PDA

View Full Version : CHP officer involved in shooting

RP1911
09-29-2011, 1:41 PM
KCRA3.com reports mwag shooting involving a CHP officer.

Man was walking with a gun @ 23rd and Del Norte Blvd.

Shot twice in chest. Still alive according to report.

On cell phone, otherwise I would provide link.

Hope it is not a case of UOC going bad.

Us3rName
09-29-2011, 1:44 PM
here you go http://www.kcra.com/news/29341149/detail.html

spotted by a CHP officer who was on routine patrol. The officer directed the man stop walking after noticing a gun, deputies said. When the man carrying the gun turned around, deputies said that the CHP officer shot him twice in the chest.

something's missing here....

RP1911
09-29-2011, 1:45 PM
Thank you.

Wildeman_13
09-29-2011, 1:50 PM
spotted by a CHP officer who was on routine patrol. The officer directed the man stop walking after noticing a gun, deputies said. When the man carrying the gun turned around, deputies said that the CHP officer shot him twice in the chest.
The biggest thing missing is how the man was actually "carrying" the gun. Does it disturb anyone else as much as me that this went to "press" in such an ambiguous way?

NytWolf
09-29-2011, 2:16 PM
The biggest thing missing is how the man was actually "carrying" the gun. Does it disturb anyone else as much as me that this went to "press" in such an ambiguous way?

The media will report ANYTHING just to be sure they are the FIRST to report something.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 2:18 PM
The media will report ANYTHING just to be sure they are the FIRST to report something.

That is the absolute truth.

This could get interesting.

santamonica9
09-29-2011, 2:21 PM

AND they get to bash anyone who has a gun -> darn evil killing things!!

forget about how many times guns have saved/defended lives

Us3rName
09-29-2011, 2:23 PM
I seriously hope its not a legal LTC or OC and the officer just went trigger happy...

Nick2
09-29-2011, 2:25 PM
The video contains more info

www.kcra.com/video/29342473/detail.html

Librarian
09-29-2011, 2:25 PM
So, let's hold off for a couple of hours until some details get released, 'K?

Video says pedestrian had handgun in his hand; officer commanded he put it down, but pedestrian did not; ped turned toward officer, still holding handgun; CHP officer shot.

AAShooter
09-29-2011, 2:28 PM
Assuming it is a clean shoot, I hope the officer fire two shots and got to COM hits. Much better than 57 shots fires and suspect was hit three times is the leg, knee and foot.

Wildeman_13
09-29-2011, 2:30 PM
The video contains more info

www.kcra.com/video/29342473/detail.html

So at least we know according to the spokesman that the guy who got shot was carrying the gun in his hand and not holstered.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 2:31 PM
So at least we know according to the spokesman that the guy who got shot was carrying the gun in his hand and not holstered.

Just to confirm, open carrying must be done from a holster correct?

GMG
09-29-2011, 2:32 PM

The link said he had the gun in his hand, and was ordered to drop it.

Coded-Dude
09-29-2011, 2:34 PM
video says officer fired several shots, and suspect was only hit twice. I wonder how many shots he did actually fire.

RP1911
09-29-2011, 2:34 PM
Sacbee also has an article. Talks about pursuit.

Canucky
09-29-2011, 2:39 PM
One question? Why is a CHP involved and not a Sac Sherrif?

joefreas
09-29-2011, 2:40 PM
http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archives/2011/09/officer-involved-shooting-reported-in-south-area.html

Us3rName
09-29-2011, 2:42 PM

patrol?

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 2:43 PM

Really? CHP is a state law enforcement agency. They patrol everywhere. So when a CHP on routine patrol sees a man with a gun, they aren't going to call for the sheriff and watch. They are LEO too.

I had a CHP bicycle officer stop me and my buddy in downtown Sac for jaywalking once. Thankfully she didn't ask if I was armed and just told us to wait for the light.

meaty-btz
09-29-2011, 2:44 PM
If the sacbee article is accurate, looks like a good shoot.

joefreas
09-29-2011, 2:46 PM
If the sacbee article is accurate, looks like a good shoot.

