PDA

View Full Version : Central Valley Man arrested for "assault weapons"

imperials
09-29-2011, 10:44 PM
40 illegal assault rifles, grenade launcher seized in Kingsburg
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=8373246

Officers arrested Christopher Haga after they raided his home in Kingsburg and his business in Parlier.

Fresno area police officers seized forty "military-type" assault weapons during the raid. Investigators first thought they may be connected to a Southern California military base. They ruled that out after the raid but they're still not sure where the guns came from.

Please do not post whole articles - see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=363956

Typically, one (short) paragraph and a link is low-risk.

See the stickies http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=394912
Web sites are being sued even with reasonable legal protections in place.

// Librarian

gunafficionado
09-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Illegal because they're FA or illegal only in the state of CA?

Norcal Industries
09-29-2011, 11:44 PM
grenade launcher or a flare launcher?

cj cake
09-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Why was the search warrent issued to begin with? I wondering if he had a granade launcher or a flare launcher.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 11:50 PM
grenade launcher or a flare launcher?

I am calling flare launcher.

socalocalypse
09-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Typical anti gun agenda. 'Grenade' launcher with precisely zero grenades probably because its a flare launcher.

How dare he enjoy collecting firearms. He must be an illegal arms dealer!

Whatevz I dunno if hes legal or not but i wonder if we'll get an update.

Edit:

I see hes such a threat he was released in hours. I wonder if some alarmist saw him with a 'machine gun' lol at the shop and did a see something say something on him.

So far it sounds like a case of the police stealing his guns and sorting out legality later. Guilty until proven innocent.

Alarm Guy
09-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Here is my comment on ABC 30 face book page about this:

I am sure not all of those firearms are illegal or in illegal configuration. In fact I own a couple of the rifles pictured, and they are not illegal. I would also bet that the "grenade launcher" turns out to nothing but a flare launcher which is legal. This is a case of overzealous police and media frenzy. There are no laws stating how many firearms a person is allowed to own. And it is also not illegal to possess standard capacity magazines,(30 rounds). What does amuse me however is the "military style assault weapon" tag. Just because something looks "scary" and has a pistol grip doesn't mean it is fully automatic or more dangerous than any other semi automatic rifle.

roushstage2
09-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Here is my comment on ABC 30 face book page about this:

I am sure not all of those firearms are illegal or in illegal configuration. In fact I own a couple of the rifles pictured, and they are not illegal. I would also bet that the "grenade launcher" turns out to nothing but a flare launcher which is legal. This is a case of overzealous police and media frenzy. There are no laws stating how many firearms a person is allowed to own. And it is also not illegal to possess standard capacity magazines,(30 rounds). What does amuse me however is the "military style assault weapon" tag. Just because something looks "scary" and has a pistol grip doesn't mean it is fully automatic or more dangerous than any other semi automatic rifle.
QFT

Not sure why they are also getting all antsy over him having ammunition for his guns? Just goes back to what you posted I suppose. God forbid someone in this state who is not in law enforcement own something that shoots bullets. However, since they do say they are all "stolen military weapons," I'd have to hope they actually checked into that first before just assuming that because he had a collection that is probably a bit larger than most?

SocomM4
09-30-2011, 1:27 AM
Investigators from the MAGEC Metro Tactical Team along with the Fresno Police Department Violent Crime Impact Team searched a business in Parlier and a home in Kingsburg looking for numerous AK-74 machine guns believed to have been taken from Fort Irwin, Fresno Police Sgt. Dennis Lowry said.
Following the search of the home and business, investigators seized 40 military-type assault weapons, a grenade launcher, suppressed military assault rifles, high capacity magazines and ammunition, Lowry said.
The man was booked into Fresno County Jail on suspicion of a number of weapons charges.
The weapons seized by police were not those taken from Fort Irwin, Lowry said.

SickofSoCal
09-30-2011, 2:33 AM
What a bunch of BS.

Give the guy his guns back already.

SickofSoCal
09-30-2011, 2:35 AM
Nice M1 paratrooper in there.

Now they get all scratched up.

stix213
09-30-2011, 2:51 AM
I hope the right people get in contact and are able to determine if these are legit charges.

chim-chim7
09-30-2011, 3:50 AM
Only in flippin Kalifornia is this a big deal.

Shellshocker66
09-30-2011, 7:02 AM
So I guessing someone he thought was a friend turned him in, and then they got the warrant because ya know someone has to have those missing AK-74's from the military base.

Hopefully this turns out to be hogwash and he gets his collection back!

Cen Cal Gunner
09-30-2011, 7:14 AM
all the guy needed was 40 BB and it would have been all good:)

Beelzy
09-30-2011, 7:23 AM
What's scary here is how the Search Warrant was obtained....and most of that stuff is legal from what I could see, even the Flare Launcher.

Scary times indeed.

edward
09-30-2011, 9:15 AM
Link to the video
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/video?id=8373254

Flintlock Tom
09-30-2011, 9:46 AM
The most frustrating part of this story, for me, is that if he had been living 100 miles further North-East the story would have been in the Sunday supplement and it would have been about an awesome gun collection.

