PDA

View Full Version : New to the ak what are the must have additions?

Gruber51
09-29-2011, 7:14 PM
I have several ar builds completed, but new to the ak. Just bought arsenal 7.62. What are the must have mods, besides the houge grip? P.s. Anyone have thoughts on the Midwest industries rear sight optic mount.

Jpach
09-29-2011, 7:22 PM
The MUST HAVE additions are **** tons of ammo.

Other than that, it really depends on what you want.

Most people just take their AKs to the range and bang steel, and thus not much is required.

Perhaps a red dot would be a nice addition to your AK?

crazy
09-29-2011, 7:25 PM
Ammo! But someone beat me to it.

smattenson
09-29-2011, 7:27 PM
I dunno about must have mods but I know I replaced my shepards hook with a krebs custom plate (I love it). Makes taking apart and putting things back together a snap.

Philthy
09-29-2011, 7:28 PM
It's an ak, get the shepherd's crook retaining plate - it makes things super easy.

If you want to get crazy, try the red star arms trigger. Other than that, I leave things as they are.

tujungatoes
09-29-2011, 7:29 PM
It's not an AR, it's an AK. The only things you "need" are ammo and range time.

m03
09-29-2011, 7:31 PM
Mags, ammo, FCG retainer plate, brake. I wouldn't change anything else.

MrPlink
09-29-2011, 7:39 PM
You are going to need as many tapco (g3 and brake aside), utg, and barska parts as you can possibly fit on there.

If thats too expensive go to your local airsoft shop (a great spot for optics btw) and stock up there.

AND if you do the opposite of above you should just fine ;)

badduggy
09-29-2011, 7:42 PM
the vickers ak operator class or the one offered by LMS

ElvenSoul
Tons of ammo, sling, bayonet, and flask of Vodka!

comblock
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! THIS AINT NO AR15:)

ElvenSoul
09-29-2011, 8:01 PM
Maybe one of these.

http://www.kalashnikovwatches.com/site_e.html

Gruber51
09-29-2011, 8:02 PM
I'll look into the retainer plate, thanks. And always follow the golden rule 1,000 round minimum per gun.

zfields
09-29-2011, 8:08 PM
Meh, I dont take down my FCG ever, not really needed.

Ammo, maybe a dot, and a good brake.

Gruber51
09-29-2011, 8:17 PM
Anybody had good luck with vortex sparc?

Bigtwin
09-29-2011, 8:19 PM
Ammo is what you need and lots of it! You could if you feel compelled, buy some reloading dies just see what you can do(though not really nessasary), the difference for most is not worth it. I just love to try to play with reloading.

Other than that, I do love my Hogue grip, far more than the AK grip. That is just preference though!

OH and get more ammo!

zfields
09-29-2011, 8:20 PM
Anybody had good luck with vortex sparc?

Buddy has one, he likes it. Screw on magnifier is kinda dumb though.

I really like my primary arms M3multi. Really like having the 2 MOA dot + the other recticles which are a little faster for me to pick up.

Richard Erichsen
09-29-2011, 8:24 PM
I have several ar builds completed, but new to the ak. Just bought arsenal 7.62. What are the must have mods, besides the houge grip? P.s. Anyone have thoughts on the Midwest industries rear sight optic mount.

You bought an Arsenal, not much needed. They are already well put together.

As for MWI rails, which one?

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=421

This one that sights over the rear sight block?

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=391

Or one of these for a specific optic?

I bought the generic MWI with a regular picatinny top that I had drilled out for the thick vented barrel of the Yugo M72. I like it well enough, though it's no lightweight if that matters to you.

I like the US Palm pistol grips quite a lot too, but if you have to use a gripstrap if you go featureless it's pointless.

Add few good magazines (they're really aren't many bad AK magazines), head over to Wideners for a case of Yugo surplus and you're done.

R

Gruber51
09-29-2011, 8:28 PM
I was looking into the one that mounts to rear sight, just worried that something that is designed to hold a simple dovetail sight won't hold up a small red dot during recoil.

RobGR
09-29-2011, 8:28 PM
Go shoot it first, dial in your iron sights. Though Arsenal usually has them zeroed out the box.

