PDA

View Full Version : Operation MAIG Needs Volunteers -- help us defeat MAIG!

oldrifle
09-28-2011, 5:49 PM
I've been tasked with organizing the project to contact mayors listed on the MAIG (Mayors Against Illegal Guns (http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org)) website as members to inform them that they are listed there and to hopefully get many of them to rescind or deny their membership in order to force MAIG to remove them. This idea came to us after the city council meeting last night in Sunnyvale when it turned out both the mayor and ex-mayor were listed erroneously as members. It turns out many mayors are listed without their knowledge or consent. Many, if not most, would oppose what MAIG exists to do which is essentially to ban guns. They used deceptive tactics to get mayors to consent to membership, so many were misled if they even consented at all.

So far we have a spreadsheet on Google Docs with all of the mayors listed as members and are searching for and adding their email addresses. It's pretty easy to find them because we also have the webpage URLs for most of the mayors and their email addresses are often right on their webpage. You just copy and paste the email address into the Google Doc.

There are over 600 "members" so this is going to have to be a big group effort. We already have several volunteers. If you'd like to help out, please PM me and I will send you a link to the Google Doc with instructions on how to get started.

Thanks!

ETA: Please don't contact the mayors about MAIG on your own. We want to send a cohesive and targeted message that's been approved by CGF. Please help gather email addresses and then we'll craft our communications to the mayors.

Ubermcoupe
09-28-2011, 5:57 PM
Great Idea! I assume some letter writing is in order. :)

oldrifle
09-28-2011, 7:57 PM
Great Idea! I assume some letter writing is in order. :)

Yes, emails and phone calls.

Thanks for volunteering to help. We still need more helpers though!

jaymz
09-28-2011, 8:05 PM
PM sent.

Cali-Shooter
09-28-2011, 8:20 PM
Bump for volunteers. I'll pm you if I have the free time to help.

notme92069
09-28-2011, 8:29 PM
PM sent

huntercf
09-28-2011, 8:43 PM
Holy Cow, I saw the mayor of the town I went to school in (my hometown doesn't have a mayor because it only has 67 residents), I have to say I was in shock so I sent him an email. This truly surprises me because I grew up on a farm and hunting was (and still is) a big part of the culture and history of the area. I sure hope his membership is a mistake.

oni.dori
09-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Would it also possibly help to send a brief description or info packet (electronically or otherwise) to explain exactly what they stand for/do, or could that potentially backfire on us?

mag360
09-29-2011, 12:51 AM
@oni.dori that is exactly the plan. Don't contact the mayors yet. Just compile email addresses. Then once an appropriate "form letter" has been vetted the volunteers will email the mayors. Oldrifle I can help out after 10/3. I'm moving into a new place and don't have any spare time (at this moment).

wildhawker
09-29-2011, 1:38 AM
If y'all can expand the database to include mailing addresses, we have a way to get a hard copy letter sent to each that won't get lost in their edge "pro-gun spam filters"...

-Brandon

nicki
09-29-2011, 1:57 AM
We contact their office and tell them that we represent gun owners and we are making a "voter education" guide.

We let them know that they are listed in MAIG and that we have found that many mayors who were listed without their consent and knowledge.

Since 75 percent of Americans support the right to keep and bear arms, we want to let them know who was erroneously listed in MAIG so they don't mistakenly vote against a mayor who actually supports RKBA.

Maybe we need to create another organization.

Mayors against victim disarmament. (MAVD) There are over 3000 counties in the US, How many towns do counties have on average?

We could have 6000 mayors vs their punny 600?

Nicki

chiselchst
09-29-2011, 8:04 AM
oldrifle, OK I'm done with my list!

Oh no, wait! I knew it wouldn't be that easy... :eek: :facepalm: ;)

If y'all can expand the database to include mailing addresses, we have a way to get a hard copy letter sent to each that won't get lost in their edge "pro-gun spam filters"...

-Brandon

oldrifle
09-29-2011, 8:24 AM

-Brandon

Yes, let's get phone numbers and mailing addresses for all the mayors. First we'll send out a mass email to all the mayors we have email addresses for along with a hard copy printed and mailed, then we follow that up with a phone call.

taperxz
09-29-2011, 9:34 AM
I also found this! http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/downloads/pdf/letter_potus_07-08-11.pdf

It may be something to send the unknowing mayors!;)

emcon5
09-29-2011, 9:38 AM
Hmm, I wonder if we could do an FTC complaint..

oldrifle
09-29-2011, 9:56 AM
I also found this! http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/downloads/pdf/letter_potus_07-08-11.pdf

It may be something to send the unknowing mayors!;)

Wow, interested that they WANT Fast & Furious investigated. You'd think they'd want it covered up as much as possible since that would benefit their agenda.

