PDA

View Full Version : planning to buy my first handgun. M&P 40 or PPQ?

go4kil
09-29-2011, 7:09 PM
I'm planning to buy my first handgun and i was just wondering if anyone here has experience with both guns. I still haven't been to the range to try out the M&P but I have been to the store and i love the way it fits my hands. I don't think they have PPQ on the range for me to try. wait... is walther PPQ even CA legal? pls dont bash me... im new.. :)

Dark Mod
09-29-2011, 7:12 PM
Never even touched a PPQ and but they look cool. My vote goes for the M&P, everyone i know who owns one absolutley loves them

gatesbox
09-29-2011, 7:16 PM
I'd put my vote in for M&P as is closest to simple glock type operation, no additional safety etc....would work well in a tactical class even if 9 out of ten of the other students had glocks....

When looking at first pistol don't forget to check out mag prices....Best to know how expensive additional mags will run.....

Get3CoffinsReady
09-29-2011, 7:21 PM
I'd put my vote in for M&P as is closest to simple glock type operation, no additional safety etc....would work well in a tactical class even if 9 out of ten of the other students had glocks....

When looking at first pistol don't forget to check out mag prices....Best to know how expensive additional mags will run.....

Heard that..that is what killed the SIG P226 for me. Mags were hard to find and too expensive.

I would go with M&P however; the M&P pistols have a mag safety, not sure if that is a problem for you. It was for me and disabling it would void your warranty.

PRKArms
09-29-2011, 7:48 PM
Just got in a PPQ for the first time last week and it was in the case for less than a full day before it got snatched up. Function is very close to the Glock(no external safety aside from split trigger, trigger is around 5lbs, sear reset is even shorter than a Glock), plus the grip is very ergonomic. They aren't on the roster, but we can do one for you for MSRP.

Q619
09-29-2011, 8:31 PM
I'd get the Walther.....the M&P is a great gun but as previously mentioned: the trigger is better on the German gun (something I'm not used to saying :p) and I like the way it feels in the hand more. I'm a big fan of the German mag release too.

BlackRain17
09-29-2011, 8:35 PM
Get the M&P 40, you'll love it.

Shenaniguns
09-29-2011, 8:38 PM
Your new, why . 40?

shooterdude
09-30-2011, 5:34 AM
I'm planning to buy my first handgun and i was just wondering if anyone here has experience with both guns. I still haven't been to the range to try out the M&P but I have been to the store and i love the way it fits my hands. I don't think they have PPQ on the range for me to try. wait... is walther PPQ even CA legal? pls dont bash me... im new.. :)

Consider the FNP as well. So far it has the best trigger of any stock polymer gun I have tried, very comparable to a Sig trigger. They come with 3 magazines and are very price competitive.

You are going to get this a lot so get used to it but why must it be a .40? Shot placement is the key and comes through control which is developed through practice which is more cost effective with a 9mm.

I'm not going to rehash the caliber debate other than to say that those discussions always come down to shot placement not bullet size considering that modern defense rounds are equally destructive in 9mm, .40 and .45 .

ZX-10R
09-30-2011, 5:50 AM
Consider the FNP as well. So far it has the best trigger of any stock polymer gun I have tried, very comparable to a Sig trigger. They come with 3 magazines and are very price competitive.

You are going to get this a lot so get used to it but why must it be a .40? Shot placement is the key and comes through control which is developed through practice which is more cost effective with a 9mm.

I'm not going to rehash the caliber debate other than to say that those discussions always come down to shot placement not bullet size considering that modern defense rounds are equally destructive in 9mm, .40 and .45 .

This. I have an M&P 45 and love it have the FNP-9 and love it. Would be hard to get rid of either but that will never happen.

zman
09-30-2011, 6:28 AM
I'd go with the PPQ if I could get one. Too many Glocks, XDs and M&Ps in Kali already :)

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/W_PPQ40_WAP00Q40_R-cmyk.jpg

Oceanbob
09-30-2011, 6:39 AM
I'd go with the PPQ if I could get one. Too many Glocks, XDs and M&Ps in Kali already :)

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/W_PPQ40_WAP00Q40_R-cmyk.jpg

From a distance she almost looks like an HK45. :)

zman
09-30-2011, 6:48 AM

Haha! That's what I thought too.

Q619
09-30-2011, 8:37 AM

:p I was just telling a friend it's their version of the P30

go4kil
09-30-2011, 9:53 AM
Your new, why . 40?

not sure, i've shot .40 with my cousins Hk P30 before, last time i shot 9mm was in boot camp...

Sunday
09-30-2011, 3:02 PM
I would consider parts availibity and prices and magazine prices on the pistol you purchase.

osxgp
09-30-2011, 3:13 PM
The Walther PPQ is not going to make the list. You can do the single shot exemption but they dont make 10 round mags for the gun yet. So the SSE is useless because you couldnt shoot it unless your law enforcement.

go4kil
09-30-2011, 4:59 PM
guess its M&P 9 or 40

Q619
09-30-2011, 5:24 PM
The Walther PPQ is not going to make the list. You can do the single shot exemption but they dont make 10 round mags for the gun yet. So the SSE is useless because you couldnt shoot it unless your law enforcement.

I believe it uses the same mags as the p99....aren't there 10 rounders for those? I think the p99 is on the list.

Aspec5vz
09-30-2011, 5:43 PM
My vote is for the PPQ but it's off-roster.

As for the mag issue...you could always block the mags to 10 rounds; but I believe that P99 mags will work in it.

go4kil
09-30-2011, 6:12 PM
i would really love to get my hands on the PPQ without paying an arm and a leg.

Aspec5vz
09-30-2011, 6:48 PM
$690 from tablerockarms.com.

