PDA

View Full Version : So my friend tells me he lost my pistol

socalocalypse
09-29-2011, 2:08 PM
I did a search and can't find the answer to this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

He says he lost my hp.22. Its not worth much first of all.

How do I declare it lost?

And secondly, I'm afraid hes gonna find it about 5 minutes after I report it lost, and then what? Do I have to dross it again or something? Or would I still be the registered owner so I could pp transfer it at a shop if i wanted to sell it to my jerky friend?

If the unthinkable happened and an officer ran the serial number of the pistol before I had reported it recovered again, am I going to be arrested or something? The last thing I want to risk is legal trouble over a $100 gun.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 2:19 PM
Call the police for the area it went missing and file a missing firearm report. When you find it, call them back and let them know you found it. It is that simple.

Then never loan anything to that friend ever again.

morfeeis
09-29-2011, 2:24 PM
Call the police for the area it went missing and file a missing firearm report. When you find it, call them back and let them know you found it. It is that simple.

+1

and how the hell do you "misplace" a firearm? I can tell you where every last one of mine are, even the ones not in my home right now and they are all under lock and key save one.

wash
09-29-2011, 2:28 PM
Figure out exactly what you are going to do, then tell your friend before you do it. He might "find" it after thinking about it.

bwiese
09-29-2011, 2:31 PM
I'm glad to see good advice come up first and that nobody posted "Don't worry about it."

Let LE know - esp best if in writing - that the incident happened.

Then wash your hand of that 'friend'.

jak77
09-29-2011, 2:32 PM
SSS

Norsemen308
09-29-2011, 2:40 PM
what would you rather have? buddy finds it 5 minutes after paperwork, or the cops arrive on your doorstep and ask you to take a ride downtown to explain how an ex con has your gun?

call NOW, if you dont, you will be sorry if things go south.

edlacy
09-29-2011, 2:41 PM
I'm glad to see good advice come up first and that nobody posted "Don't worry about it."

Let LE know - esp best if in writing - that the incident happened.

Then wash your hand of that 'friend'.

You may also want to reconsider your definition of "Friend" in the future.

paul0660
09-29-2011, 2:46 PM
And if the question of how long he had it comes up, it was not more than thirty days.

notme92069
09-29-2011, 2:50 PM
+1

and how the hell do you "misplace" a firearm? I can tell you where every last one of mine are, even the ones not in my home right now and they are all under lock and key save one.

Seriously! I would personally have a hard time accepting that explanation. And I would also automatically assume whomever has it that shouldn't have firearms. I couldn't get it reported lost quick enough. I would expect a LEO knocking on my door asking why I used my gun to rob/shoot/kill someone.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 3:08 PM
In the OPs defense, I would rather use the HP22 as a fishing weight than a handgun. So it is possible the friend did lose it over the side of his boat.

SocomM4
09-29-2011, 3:12 PM
It's a big decision loaning someone a firearm or not.

Mike's Custom
09-29-2011, 3:13 PM
Why would you lend someone, anyone, a hand gun or any firearms if you were not standing right there? Doing so is just asking for trouble as you now know.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 3:14 PM
Why would you lend someone, anyone, a hand gun or any firearms if you were not standing right there? Doing so is just asking for trouble as you now know.

Because it is a HP22. The friend replacing that handgun with any other handgun is a win for the OP. If anything the OP probably baited the friend into losing it. He planned the whole thing.

Cali-Shooter
09-29-2011, 3:15 PM
Sounds like an awful friend. I wouldn't have him even so much as touch another firearm of mine if he did that to me.

Mr. Casull
09-29-2011, 3:16 PM
I think number 1 he should pay you for its value plus DROS fees so you can buy another if you so desire. And I agree don't loan him anything!

wash
09-29-2011, 3:20 PM
I would loan a gun to a friend I trust.

Then again, they wouldn't lose it.

I don't trust idiots.

bsg
09-29-2011, 3:40 PM

+1; great advise.

Socalocalypse... how in the world did this person lose your gun?

RedFord150
09-29-2011, 4:26 PM
Because it is a HP22. The friend replacing that handgun with any other handgun is a win for the OP...

It is the liability that matters, not the value. A borrowed $35 Jennings could be used in a domestic and the owner gets charged with a crime.

Dutch3
09-29-2011, 4:33 PM
Report it missing immediately if not sooner.

Doing so will not guarantee you won't be the victim of a 3AM search warrant and confiscation of all of your firearms and computers (it happened to a friend of mine), but it may help if your firearm ends up in the wrong hands.

21SF
09-29-2011, 4:36 PM
Because it is a HP22. The friend replacing that handgun with any other handgun is a win for the OP. If anything the OP probably baited the friend into losing it. He planned the whole thing.

