PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Made AK Furniture Illegal in CA?

Johnny5.56
09-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Since I don't live in CA, I'm not too familiar with the state's rules regarding long arms. I was contacted by a gentleman who lives in California and said that he was informed that owning non-US made (former Combloc) wood furniture is illegal in CA? That can't be right, or is it?

Thanks.

bohoki
09-29-2011, 10:11 AM
what a kook section 922r applies to all

djleisure
09-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Since I don't live in CA, I'm not too familiar with the state's rules regarding long arms. I was contacted by a gentleman who lives in California and said that he was informed that owning non-US made (former Combloc) wood furniture is illegal in CA? That can't be right, or is it?

Thanks.
Wow. No. That is not right at all.

The only possible thing I can think he might be confused with, is the fact that if you use non-US made furniture on a Saiga conversion, then it won't count as 922r parts (which is actually federal)... but that's a HELL of a stretch...

NorCalK9.com
09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
I dont run no us furniture on my ak's rite now.
Tapco trigger group =3
Muzzle brake=1
Home built reciever=1
Mag with us part= 1-3

Johnny5.56
09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Ok, that's what I thought. He's probably thinking about 922r and missunderstanding it. That sounded a bit extreme, even for CA regulations. Thanks guys! :)

RustyMacHine
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Ok, that's what I thought. He's probably thinking about 922r and missunderstanding it. That sounded a bit extreme, even for CA regulations. Thanks guys! :)

I'm sure this is related to what you're offering (wood refinishing) and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Since you're just refinishing wood.

bwiese
09-29-2011, 11:22 AM
CA does not regulate 'foreignness' of gun parts.

The Feds do have 18 USC 922(r)/ 27 CFR 478.39 that regulates domestic parts contents on certain rifles that would otherwise be considered 'nonsporting'. Bottom line: such guns need 10 or less 'key foreign parts' to be considered legal.

[The only remotely crazy thing I could think of is if CA bans trade in some sort of ultra-rare endangered species woods. I don't think that remotely covers any bulk-production gunstock woods for AKs.]

Johnny5.56
09-29-2011, 11:34 AM
CA does not regulate 'foreignness' of gun parts.

The Feds do have 18 USC 922(r)/ 27 CFR 478.39 that regulates domestic parts contents on certain rifles that would otherwise be considered 'nonsporting'. Bottom line: such guns need 10 or less 'key foreign parts' to be considered legal.

[The only remotely crazy thing I could think of is if CA bans trade in some sort of ultra-rare endangered species woods. I don't think that remotely covers any bulk-production gunstock woods for AKs.]

Thanks guys. He has been collecting AKS-74U "Krink" handguards and wanted to sell me some, as he's under the impression that he has to get rid of them ASAP. I live in NC, so that would alleviate the issue for him.

Shady
09-29-2011, 11:49 AM
jsut fyi , krink handguards will only fit on krinks

djleisure
09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys. He has been collecting AKS-74U "Krink" handguards and wanted to sell me some, as he's under the impression that he has to get rid of them ASAP. I live in NC, so that would alleviate the issue for him.
So the guy has been collecting what he thinks is illegal AK furniture in CA and now he wants to sell them to you? Sounds like an upstanding citizen. I'd take delivery of the parts before paying him anything. ;)

Johnny5.56
09-29-2011, 12:59 PM
So the guy has been collecting what he thinks is illegal AK furniture in CA and now he wants to sell them to you? Sounds like an upstanding citizen. I'd take delivery of the parts before paying him anything. ;)

My thoughts exactly. He said that he recently found out that they are illegal. So, I offered him a trade (my Ironwood Krink HG's for his Combloc ones). I'm waiting to see what he says.

chead
09-29-2011, 1:21 PM
That sounded a bit extreme, even for CA regulations. Thanks guys! :)

Well to be fair, the KAC RIS (http://www.knightarmco.com/mod_weapons_1.htm) is a named assault weapon ;)