I think that's a pretty decent price.

tacticalcity
09-30-2011, 6:52 PM

My sentiments exactly. The M&P is a nice gun. I'm old school and prefer the Glock, but the M&P would make a very nice first gun. Easy to learn on, has the sexy appeal going on, a good choice. The dovetail on it prevents slide bit which is really nice feature, especially for a first time handgun owner.

The Walther has a very short reset which I like, but you would have to jump through a lot of hoops to get here and spend extra money. I don't have any trigger time on it since it's brand new and have yet to see one in person but the video reviews makes it seem like all my past compliants about walther's have been fixed. It's designed to prevent slide bit as well. It looks very promising, but as with all things new time will tell.

Whatever you get, your next stop needs to be a defensive handgun course. See the Competition, Action Shooting and Training Section here on Calguns and look for a school near you. No substitute for professional training. Here in Sacramento I recommend Grey Ops Firearms Training.

P1X4R
09-30-2011, 6:58 PM
As for the mag issue...you could always block the mags to 10 rounds; but I believe that P99 mags will work in it.

the newer ones will (without hitting the feed ramp) but not the older magazines.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/16356-ppq-magazine-question.html

nameless
09-30-2011, 7:06 PM
I own a PPQ 9mm. Picked it up about 2 weeks ago through SSE. It's a great gun. It's like a HK P30 and a Glock 17 had child. I also have both these. The ergonomics are great like the HK P30 and I can shoot it very accurate just like my Glock.

It comes with two 15 round mags that you could block to 10 rounds. For 9mm the 10 round mags from the P99 (part # WAF65000) work just fine. I had extra emailed smith-wesson Walther America and they confirmed. So picked up a couple of P99 mags and have had no problem. The original mags that come with the PPQ actually say P99 on the side but have a PPQ branded floor plate.

P1X4R
09-30-2011, 7:10 PM
i believe you can also use the Baby Desert Eagle mags by Magnum Research which costs much less. Manufacturer #: MAGFA915

go4kil
09-30-2011, 7:56 PM
I own a PPQ 9mm. Picked it up about 2 weeks ago through SSE. It's a great gun. It's like a HK P30 and a Glock 17 had child. I also have both these. The ergonomics are great like the HK P30 and I can shoot it very accurate just like my Glock.

It comes with two 15 round mags that you could block to 10 rounds. For 9mm the 10 round mags from the P99 (part # WAF65000) work just fine. I had extra emailed smith-wesson Walther America and they confirmed. So picked up a couple of P99 mags and have had no problem. The original mags that come with the PPQ actually say P99 on the side but have a PPQ branded floor plate.

how and where did you get the PPQ? sorry, im a total noob to this. I

vincnet11
09-30-2011, 8:10 PM
Heard that..that is what killed the SIG P226 for me. Mags were hard to find and too expensive.

I would go with M&P however; the M&P pistols have a mag safety, not sure if that is a problem for you. It was for me and disabling it would void your warranty.That's why you get Mec-Gar mags for the Sig they only cost $20-$30.

nameless
09-30-2011, 8:10 PM
how and where did you get the PPQ? sorry, im a total noob to this. I

I got mine from Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas. If you are in the SF bay area drop by their place or send them an email. They'll help you out.

Zman11
09-30-2011, 8:20 PM
If you decide on the M&P, I would agree with you on the .40, as it will increase your options down the road.

The first handgun I bought was the M&P 9c. I loved it, but after I learned and got used to shooting it, I wanted the .40. With the M&P 40 you have the option of buying the Storm Lake conversion barrel to convert the .40 to a 9mm, however, this will not work in reverse. If you have the M&P 9, you are stuck with the 9 only.

I ended up selling my 9c just so I could purchase the 40c. Later on I also ended up buying the .357 SIG barrel direct from S&W for under $100. The barrel is just a drop-in with no other changes required.

I'm just trying to save you the same problems I ran into by buying a 9mm and later wishing I had started with the .40.

weinerd
09-30-2011, 10:25 PM
It's like a HK P30 and a Glock 17 had child.

No, Walther had the original design concept first...

The PPQ is just the continued evolution of the P99- a more refined version of the P99 TA (with the external ambidextrous slide release)...

Considering the P99 design came out in the mid to late 90s and the HK P30 didn't come out till 10 years later, the P30 is just the continued evolution of the P2000, and it's the P2000 which is like a P99 + HK USP.

I really like my SW99... once the PPQ becomes roster-friendly, I'll definitely think of trading up. I've loved the P99 design since it first came out.

tacticalcity
10-01-2011, 12:12 AM
He means the new grip design looks similar (but not identical to) the P30. It clearly got a little inspiration from HK. Yes the P99 came out before the P30, but the Glock was around long before that and they all borrowed from it. Walther is not ashamed to "borrow" things they like nor is S&W. Thankfully they were not as blatant about it as S&W was when they released the first Sigma with actions that looked like carbon copies of the Glock.

Regardless, very interesting gun. It is going to be fun to sit back and watch how the various shooting communities react to it. Could be a game changer. But everyone thought that about the XD, then the deaper people looked the flaws emerged. So far the only negative thing people are saying about the PPQ is about the magazine release paddles. Time will tell.

626Tony
10-01-2011, 5:19 AM
i got a PPQ from Table rock arms and I LOVE IT !! my next is a PPS !

go4kil
10-01-2011, 6:44 AM
Tony? Where did you do your sse?

Shenaniguns
10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Sticking to cheaper but as capable 9mm and using the rest of money on training >>>>>>>>>>> useless conversion kits IMO.

BajaJames83
10-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Does walther make a 9mm conversion for the .40 ppq....

weinerd
10-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Does walther make a 9mm conversion for the .40 ppq....

Doubt it... You could probably commission Bar-Sto to custom make one though, just need the mags.