But yeah, a better pistol grip, hogue or ergo is good, and a solar tactical gen 2 BB. Or go featureless, so no BB.

Saw Sturmgewehre's review on the Sparc. Sounds good to me, get it! And use a side mount, but not sure if the Sparc mounts on this. It should though. http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ak47sideraillowprofilewquickrelease.aspx

Have fun.

zfields
09-29-2011, 8:30 PM
I was looking into the one that mounts to rear sight, just worried that something that is designed to hold a simple dovetail sight won't hold up a small red dot during recoil.

Honestly, the little cheapy siderail mount one holds up pretty well for range use. I wouldnt trust it for taking tactical courses. If you want something more solid, MI or ultimak forward rails, or a texas dog leg, or the cheaper beryl style mount.

chrisf
09-29-2011, 8:47 PM
You need no mods I have a suggestion. Throw your ak in the garbage go down to your local gun shop and buy a good ol american ar-15 :-) jp, I like ask the way they are.

FiveSeven
09-29-2011, 9:02 PM

Even better.
AR's are not only rifles that one be customized. Absolutely nothing wrong with AK with modern stuff on it. Although there is a wrong way to do this as well. Just like with AR's and it has nothing to do with a rifle platform but everything with efficiency & usefulness.

Anyway, people will always impose their views on what AK should be or look like or what it is or not.
It's your rifle and customize it and do whatever floats your boat.
I like technology and innovation in firearms and if there's an item that will make my rifle more comfortable (ergonomic) than wooden 2x4, I'll try it and if there's something that will make shooting easier, faster and more accurate I'm all for it.

Few of mine, not entirely done yet. But hands down it's much better than any old outdated stock AK. Ergonomics/handling is on par with AR or even better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/sergey25/Guns2/Image1h7.jpg

Gruber51
09-29-2011, 9:12 PM
Honestly, the little cheapy siderail mount one holds up pretty well for range use. I wouldnt trust it for taking tactical courses. If you want something more solid, MI or ultimak forward rails, or a texas dog leg, or the cheaper beryl style mount.

Great stuff, that Texas dog leg is awesome, but how is compatibility with arsenal. Does it fit well and is finish similar.

zfields
09-29-2011, 9:17 PM
Great stuff, that Texas dog leg is awesome, but how is compatibility with arsenal. Does it fit well and is finish similar.

Arsernals are just Saigas with a pretty name on them, work fine.

As far as finish, its anodonized (cant spell for S***), not covered in the dried blood of russian factory workers.

calibanman
09-29-2011, 9:20 PM
A camera to take a pic of your shiet eating ear to ear grin after you do a mag dump.:43:

Gruber51
09-29-2011, 9:24 PM
You need no mods I have a suggestion. Throw your ak in the garbage go down to your local gun shop and buy a good ol american ar-15 :-) jp, I like ask the way they are.

Don't you worry I'm American through and through I have ar's in 5.56, 6.8, and 308. Thought I was done tell I laid my hands on some lwrc rifles. I'll have to add those to the bucket list. Plus, I got an arsenal it got a little American loving in Vegas before I bought it.

AMERICA!!!

Ryan in SD
09-29-2011, 9:37 PM

purists... gottta love them.

I just put an eotech on my ak74 :chris:

chead
09-29-2011, 10:23 PM

Flatter finish than on Arsenal guns. I had to grind down a bit of the lip of the retaining pin that you push through the leaf sight mount so it would go flush(ish). You may find the legs on the recoil spring clip are too tall, so just grind them down a LITTLE. They will lose their finish from use and fit better.

RustyMacHine
09-29-2011, 10:36 PM
P.s. Anyone have thoughts on the Midwest industries rear sight optic mount.

Are you talking about this:
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g444/andrewdean/Calguns%20for%20sale%20items/09122011226.jpg

It does work. Made shooting the Draco easier/quicker.

