PDA

View Full Version : SA 1911 9mm Loaded Help

echang86
09-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Anyone got any tips on improving the cycling of the gun? The slide has always felt very sluggish to me. I've already changed out the recoil spring to a wolff 9#, and the main spring to wolff 17#. It dramatically improved the problem, but the gun is still not running like I want it to. I don't reload, so higher powered loads are not an option.

Dark Mod
09-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Lighter springs are just about the only option, maybe see if you can buy some hotter loads... This might be a great time to get started reloading, you can get everything you need for under $200

InGrAM
09-28-2011, 11:26 PM
I usually shoot the cheapest of cheap 115g silver bear or tulammo in my 9mm 1911. It is hotter than cheap american ammo. I would try hotter ammo like markdoddridge said.

PRCABR4Christ
09-28-2011, 11:43 PM
is it broke in yet? How many rounds through it?

CC Gunsmithing
09-28-2011, 11:49 PM
^^ yeah, give it a good thousand rounds and see how it feels...

GWbiker
09-29-2011, 12:01 AM
A light coating of synthetic grease on frame/barrel/slide contact areas. (Slide Glide or TW25b works well)

Use stock recoil spring for now.

echang86
09-29-2011, 12:18 AM
is it broke in yet? How many rounds through it?

I've got a little under 1k of 115gr and 124gr Federal AE and CCI Blazer.

A light coating of synthetic grease on frame/barrel/slide contact areas. (Slide Glide or TW25b works well)

Use stock recoil spring for now.

I'll hit up the local gunstore for some grease tomorrow. How will the stock recoil help improve the cycling?

PRCABR4Christ
09-29-2011, 12:35 AM
it will get smoother the more rounds you get through it, I consider a 1911 thoroughly broken in around 5k...your gun should be smoother than when you first got it...unless you start having failures to feed, leave the recoil spring alone...I would also suggest you leave the mainspring alone unless you want to decrease your lock time, my experience tells me that most shooters can't tell the difference in a decreased lock time

Also, any lube/grease will work (grease, hoppes oil, yak fat, rem oil, whatever), just run your gun wet when you're shooting, I always carry lube when I'm shooting, I run my 1911's really wet...make sure to lube the inside of your bushing, your barrel lugs and hood, and slide/frame rails

PRCABR4Christ
09-29-2011, 12:37 AM
I'll hit up the local gunstore for some grease tomorrow. How will the stock recoil help improve the cycling?

are your new spring and old spring the same weight? If they are, check the length on both, if the old one isn't more than about 3/8" shorter, it's good to go (just as long as you don't have failure to return to battery issues, but if you do, we can work on those too)

Mute
09-29-2011, 6:53 AM
Don't use grease. Use oil or some kind of synthetic lube.

whipkiller
09-29-2011, 8:56 AM
Lighter springs are just about the only option, maybe see if you can buy some hotter loads... This might be a great time to get started reloading, you can get everything you need for under $200

Sorry for the hijack, but can you elaborate on that statement? I was under the impression that there was more of an initial investment than that.

PM is fine, so we don't muck up this thread. (Although I am a little jealous of OP since I don't have the 9mm Loaded 1911 yet & I really want one.)

PRCABR4Christ
09-29-2011, 9:47 AM

grease is just fine, the key is to use something...it's better than nothing ;)

himurax13
09-29-2011, 10:15 AM

I quite using synthetic oil or regular oil on my 1911's because they fling off too easy. Here are a few things I did to make the gun cycle more smoothly.

1. Detail strip the gun, add mothers polish to the rails and cycle the slide on the frame a few hundred time, clean, and repeat.
2. I installed an EGW FLGR with a 12 pound progressive Wolf Spring,
3. I use medium or heavy slide glide after I am done cleaning on the rails and basically any other moving part.

I can shoot loads with a power factor of 100 to 150 without changing anything. :cool:

goldengate
09-29-2011, 1:36 PM
I use grease on my Loaded slide area. I used Rem oil and Hoppe oil before, but they dry up too fast. Start using Hoppe Grease. $3-4 at Big5. They last longer than oil. Still on the slide rail after a day at the range.