PDA

View Full Version : Getting medieval on the SGMT SKS 7.62x39 75 Round Drum - Can it be Disassembled?

Exile Machine
09-29-2011, 5:34 PM
I've gotten customer requests to supply this drum as a rebuild kit, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it apart without utterly destroying it. Anyone have experience with this beast? I'd like to be able to ship this and its brethren into CA as harmless little bags of repair parts.

I've got a couple hard pipe-hitting mag disassembly guys here who'll get medieval on it with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch, but before I cut them loose, thought I'd elicit the combined wisdom of the Calguns community.

-Mark
http://www.exilemachine.net/shop/images/MGSSF76276D_1.jpg

zfields
09-29-2011, 6:23 PM
How much does it have to be disassembled before its considered a rebuild kit?

Edit: You must have been seeing all the Pulp Fiction blue ray commercials lately also : )

Exile Machine
09-29-2011, 6:27 PM
How much does it have to be disassembled before its considered a rebuild kit?

Ideally complete disassembly but I'd settle for the minimum disassembly needed to prevent the feeding of ammunition.
-Mark

Edit: You must have been seeing all the Pulp Fiction blue ray commercials lately also : )
Actually no, don't have TV on which to see commercials. I'm just a big pulp fiction fan.

NorCalK9.com
09-29-2011, 6:59 PM
I will be placing an order with you guys tomorrow. Remember no disassembly fee. I want 5 45rnd 545x39 mags.

Carsgunsandchics
09-29-2011, 7:15 PM
When you open up the back there is a large button in the center of the ferris wheel with pawls/tabs that engages the winding tab on the cover. It might be tight but just turn this button counterclockwise while holding the ferris wheel. The button will unthread and come off then just rotate the wheel a little to get the follower out of the tower of the mag and lightly pull the wheel out of the housing. The spring is encased and will not jump out. If you need more help I can pm you my cell number and go step by step.

Exile Machine
09-29-2011, 7:24 PM
When you open up the back there is a large button in the center of the ferris wheel with pawls/tabs that engages the winding tab on the cover. It might be tight but just turn this button counterclockwise while holding the ferris wheel. The button will unthread and come off then just rotate the wheel a little to get the follower out of the tower of the mag and lightly pull the wheel out of the housing. The spring is encased and will not jump out. If you need more help I can pm you my cell number and go step by step.

Thanks, I tried that and no worky. The button spins forever without unthreading... It's baffling. PM me your number and best time to call.

-Mark

Exile Machine
09-29-2011, 7:52 PM
Just got off the phone w/Carsgunsandchics... With the correct effort applied to just the right part of the drum, it's now a parts kit! (I did need a pair of pliers but no blowtorch.)

Updating the store now to remove the verbiage about not being able to ship this one to CA.
-Mark

someR1
09-29-2011, 8:51 PM
what's the price on that beast?

$P-Ritch$
09-29-2011, 8:54 PM
Would those bulgarian 75rd wind-up Ak drums disassemble the same way? That would be cool to see some of those parts kits in stock as well. I like my SKS to stay original looking.

Exile Machine
09-29-2011, 8:56 PM
what's the price on that beast?

$128.25.
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/mag-sgmt-sks-762x39-75rd-drum-596.html

qaz5109
09-29-2011, 8:56 PM
call Zed

Exile Machine
09-29-2011, 8:57 PM
call Zed

Zed's dead baby.