PDA

View Full Version : Finding Hi-caps

Pulsar
02-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I know the law says, no importing, selling, or manufacturing hi-caps. But here's my situation

My dad who manages properties for my grandfather, including a mini-storage. Well he calls me this weekend to tell me that he just cleaned out a unit that a customer defaulted on, we can't even find the guy to get a hold of him, but my dad tells me he found ten 30 round AR mags and some handgun mags he can't identify. He asked me if I wanted them, I really do want them, but I don't know what the legal ramifications are. Since all these mags are owned by immediate family, I know I can take possessian of them.

Since technically, no one imported manufactured or sold them to us, it seems like we would be fine in keeping these mags and using them, but I may be missing something important in my legal knowledge.

I sure hope I get to keep em, it would be some serious incentive to finish building my OLL.

Hunter
02-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I know the law says, no importing, selling, or manufacturing hi-caps. But here's my situation

My dad who manages properties for my grandfather, including a mini-storage. Well he calls me this weekend to tell me that he just cleaned out a unit that a customer defaulted on, we can't even find the guy to get a hold of him, but my dad tells me he found ten 30 round AR mags and some handgun mags he can't identify. He asked me if I wanted them, I really do want them, but I don't know what the legal ramifications are. Since all these mags are owned by immediate family, I know I can take possessian of them.

Since technically, no one imported manufactured or sold them to us, it seems like we would be fine in keeping these mags and using them, but I may be missing something important in my legal knowledge.

I sure hope I get to keep em, it would be some serious incentive to finish building my OLL.

Well, if you take the road that your dad found them then he can keep them. But on the otherhand, you are out of luck since your dad cannot give them to you!

SemiAutoSam
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
On the other hand If his father left them where they were and he came upon them it would be the same as him finding them. as whom ever finds them that has a need is all that matters. Since his father only let him know where the mags where and he went to the general location and stumbled upon them he found them also. Its not like his father boxed them up and said here do you want these.

Well, if you take the road that your dad found them then he can keep them. But on the otherhand, you are out of luck since your dad cannot give them to you!

gose
02-05-2007, 1:03 PM
The law doesn't really mention finding, but I would be very very careful before taking possession of a mag I found and documenting it (pictures, witnesses, what ever is suitable) in every way possible.
Since your dad found those mags you're sol. There is no way he can give or transfer them to you legally.

rorschach
02-05-2007, 1:23 PM
Or you could always take them apart and keep the parts as spares.

Wulf
02-05-2007, 2:03 PM
I think its hillarious that the dreaded mag ban includes the "finders keepers" loophole. If they ever prosecute somebody on this I would be interested to read the "did not", "did too" portion of the court transcript, as well as the "my lawyer can beat up your lawyer" taunts and the "we can tell you didnt possess the mag in 2000 because of the cooties that are on it" expert testimony.

mltrading
02-05-2007, 2:19 PM
Man, if I were you, I'd never post such question in a public forum.

blkA4alb
02-05-2007, 2:30 PM
Since all these mags are owned by immediate family, I know I can take possessian of them.
Actually, you can't. Since you didn't find them (and just admitted so) just forget about them.

Aluisious
02-05-2007, 2:33 PM
BTW...just how do they figure out if you had it in 1999?

C'mon.

"You just got that."
"No, I bought it in 1999 with my lunch money."
"..."

Cpl_Peters
02-05-2007, 2:45 PM

C'mon.

"You just got that."
"..."

exactly....innocent until PROVEN guilty. There is no way to prove magazine ownership since they are not serialized unless you own a highcap mag for a firearm that was invented post 2000 with its own special magazine. My advice to you would be to "find" these magazines yourself.

rorschach
02-05-2007, 2:46 PM

C'mon.

"You just got that."
"..."

Dont laugh, when I was in high school back in in the early 90's I would hoard my cash and score all kinds of standard caps at the old Pomona show.

