PDA

View Full Version : 100rd drums?

shooterfpga
09-28-2011, 6:15 PM
alright, ive been looking into get either 100rd drums or the 100rd surefire mags. does anybody have any? are they worth it? i dont want to get them if theyre not reliable. i have a ton of 30rd magazines already, just looking to carry less mags.

erik_26
09-28-2011, 6:30 PM
You do know it is illegal to import, manufature, expose for sale, or sell magazinge that hold +10 rounds in California, right?

Scratch705
09-28-2011, 6:32 PM
You do know it is illegal to import, manufature, expose for sale, or sell magazinge that hold +10 rounds in California, right?

not if he is leo. and from his dual location, he may not even be using these in CA.

WDE91
09-28-2011, 6:35 PM
not if he is leo. and from his dual location, he may not even be using these in CA.

excellent point

I have a couple questions
Lets say OP legally owned a 100 round Beta mag but it was recently run over by a truck, could he replace it with a Surefire 100 round rebuild kit?

Or

Could the same busted up beta mag be converted into a 60rd Surefire mag?

I understand its one or other not both

shooterfpga
09-28-2011, 6:36 PM

i did not import, manufacture or any other illegal activity with any of my high capacity magazines while in california. they were all rebuilds, to replace my already owned magazines. i am not in california, but since this has been my main site for information and one of the better ones, i decided to ask here. i am sure there are lots of guys outside of state and also in state that have drums, as ive seen rebuilds for sale on here.

shooterfpga
09-28-2011, 6:37 PM
excellent point

Lets say OP legally owned a 100 round Beta mag but it was recently run over by a truck, could he replace it with a Surefire 100 round rebuild kit?

Or

I understand its one or other not both

this is an interesting question, i dont think that you could, hopefully someone can chime in. but i would figure that the rebuild would have to be the same likeness as the one needing repairs.

Sniper3142
09-28-2011, 7:24 PM

I don't think you can legally do that. You can REPAIR any LCM (Large Capacity Magazine) you currently own. But you can't just swap one for another to my knowledge, regardless of identical capacity. You would have to replace each part one at a time and that requires at least one part in common between the 2 LCMs.

Or

Once again, any repair or replacement would require that at least one part be similar or swapable between each LCM to provide a "logical transition path" between the two.

cannon
09-28-2011, 7:25 PM
Have you thought about how heavy and bulky a 100 round drum is?

shooterfpga
09-28-2011, 8:58 PM
Have you thought about how heavy and bulky a 100 round drum is?

yes sir, thats why im asking before i get one and hate it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dan12580
09-28-2011, 9:04 PM
iam south of you off the 59 and have a couple beta mags. if your in my area you can check them out. i like mine. ive had good luck with the betas. both 9mm and 556. ive heard-but have no personal experience- that the knock offs are hit and miss at best. if your looking to buy hit up class 3 weapons in houston. they have a vendor fourm on the site and are good people to deal with. they took care of me when i was in ca so theyll get my business now that iam free.

shooterfpga
09-28-2011, 10:12 PM
yeah ive looked up class 3 as theyre also sponsors on a texas gun site i belong to. i heard about the issues with the knock offs. do you need to keep your beta greased? are you close to beltway 8? debating going to sog cuz they have jd machine lowers and i like jd.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Stormfeather
09-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Factory Betas are good to go, the knockoffs, not so much. Yea, they are a bit weighty if you have to hump a ruck any distance, but if/when ya get caught on the two way range, they are a GODSEND! What I do is bring a few with me everytime I deploy, load them up and keep them in the vehicle for and extra load out. Works since we all know how long resupply can take if you need one!
As far as the Surefire mags, Im waiting to get my grubby mitts on a couple and run them thru the paces before I take anyones words on how reliable they are. Granted its Surefire, and they are top notch great folks who design some great gear, but I have a tendency to draw my own judgements instead of listening to others. If I can score a couple, look forward to a range report here on CGN about them!

shooterfpga
09-28-2011, 11:10 PM
ok, cool. maybe i will get one of each. im just not sure how i like a huge straight mag sticking out. only reason i figured theyd be good is of course sure fire, but because they are straight instead of the way the drums are fed, ie: thinking of reliability.

ir0nclash86
09-29-2011, 9:03 PM
I have wanted to test out the surefire magazines but haven't seen them on the shelves yet.

Here you go.

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=478361&highlight=surefire