PDA

View Full Version : Biggest round used in a Dillon 550?

ARRRR-15
02-05-2007, 8:59 AM
Whats the biggest rifle round that can be reloaded in the dillion 550? I've searched here and the www, but couldn't find much. I noticed on their site they only offered pistol dies with their presses.

Sheldon
02-05-2007, 9:07 AM
Here's a chart off the Dillon site with the larger rifle calibered conversion kits.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=13&min=3&dyn=1&

This is their chart for the small rifle conversion kits available.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=13&min=1&dyn=1&

Navigating their site is a PAIN in the *SS. It is not a very friendly layout.

50ae
02-05-2007, 9:11 AM
Here's the list from Dillon. They need to clean up their web page as it isn't really intuitive for the 1st time Dillon customer.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=12&min=1&dyn=1&

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=12&min=3&dyn=1&

Sheldon
02-05-2007, 9:17 AM
Yeah you beat me to my re-navigating attempt!!! Funny I have always just stumbled around that site, knowing it must list somewhere what I'm looking for, but just get frustrated to no end. I eventually will find it, but not as easy as I should.

ARRRR-15
02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys. Ok I guess it was on there site and I should have looked harder.:) No 7.62 X 54 R.

thmpr
02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
338 Lapua

SeanO
02-05-2007, 11:21 AM
ARRRR-15,

They do have 7.62x54R listed. It's on the .30 cal conv page. HTH

Respectfully,

Sean

ARRRR-15
02-05-2007, 11:58 AM
ARRRR-15,

They do have 7.62x54R listed. It's on the .30 cal conv page. HTH

Respectfully,

Sean

Ok I found it. Thanks. I'm going for the 550 as soon I get my tax return.:)

Any good online retailers out there that might be cheaper than the Dillon site?

50ae
02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Dillon's get nearly new price when used so I highly doubt it. You might try gunbroker or Ebay on occasion though.

tlillard23
02-05-2007, 1:04 PM
The only inexpensive dillons are found at auctions. (not necessarily ebay)

grammaton76
02-05-2007, 1:30 PM
Any good online retailers out there that might be cheaper than the Dillon site?

Do what I'm doing... buy a used 650 off of Sheldon on here. I'm picking up mine next week - it's a bargain with the electric case feeder and a caliber conversion.

This will bring me up to two 650s... less hassle with caliber conversions.

By the way, if you want to reload 50 beowulf on a Dillon... it's not too hard.

I haven't loaded anything longer than a 223, though.

anyracoon
02-05-2007, 4:31 PM
The only way to get a good deal on Dillon stuff on E-bay is to get lucky when someone sells it with a BuyItNow and does not know what it is really worth. Most of the time you can buy it cheaper new from Bryon Enos.Com. I saw a 1050 that went for $700.00 almost instantly. Just drink the Blue Kool-Aid, you will never go back!

Sheldon
02-05-2007, 10:00 PM
A "deal" can be had, but seldom when you have to have it now. I have gotten some screaming deals but they always pop up out of the blue. I bought my first Dillon 550 press from Dillon direct and everything since then has been used. I have kept what I wanted/needed and either Ebayed the rest or sold locally. The better reloading equipment is always in demand and due to their lifetime warranties usually maintain their values. Hard to beat Dillon on resale value. Look on Ebay and you'll see a constant stream of auctions that sell for close to retail.

TheMan
02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Do what I'm doing... buy a used 650 off of Sheldon on here. I'm picking up mine next week - it's a bargain with the electric case feeder and a caliber conversion.

This will bring me up to two 650s... less hassle with caliber conversions.

By the way, if you want to reload 50 beowulf on a Dillon... it's not too hard.

I haven't loaded anything longer than a 223, though.

I didn't buy a used 650 off of Sheldon, but I still did get a bargain used on my 550. I hadn't considered reloading until my former manager told me he'd sell me his set up. A Dillon 550 with 5 or 6 caliber conversions and dies, for $100. I don't think I've seen any used ones go for that little online.

And reloading .50 beowulf is pretty easy on the dillon. I've done it quite a bit.

I even made a case gauge for checking the sizing on the beowulf brass, if people are interested in one.

C.G.
02-06-2007, 12:06 AM
I
I even made a case gauge for checking the sizing on the beowulf brass, if people are interested in one.

Are you Zapp? If so, I'd like to get one, but I couldn't figure out the online payment, would rather do cash or check or money order

TheMan
02-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Are you Zapp? If so, I'd like to get one, but I couldn't figure out the online payment, would rather do cash or check or money order

Yes, that's me. If you are in the LA area, I'd be happy to sell it to you FTF. I am in Glendora. Or you can do the MO thing.

C.G.
02-06-2007, 7:23 AM
Yes, that's me. If you are in the LA area, I'd be happy to sell it to you FTF. I am in Glendora. Or you can do the MO thing.

Cool, replied you your PM.

grammaton76
02-06-2007, 3:10 PM
And reloading .50 beowulf is pretty easy on the dillon. I've done it quite a bit.

Ooo - I was just thinking that last night, as I had one round that wouldn't chamber. Need to break out the calipers on that. How much do you want for it?

C.G.
02-06-2007, 5:44 PM
Ooo - I was just thinking that last night, as I had one round that wouldn't chamber. Need to break out the calipers on that. How much do you want for it?

Most likely you are undercrimping, ask me how I know.:o But at least we are not the only ones, took other people a few rounds to figure it out as well.

TheMan
02-06-2007, 6:15 PM
Most likely you are undercrimping, ask me how I know.:o But at least we are not the only ones, took other people a few rounds to figure it out as well.

That was the issue I was having. Took a whole bunch of manually chambering each round in the rifle to get that figured out.

C.G.
02-06-2007, 6:26 PM

He spent a lot of time getting this done.,check the first thread:
http://www.50beowulf.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

$30 + $4 for shipping

I am in the process of getting one myself.:)

thmpr
02-06-2007, 9:33 PM
Finally!!!!! I will order one tonight....