SemiAutoSam
02-05-2007, 2:52 PM
I remember that show from when it was at a place just off the I5. It was called the great western gun show. I was buying stuff there before I was old enough to buy the guns the parts went into. early 70's I got dropped off there by my old man and 3 or 4 sometimes 6 hours later he came and picked me up. I would go home with a duffle bag full of stuff and more money than I came with.

Don't laugh, when I was in high school back in in the early 90's I would hoard my cash and score all kinds of standard caps at the old Pomona show.

ecmckean
02-05-2007, 3:31 PM
maybe we can do a hicap mag geocache ... lol

Geocaching.com is not a friend of the firearm community.

Good luck getting it listed :mad:

tlillard23
02-05-2007, 3:35 PM
Have your dad take the mags apart. You then buy the parts to rebuild the mags you currently own. Just don't make new mags.

Semiautosam- 3-4 hours later??? Come on, don't expect us to believe that, especially if you are coming out with MORE money thatn you went in with. I would stay until I was broke :-)

dw1784
02-05-2007, 3:51 PM
Dont laugh, when I was in high school back in in the early 90's I would hoard my cash and score all kinds of standard caps at the old Pomona show.

My friend Larry was like. When he was a kid, watching "Combat" and "Rat Patrol" got him into collecting WW2 stuff. When he was in the 5th grade he'd already had a collection of belts, bandolier, ammo pouch, bayonets, etc. By the time he was in the 7th grade, he'd already had a collection of ammo and a Arisaka rifle....and yes, this was California; SOUTHERN California:D

SemiAutoSam
02-05-2007, 3:53 PM
Its the truth I bought mags and guns from those coming to the show to sell them as they walked in the door. For instance A guy would walk in the door with a flag sticking out of the barrel of his rifle and I approached him and asked him how much he wanted I found someone that wanted what he had and took the guys rifle to the guy that wanted it. upped the price and took the cash back to the guy waiting at the door, Putting the extra in my pocket.

I took the same technique and used it at the Reno show in the early 90's

Have your dad take the mags apart. You then buy the parts to rebuild the mags you currently own. Just don't make new mags.

Semiautosam- 3-4 hours later??? Come on, don't expect us to believe that, especially if you are coming out with MORE money thatn you went in with. I would stay until I was broke :-)

gose
02-05-2007, 3:59 PM
exactly....innocent until PROVEN guilty. There is no way to prove magazine ownership since they are not serialized unless you own a highcap mag for a firearm that was invented post 2000 with its own special magazine. My advice to you would be to "find" these magazines yourself.

I seriously doubt that anyone that was of reasonable age and lived in CA in 2000 will ever run into any problems. People moving into CA after -00 or of very young age might run into problems though.

DRM6000
02-05-2007, 4:37 PM
i say your dad should throw those old, stinky mags away in the trash. you should go find some yourself ;)

Diablo
02-05-2007, 5:22 PM
i say your dad should throw those old, stinky mags away in the trash. you should go find some yourself ;)

Excellent!!!!:D :D :D

RW Dunn
02-05-2007, 5:23 PM
Man, if I were you, I'd never post such question in a public forum.Thats big 2nd on that,if i remember right that was me who forgot them there when i moved out of the area and my storage so give me your address and i'll swing by someday and take them back into possession so you won't get into trouble and sorry for creating problems for you and your family and i'll be more careful not to leave my property unattened in the future.

lonewolf
02-05-2007, 5:30 PM
>>>>

Bishop
02-05-2007, 6:17 PM
I know everyone here LOVES to be super paranoid, but most of these laws are not to make a legal case out of Joe Gunowner. They're primarily for tacking on more years to criminals since "5 to 9" now means: 3 and 5 on probation. Robbery? That's X years, plus X years because you used a gun, plus X years for being in possession of an unregistered gun, plus X years because a threaded barrel turns this gun into an Assault Weapon, plus X years for being in possession of high capacity magazines... etc.

I don't really see someone getting taken in and send to prison on one of those "add on" charges...

