1:54 PM
Out of the Park! And it is a Home Run!

Duh!

Legalize = no cartels

No cartels = No jobs for ATF/DEA/FBI

80% of their funding is for fighting marijuana.

They have to protect their job security.

Doheny
09-30-2011, 2:21 PM
And this is where the potheads, as opposed to cancer patients or similar, are their own worst enemy and brought this on themselves.

Had the medical MJ program been limited to people with real, serious medical problems, rather than turning it into a circus of back door legalization for anyone who wanted to smoke pot, I doubt this would ever have been an issue.

Self inflicted. No sympathy.

Agreed 100%

Sent from my iPhone

bartt
09-30-2011, 3:18 PM
The point to me is: Since when does a bunch of beauracrates get to decide anything about one's rights sans conviction? Holding some card does not constitute conviction.

You'd think that the ACLU would be all over this one. But since they are not I guess it shows they are more about politics than rights.

mag360
09-30-2011, 5:56 PM
Duh!

Legalize = no cartels

No cartels = No jobs for ATF/DEA/FBI

80% of their funding is for fighting marijuana.

They have to protect their job security.

exactly, the whole entire goal/reason for existence for a bureaucracy is to perpetuate existence based on a more rules/laws that therefore "have" to be enforced by someone.

pow! thousands of ATF/DEA/FBI/ABC agents can't be wrong, can they?

pacifico23
09-30-2011, 6:00 PM
I wonder how many firearm companies would follow this. And how can they stop a medical patient from buying one. Cant they just deny it?

Clownpuncher
09-30-2011, 6:03 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. Any excuse the government can come up with to limit gun owners rights.

On a side note, there is already some debate among service members I work with, myself included, as to weather or not to hide PTSD effects out of fear that the government won't allow us to own firearms in the future.

mag360
09-30-2011, 8:05 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. Any excuse the government can come up with to limit gun owners rights.

On a side note, there is already some debate among service members I work with, myself included, as to weather or not to hide PTSD effects out of fear that the government won't allow us to own firearms in the future.

too bad its come to that, but I am friends with about half a dozen Afghan/Iraq vets who feel the exact same way.

pgg
10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
nelson-haha.jpg

I favor legalization of all drugs. All of them.

I'm so pro-2A that even on gun forums like this one, I take flak for my unreasonably permissive :rolleyes: interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

I can acknowledge a grudging respect for the people who've manipulated the system and the voting public into this halfway backdoor-legalization scam. Anyone who can outmaneuver the hysterical War-On-Drugs crowd can't be all bad. Clever plan.

Still - medical marijuana is an absurdity, and as a doctor I resent the way legitimate, rational, scientific and evidence based medical practice has been hijacked to assist what should be a legislative and judicial struggle. I am sympathetic to their goal, but they're still douchebags for involving my profession. So I do admit a bit of schadenfreudish mirth every time the "medical marijuana" scammers get another eyeball stick poking.