ZX-10R
09-30-2011, 6:25 AM

Palm grip is better IMO. Optics mount BP-02 is king...TWS mount is interesting and am debating it since I have to many purchases going on. Stock adapters...You like the stock as is? Get a NATO length or get an AR stock adapter. A couple of wood stocks...I have 4 and I just paint them and work on them for fun. My second AK pattern is getting its wood redone. A different muzzle device I use the Nodak Tabuk on one and an AK74 type on my other. Handguards? I shoot standing, kneeling, and bench...Shooting with an AFG is awesome especially out past 50yrds - stock adapter now comes into play as well. A lot of magazines. I prefer Tapco and US Palm. Steel is great as well but I prefer using the magazine as a grip as well and that is where the steel fails (Traditional is awesome I have one that is however, I shoot my AK patterns not stare at them). Spare bolt carriers, springs, firing pins, etc.

Good luck and congrats.

ZX-10R
09-30-2011, 6:26 AM

Any day you want your AKs to go up against mine let me know.:rolleyes: I am talking grouping not spray and pray either.

Mail Clerk
09-30-2011, 7:32 AM

In my book you need to test fire and make sure it operates fine..... Put on a red dot scope ( your choice is fine ) and the most inportant...see if you have a canted front sight and correct it if necessary.

Mail Clerk

M.C.
09-30-2011, 7:46 AM
Tons of ammo, sling, bayonet, and flask of Vodka!

Throw in some cheap cigars and some borscht and you have a party fit for Stalin.

:rofl:

Arisaka
09-30-2011, 7:51 AM
you need an oil bottle, bayonet, cleaning kit, and a sling. I will gladly sell you all of the above :-)

Quickdraw Mcgraw
09-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Since nobodys said it they way I like my ak is ultimak rail/red-dot done. Cowitness with irons jus like yer ar and makes shootin very fun!!

ham
09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
a "Predator" laser sight:

http://laserpointerforums.com/attachments/f42/16350-aixiz-3-predators-sight-beam1_001.jpg

Mamluke
09-30-2011, 11:43 AM

+1
The ONLY THINK I would ad is perhaps a good muzzle break, I have the slanted one on my AK & its fine, but just recently got the AimSmall extended break (allows me to fold the metal stock) & noticed quite a bit less recoil when I shot the rifle at the range!

enmqHm0bk00

yuccales
09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
A camera to take a pic of your shiet eating ear to ear grin after you do a mag dump.:43:

Ain't that the truth! :)

someR1
09-30-2011, 12:17 PM

indeed.

Richard Erichsen
09-30-2011, 12:21 PM

It's a cantalever arrangement, the only thing the rear sight provides is an anchor. I don't have one to evaluate, but MWI doesn't put out garbage and do a lot of testing before they make a design available for sale.

I prefer the Texas Weapon Systems Dog Leg 2 (now available for Yugo as well) where a forward optic mounted on top of the gas system would throw off the balance of the weapon (Aimpoint Micro T1 is just right). If you must have a red dot sight of some kind (assuming it's what you are used to) the TWS may be a better option and allows a very low sight line without changing the handgrips. One precaution is that the TWS Dog Leg anchors at the front to the rear sight bock via a pin and clip and at the rear to the rear trunnion and replaces the recoil guide which you must refit the spring over and then fasten the retaining clip. I've got the technique down to a painless two step operation, but it was an awful learning process. It locks up tightly and the fit and finish is second to none.

For a forward mounted optic choice, I have and rather like the Ultimak, which is lower than the MWI since it replaces the gas tube and upper handguard with a one piece aluminum picatinny rail. It's a bit futsy to get it in properly since you need a bit of clearance front and rear to allow for thermal expansion, but once it's aligned it cinches down with steel straps that go around the barrel and fasten with allen head screws through the rail. It stays put, but I wonder about optics with the lifespan of optics with electronics near the base where heat from the gas system could cook them.

R

oddball
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Your Arsenal is a fine rifle out of the box. Doesn't need really anything.

I'm with the ammo and mags crowd.

Ryan in SD
09-30-2011, 1:55 PM
Even better.
AR's are not only rifles that one be customized. Absolutely nothing wrong with AK with modern stuff on it. Although there is a wrong way to do this as well. Just like with AR's and it has nothing to do with a rifle platform but everything with efficiency & usefulness.

Anyway, people will always impose their views on what AK should be or look like or what it is or not.
It's your rifle and customize it and do whatever floats your boat.
I like technology and innovation in firearms and if there's an item that will make my rifle more comfortable (ergonomic) than wooden 2x4, I'll try it and if there's something that will make shooting easier, faster and more accurate I'm all for it.