EDIT: I'm referring to the police, not overzealous DOJ agents (who will make you miserable and charge you with nothing) or above-the-law ATF agents (who will probably just shoot you in the back of the head) :D... :(

Alan Block
02-05-2007, 6:49 PM
Has anyone ever been prosecuted in Ca for having a hicap magazine?

Pulsar
02-05-2007, 6:50 PM
Thats big 2nd on that,if i remember right that was me who forgot them there when i moved out of the area and my storage so give me your address and i'll swing by someday and take them back into possession so you won't get into trouble and sorry for creating problems for you and your family and i'll be more careful not to leave my property unattened in the future.

LOL, well it is legally in my families possession because you didn't pay your fees to keep your mini-storage unit. Law is very clear on this, it's our stuff now ;) We've had to go to court a few times on stuff like this and have never lost.

And I don't know why, but I always thought that hi-caps could be inherited, or am I supposed to destroy them all when my father dies? I can't really find any law pertaining to what needs to be done with a magazine when the owner dies. And if it stands that I can inherit then what's the point of waiting till my father dies? I know AW's can't be inherited, but I'm not as up to date on magazines.

blkA4alb
02-05-2007, 6:52 PM
Here's the law for you Pulsar.

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

Pulsar
02-05-2007, 7:41 PM
Yeah that much I knew, but it still seems doesn't cover inheritance.

Also to consider, I still use my parents address as my permanent address, I spend almost half the year still living with them, don't know if that would have any bearing.

SemiAutoSam
02-05-2007, 8:01 PM
Good thing it says nothing about finding or Buying.

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

gose
02-05-2007, 8:40 PM

He's got a point... If buying and finding is (kinda) legal because they're not mentioned, then inheriting should be ok as well.

blkA4alb
02-05-2007, 8:47 PM
He's got a point... If buying and finding is (kinda) legal because they're not mentioned, then inheriting should be ok as well.
I'm not sure if you guys are assuming I'm saying that you can't find them or something. But thats not my intent at all.

Finding and buying them is legal and I have held that opinion for awhile. I never said anything for or against inheriting, I just quoted him the law to let him come to his own decision ;) .

Fate
02-05-2007, 9:03 PM
...I'm referring to the police, not overzealous DOJ agents... (who will probably just shoot you in the back of the head) :D... :(
But only if you're hiding under a desk! :D

hoffmang
02-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Don't be too caviler about assuming that inherit does not also mean "give" which is banned in the law.

There have been "import large-capacity magazine" arrests where DOJ Firearms trailed folks from the Reno gun show back to California. I plan on learning more about that soon.

-Gene

rorschach
02-06-2007, 1:11 AM
Has anyone ever been prosecuted in Ca for having a hicap magazine?

No, because possession of standard capacity (+10 rounds)mags is not a crime.

Now if you mean has anyone ever been prosecuted in CA for importing standard capacity mags, then the answer would be yes.

grammaton76
02-06-2007, 3:06 PM
It's pretty simple... inheritance is just "finding" it in their effects, right?

Fjold
02-06-2007, 3:09 PM
Don't be too caviler about assuming that inherit does not also mean "give" which is banned in the law.

There have been "import large-capacity magazine" arrests where DOJ Firearms trailed folks from the Reno gun show back to California. I plan on learning more about that soon.

-Gene

Inherit means give? They can arrest the one that gave it then, not the one that received them.

SemiAutoSam
02-06-2007, 3:14 PM
Sure to inherit is to give posthumously .

But what does this matter if the gift is posthumous that would mean the person doing the giving is beyond the long arm of the law so to speak.

hoffmang
02-06-2007, 3:24 PM
That is a valid point... Dead men do not do time... Witness Ken Lay.

-Gene

lonewolf
02-06-2007, 4:18 PM
Ok can we have some proof of "arrest and charges" instead of just saying it happened. We have a few cases of OLL being charged but I have seen nothing of the high cap mag garbage.