LMAO!!!!!!

paul0660
09-29-2011, 4:44 PM
A borrowed $35 Jennings could be used in a domestic and the owner gets charged with a crime.

What crime? If a kid gets ahold of your easily accessable, easily loaded gun in your house, you have a problem. Otherwise, it won't be fun, but it isn't a crime...........unless it was loaned for more than thirty days.

Fjold
09-29-2011, 4:51 PM
I hope that your friend has an HSC.

Zartan
09-29-2011, 5:05 PM
CSB :D

kurac
09-29-2011, 7:09 PM
I would probably try to get the friend to pin a more precise explanation and then either report it lost or stolen. The friend should also have to pony up for what it was worth.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 11:58 PM
I would probably try to get the friend to pin a more precise explanation and then either report it lost or stolen. The friend should also have to pony up for what it was worth.If he sells his $50 Tahoe Joes gift certificate for half price, that should cover a brick of .22 LR and the HP22.

socalocalypse
09-30-2011, 1:12 AM
LOL wow no love for the hp22! It *is* heavy enough to be a boat anchor, and yes almost any gun would be an improvement.

I didn't ask a lot of questions beyond 'you LOST it?' Because it would just escalate the situation. I will just get upset at any explanation so better I don't hear any story. His girlfriend wanted to try it, so I let him borrow it.

He's got a pistol permit and it wasnt over a month.

Most likely it'll turn up in his garage 5 minutes after I report it missing. I'm just trying to gauge what the least headache thing to do is.

Thanks for the help gentlemen!

mossy
09-30-2011, 1:21 AM
as a ocd freak about my guns i can tell you where every gun i own is, how many mags are with it, and if any of the mags are loaded. i find it very hard to believe someone could just misplace something as important as a gun. do you think he could have fallen in love with it and just told you he lost it?

RedFord150
09-30-2011, 1:14 PM
What crime?...unless it was loaned for more than thirty days.

What if your friend is a prohibited person?

What if your friend does not have the HSC?

What if the DA/PD believes you loaned the gun over 30 days ago?

What if they just get creative and call you an 'accessory' if something really bad happens?

I believe if you 'loan' someone a gun and that person commits any crime with that gun, they will find a charge to file against you. The worse the crime, the harder they will try.

One78Shovel
09-30-2011, 1:35 PM
I did a search and can't find the answer to this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

He says he lost my hp.22. Its not worth much first of all.

How do I declare it lost?

And secondly, I'm afraid hes gonna find it about 5 minutes after I report it lost, and then what? Do I have to dross it again or something? Or would I still be the registered owner so I could pp transfer it at a shop if i wanted to sell it to my jerky friend?

If the unthinkable happened and an officer ran the serial number of the pistol before I had reported it recovered again, am I going to be arrested or something? The last thing I want to risk is legal trouble over a $100 gun.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Your friend is a loser.:7:

-178S

Scout2Diesel
09-30-2011, 3:11 PM
I'd want to discern if it were lost or stolen.... talk to the GF too. Maybe he ran some HV loads and cracked the frame. This is serious... you are calling the police.

The Virus
09-30-2011, 6:24 PM
Tell the "friend" you have to notify the authorities and you will have to provide them with all of his information. IF he doesn't "find" it in the next 2 hrs.

Bobby Ricigliano
10-01-2011, 2:42 AM
Yes you want to document the loss immediately to protect yourself.

roushstage2
10-01-2011, 3:27 AM
I'm just trying to gauge what the least headache thing to do is.
Making a phone call (it's a phone call; you don't even have to leave your couch to do it) to let police know it is missing is the correct answer, simply put. :)

Mighty J ho
10-01-2011, 3:32 AM
How does someone lose something such as a firearm??

MAC USMC
10-01-2011, 7:38 AM
HOW TO KICK START YOUR FRIEND

Meet with your "friend" and inform him that based on LEGAL ADVICE you intend to fill an official LOST OR STOLEN FIREARMS REPORT naming him as the last person in possession of the handgun. Explain that this will result in a complete law enforcement background check and review being done on him. Tell him this will have the effect of placing any and all liability on him and direct any criminal investigation toward him personally.

Methinks your so-called friend will become very motivated to either find the gun or get it back from whomever has it now. In any regard you will have taken action and can detail that fact to any LEO who contacts you.

cmichini
10-01-2011, 1:38 PM
I hope that your friend has an HSC.

This, because if not, isn't that a crime in itself?

I'd be calling that in stolen so fast, it would burn the phone. I'd tell the friend AFTER I reported it stolen. Because if you tell before hand and it suddenly shows up, guess what? He wanted to steal it and is now backing off when he knows the LEO's have it on the radar.