Few of mine, not entirely done yet. But hands down it's much better than any old outdated stock AK. Ergonomics/handling is on par with AR or even better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/sergey25/Guns2/Image1h7.jpg

What kind of sight is that on the far right gun?

FiveSeven
09-30-2011, 2:08 PM
PK-01 V

Sunday
09-30-2011, 2:22 PM
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! THIS AINT NO AR15:)I would tend to agree but nothing is really needed with an AR !!!!!

West coast
09-30-2011, 2:57 PM
Noting.... Just lots of AMMO

CSACANNONEER
09-30-2011, 3:44 PM
Don't waste your money on crap that will make your AK look more tacticool and less like a gun that gets used. Just go shoot the thing and shoot the thing and shoot the thing.

FiveSeven
09-30-2011, 10:52 PM
^
l

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/sergey25/xt3/haters-gonna-hate-owl.jpg

BTW, it's not what's attached to the gun that makes it shoot-able, its the person owning it that does.
Flashlight can be taken off if it's daytime shooting at a public range and it does not take time or special effort to do so.
Red dot or scope if anything makes one shoot the gun more often as its more fun than just using plain old boring irons.
All other stuff, grip, fore-end grip, adjustable stock or whatever just makes shooting a bit more pleasant.
Comfortable = more shooting.

Anchors
09-30-2011, 11:27 PM
You need a set of beautiful wooden furniture.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDNEWSaiga_2.html

ETA: And mags and ammo.

tacticalcity
09-30-2011, 11:31 PM
the vickers ak operator class or the one offered by LMS

I like this suggestion.

There is nothing wrong with tricking out an AK, but there is nothing wrong with it keeping it pure either.

Dhena81
10-01-2011, 12:12 AM
I think its hilarious some people get a kick out of saying the only way is keeping an AK stock. Like its tough to be pure to the AK or something if you enjoy it being pure that's one thing and I understand that. But in reality if you really wanted a real fighting gun and you wanted to get all the performance gains you could out of the AK you need to modify it seriously lets be real.

CSACANNONEER
10-01-2011, 5:11 AM
I think its hilarious some people get a kick out of saying the only way is keeping an AK stock. Like its tough to be pure to the AK or something if you enjoy it being pure that's one thing and I understand that. But in reality if you really wanted a real fighting gun and you wanted to get all the performance gains you could out of the AK you need to modify it seriously lets be real.

Really? Are you sure that one NEEDS to put extra crap on an AK before it's a "real fighting gun"? If that's so, there are literally millions of people doing it all wrong. They have been and still are using bone stock AKs in real combat every day. It's the little extras that can end up breaking when you need the gun to function the most. That's why not putting that crap on in the first place is probably the best idea. One can do what they want but, the simpler the rifle, the less there is to go wrong with it. That is part of the beauty of the AK un the first place.

BTW, it's not what's attached to the gun that makes it shoot-able, its the person owning it that does.
Flashlight can be taken off if it's daytime shooting at a public range and it does not take time or special effort to do so.
Red dot or scope if anything makes one shoot the gun more often as its more fun than just using plain old boring irons.
All other stuff, grip, fore-end grip, adjustable stock or whatever just makes shooting a bit more pleasant.
Comfortable = more shooting.

And the alternate opinion is that less crap = more comfort. Boring optics are not as fun to shoot with as traditional irons. As someone who only owns a few (+/-12) AKs, I do not own optics for any of them. I have choosen furniture which is comfortable to shoot with and, for me, that means no FPG. So, while I completely agree with the spirit of your post, I disagree with your opinion of what makes a gun less boring or more comfortable. But, I also acknowledge that some of this is going to be the shooters own opinion.

fmunk
10-01-2011, 7:23 AM
http://texasweaponsystems.com/

Beyond that, why be anyone's *****? Put whatever you want on it. It's your money, your gun.