11Z50
02-06-2007, 4:45 PM
I have some mags that have been rebuilt many times. They were originally 20-rd M-16 mags I traded away from a Korean soldier while on a Team Spirit in 1986. The floorplates are really cool since the markings are in Hangul (Korean). Because the mags are 20-plus years old, I recently refurbished them. They are now 30's that have post-2000 dates stamped right on the tubes. The only part original on these mags are the floorlates. Springs wear out, mag tubes get bent, followers wear out. Floorplates rarely go bad, but they do.

Here's the kicker: When my old floorplates wear out, get bent, no longer work, and I replace them, now no original part exists from the original mags. The way I read the law, that should be totally legal.

In essence, if you were alive prior to 2000 you can have the mags. Then you can replace parts all you want, forever.

hoffmang
02-06-2007, 5:33 PM
Even DOJ agrees that that is legal:
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

-Gene

artherd
02-06-2007, 7:15 PM
Inherit means give? They can arrest the one that gave it then, not the one that received them.
Heheh, I like this angle. They possibly could confiscate the mag as contraband at best.

Matt C
02-06-2007, 7:27 PM
Geocaching.com is not a friend of the firearm community.

Good luck getting it listed :mad:

Really? I find, and leave, gun type stuff in geocatches all the time.

+1 on inheriting mags being legal, you did not import, manufacture or sell them, and no one really gave them to you. You just "aquired" them. Who can they arrest anyway, the deceased? I think there is some case law on that....:D

cyberhh
02-10-2007, 9:46 PM
Inherit is from the estate of a deceased person.

I would have your father contact someone in law enforcement, preferably the DA in his county. Explain the situation, he is the owner of a storage facility and he has taken possession of the contents of a storage unit, as per the tenant contract. In said storage unit he found several handguns and magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds, etc.....

I would think that your father would have to turn the mags over to LEO, he did not have possession of the mags before the ban went into effect.

Based on the many times that I have read the code it would seem to me that your father cannot legally possess the mags, and that you may not either.

Hope this helps.

rorschach
02-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Inherit is from the estate of a deceased person.

I would have your father contact someone in law enforcement, preferably the DA in his county. Explain the situation, he is the owner of a storage facility and he has taken possession of the contents of a storage unit, as per the tenant contract. In said storage unit he found several handguns and magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds, etc.....

I would think that your father would have to turn the mags over to LEO, he did not have possession of the mags before the ban went into effect.

Based on the many times that I have read the code it would seem to me that your father cannot legally possess the mags, and that you may not either.

Hope this helps.

Read the code again and enlighten us as to where it says possession is unlawful. Doesnt mention finding them either.

Why in the hell would anyone just give them to LE?? If he doesnt decide to keep them, he should disassemble them and sell the parts to someone who needs them.

wutzu
02-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I was training this weekend and found a LaBelle hi-cap in the middle of the woods. I immediately thought of this thread.

cyberhh
02-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Read the code again and enlighten us as to where it says possession is unlawful. Doesnt mention finding them either.

Why in the hell would anyone just give them to LE?? If he doesnt decide to keep them, he should disassemble them and sell the parts to someone who needs them.

You may only posses the ones that you purchased before the ban. The only way to take possession of the hi-caps after the law went into effect is to inherit them from an estate.

The CA state is so strange on firearms law and have very strict penalties for their violation I would highly suggest caution over desire every day of the week. I also suggested contacting the DA in the county where the mags were found, as the CA DOJ also defers to the local DA's interpretation of the law. A phone call never hurts. The posters father should act exactly as he would in case of narcotics or obviously illegal materials found in a similar matter. I would never suggest in any forum any other recommendation than the one I can see as being obviously legal and most correct as I read the statute and tone of the state DOJ.

FWIW: CA Peal Code 12020: you cannot import into ca, expose for sale, give or lend - give or lend being the important part. It would not be a stretch to include receiving the mags as part of the intention of the law, or by stating that as the mags were accepted as payment on the storage unit (the contract allowing for an auction to take place of all the items left in the storage unit on a default) that qualifies as "making available for sale" , or acquiring for the purposes of sale (as per the contract) and thus be illegal. Please keep in mind that it is all about how the local DA interprets the law and I would STRONGLY suggest making the call. The worst that should happen is he would have to surrender the mags, the best the DA will explain his interpretation of the law.
I am not an attorney and do not pretend to be, and my advice is worth what you paid for it (nothing) please act accordingly.

