PDA

View Full Version : Public source of municipal water that doesn't sit in bad pipes?

cineski
09-28-2011, 7:43 PM
Just like the title says: Where's a good source for municipal water outside your home/apartment? My place has crappy pipes that (I'm assuming) are the responsibility for the odd taste and rustiness in my water. I'd like to fill up my soon to arrive 8 gallon water tank for shtf and would like to fill it up from a source that isn't tainted by metals. Any ideas? I guess I could use distilled water and add chlorine to it for longevity?

cranemech
09-28-2011, 8:47 PM
What about the water dispensers in many supermarkets? I've never used them but they seem to be in most of the major supermarkets. .25-.35 a gallon IIRC

ETA: what is the possibility of adding an inline filter under the sink for your drinking/cooking water use

TrailerparkTrash
09-28-2011, 9:54 PM
If you're really worried about the tap water (afterall, it would be purely for "emergencies"), then go buy cases of water at the market.

Otherwise, just use your tap water. Go to Walmart and buy a carbon charcoal filter you just screw to your faucet. It's in the RV aisle and sells for about $19.00. It's used to filter out junk before you fill up the tanks in your RV/motorhome. IT lists that is pretty much filters out lead, cadmium, copper, asbestos, some chromes, sediment, calcium etc.....

It's not 100% pure, but darn close and it will sure do the trick for an emergency. You just screw it up to your outside faucet, then screw your garden hose to the other end. If you really want cleaner water for drinking, you should get an RV "Green line" hose. It's made from a plastic material that is safe for drinking, unlike traditional garden hoses.

cineski
09-29-2011, 6:34 AM
I thought about that but wouldn't that also get rid of most of the treatment done to it which would cut down on longevity? Or is treating just the chlorine they add?

What about the water dispensers in many supermarkets? I've never used them but they seem to be in most of the major supermarkets. .25-.35 a gallon IIRC

ETA: what is the possibility of adding an inline filter under the sink for your drinking/cooking water use

Ripon83
09-29-2011, 8:56 AM
Brita cheap filters are on sale every where. 60 gallons of filtered water is about $4 or $5 a filter.

dirtyJ
09-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Don't use distilled water. It's got nothing at all in it, and can be harmful in larger quantities because of it's zero everything.

Decoligny
09-29-2011, 2:13 PM
The water in your pipes is treated at the water treatment facility in order to kill off anything that is alive in the water. It is also filtered to remove any particulates. Any metal that gets into the water is most likely going to be iron from the pipes. A little iron in the water is actually good for you.

"Adding" chorine for longevity will not work. Chlorine has a limited useful life when added to water. It kills whatever is living in the water, and then evaporates. You could kill off all the bacteria in the water with Chlorine and let the water set for a couple of months, and more bacteria will find its way into the water and grow. Chlorine should be used in the proper amounts just shortly before use, it has to sit for a while to work though. 8 drops per gallon and let sit for 30 minutes and it is good to drink.

ireload
09-30-2011, 1:36 PM
I have the RV water filter cartridges that TT already mentioned. But I do have a 2-stage water filter in my kitchen I use to fill my emergency water container.

odysseus
09-30-2011, 1:57 PM
This is simple. Buy an inline certified filtration device (should have activated charcoal as part of its construction) for drinking and continue using your muni water for your life.

Yes it will eliminate chlorine, but the chlorine in your water is not strong enough anyway to just pour into a container (which is usually a non sterilized process on a couple of levels anyway) and store it for long periods of time. It wasn't meant for that. You need to treat your tap water anyway for storing in proper containers for extended periods anyway.