View Full Version : WASR Purchase - Seller In Another State?

09-29-2011, 1:36 PM
Iím looking for an inexpensive AK variant and found a WASR that accepts standard AK mags and I want to purchase it. The total cost would be $372 for the gun, shipping and FFL transfer/DROS. Please let me know if I can acquire one cheaper in LA, OC or IE without building it myself. FYI I am also aware of the Saiga on sale at J&G with the sporter stock . The issue Iím having is that the seller is in a different state. Besides adding a bullet button to the WASR is there a legal way for him to ship the WASR to a local FFL? Can the seller just remove the pistol grip or add a Kydex adaptor to the pistol grip and ship it to a CA FFL? Unless Iím missing something, Iíve seen AK variants at Turners with the pistol grip removed and no bullet button installed (10 round mag). Unlike the Saiga with a CA sporting configuration, where the trigger group is moved to the rear of the receiver, these AK variants at Turners have the trigger group in the same location as a standard AK (just no pistol grip).

The WASR also has a threaded barrel. Would there be any issues with that? I donít plan on adding a flash suppressor so there shouldnít be a problem with that but I just wanted to check.

I reviewed the following and it seems like it would be good to go if the seller removed the pistol grip and shipped to a CA FFL.

CA Penal Code Section 12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

A thumbhole stock.

A folding or telescoping stock.

A grenade launcher or flare launcher.

A flash suppressor.

A forward pistol grip.

Attached are pictures of the WASR that is being offered for sale.



09-29-2011, 1:45 PM
You need to find a FFL that will work with you. All FFL will charge a transfer fee plus tax. If its not CA compliant, some may not deal with you. If your in socal riflegear would be easier to just buy it.italics

09-29-2011, 1:59 PM
Easiest way is to have the seller remove the PG. As stated previously make sure your ffl is willing to accept the rifle. No problem whatsoever with the threaded muzzle on a rifle.

09-29-2011, 2:37 PM
Congratulations. You will not find one cheaper in Ca I paid 425 for mine before dros.

09-29-2011, 5:36 PM
Find a local place and look it over. Do a search for what to look for.

That rifle does look good though.

09-29-2011, 8:46 PM
$372 is a steal. buy it if you want it. I paid $450 for mine plus DROS and transfer.

09-30-2011, 6:11 AM
The hard part is getting the seller to ship it to CA.

09-30-2011, 6:18 AM
Removing the pistol grip is all it takes to make that CA legal. Just make sure that the FFL that will be receiving it is OK with it. Some FFLs wont touch these because they are not fully aware of OLLs and CA legal AKs.

Also make sure the mags are not assembled ifthey are 30 rounders or ship them disassembled to you separately.