PDA

View Full Version : FORBES - Gun Collections Pose Special Estate Problems

HowardW56
09-28-2011, 3:15 PM
Forbes Article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2011/09/22/gun-collections-pose-special-estate-problems/)

Ubermcoupe
09-28-2011, 3:36 PM
Good read and something to consider. It is almost never to early to begin planning for these sorts of things and is a type of question that comes up often enough on this forum.

Crom
09-28-2011, 3:47 PM
Very good. :)

PsychGuy274
09-28-2011, 7:21 PM
Once I get cash in order I'm going to start a trust for all of my guns, not just NFA.

Andy Taylor
09-28-2011, 7:28 PM
Interesting. I was just informed today that my cousin (Mom's cousin actually) plans to leave me his rather substancial gun collection when he passes. It came as quite a surprise as we are not very close. But he has no kids or spouse & we are the only two "gun guys" in family.

jigenax
09-28-2011, 8:48 PM
Interesting. I was just informed today that my cousin (Mom's cousin actually) plans to leave me his rather substancial gun collection when he passes. It came as quite a surprise as we are not very close. But he has no kids or spouse & we are the only two "gun guys" in family.

I think he would be your "1st Cousin, once removed".

mag360
09-29-2011, 4:39 AM
or there's always california where no matter what you can't leave an "RAW" to an heir...

Mute
09-29-2011, 6:59 AM
With regards to RAWs, is it possible to de-register them and neuter them so that it's legal to give to the heirs?

felixthecat1
09-29-2011, 1:04 PM
I think he would be your "1st Cousin, once removed".

As a practicing genealogist, I can confirm that he would in fact be your 1C1r, or 1st cousin, 1 generation removed.
His children if any would be your 2nd cousins. It's unfortunate that so many people use the term "2nd cousin" inappropriately so often. Other offenders are great aunt, and step-uncle.

bwiese
09-29-2011, 1:49 PM
Once I get cash in order I'm going to start a trust for all of my guns, not just NFA.

It may make sense to have NFA items in separate trust.

nick
09-29-2011, 2:49 PM
The title would be more appropriate as Stupid Gun Laws Pose Special Estate Problems.

nick
09-29-2011, 2:50 PM
With regards to RAWs, is it possible to de-register them and neuter them so that it's legal to give to the heirs?

Yes, it is.

SJgunguy24
09-29-2011, 2:58 PM

If it has features then yes. Now if they are on the evil puppy/kitten/cute furry animal murdering evil list, then the only way around would be a variance through the ATF and that would be performed by an out of state 07FFL. Then the state might still claim it's banned by name even though the name will have changed via the ATF variance.

BigDogatPlay
09-29-2011, 3:03 PM
I keep all my firearms inventoried and included as assets in our family trust, with directions on who gets what (e.g. a couple of family members, NRA Museum for one, sell outright, donation to certain "ahem" worthy causes). Even if my wife and I should pass together in some catastrophic manner, it's all covered with a bank as the trustee in charge of disposition. Eliminates all family problems.

:)