I thought the same thing. Maybe suicide by cop?

Canucky
09-29-2011, 2:49 PM
Wes thanks i understand them acting and not waiting. Didn't realize they patrolled in the city aswell as HIGH PATROL.

paul0660
09-29-2011, 2:50 PM
I thought the same thing. Maybe suicide by cop?

Or really high, or both.

Here's hoping he wasn't just about to turn his life around.

Canucky
09-29-2011, 2:57 PM
patrol?

I'll ask my retired police friends next time I see them. Sac County Sheriffs. Never seem them patrol where I live. Always Roseville PD. Guess I don't live in a bad enough hood.

Wildeman_13
09-29-2011, 3:02 PM
Unloaded in the Holster, I'm pretty sure.

The link said he had the gun in his hand, and was ordered to drop it.
Second post is the article that does not state how the man was carrying the gun. Later posts presented the reports of how he was carrying it.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 3:06 PM
I'll ask my retired police friends next time I see them. Sac County Sheriffs. Never seem them patrol where I live. Always Roseville PD. Guess I don't live in a bad enough hood.

Yeah, the Highway Patrol patrols everywhere. I guess you learn something new all the time. I forget not everyone knows this.

MP301
09-29-2011, 3:07 PM
Its CHP who has the actual responsibility to enforce traffic on the freewayhs as well as unincorporated county highways and roads. Its in thier charter.

Even still, they pass through city areas all the time coming and going and have full authority as peace officers in any area of the entire state if they see something or respond as back up to an agency.

However, if they run across a crime in a city or county area that is not directly related to thier purvue (DUI's, traffic, etc.), they will pass it off to the appropriate agency as soon as they are able...but they will legally deal with it initially.

Coded-Dude
09-29-2011, 3:18 PM
I see CHiPs in Roseville from time to time, but its mostly at the cirby riverside exit and they are getting off to get back on(going the other way). See them a lot more in Citrus Heights.

negolien
09-29-2011, 3:19 PM
Sucks to be the cop hope things work out. Sucks to be the dead guy guess he either wanted it or deserved it for being stupid /shrug.

Canucky
09-29-2011, 3:25 PM
Coded same here. Also Douglas and I 80. Away thanks for the responses, Thread jack over:oops:

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 3:28 PM
Sucks to be the cop hope things work out. Sucks to be the dead guy guess he either wanted it or deserved it for being stupid /shrug.

He's not dead.

Librarian
09-29-2011, 3:35 PM

That's the easy and usually most convenient way; 'in a holster on the belt' is called out in PC as an example of 'not concealed'.

But a holster is not required; plainly visible on the seat of one's car is also 'not concealed', and that would be a method of 'open carry'.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2011, 3:37 PM
That's the easy and usually most convenient way; 'in a holster on the belt' is called out in PC as an example of 'not concealed'.

But a holster is not required; plainly visible on the seat of one's car is also 'not concealed', and that would be a method of 'open carry'.

So does that include carrying it around in your hand down the street?

socalblue
09-29-2011, 3:46 PM

Exactly. My understanding of case law is that the firearm must not be fully or 'mostly' concealed & it must be recognizable as a firearm.

My recollection of the "mostly concealed" comes from the firearm having to be recognizable (IE: not in a case that conceals everything except a small cutout around say the trigger) or it's almost totally concealed (IE: a little tiny bit of the firearm shows).

In the end if you try to hide it & do not have an LTC it's a problem waiting to happen.

Librarian
09-29-2011, 3:49 PM

It could. It's not a manner I would recommend unless it were in immediate use for some lawful purpose. Very likely to produce MWAG calls.

RP1911
09-29-2011, 4:11 PM
In the hand, could be comstrued as brandishing? Notice every UOC video I have seen, none of the UOCers will touch a handgun after a 12031 (e) check and ask the officer to reholster the handgun for them.

Am I missing something?

RP1911
09-29-2011, 4:12 PM
Sorry for typos. Cell phone and fat fingers don't do well together.