Thanks

otalps
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
There is nothing in the law about possession. I think you need to re-read it again.

Hunter
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
.... The only way to take possession of the hi-caps after the law went into effect is to inherit them from an estate........

Can you cite the PC that backs up this statement?

artherd
02-13-2007, 11:24 PM
You may only posses the ones that you purchased before the ban.
Under what theroey of law do you base this? What PC you would charge me with for 'taking posession'?

E Pluribus Unum
02-14-2007, 1:56 AM
The only way it would ever happen is:

It is illegal to SELL them or lend them. It is NOT illegal to PURCHASE them.... however if you buy them you are an accessory to the act of selling.

If you truely FOUND them I cannot see how that would be illegal. I know with money that is found you are supposed to turn it into the police and if no one claims it within a certain time, the money is legally yours. The same could be true with "stuff" too.

Regardless... they must prove you imported it. Because it is legal to buy replacement parts the state would have no way of doing this.

This law only stops the mags from being sold in stores.... other than that, they are easily obtained.

cyberhh
02-14-2007, 6:31 AM
CA State Penal Code 12020 a2: Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

When the father took possession of the goods in the storage locker it was under the rights assigned by the contract between his business and the customer. Under the contract (i am assuming as I have rented more than one storage unit and the contracts seem to be fairly standard) the storage unit company has the right to confiscate and SELL the contents of the storage unit upon non-payment of fees - which is exactly what has been done. I would interpret this that the father came into possession of the mags "keeps for sale".

Again, I am not an attourney and suggest calling the local DA. I am simply attempting to interpret the law for the purpose of playing devils advocate. The DOJ is specific on the ownership date of Jan 1, 2000.

I realize that there is a loophole here, but that does not prevent charges being filed and court action taken. Personally I have no interest spending my time and money arguing that I took advantage of a loophole in the law to do what the law specifically intended I NOT be able to do in the first place.

The following is a Q&A from the DOJ that set the tone for the date. Also where they suggest contacting the DA in your area.
Magazines

Effective January 1, 2000, SB 23 generally prohibits, the manufacture, import, sale, giving or lending of large capacity magazines (defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but does not include .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding devices).

SB23 does NOT prohibit the owership of magazines owned prior to January 1, 2000 nor does it prevent the repair of damaged ones.

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(lifted from CalGuns)

I am writing in response to your letter (undated) regarding large-capacity ammunition magazines. You had a number of questions:

Q1: Can you import newly manufactured parts to repair a legally obtained hi-cap magazine?
A1: Yes.

Q2: Are there any restrictions on which parts can and cannot be imported?
A2: No.

Q3: Can you import all the parts of a single hi-cap magazine at once, provided they are unassembled?
A3: Yes.

Q4: Can a California resident travel to another state, purchase a hi-cap magazine in that state, dissassemble it and ship the required replacement parts back to themselves in California?
A4: Penal Code section 12020(a)(2) makes it illegal to import a large capacity magazine into the state of California. If you traveled to another state in order to import a large capacity magazine, you would be guilty of a felony, even if you disassembled the large capacity magazine before returning to California. If you disassembled the large capacity magazine with the intent to use it only as repair parts, you could lawfully bring the parts in to California. In either case, you would test the limits of the law, and be at risk of criminal prosecution.

Q5: Can you replace the magazine body with one marked "For Law Enforcement Only"?
A5: While theoretically you could use such a part to repair a lawfully owned large capacity magazine, most dealers would be unlikely to sell you such a magazine body, unless you were a law enforcement officer.