Dhena81
10-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Really? Are you sure that one NEEDS to put extra crap on an AK before it's a "real fighting gun"? If that's so, there are literally millions of people doing it all wrong. They have been and still are using bone stock AKs in real combat every day. It's the little extras that can end up breaking when you need the gun to function the most. That's why not putting that crap on in the first place is probably the best idea. One can do what they want but, the simpler the rifle, the less there is to go wrong with it. That is part of the beauty of the AK un the first place.

I absolutely don't think that I just should have chose my words more carefully it wasn't my intention to come across like that. Mainly the point is there are some upgrades you would want to do if it was your fighting gun. One example might be you need a light ok how do you attach a light. Another is you might want a suppressor a flash hider or a more effective brake there goes the muzzle device. What if you want magnification or a RDS or a better rear sight. So what I'm saying is if your needs drifts from Mr. Kalashnikov original intention 54 years ago I think that's fine. Lets face it a gun design that is that old and is still relevant is a testament to how great the original design was.

shark92651
10-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I would say Ammo and an attitude that you don't really care what it looks like or how accurate it is, as long as it goes "bang" every time you squeeze the trigger.

RobGR
10-01-2011, 7:01 PM
a "Predator" laser sight:

http://laserpointerforums.com/attachments/f42/16350-aixiz-3-predators-sight-beam1_001.jpg

hhhahahaha, yes!

pacifico23
10-01-2011, 8:43 PM
Don't waste your money on crap that will make your AK look more tacticool and less like a gun that gets used. Just go shoot the thing and shoot the thing and shoot the thing.

I'm doing a saiga conversion and actually ended up going the tacticool route. For a couple reasons. I wouldn't want polymer and would like wood, but don't have any finishing experience so I wont have much time to refinish the ironwood furniture by oct 15 build party, thats if they can ship it i time. Also, I go shooting alot with my family, and my parents hate the ak. My dads a really big made in america stickler. They would never want one in their house (which is where I store my long guns since I live in a apt). Im hoping when I show up with a americanized one they will be more open:patriot:. My dad especially, says he has not interest in aks.

But we shall see:43:. I may have to quarantine or isolate it amongst our other long guns lol.

Anchors
10-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm doing a saiga conversion and actually ended up going the tacticool route. For a couple reasons. I wouldn't want polymer and would like wood, but don't have any finishing experience so I wont have much time to refinish the ironwood furniture by oct 15 build party, thats if they can ship it i time. Also, I go shooting alot with my family, and my parents hate the ak. My dads a really big made in america stickler. They would never want one in their house (which is where I store my long guns since I live in a apt). Im hoping when I show up with a americanized one they will be more open:patriot:. My dad especially, says he has not interest in aks.

But we shall see:43:. I may have to quarantine or isolate it amongst our other long guns lol.

Haha.
He'll warm up to it once he gets to shoot it.
They're a lot of fun.

M.C.
10-02-2011, 8:12 AM

And the alternate opinion is that less crap = more comfort. Boring optics are not as fun to shoot with as traditional irons. As someone who only owns a few (+/-12) AKs, I do not own optics for any of them. I have choosen furniture which is comfortable to shoot with and, for me, that means no FPG. So, while I completely agree with the spirit of your post, I disagree with your opinion of what makes a gun less boring or more comfortable. But, I also acknowledge that some of this is going to be the shooters own opinion.

Wow.

Ryan in SD
10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Honestly, what will probably happen is you will get at least 2 AKs. 1 thats bone stock and 1 thats modernized.

The irons on AKs are bad for long range, not as fast/precise as a good red dot. Ive shot a lot with and without and its clearly faster and more precise for me to shoot with a red dot. You may be a freak and do better without one though, who knows.

The sight radius and broad front post make precise quick follow up shots at long range very hard. I still like shooting with irons too though, it is more challenging and rewarding when you get in the groove and start connecting back to back shots.

Really though, I think making it easier to aim and ergonomic to fit you is the only mods you can really use. Anything else is just for looks.

Gruber51
10-02-2011, 6:06 PM
[QUOTE=Ryan in SD;7253157]Honestly, what will probably happen is you will get at least 2 AKs. 1 thats bone stock and 1 thats modernized.

Haha, wow how did u read my mind

kosherbacon
10-02-2011, 9:01 PM
I generally start with a sling for my rifles, whenever possible. Maybe get a bayonet because... bayonet:p