Nice find.

Wherryj
09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
We contact their office and tell them that we represent gun owners and we are making a "voter education" guide.

We let them know that they are listed in MAIG and that we have found that many mayors who were listed without their consent and knowledge.

Since 75 percent of Americans support the right to keep and bear arms, we want to let them know who was erroneously listed in MAIG so they don't mistakenly vote against a mayor who actually supports RKBA.

Maybe we need to create another organization.

Mayors against victim disarmament. (MAVD) There are over 3000 counties in the US, How many towns do counties have on average?

We could have 6000 mayors vs their punny 600?

Nicki

Texas has 254 counties. I suspect that you could get more than 600 mayors from Texas alone.

Wherryj
09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Wow, interested that they WANT Fast & Furious investigated. You'd think they'd want it covered up as much as possible since that would benefit their agenda.

Nice find.

That seems to be a bit misleading. They are asking for the “Tiahrt Amendments” to be removed. This is one of their major pushes, as they want to be able to use trace data for civil suits in an effort to push victim disarmament.

It isn't really pushing for Fast and Furious to be investigated, it is asking that the Tiahrt Amendments be "lifted without delay".

2. Remove riders in the proposed FY 2012 budget that obstruct the congressional
investigation into Fast & Furious:
Regrettably, your Administration again proposed appropriations riders (commonly
referred to as the “Tiahrt Amendments”) in the FY2012 executive budget that hamper
criminal investigations. Those amendments, which restrict the Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) from releasing critical information to law
enforcement bodies, are now preventing House Oversight and Government Reform
Committee Chairman Darrell Issa and Senator Charles Grassley from gathering
information that is critical to their ongoing investigation of ATF’s “Operation Fast &
Furious.” Senator Grassley pointed out in a June 16th letter addressed to ATF Deputy
Director Kenneth Melson that the Tiahrt Amendments prohibit ATF from releasing trace
data, even to members of Congress who are conducting oversight of ATF. This has led to
the absurd situation of the U.S. Congress having to request trace data on U.S. gun sales
from the Mexican government.
In the interest both of getting to the truth behind Operation Fast & Furious and of
improving law enforcement targeting of illegal gun trafficking operations, your
Administration should move to lift Tiahrt restrictions without delay.

taperxz
09-29-2011, 1:32 PM
I'd like to bump this for a little more exposure!!

We could really use some help here! Its not hard to do. The spreadsheet is easy to follow! All thats entailed is click on the link provided, city site will pop up, copy and paste mayors email, provided phone number and city hall/mayors address. And paste in the right columns. If we could get a few people to just do 10 cities!! It would help tremendously!! thanks

taperxz
09-29-2011, 1:55 PM
I'd Also like to mention that IF YOU DO THIS, you will help make A CERTAIN NEW YORK CITY MAYOR WHO HAS BILLIONS OF DOLLARS LOOK PRETTY MUCH LIKE AN........ WELL LET ME JUST SAY

:useless:

Librarian
09-29-2011, 2:26 PM
And slightly longer term, there is a 'League of California Cities' - http://www.cacities.org/index.jsp - with a lookup function by offfice here (http://events.cacities.org/CGI-SHL/TWSERVER.EXE/RUN:MEMLOOK).

'Dear Mayor, in case you are ever approached by this East Coast-based group, perhaps you should be aware ... '

taperxz
09-29-2011, 3:09 PM
Thanks!! We already have the websites/link for each mayor listed. On the spread sheet all we have to do is click the link find the info and copy and paste! Plus make sure its up to date. Pretty simple except there are over 600 :(

Ubermcoupe
09-29-2011, 3:39 PM
Thanks to everyone that is working on this (all you "anonymous users xxxx" in the chat box). It's been going for about a day and some the states are already finished! Let's see if we can firestorm this like the LTC applications thread!

oldrifle
09-29-2011, 4:31 PM
Great work guys. We should be done collecting data in no time. Time to start planning next steps. Please dig up as much info as you can about MAIG and post it to this thread.

oldrifle
09-29-2011, 6:04 PM
Thanks to everyone that is working on this (all you "anonymous users xxxx" in the chat box). It's been going for about a day and some the states are already finished! Let's see if we can firestorm this like the LTC applications thread!