ETA: now fixed in previous post.

paul0660
09-29-2011, 4:21 PM

It would. A sensible person would weigh this type of carry and accede to LEO demands. But not everyone can afford a holster, after all, and the sun might have been in his eyes, and maybe his buddies routinely goofed him by saying "CHP, drop the weapon".

The patrolman thought he was going to get shot, and shot first. Now we get to follow the money, and that will have a lot to do with whether the gun was loaded.

IrishJoe3
09-29-2011, 4:44 PM
Wes thanks i understand them acting and not waiting. Didn't realize they patrolled in the city aswell as HIGH PATROL.

Well when you understand that HIGHWAY is any publicly maintained road, it makes more sense :cool:

Shadowdrop
09-29-2011, 9:21 PM
and that will have a lot to do with whether the gun was loaded.

Not really. Police officers don't have x-ray vision. If someone has a weapon in their hand, disobey a lawful order to drop it, and make a sudden movement that leads the officer to believe they are being aggressive...it is a good shoot. It wouldn't really matter if it's unloaded firearm, an airsoft pistol, or a gun-shaped lighter.

SickofSoCal
09-29-2011, 9:39 PM
So, let's hold off for a couple of hours until some details get released, 'K?

Video says pedestrian had handgun in his hand; officer commanded he put it down, but pedestrian did not; ped turned toward officer, still holding handgun; CHP officer shot.

Can we trust that tho?

Is this going to be like the deaf native american "knife guy" who got a few nanoseconds before he was gunned down from behind by 4 shots?

Or how about that Long Beach shooting and all the misinfo from police in that case?

They always seem to say incredibly inflammatory statements to the press justifying their actions. Then, later it comes out that they lied.....big time. But, they still win, becuase by that time of the press coverage and hubbub has died down. We have seen this happen again, and again, and again, and again over the past decade in America.

We just don't know anything right now. The police are not a good source to be trusting.

Ubermcoupe
09-29-2011, 9:55 PM
I am assuming the guy carrying the gun was not in the correct mental state (whether that be drugs/anger/stupidity). :shrug:

Librarian
09-29-2011, 9:56 PM
Can we trust that tho?

Is this going to be like the deaf native american "knife guy" who got a few nanoseconds before he was gunned down from behind by 4 shots?

Or how about that Long Beach shooting and all the misinfo from police in that case?

They always seem to say incredibly inflammatory statements to the press justifying their actions. Then, later it comes out that they lied.....big time. But, they still win, becuase by that time of the press coverage and hubbub has died down. We have seen this happen again, and again, and again, and again over the past decade in America.

We just don't know anything right now. The police are not a good source to be trusting.

I think the answer is 'yes, usually we can trust that'. And I disagree that anything I have seen reported from news or police could be called 'inflammatory'; perhaps you were looking for a different adjective.

That does not refute the possibility of problems; on the first day of investigation, little can be said to be definite.

But I agree; before we go strongly in either direction, it seems appropriate to wait for some investigation to complete.

Dave A
09-29-2011, 10:12 PM
From an early post,

"Sac County Sheriffs. Never seem them patrol where I live. Always Roseville PD. "

If you see Roseville PD then you must live in the city of Roseville and you should never see Sac County Sheriffs, because you are in Placer County not Sac.

ETD1010
09-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I know from CHP officers I'm friends with, they actually had a joint task force in Oxnard near here for gang enforcement since the local PD was spread thin.

ankyle62
09-30-2011, 9:52 AM
And the open carry crowd wonders why people get all uppity when they see them with guns.

Flintlock Tom
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
And the open carry crowd wonders why people get all uppity when they see them with guns.

-10 :facepalm:
This has nothing to do with "the open carry crowd."

I'll assume you're simply speaking from ignorance and not being intentionally inflammatory.

ankyle62
09-30-2011, 11:01 AM
-10 :facepalm:
This has nothing to do with "the open carry crowd."

I'll assume you're simply speaking from ignorance and not being intentionally inflammatory.

It is implied that when officers get a call with someone with a gun, you should understand why they would approach with caution instead of thinking only about your own situation.