100 MILES!

bohoki
09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
40 assault weapons or 39 stripped lowers in a box

dozens of magazines heaven forbid they check any of our houses

G60
09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
From the Fresno Bee:

"Haga also had high-capacity ammunition magazines that could fire large numbers of rounds quickly and ammunition with power to penetrate several walls of a home"

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/09/29/2558427/man-booked-on-weapons-charges.html#storylink=omni_popular

Heaven forbid ammunition that can penetrate walls!!!

chuckdc
09-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Proof positive that Jerry Dyer is a nitwit. WTF was Fresno PD doing in Kingsburg? Did they run out of crime to fight in Fresno? I don't see the Sheriff involved here. Maybe she knows better?

Briancnelson
09-30-2011, 11:53 AM
The follow up that won't be so widely publicized is when they figure out that all the weapons were legal, and have to cite him for some misdemeanor to save face.

Oh it's possible the guy has a few illegal ones in there, but looking at the pictures I saw, I wasn't able to easily identify one. Guessing the flare launcher is a flare launcher too :P

cannon
09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I hope for this guys sake that all of his stuff is legal.

If his stuff is illegal he's a dope.

Ubermcoupe
09-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Looked like a nice collection, but where were the ILLEGAL ones?
Anything for a story right? :puke:

Colt-45
09-30-2011, 12:20 PM
In the rifle picture section of these forums, I've come across collections much more "scary" than the one this guy is being arrested for.

Great, they even show the mans home and the cross streets. Now thieves know where to look for guns.

"For the life of me, I can't understand why an individual would need a grenade launcher but he had one in his possession and again if that got into the wrong hands, it could be devastating on a neighborhood," said Dyer.

:facepalm:Don't you just love comments like these?:rolleyes:

Haga is charged with 40 counts of possessing illegal assault rifles and could face federal charges. He was released from Fresno County jail early Thursday morning due to overcrowding.

LMAO

Hell, who needs bail anymore?:D:D:D:D

I'm still wondering how the hell this guy got into the radar?

Wtf is Fresno City Police doing in Kingsburg?

So I guessing someone he thought was a friend turned him in, and then they got the warrant because ya know someone has to have those missing AK-74's from the military base.

AK74's in an American military base?!

GillaFunk
09-30-2011, 12:42 PM
I saw ONE M1 Carbine with a paratrooper stock, so I believe thats considered an SBR, no? OOOOOOOOHHHHH scarey!

Lets make note of this Dyer guy:
With a 9.4% surge in violent crime, Fresno police decided it was time for the city's first gun buy-back program, Chief Jerry Dyer said Monday. "I've heard for many years that guns do not kill people, that people kill people," Dyer said. But "people kill other people with guns,"
- The Fresno Bee (Fresno, CA) | August 4, 2009

Dateline: Garden of Eden
Due to a recent surge in murders God has scheduled the first rock buy back program.
God was quoted as saying: "I know they say rocks don’t kill people, people kill people. But people kill other people with rocks.
God is also considering the passing of a rock free school zone law." - UnTammed1972

Colt-45
09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
I bet those suppressors that they speak about are nothing but fake cans :rofl2:.

I wanted this guy to walk free. But,unless that gun which looks like a GSG-5 (MP5 clone), is a toy, this guy will be going down with at least 1 federal charge. That GSG look's to be in SBR configuration to me. Not that I think an SBR is anymore dangerous than a regular rifle but unfortunately it's the law, fed law for that matter. I hope I'm wrong and it's just missing it's barrel or something.

Alot of guys take guns home and assemble them into illegal configurations as soon as they take them home. Glad I never get too comfortable and think "cops will never visit me".

Is there any pictures of the guns so we can look at them more closely? the video just shows them in a big pile.

jdberger
09-30-2011, 1:11 PM

Apparently it was a tip about guns stolen from Ft Irwin - though I thought that was Barstow.

Ft Irwin is home of the OPFOR - they use Soviet equipment.

Dirtbiker
09-30-2011, 1:12 PM
A flare launcher is a flare launcher... police fail

but

Unless they were registered to him as AW or he had properly installed bulled buttons with only < 10 round mags in place he is toast. That's a nice FAL on the top of the pile.

Don't ever think the police can't show up at your home... just ask a couple members here how it happens.

Colt-45
09-30-2011, 1:13 PM
Ft Irwin is home of the OPFOR - they use Soviet equipment.

Didn't know such thing existed.

tenpercentfirearms
09-30-2011, 3:36 PM
I bet those suppressors that they speak about are nothing but fake cans :rofl2:.
I bet they were flash suppressors.

Colt-45
09-30-2011, 3:45 PM
I bet they were flash suppressors.

If that were true, that would be an even worse fail on their part.:facepalm:

Cali-Shooter
09-30-2011, 5:45 PM
I bet my CA legal "assault rifle" that grenade launcher is a 37mm flaregun at most.

That Fresno Chief is a damn tool, reminds me of Lee Baca.

Oceanbob
09-30-2011, 6:05 PM
Railroading gun owners is good business for Police Public Relations. The County Supervisors won't cut their Budget next year.