If you guys log in with your Google accounts we can see your name rather than the anonymous number Google assigns.

taperxz
09-29-2011, 9:30 PM
Come on! real 2A supporters can find 30 minutes out of there day to do this!! PM oldrifle!! It will be fun and will get national attention if we do this right!

oldrifle
09-29-2011, 9:59 PM
Come on! real 2A supporters can find 30 minutes out of there day to do this!! PM oldrifle!! It will be fun and will get national attention if we do this right!

We have a lot of volunteers but can certainly use a few more willing to spend 30 minutes to an hour of their time helping out.

Wherryj
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd like to bump this for a little more exposure!!

We could really use some help here! Its not hard to do. The spreadsheet is easy to follow! All thats entailed is click on the link provided, city site will pop up, copy and paste mayors email, provided phone number and city hall/mayors address. And paste in the right columns. If we could get a few people to just do 10 cities!! It would help tremendously!! thanks

I did about ten this morning. I'll see if I can get time to do a few more.

taperxz
09-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I think i have been to 250 city websites now for updates. Its amazing how small some of the towns and villages are!

Ubermcoupe
09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
I think i have been to 250 city websites now for updates. Its amazing how small some of the towns and villages are!

So small they lack websites... :):facepalm:

oni.dori
09-30-2011, 11:34 AM
@oni.dori that is exactly the plan. Don't contact the mayors yet. Just compile email addresses. Then once an appropriate "form letter" has been vetted the volunteers will email the mayors. Oldrifle I can help out after 10/3. I'm moving into a new place and don't have any spare time (at this moment).

I had no plan on contacting them yet. I was just wondering if we planned on simply notifying them, or if we planned on also giving them some sort of explintation why/background on MAIG and why they don't want to be associated with them.

taperxz
09-30-2011, 11:37 AM
So small they lack websites... :):facepalm:
Nope! I think there have only been two or three small villages that had no website up.

taperxz
09-30-2011, 11:40 AM
I had no plan on contacting them yet. I was just wondering if we planned on simply notifying them, or if we planned on also giving them some sort of explintation why/background on MAIG and why they don't want to be associated with them.

They will be notified in several ways. They will be given all the facts and the ability to make the right decision on what to do for them and their constituents.

Since most probably did this thinking it was all about "illegal" guns, they will soon find out the moral imperative of the operation and probably want to bail as fast as they can, otherwise their constituents will find out!

chiselchst
09-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Nope! I think there have only been two or three small villages that had no website up.

I even called a few small villages or towns to get the Mayor's email address, and a couple of times, the Mayor answered the phone! After doing this a bit, I'm now pretty good at digging out the hidden email addresses, LOL...

I have found a couple with no websites at all, one had a county only site. But their pop was 1,300. Going back in now...

PS I've found pasting in to a blank "new email" easier to edit stuff quickly prior to pasting in to doc, FWIW (addresses that paste as several lines, email addresses that paste phunky, etc).

jdberger
09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Hmm, I wonder if we could do an FTC complaint..

Could you please expand on this?

taperxz
09-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't it matters how it posts in the spread sheet. It will all get put into a data base nice and neat. I think?

oni.dori
09-30-2011, 12:11 PM
They will be notified in several ways. They will be given all the facts and the ability to make the right decision on what to do for them and their constituents.

Since most probably did this thinking it was all about "illegal" guns, they will soon find out the moral imperative of the operation and probably want to bail as fast as they can, otherwise their constituents will find out!

That will be a huge benefit for us, because we can then seperate who our REAL "enemies" are, vs ones who were simply flat out lied to or added without their knowledge/consent. This will help us really streamline where/how to focus our resources.

Fyathyrio
09-30-2011, 2:10 PM
Where data cannot be found, would you prefer blocks left blank, or short answer such as "No email provided" in the spreadsheet?

Also, if no specific email for mayor given, but another such as clerk or admin is...would you want that one instead?

Thanks,
Mark

Dreaded Claymore
09-30-2011, 7:23 PM
^ I, also, would like an answer to the above question.

Bump, for more volunteers. Brothers and sisters, stand forth with us!