Q6: Is there any limitation to the number of parts you can replace in a legally obtained hi-cap magazine? (Scenario: if on successive days I replace each individual part of a legally obtained hi-cap magazine, am I guilty of assembling a new hi-cap magazine once the final part is replaced?)
A6: Whether the scenario you describe constitutes repairing or manufacturing a large capacity magazine depends upon the legal opinion of the prosecutor in the jurisdiction where the acts occur. There are 58 district attorneys in California's 58 counties. They could elect to prosecute you for a felony (Penal Code 12280(a)(2)), if they believed that you were manufacturing a large capacity magazine.

Q7: If the magazine body is replaced with one clearly manufactured after 2000 is there any burden of proof upon a California resident that they did in fact replace a worn/obsolete part and did not illegally purchase/import a new hi-cap magazine.
A7: A California resident who repairs a large capacity magazine that was owned before January 1, 2000 does not have any "burden of proof" that the magazine was repaired, rather than replaced with a new magazine. However, it would be prudent in such a case to keep records documenting the purchase of the part necessary for the repair in order to demonstrate that the large capacity magazine was repaired, not replaced.

Q8: Can you use parts designed for a 10-round magazine to repair a legally obtained hi-cap magazine?
A8: If parts designed for a 10-round magazine are interchangeable with parts of a legally obtained large capacity magazine, there is no legal barrier to using them.

Q9: Can you have enough spare parts to assemble a new hi-cap magazine provided they are unassembled and intended for use as replacement parts?
A9: Whether the scenario you describe constitutes posession of magazine parts with the intent to manufacture or with the intent to repair a large capacity magazine depends upon the legal opinion of the prosecutor in the jurisdiction where the acts occur. You could be charged with a felony (Penal Code 12280(a)(2)), if a prosecutor believed that you were manufacturing a large capacity magazine.

I hope that this information was helpful. Please feel free to contact me again if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Alison Merrilees
Deputy Attorney General
Firearms Division

cyberhh
02-14-2007, 7:09 AM
For my final note on the topic, then I will be quiet - The burden of proof appears to be on the state to prove that you are guilty of violating the law (unlike with an assault weapon) and it does not appear to be likely that you will be prosecuted for it, nor do I know what you would be prosecuted for (what PC section.) Most of what I have read agrees with what is posted by everyone except me, but none of them have been posts of an official type from a DA or the DOJ, so are by no means official.

The law as written does not specifically address possession nor "finding" or purchasing inside California and therefore it would be up to the interpretation of the court you are in to decide how to proceed.

Good luck regardless. Signing off now.

Hunter
02-14-2007, 8:50 AM
For my final note on the topic, then I will be quiet ....

So you are now saying that there is no PC that backs up your statement below?

Originally Posted by cyberhh
.... The only way to take possession of the hi-caps after the law went into effect is to inherit them from an estate........

leelaw
02-14-2007, 9:09 AM

That would appear to be completely correct.

artherd
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
That which is not illegal, is not criminal.

Hopi
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM

This poster is very new, he/she obviously doesn't know how we operate here.

Hunter
02-14-2007, 1:04 PM
This poster is very new, he/she obviously doesn't know how we operate here.

I realize the poster is new here (at least for posting) and in my not so subtle way, I was trying to point out that posting something as a “fact of law” and not being able to back it up is not going to fly on this forum. To come to a board and say “you think” or “I believe” this is the law…. well that is fine. We are all here to learn from each other and we will each have our own understandings and views of issues. But to flat out make a statement that amounted to “this is” the law, without really knowing what you are talking about, is not a very good approach IMHO. We are all open to discussions and if one makes a bold claim, just make sure one can stand behind it.

cyberhh
02-14-2007, 9:01 PM
Thank you everyone for pointing out my error.

EVERYTHING THAT I POSTED, except that where another source was obvious (the PC12020 section and the Deputy AG letter) were a matter of my opinion ONLY. I apologize to the forum members for not being especially clear in that regard.

1911_sfca
02-15-2007, 3:25 PM
I'm going to pick up some 15- and 20-round mags at the store next week. PC 12020(b)20. :D