PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 795 rebate bummer

San FranPsycho
09-29-2011, 2:39 PM
Very unfortunate experience with Marlin and whoever their rebate center people are.

In April for my 20th birthday I bought a Marlin 795 from Big 5. Very excited about it in addition to the $25 rebate which provided a lot of incentive for me to purchase it over say a Savage or Ruger 10/22. Mailed in the receipt, tags from the box, etc. everything I needed within a few days of purchase (around April 2nd when I took the gun home). Waited about two weeks or so and gave them a call to see if they received my paperwork and receipts. For some reason they seemed to have trouble finding me in the system and said to call back in a few days. Followed their advice.

Called back and they said I was missing something else needed for the rebate - a piece of the box that the gun came in. Mailed this piece in and again began playing the waiting game.

Call back again in mid-May (after calling once again before - don't know why it takes so long to get there and get in their system). They say the rebate has been processed and to expect the check to come within 6 to 8 weeks.

It is now early July and the lease for my house is up August 1st. I call Marlin and whoever the rebate people are they contract out to several times and they assure me the check has been mailed and should be arriving any day. I check my mail every day as I do always and the check is not there. They say its been sent out and seem really hesitant to send me another even though its been sent weeks ago. By the time I move out and am working 40 hours a week and school starts -taking 16 units at my university, the matter sinks to the back of my head for more pressing issues (my fault for not following up).

After starting to get the gun bug again (and starting to beef up my AR fund) Called the number on the rebate form AGAIN a few days ago, just to try and resolve the matter once and for all (now in a steady residence). Lady tells me they are the new company dealing with rebates and, how convenient, Marlin/the old company didn't give them any records of any rebate information prior to their taking over. So they have no record of my name or my gun or anything relating to me and my $25 and the lady is acting like I'm wasting her time trying to figure it out.

I know this is partly my fault for not following up sooner, and my fault for not making copies of the receipts and other paperwork, but come on. I know this probably isn't even Marlins fault but it is kind of a bum deal considering the rebate offer extends to the end of this year...

I know $25 is not a lot of money but it would really have contributed to some .223 rounds or maybe magazine for my future AR :rolleyes:

whipkiller
09-29-2011, 2:51 PM
That's a bummer, I HATE-HATE-HATE mail-in rebates, if you want ot give me a discount give it to me at the register.

I understand why companies use mail-in rebates. It's the same reason stores love selling gift cards, most of them never get used. It's like free money.

I usually try not to take mail-in rebates into the equation when I'm buying something, then (if I remember to send them in) when I finally get the check it's a bonus.

It took a while, but I did finally get the rebate from my 795.

The good news is, the sting of the $25 will go away pretty quickly but you now have a great little .22 that you can enjoy for years.

On another note, I like your avatar pic. Fort Point, yes? Looks like a nice wave, do you surf there?

Domingo
09-29-2011, 2:56 PM
man that bites
I hope it does not happen to me
I just bought one 2 days ago
but now it seems that you can start the
rebate in the internet and they will give you a
tracking # and instructions on the items they need
I'm sending mine today and mine rifle is jail
the $25 back is the same reason I bought it
when I was doing mine in the internet it did have a
choice of when the rifle was purchase
good luck and I hope you get your check

mirage2123
09-29-2011, 4:45 PM
I picked up mine on 8/24 (after 10 day wait), submitted the rebate like the next day or so. I just received my rebate yesterday 9/28, so about a month.

I made sure i photocopied exactly what I sent in, just in case I run into issues like yours. I used the same sticker on the box. There's an extra one on the back of the manual as well. I've had issues with other products and rebates before (non-firearms), so this is the best way to cover yourself. I also utilized their website to track as opposed to calling (never called once). It seems their website had my record. Good luck.

Sac-AR15
09-29-2011, 5:40 PM
damn....that sucks..mailing mine in on Monday and hopefully everything is all good...

TheExpertish
09-29-2011, 5:51 PM
Good to know. Getting ready to send mine in.

aghauler
09-29-2011, 6:25 PM
damn....that sucks..mailing mine in on Monday and hopefully everything is all good...

Keep copies of everything you send them!

SteveSatch
09-29-2011, 6:48 PM
I don't trust mail in rebates for this reason

San FranPsycho
09-29-2011, 9:42 PM
The good news is, the sting of the $25 will go away pretty quickly but you now have a great little .22 that you can enjoy for years.

On another note, I like your avatar pic. Fort Point, yes? Looks like a nice wave, do you surf there?

Yeah, I'm super happy with the .22 and I know even without the rebate it is a steal.

That is Fort Point for sure and I go out there when ocean beach is too big. pretty *****in spot to surf.

Anyway, in the future I guess I know I should make copies of all my gun/gun rebate docs just like I do with everything else. I don't know why Marlin can't handle the rebates themselves and instead contract it out to some other company, and then happen to switch companies mid-year during the rebate period. And then don't back up their records..and the lady had the nerve to tell me I should of made copies of everything. Oh well. Maybe will still try to resolve it somehow. May try the website as mirage2112 said.

On the whole, no regrets about the purchase though. Awesome little gun

jimcat
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
I wish to get the rebate back . If not, Ok. I am happy that Marlin keeps my $20 tips . They made such a nice and inexpensive .22 rifle.