Also,

Gun Owners Against Illegal Mayors (http://www.stopillegalmayors.com/)

Don't miss the photo of Samuel Rivera on that website. His facial expression is shady as hell!

taperxz
09-30-2011, 8:18 PM
Leave the sections blank where you cant find info!!!! Do not say "cant find or no no email"

emcon5
09-30-2011, 8:49 PM
Could you please expand on this?

FTC is the agency responsible for truth in advertising. Not sure if it would apply, because they don't really have a product, but are trying to sway public opinion by listing people as members who are not.

oni.dori
09-30-2011, 11:34 PM
^ I, also, would like an answer to the above question.

Bump, for more volunteers. Brothers and sisters, stand forth with us!

Also,

Gun Owners Against Illegal Mayors (http://www.stopillegalmayors.com/)

Don't miss the photo of Samuel Rivera on that website. His facial expression is shady as hell!

Is this one of CG's websites? Man, the stuff on there is SCARY. I thought you couldn't be a convicted criminal to hold public office. This REALLY concerns me to see the wrap sheets of these people. THESE are the people that are supposed to keep us SAFE by taking away our guns?

Leave the sections blank where you cant find info!!!! Do not say "cant find or no no email"

What about the ubiquitous "N/A"? Standard professional/corporate response on any report, application, resume, or file. I personally feel that would look much more professional and pleasant that just a blank space. That makes us look like we didn't try very hard IMHO.

FTC is the agency responsible for truth in advertising. Not sure if it would apply, because they don't really have a product, but are trying to sway public opinion by listing people as members who are not.

I think we may have something here. They are attracting people under false pretenses, and misrepresenting themselves and their services. Seems like flat out false advertising to me.

Fyathyrio
10-01-2011, 11:54 AM
A helpful hint for finding info on towns without websites...I've found many county pages that contain the contact info for the towns within. Usually just street address and phone, but better then blank!

Dreaded Claymore
10-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Is this one of CG's websites?

No, that site is completely independent of Calguns. As far as I know.

oldrifle
10-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Guys, please be careful about sharing the URL for the spreadsheet. Make sure anybody who offers help is someone you know/trust or an established CGN user. Better yet, send to me for the Google Doc link. I've been backing up the spreadsheet pretty regularly just in case also.

Great work. We're almost there!

jdberger
10-04-2011, 5:58 PM
This, right here (http://www.indystar.com/article/20111002/OPINION03/110020357/Debate-Melina-Kenneday-crime?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7COpinion%7Cs) , is why the project is important.

Voting Gun Control needs to be politically radioactive. This woman doesn't even know the NAME of the organization she pupports to support. How pathetic is that? I don't think there even is a "National Alliance Against Gun Violence". And if there is, there's no way it has 500 motors as members.

Yet, the media doesn't call her on it because THEY don't know that she's full of crap.

The MAIG Project is one of the first steps in educating the Media. There will be more. Stay tuned.

chiselchst
10-05-2011, 2:58 AM
This woman doesn't even know the NAME of the organization she pupports to support. How pathetic is that?

I'm seeing that and more as I get data for this. Here's one that made me laugh...

"Mayor Geoffrey Henry of Oxford, PA has announced that he has joined the Mayors Against Illegal Handguns Coalition." :facepalm:

Fyathyrio; good advice. And I've also had lots of success by googling the city, borough, village or township with the mayors name. Sometimes scraping info from a blog, etc. I'm really getting pretty scary good at this...:eek:

oldrifle
10-05-2011, 3:39 PM
Also this:

Coalition Launches Campaign Against National Concealed Carry Reciprocity
(http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/media-center/pr036-11.shtml)
MAIG is bad for our rights and needs to go away.

We can use a few more volunteers who have some time to spare to help gather info on the mayors.

jont92619
10-05-2011, 6:46 PM
I sent a letter to the Mayor of Irvine back in October, 2009 about his MAIG membership. Here is the text of the letter and his reply...

Dear Mayor Kang,

I’m writing to express my displeasure with your membership in the group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG). MAIG is simply an Anti Firearm group whose underlying mission is to trample on the Second Amendment, and eventually outlaw private firearm ownership. To date, they have never done anything to go after illegal guns, but rather pushed their general anti gun agenda which affects legal gun owners.

Mayor Bloomberg who started the group is on record as to being against private firearm ownership and has used this altruistic sounding name to fool unknowing Mayors to join his cause. I’m assuming you are one of his unsuspecting victims who was recruited to join without being fully aware of the group’s underlying anti Second Amendment agenda.