I don't lend guns to anyone. If we're at the range and they want to pop off a few rounds, I'm all for sharing the fun. But the way guns are treated these days, giving a gun to anyone and letting them possess it outside your control is playing russian roulette.

Plus, you have to assume 99.99% of the people you meet in the world are either dumb, irresponsible or dishonest (or a combination), so you need to act accordingly.

strakill
10-01-2011, 5:42 PM
Your friend is at best irresponsible and you should have know that. You NEED to call your local LEO and report it missing and tell them the truth, end of story. A person doesn't misplace a gun like keys get misplaced, and if they do you should have know prior so this is your fault 100% IMHO, God only knows what he did with the gun and at this point...2 days later with no gun in hand or Police report I happen to think two things. 1. Your not telling the truth. 2. Your taking the situation lightely (being highly irresponsible) because you don't think a missing gun is a big deal. So wich is it? Or have you done something about it and have not reported back here to tell us........wich I hope is the situation.

rabagley
10-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I'll loan you my gun. At the range or on a hunt. And I'll see it back into my gun safe at the end of the range trip/hunt.

But letting someone borrow a gun for long enough that they might lose it? Not while the sun is shining over this green and blue earth.

I hope the OP calls the cops immediately and learns a valuable lesson about how to treat critically important personal property.

Reductio
10-01-2011, 11:22 PM
You're not near Burro, are you? :p

http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_19020463

mlevans66
10-01-2011, 11:52 PM
How does someone loose a gun? It's not like it's a set of keys are something. Report to the police about the lost firearm and fire you friend for failing at life.

Hopalong
10-02-2011, 7:30 AM
Sounds fishy to me.

Responsible people don't lose guns.

If this guy is in fact an irresponsible flake

Then it's your fault for lending him the gun

I'd bet there is more to the story than you know.

In any event, I'd report it to the authorities

To release my name from any liability

killathrilla
10-02-2011, 7:59 AM
This is why I would NEVER let ANYONE borrow a firearm! I don't care if it's a family member or a brotha from anotha motha...they can use it when I'm there and that is it. Really...let's look at it from another angle....how do you REALLY know if he / she is not a prohibited person? To big of a risk in my opinion.

bruss01
10-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Ask if he checked the sofa cushions... LOL.

I'd be worried about a couple of things. He might have sold it and pocketed the cash. It might have been stolen from him (and has reason to want to protect the theif) such as it was a girlfriend or family member he suspects. He might have done something EPICLY STUPID like go to the range, put the pistol case on the roof of the car, pack up other things, forget the pistol case on the roof of the car, not think about it again until he gets home, *facepalm* retrace route, no gun... :facepalm:

I agree about never loaning this individual anything else, ever again. At least, not anything you care about ever seeing again. And you do need to report it lost, in case the freeway scenario above is what happened and it falls into criminal hands, racks up a body or two, and then gets traced back to you. It'll sound pretty lame at that point to *suddenly remember* oh yeah that got lost 2 years ago and I never reported it... :facepalm: That won't sound very convincing.

tokarev_tt
10-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Wow,what a good "friend" you have there...........

weinerd
10-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Before you report it to the police, make sure your friend was able to possess the firearm legally, otherwise you could be in some serious trouble...

My rule of thumb- never loan anything you want back to anyone.

strakill
10-02-2011, 9:05 PM
Still no report from the OP....Im gonna be the as# here and call "foul smell" on this thread. I do not trust any gun owner who just lets their guns go out of their sight to someone who would "lose" it, Not a gun owner I would stand by and it makes every gun owner look like children with water guns....just what the anti's want so I'm calling fake here.

Rhythm of Life
10-02-2011, 9:20 PM

My old neighbor and I ran into some trouble.

He has a wife and a 6 month old daughter. I told him if he wanted my shotgun or handgun he just had to ask.

Thats why I would give a firearm to someone while no standing there.

When you have 8-10 MS_13 gang-members outside your apartment would you want to borrow your buddies guns if you had none?

bruss01
10-02-2011, 9:58 PM
My old neighbor and I ran into some trouble.

He has a wife and a 6 month old daughter. I told him if he wanted my shotgun or handgun he just had to ask.

Thats why I would give a firearm to someone while no standing there.

When you have 8-10 MS_13 gang-members outside your apartment would you want to borrow your buddies guns if you had none?

I totally agree with you - he could borrow it for 10 days. Anyone who knows MS13 is out to get him, his wife and daughter and doesn't become a gun owner (in his own right) is an idiot or a prohibited person. Neither of which I want in possession of one of my guns.

10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
You may also want to reconsider your definition of "Friend" in the future.

+1, how the hell does someone misplace a gun? thats like parking your car and forgeting were you left it! WTF?! Seriously you sure he's not just pulling you leg?
I say retrace your friends steps and see what happend..may turn up. Good luck.