PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 1st 22 for son

welchy
09-28-2011, 6:19 PM
I am looking to buy a 22 for my son for Christmas and I would like your advice.

I definitely want to get a bolt action because I want him to learn how to shoot accurately not just dump rounds downrange.

I prefer tube fed because I don't want to have to buy extra mags and loading them can be a pain.

Want something right around $200 retail.

TheDeej
09-28-2011, 6:25 PM
Marlin 981 fits the bill. maybe a little above your price but not much.

It's an affordable, tube-fed, bolt-gun, and Marlins have a great reputation for out of the box accuracy with their .22's

Edit: and it holds 17 rounds :)

JAGACIDA
09-28-2011, 7:28 PM
Single shot until all the basics are learned. Savage MK1 youth, around $150.00

BSlacker
09-28-2011, 7:43 PM
Lever action vote. Tube fed, iron sights, smooth action, fun plinking. Henry has some good value levers. :)

sequoia_nomad
09-28-2011, 8:05 PM
+1 for lever action. Single shot like the bolt, tube fed like the bolt, but a lot more fun to shoot.

RandyD
09-28-2011, 8:14 PM
I bought my daughter a stainless steel cricket single shot bolt action 22 LR. The stock is made to fit a kid. I bought the rifle new for around $170.00. It is accurate, I can easily hit coke cans out at 50 yards with the iron sights. I don't regret the purchase. If she takes an interest in shooting, I'll buy her a Ruger 10-22 when it would fit her.

welchy
09-28-2011, 8:56 PM
My son is 13, so a youth rifle is out of the question. I feel that a bolt action will slow him down enough. I think he would out grow a single shot too fast to make it worth while.

donking
09-28-2011, 9:13 PM
My son is 13, so a youth rifle is out of the question. I feel that a bolt action will slow him down enough. I think he would out grow a single shot too fast to make it worth while.

Agree, get the 10/22 first.
:iagree:

BSlacker
09-29-2011, 6:21 AM
When my son was a youth he was big for his age and a youth stock seemed short and an adult one a little big. All I had in 22lr rifle was a Marlin model 70. We put a cheap aftermarket stock on it and a red dot and turned him loose. Later I got a 10/22 he took over and shot it. He never shot a bolt action until he was over 30. He thinks they are nice but he prefers semiautos and high volume fire. People talk like accurate high volume shooting with a semiauto is a bad thing. Bolt accuracy and high volume semiauto accuracy are both good just different. Flame me if you want. I don't think it matters if given a balanced diet of bolt and semi. They will do fine. :)
This is why I think a lever is good to start. It's rate of fire is high enough to peak the interest and low enough to allow aimed fire. Nobody is saying just spraying the area with ammo is good but what is wrong with one aimed shot after another as fast as you can and still make hits on a coke can at 25yrds. You need the gun to be able to out run the kid. A bolt won't do that. A lever will shoot off bags as good as a bolt.
I would not want my kid to learn shooting is boring. ;)

RuckerSMO
09-29-2011, 6:47 AM
I would go with a single shot personally, I started that way and they are alot of fun. Have a semi-auto availiable to move up to, or for big time fun at the end. A single shot bolt will emphisis the basics and make skill with the semi-auto much more accurate and rewarding.

I would go with a 10/22 simply for the after market. You can customize it to the limit of your imagination, for that matter, your kids imagination.

What ever you choose, your involvement with your child will determine thier preference. If nothing else, you will instill a respect for fire arms and safety in using them. Not to mention, I still love shooting with my dad and Im 35 and in the army. Range days with dad are still my favorite.

rsrocket1
09-29-2011, 12:37 PM
As a Boy Scout, the summer camp rifle range had only single shot bolt action rifles and gave you 10 rounds in a wooden block. You really learned how to AIM and shoot with that set up. The guns had double peep sights and were very accurate at 50 feet. Even a 12 year old could put bulk 22LR's into the x-ring which was no bigger than the 22 itself if he simply took his time aiming the shot. Even a 5 shot magazine fed bolt action rifle felt like a machine gun after that.