I find it an interesting that states, counties and cities who are more liberal towards firearm ownership, or who issue their citizens Carry Concealed Weapons Permits, have a lower crime rate. As a former Police Officer with the City of Long Beach I can assure you the reason for this anomaly is simple. Criminals do not want to deal with people who are able to fight back.

Contrary to the anti gun crowd’s usual mantra that if citizens are armed it will be the wild west in the streets, I urge you to check the actual statistics of jurisdictions who have allowed their citizens to be armed. They rarely see any shooting or violent incidents caused by CCW permit holders. Don’t take my word for it, do your own research. Visit www.gunfacts.info for some extremely interesting information on the topic.

In closing, I request you resign your membership in Mayors Against Illegal Guns and support the Second Amendment. Join the other Mayors who have recently made this decision and have resigned their memberships in MAIG. Should you choose to stay associated with this group, and not fully support the Second Amendment and related issues, I will be sure to inform everyone I know about your stance on the matter and urge them to vote against you when you next run for office.

Mayor Kang's Response...

Thank you for your letter regarding my position on "Mayors Against illegal Guns"- a Group supported by 450 mayors across the nation. My support of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" is based on the belief that criminals who possess, use and traffic illegal Guns should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Please be assured that I Support legal gun ownership consistent with the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution which protects the rights of citizens to own firearms.

I recognize that the vast majority of gun owners and dealers abide by the laws and Regulations regarding the purchase, ownership and sale of firearms. l have no interest in banning legal guns in lrvine, or any where in America. However I, firmly believe that criminals who use illegal guns should be held accountable for their actions.

More importantly we need to be proactive in preventing irresponsible gun dealers and private sellers from knowingly placing firearms into the hands of criminals. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms 1.2 percent of gun dealers are the source of nearly 6 0 percent of guns traced to crimes nationwide each year. Preventing the sale of firearms to convicted criminals, the mentally ill and juveniles should be a priority that
all Americans firmly support.

Again, please be assured that I strongly support legal gun ownership consistent with the Second Amendment and the rights of citizens to own firearms. I certainly appreciate and will be mindful of the points you have raised regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

Sukhee Kang
Mayor

City of Irvine
PO Box 19575,
Irvine, CA 92623-9575

oldrifle
10-10-2011, 8:47 PM
Just to update everyone, we're pretty much done compiling the contact info for mayors. I'm waiting on some input from jdberger regarding the letter and will be drafting it this week. I'll keep updating this thread with progress.

Thanks to everyone who helped gather information. Your hard work is much appreciated.

taperxz
10-10-2011, 8:48 PM
Great!!

Dreaded Claymore
10-10-2011, 8:49 PM
Awesome. I enjoyed every minute of the time I volunteered.

oldrifle
10-10-2011, 9:09 PM
Thanks guys.

Fyathyrio
10-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Knocked out several more today. One question tho...for the Mayor of Coaldale PA that's been indicted on 28 counts of kiddy porn...should I give the prison address instead? :D

Falconis
10-10-2011, 11:43 PM
unless something really exonerating comes out, i say **** that guy and send it 2 times. one to his office and one to his cell.

jdberger
10-11-2011, 8:30 AM
Just to update everyone, we're pretty much done compiling the contact info for mayors. I'm waiting on some input from jdberger regarding the letter and will be drafting it this week. I'll keep updating this thread with progress.

Thanks to everyone who helped gather information. Your hard work is much appreciated.

Thanks for putting me on the spot.... ;)

Email inbound.

Fyathyrio
10-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Pretty much all that's left is PA, here's a good site for address info, not so good for confirming Mayor's name.

www.pennsylvania.hometownlocator.com/

jdberger
10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
If not done by Wednesday, I'll see if I can put some time in.

ja308
10-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Very worthwhile project ---am puter illiterate , but would like to help in a capicity IM capable of .

G60
10-26-2011, 8:11 AM
One down, courtesy Miguel:
http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/index.php/2011/10/26/one-maig-mayor-is-not-really-a-maig-mayor-perry-knight-from-bowling-green-fl/

"There seems to someone outthere who just decided my name should* be added to this list. I do not support anything these folks are trying to do. I have asked repeatedly to have my name removed yet they ignore me. If I could ask you for your help by clearly an plainly stating that I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS . I am a gun owner an avid hunter. thanks for your inquiry an wish you well.* Perry Knight"

chiselchst
10-26-2011, 3:27 PM
:jump:

Any update to this mission? I no longer have "access" to the doc. Is it complete?

