PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Length visually looks less than 16" -- issue or not?

SDM44
09-28-2011, 4:58 PM
Just wondering if this may pose as a problem, even though it's technically legal and meets the 16" requirement. But in the picture below, it does look visually deceiving and may look less than 16" in length.

Can this complete upper give problems just because it visually looks less than 16" in length? Even though it comes from a known company, and they are using a 14.7" barrel and with the A2 flash hider it make it 16" long (and they state this), can this still bring up issues or problems if you're running this on your rifle? The last thing I need to worry about are the willy-nilly's that will want to go narc on me, thinking I'm using a SBS at the range or something.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2545.php

http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/2545.jpg

Merc1138
09-28-2011, 5:02 PM
How does that look less than 16" in length?

If the barrel is 14.7" long, and there is a 1.3" or greater muzzle device pinned and welded to it, the barrel is now 16" long. There is no issue.

Donk310
09-28-2011, 5:06 PM
You are correct. It does "look" less than 16 inches... even with the muzzle brake pinned. Only because our mind wants to look at it without the muzzle brake. But with that bad boy pinned on, it is 16 inches. No worries.

G-forceJunkie
09-28-2011, 6:37 PM
How it looks means nothing. How far a 3/16" wood dowel goes down the bore with the bolt closes is all that matters.

OutlawDon
09-28-2011, 6:38 PM
Tell them to mind their own business.

Simply as that.

Looks and actual length are two different things.

shark92651
09-28-2011, 7:07 PM
I've never encountered anyone at the range that wants to go tattle tale on me. Just verify the length yourself, know that it is at least 16" when measured with a dowel, and go about your legal business.

TKM
09-28-2011, 7:13 PM
Do they know about "shrinkage"?

Like a frightened turtle, Jerry.

Noah3683
09-28-2011, 7:29 PM
Dammit, they told me they weren't gonna be getting anymore CHF uppers..... and no don't worry

peter95
09-28-2011, 7:37 PM
Police brings out the measuring tape (or you equestrian it to get measured) it's 16"
no problem, have a nice day....

Don't worry about it. Tons of people running a set up like yours....

peter95
09-28-2011, 7:38 PM
Police brings out the measuring tape (or you equestrian it to get measured) it's 16"
no problem, have a nice day....

Don't worry about it. Tons of people running a set up like yours....

bohoki
09-28-2011, 7:40 PM
i think the long handguard is messing with your head

Mail Clerk
09-28-2011, 7:43 PM
I've never encountered anyone at the range that wants to go tattle tale on me. Just verify the length yourself, know that it is at least 16" when measured with a dowel, and go about your legal business.

shark92651,

You lucky if you haven't met a person/persons/group that perfers only bolt actions that thinks semi auto have caused nothing but trouble in California. They believe all semi autos should be banned from shooting ranges. There is a small group of club people who shoots only bolt actions that are nothing but haters. I've met such people in the past before.

Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk
09-28-2011, 7:48 PM
Just wondering if this may pose as a problem, even though it's technically legal and meets the 16" requirement. But in the picture below, it does look visually deceiving and may look less than 16" in length.

Can this complete upper give problems just because it visually looks less than 16" in length? Even though it comes from a known company, and they are using a 14.7" barrel and with the A2 flash hider it make it 16" long (and they state this), can this still bring up issues or problems if you're running this on your rifle? The last thing I need to worry about are the willy-nilly's that will want to go narc on me, thinking I'm using a SBS at the range or something.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2545.php

http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/2545.jpg

SDM44,

You should have any trouble... Anyone knowledgeable enough in AR's should know just by your pic that it's a legal upper. If it was illegal your barrel and flash hider would stick forward only by a couple inches. Your pic shows it more than that easy. Just shoot it and have fun. Don't worry about what others think at the range.

Mail Clerk

SDM44
09-28-2011, 9:51 PM
Sounds good. Thanks everyone for the info & confirmation.

If I do go ahead and get this upper, the first thing I'll do is take a dowel and verify that it is 16" from where the bolt closes. I guess worse case scenario, I can just pick up a longer flash hider and have a smith remove the old one and pin/weld the new one on.

donking
09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
The 14.5" with pinned muzzle device is my new favorite. In order of purchase, I have 20", 16", 10", 14.5". If I had it to do over, I would have bought 14.5" instead of 16".

Palmetto State Armory
09-29-2011, 6:30 AM
If I do go ahead and get this upper, the first thing I'll do is take a dowel and verify that it is 16" from where the bolt closes..

The barrel length is 16.1 inches.

shadow65
09-29-2011, 6:50 AM
It's either 16" + or not. Appearance means nothing in that respect. The Mid length hand guards are what makes the barrel look shorter.
Dave N