Yes, bolt action for sure, single shot if possible. If you don't get a single shot, I would recommend a detachable magazine gun such as a Marlin 925 and let him shoot, but you keep the magazine yourself and make him load it single shot. It would really teach him to shoot at a slow pace rather than think about working the action instead of squeezing the trigger.

Ornery Ol Bastard
09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
I started at 9 with my Grandpa's Ranger bolt action single shot 22 in 1972 (Oh God that makes feel OLD...) - Still works too... Single Shot bolt Action impressed upon me the need for one shot accuracy...IMHO...OK saying that I now love semi auto and will always...LOL

Izzy43
09-29-2011, 1:15 PM
Bolt action is my recommendation as well. I see too many young people with semi-s and not paying attention to shooting accuractely, just shooting to hear it go bang. Absolutely nothing wrong with a single shot either. My most accuracte and favorite rifle is a Kimber 82G single shot .22 and I'm nearing 65 years of age. Three other .22s that I have are magazine fed but I load them one round at a time, better accuracy as the bullet will never get shaved when it enters the chamber like it might from a magazine.

In your price range I would think Marlin is your best bet, used or new. If you can find a Marlin 925 in a wood stock they are excellent shooters.

Trakker
09-29-2011, 1:20 PM
tc contender
then sell the barrel as he progresses

AragornElessar86
09-29-2011, 1:56 PM
I know you are leaning toward a bolt/lever gun, but I want to make a case for the 10/22:

-The guns are very reasonably priced (Turners often has them on sale in the $200-220 range) and mags are practically free ($9 each last time I bought them).
-They'll shoot anything you give 'em.
-They have the largest range of aftermarket stuff of any 22LR I've seen.
-Ruger customer service is second to none.
-They are as accurate as any other mass-produced 22LR out there. Bolt action doesn't mean more accurate, just slower shooting.
-Best 22LR I've seen for the Appleseed shoot, which is probably the best training you can give your son at this point. Appleseed shoots are VERY youth friendly, in fact they have a special category and patch just for youth who make rifleman. You can shoot Appleseed with a different gun, but when you're trying to learn shooting stances, breathing cadence, sight picture/alignment and NPOA, the last thing you want is for your equipment to be holding you back and throwing off your mental game.

MaHoTex
09-29-2011, 1:58 PM
+1 on the Marlin 981

I will say that I was faced with the same discussions last year when Santa brought my son the Marlin 925 with wood stocks.

renardsubtil
09-29-2011, 2:13 PM
I recommend a Polish WZ48 single shot, unique extractor with 0 frills...the thing is a tank...great resell value as well.

TheExpertish
09-29-2011, 2:54 PM
At 33 I still find the slower pace of the single shot fun and challenging. At any age it's hard to resist dumping the magazine as fast as possible just for the giggle factor.

Izzy43
09-29-2011, 3:38 PM
I know you are leaning toward a bolt/lever gun, but I want to make a case for the 10/22:

-They are as accurate as any other mass-produced 22LR out there. Bolt action doesn't mean more accurate, just slower shooting.

Out of the box Savage, Marlin, Kimber, CZ, Ruger bolt action rifles will outshoot any out of the box 10/22 everyday, every time. With the right ammo they will all shoot MOA or better out to 75yds and some beyond that. You might be right when compared to other 22lr semi-autos.

Not trying to flame you its just that your statement runs condtradictory to the statements made on every other gun forum that I have read. Are 10/22s great rifles at a great price? You betcha.

Shoot in the rimfire matches here on Calguns with a stock 10/22 and your opinion might change.

santamonica9
09-29-2011, 11:48 PM
I recently saw some great deals @ Martin B. Retting Guns in culver city. a couple used levers & bolt actions for about $120. However, I think you would spark the childs interest more with a 10/22 for the same reasons said above.

Is it as accurate out of the box as a savage?.?.?....prob not. Is it the "harley davidson" of the .22lr rifles HELL YES -> this means a HUGE aftermarket. i tought several young family memebers on my 10/22. With my 9 year old cousin I would only load three in the magazine so she learned the fundementals: how to aim and what grouping is. Once her groups got good enough and she displayed proper gun handling behavior she graduated to five rounds, then eventually to 10. Both her and her older brother come with me and their dad (my uncle) and we all compete with the 22lr's I own. She wants to try shotgunin next since she saw her father and I bust some clay birds.