THANKS!

One down, courtesy Miguel:
http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/index.php/2011/10/26/one-maig-mayor-is-not-really-a-maig-mayor-perry-knight-from-bowling-green-fl/

"There seems to someone outthere who just decided my name should* be added to this list. I do not support anything these folks are trying to do. I have asked repeatedly to have my name removed yet they ignore me. If I could ask you for your help by clearly an plainly stating that I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS . I am a gun owner an avid hunter. thanks for your inquiry an wish you well.* Perry Knight"

Fyathyrio
11-09-2011, 10:09 PM
One less mayor to worry about, yet he's still signing petitions a year after his death...
Looks like we're right to worry about zombies! (http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/11/bloomberg-brings-dead-back-to-life.html)

oni.dori
11-10-2011, 6:34 PM
I sent a letter to the Mayor of Irvine back in October, 2009 about his MAIG membership. Here is the text of the letter and his reply...

Dear Mayor Kang,

I’m writing to express my displeasure with your membership in the group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG). MAIG is simply an Anti Firearm group whose underlying mission is to trample on the Second Amendment, and eventually outlaw private firearm ownership. To date, they have never done anything to go after illegal guns, but rather pushed their general anti gun agenda which affects legal gun owners.

Mayor Bloomberg who started the group is on record as to being against private firearm ownership and has used this altruistic sounding name to fool unknowing Mayors to join his cause. I’m assuming you are one of his unsuspecting victims who was recruited to join without being fully aware of the group’s underlying anti Second Amendment agenda.

I find it an interesting that states, counties and cities who are more liberal towards firearm ownership, or who issue their citizens Carry Concealed Weapons Permits, have a lower crime rate. As a former Police Officer with the City of Long Beach I can assure you the reason for this anomaly is simple. Criminals do not want to deal with people who are able to fight back.

Contrary to the anti gun crowd’s usual mantra that if citizens are armed it will be the wild west in the streets, I urge you to check the actual statistics of jurisdictions who have allowed their citizens to be armed. They rarely see any shooting or violent incidents caused by CCW permit holders. Don’t take my word for it, do your own research. Visit www.gunfacts.info for some extremely interesting information on the topic.

In closing, I request you resign your membership in Mayors Against Illegal Guns and support the Second Amendment. Join the other Mayors who have recently made this decision and have resigned their memberships in MAIG. Should you choose to stay associated with this group, and not fully support the Second Amendment and related issues, I will be sure to inform everyone I know about your stance on the matter and urge them to vote against you when you next run for office.

Mayor Kang's Response...

Thank you for your letter regarding my position on "Mayors Against illegal Guns"- a Group supported by 450 mayors across the nation. My support of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" is based on the belief that criminals who possess, use and traffic illegal Guns should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Please be assured that I Support legal gun ownership consistent with the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution which protects the rights of citizens to own firearms.

I recognize that the vast majority of gun owners and dealers abide by the laws and Regulations regarding the purchase, ownership and sale of firearms. l have no interest in banning legal guns in lrvine, or any where in America. However I, firmly believe that criminals who use illegal guns should be held accountable for their actions.

More importantly we need to be proactive in preventing irresponsible gun dealers and private sellers from knowingly placing firearms into the hands of criminals. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms 1.2 percent of gun dealers are the source of nearly 6 0 percent of guns traced to crimes nationwide each year. Preventing the sale of firearms to convicted criminals, the mentally ill and juveniles should be a priority that
all Americans firmly support.

Again, please be assured that I strongly support legal gun ownership consistent with the Second Amendment and the rights of citizens to own firearms. I certainly appreciate and will be mindful of the points you have raised regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

Sukhee Kang
Mayor

City of Irvine
PO Box 19575,
Irvine, CA 92623-9575

I think this is a relatively positive sign. It definitely has a foundation to build upon here. I really strongly think that Ms. Kang should be informed upon what MAIG REALLY stands for, since she is misinformed about it, and they clearly do not support what she says she does (even though she is convinced they do).

yellowfin
11-10-2011, 7:14 PM
Invite her to the range for a series of fundraiser shoots --if she shows up for all of them, conditioned on her bringing guns she personally owns, the proceeds go to her, if she doesn't, it goes to her competitor.