PDA

View Full Version : DOJ transfer by mail question

skylindrftr
09-29-2011, 4:57 PM
Hey guys, I was about to trade a firearm through an ffl but the buyer is insisting that there is a way to do it "through the mail". Here is the email he sent me, is it legit or fud? I'm leaning towards the latter or that he is talking about abusing the volreg forms:

"Basically you fill out a form and i fill out a form... put the serial numbers and models on it... send in a processing fee to the department of justice and they do the title change of owner and send u ur ownership papers... not waiting period or anything... oh and we both provide eachother a bull of sale..."

Thanks for the help!

Shellshocker66
09-29-2011, 5:10 PM
Sounds very
http://www.clevescene.com/images/blogimages/2011/02/07/1297117167-dead-fish.jpg

Unless your selling a C&R over 50 years old you need to go through an FFL for a PPT.

skylindrftr
09-29-2011, 5:11 PM
That's what I thought, sounded like bs to me...

timdps
09-29-2011, 5:23 PM
Pretty appropriate that you get a "bull of sale..." :D

bwiese
09-29-2011, 5:23 PM
There is NO legal way to do it 'thru the mail' for ordinary transfers - doesn't matter if it's handgun or long gun.

'Voluntary registration' is just that - if you care to register a gun, they'll oblige you. This form does not serve as a transaction completion or substitute for use of an FFL.

[Only intrafamily transfers, operation of law/inheritance, etc. can be done with papers filed after the fact with DOJ.]

I would not be surprised if this were some kind of set-up, but then I often underestimate the number of stupid people out there.

skylindrftr
09-29-2011, 5:24 PM
Thanks bwiese, I will try to convince him to go through an ffl....

itisagoodname
09-29-2011, 5:34 PM
Good luck with the deal. I have a friend that lives on the CA/NV border and last time he was in the area he left me his gun since he never used it.

We tried to do a transfer at an FFL but could not complete it due to the fact that his DL was from NV and not CA. The DOJ site would only accept CA DL #'s.

I would like to Volreg it but don't want to be accused later of an illegal acquisition of a handgun. It's on the roster but was also purchased out of state and never registered to begin with. I'm not going to just throw it out but i'd like to have it legally in my name.

Librarian
09-29-2011, 5:40 PM
Good luck with the deal. I have a friend that lives on the CA/NV border and last time he was in the area he left me his gun since he never used it.

We tried to do a transfer at an FFL but could not complete it due to the fact that his DL was from NV and not CA. The DOJ site would only accept CA DL #'s.

I would like to Volreg it but don't want to be accused later of an illegal acquisition of a handgun. It's on the roster but was also purchased out of state and never registered to begin with. I'm not going to just throw it out but i'd like to have it legally in my name.

That's true if the sale is processed as a PPT - but it works for an interstate transfer, which it is - NV seller to CA buyer. Give that another try.

See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

halifax
09-29-2011, 5:43 PM

The FFL could have accepted the firearm from the NV resident and done a regular transfer to you. Try again or find another FFL. This is pretty straight foward.

itisagoodname
09-29-2011, 5:50 PM
The FFL could have accepted the firearm from the NV resident and done a regular transfer to you. Try again or find another FFL. This is pretty straight foward.

Wow, i thought i read that right. Wonder how the shop missed this. I even asked if there was a method for state to state transfers, they said the DOJ only accepts CA-CA. Guess they were in the wrong section.

Now who knows when he'll be back in town... 'Til then im stuck.