I commend you on choosing to teach this skill to your children. Great Job :)

AragornElessar86
09-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Out of the box Savage, Marlin, Kimber, CZ, Ruger bolt action rifles will outshoot any out of the box 10/22 everyday, every time. With the right ammo they will all shoot MOA or better out to 75yds and some beyond that. You might be right when compared to other 22lr semi-autos.

Not trying to flame you its just that your statement runs condtradictory to the statements made on every other gun forum that I have read. Are 10/22s great rifles at a great price? You betcha.

Shoot in the rimfire matches here on Calguns with a stock 10/22 and your opinion might change.

U may be right, but I can only speak to my own experience. My 1022 will shoot as well as anything else in its price range. I've shot 5 shot groups the size of a nickel at 25 yards with my fully stock 1022 on my good days. And my other points still stand even if I just happened to get a really good gun.

jazman
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Another vote for a lever action, and I really like the Henry. Action smooth as silk right out of the box, all American made in America. Great customer service if you need it. Kids love to shoot lever actions.

AragornElessar86
09-30-2011, 9:43 PM
I'll vouch for leverguns just being plain fun. I hear the new Henry's are quite good.

emc002
09-30-2011, 9:45 PM
10/22 $250ish
Henry $250ish
CZ 452 $350ish if you want to spend just a little more.

WDE91
09-30-2011, 9:52 PM
Get him a rifle that he will be able to keep forever and continue to use and want to use much beyond just the first 3-8 years

Welcome to the CZ 452 Scout, it comes with a single shot magazine sled but can take any of the 452 magazines
5rd plastic
5rd metal
10rd plastic

sure your initial investment is higher but the upsides are well worth it
higher build quality
the ability to take magazines
ability to take other stocks

instead of buying him two rifles, you can buy one quality adaptable rifle

Here is the RFC Thread of the Scout
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269539

Once you get hooked on CZ's it can be hard to kick

olhunter
10-01-2011, 7:35 PM
Marlin 981 fits the bill. maybe a little above your price but not much.

It's an affordable, tube-fed, bolt-gun, and Marlins have a great reputation for out of the box accuracy with their .22's

Edit: and it holds 17 rounds :)

+1 on the Marlin 981

This. x10. He'll love it.

The others seem to have missed the part where you 'definitely want a bolt action' and tube feed. The 981 is it. Just slightly over your budget, but worth it. I'm pretty sure the Marlin is the only one anyway unless you want to go used.

RomeoTwoOne
10-03-2011, 8:59 PM
My vote goes to Savage Mark II, insanely accurate, smooth action and operation, reasonably priced ($200 for baseline model), decent aftermarket support, and cheap $15 mags.

When he is old enough, get him a S&W M&P-15 22LR MOE, very fun and reliable rifle.

And definitely take yourself and your boy to an Appleseed. Well worth the weekend for the amount of instruction and fundamentals taught there.

3dre
10-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Mossberg international 802 plinkster only $150 it's bolt action but has a magazine lots of fun to shoot has good accuracy for price and has a really nice crisp trigger that helps with consistent tight grouping

sirsloth
10-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Make him a Liberty Training Rifle (http://appleseedproject.blogspot.com/2008/02/liberty-training-rifle.html)and take him to Appleseed (http://appleseedinfo.org/).

Sacramento Black Rifle (http://findnsave.sacbee.com/Local-Ads/a-32112/Sacramento-Black-Rifle/2671542-2671688/Ruger-10-22-Rifle)has the Ruger 10/22 on sale right now for $199. Walmart has it for $217. I think Wednesday 10/5 might be the last day for the both of these sales. Otherwise Big 5 has it for $229 until Saturday.

The only thing you would really need to add is a sling which will run $30 max for the setup. Slightly over budget but I think well worth the added cost.

bsg
10-05-2011, 2:14 AM
consider the Ruger 10/22. this is a nice one at a reasonable price.