Too bad the man will have to spend big money and time getting them back.

By now a Federal Agent from the BATF is probably telling those Fresno Mall Ninja Cops that Fake Cans and Flare Launchers are not prohibited.

Neither is AMMO or owning normal capacity magazines against the law.

What is our State coming too?...

(did you notice how they threw these collectable rifles in a PILE.?..letting them get scratched up like they were trash.?)

I own 11 Registered Assault Weapons...many of the exact same weapons in the photos. I consider them valuable and I treat them carefully.

If the COPS showed up over at many of our homes with a BOGUS search warrant (this one was bogus, mainly because they were looking for stolen military weapons; none were found. Perhaps the other stuff found is not admissable? ) we would also make the news.....I'am sure.

AARRRGG!!!!!!

:mad:

anthonyca
09-30-2011, 6:10 PM
What's scary here is how the Search Warrant was obtained....and most of that stuff is legal from what I could see, even the Flare Launcher.

Scary times indeed.

How did they get the search warrant. What are they, red coats writing their own warrants on the porch?

bwiese
09-30-2011, 6:36 PM
From the Fresno Bee:

"Haga also had high-capacity ammunition magazines that could fire large numbers of rounds quickly and ammunition with power to penetrate several walls of a home"

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/09/29/2558427/man-booked-on-weapons-charges.html#storylink=omni_popular

Damn, they're describing what I have under my bed. Legally.

That's not an arsenal, that's an introductory gunrights kit.

firemedic679
09-30-2011, 6:42 PM
for those asking why FPD was in Kingsburg its because it was the MAGEC (Multi-Agency Gang Enforcement Consortium) team which is made up of multiple agencies here to include fpd, chp, fso, sanger, kingsburg etc. they go anywhere in the county for investigations, and follow ups. why magec was involved with this i have no idea.

GettoPhilosopher
09-30-2011, 7:17 PM
From the Fresno Bee:

Like every ammo ever made? :P Do they really think drywall magically stops bullets?

comblock
09-30-2011, 9:04 PM
I see an evil barrel shroud!

gorn5150
09-30-2011, 9:22 PM
In the rifle picture section of these forums, I've come across collections SNIP....

Yeah, Fort Irwin is home of OPFOR. They are equipped with our enemies weapons so they can do realistic war games with troops about to deploy.

vonderplatz
09-30-2011, 9:34 PM
The banner of the video said "Stolen Weapons", and the reporter then said; the "Police do not know where they came from". I swear they would call a flintlock an AW.

Colt-45
09-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Anyone else see the SBR GSG-5 or am I seeing things?

Looks like a GSG-5 pistol with stock.

MrExel17
09-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Thats a bunch of KAKA

bsg
09-30-2011, 11:30 PM
"a big bust" is how it starts out in describing this... and ending with that he was busted Wednesday night and released Thursday morning "due to overcrowding."

roushstage2
10-01-2011, 1:49 AM
From the Fresno Bee:

Like every ammo ever made? :P Do they really think drywall magically stops bullets?
We all know how insanely strong and sturdy drywall is against everything in the world...he must be on the hunt for people in their houses!:facepalm:

Scratch705
10-01-2011, 2:01 AM
We all know how insanely strong and sturdy drywall is against everything in the world...he must be on the hunt for people in their houses!:facepalm:

well most people out there believe what tv/movies show them, and most of the time they show that bullets don't penetrate walls and car doors.

gorn5150
10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Anyone else see the SBR GSG-5 or am I seeing things?

Looks like a GSG-5 pistol with stock.

You can't be seeing an ilegal firearm in the pile. If you did then all of the experts on this board who are second guessing what happened without any real knowledge of the case would be mistaken. No way in calgun world did the cops do something right.

Colt-45
10-01-2011, 4:31 PM
The GsG-5 is the ONLY illegal one I'm seeing.

compulsivegunbuyer
10-01-2011, 5:28 PM
"For the life of me, I can't understand why an individual would need a grenade launcher but he had one in his possession and again if that got into the wrong hands, it could be devastating on a neighborhood," said Dyer

What, is he going to throw it at somebody? Without grenades, even if it is a grenade launcher, it's useless. Wow, I feel so much safer now. These guys are realy earning that lifetime pension and medical benefits I'm paying for.

I own 11 Registered Assault Weapons...many of the exact same weapons in the photos. I consider them valuable and I treat them carefully.

And if the cops happen to break down your door, they will take them anyways.

pedlor
10-08-2011, 8:47 PM
In the rifle picture section of these forums, I've come across collections much more "scary" than the one this guy is being arrested for.

Great, they even show the mans home and the cross streets. Now thieves know where to look for guns.

:facepalm:Don't you just love comments like these?:rolleyes:

LMAO

Hell, who needs bail anymore?:D:D:D:D

I'm still wondering how the hell this guy got into the radar?

Haga's Brother is a former Kingsburg cop, current Fresno Cop. They had to clean up before the Feds did.

Cali-Shooter
10-08-2011, 9:50 PM
To think what the outcome would have been if it were a free state, he might have had them confiscated, but he'd get them back, and he wouldn't have been convicted of bogus gun law violations.