PDA

View Full Version : ACLU: "Sheriff Baca must resign"

CCWFacts
09-28-2011, 2:27 PM
We've been saying it here for years, and finally the ACLU is also saying it: Leroy Baca, Scientologist, wife-beater, sheriff to the stars (tm) and LTC pimp, should resign. The ACLU is making this issue over prisoners' rights:

The ACLU is calling for Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca to resign on the heels of a report (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-jail-beatings-20110928,0,2434014.story) chronicling what it labeled "pervasive abuse" of jail inmates by deputies.

“Sheriff Baca bears ultimate responsibility for the horrific details we uncovered compiling this report and must step down,” said Peter Eliasberg, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union.

“Deputy-on-inmate abuse has reached levels we’ve never seen before," Eliasberg said.

Someday the ACLU might also defend the rights of residents and taxpayers vs. the Sheriff's gross misconduct on LTCs. I can dream...

Thomas Parker, a former assistant special agent in charge of the FBI's Los Angeles office who now works with the ACLU, said gang-like groups of deputies have been operating in the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department at least since the 1980s, and perhaps since the early 1970s.

Gang members with badges and taxpayer-funded defined-benefit pensions and gold-plated health coverage...

dad
09-28-2011, 2:36 PM
Get rid of him, and the deputies who abuse the prisoners!

Glock22Fan
09-28-2011, 2:58 PM
Much as I want to get rid of him, I doubt his successor will be any better for us. It is going to take a big stick from SCOTUS to get any real change around here.

nicki
09-28-2011, 3:05 PM
Perhaps someone down in LA could see if there is a local branch of the ACLU and ask them if they are interested in what we found on the sunshine so far.

Seems to me that the sheriffs who are the worst about CCW also tend to piss on the rest of the bill of rights.

Several ACLU chapters in the country have flipped to our side already, it doesn't hurt to ask, all they can say is no.

Nicki

Matt C
09-28-2011, 3:06 PM
I'm glad the truth about the violent and illegal assaults by deputies on innocent (until proven guilty) inmates is being brought out by the ACLU. What should really happen is those deputies should get locked up with the same people they abused.

Glock22Fan
09-28-2011, 3:11 PM
I'm glad the truth about the violent and illegal assaults by deputies on innocent (until proven guilty) inmates is being brought out by the ACLU. What should really happen is those deputies should get locked up with the same people they abused.

That might be "Cruel and unusual punishment" :D

Sutcliffe
09-28-2011, 3:11 PM
[QUOTE=Glock22Fan;7232543]Much as I want to get rid of him, I doubt his successor will be any better for us. It is going to take a big stick from SCOTUS to get any real change around here.[/QUOTE

Skimming floaters from the top of the cesspool really doesn't do much.

POLICESTATE
09-28-2011, 3:23 PM
Much as I want to get rid of him, I doubt his successor will be any better for us. It is going to take a big stick from SCOTUS to get any real change around here.

I agree, so they should keep getting rid of crap sheriffs until they can get a good one. Sometimes it just works out like that.

missiondude
09-28-2011, 3:27 PM
[/QUOTE
Skimming floaters from the top of the cesspool really doesn't do much.[/QUOTE]

That is sig line worth right there...

Ubermcoupe
09-28-2011, 3:32 PM
...and LTC pimp:confused:

As in LTC for $$$? (I think I might be too dense... :D )

CCWFacts
09-28-2011, 3:47 PM
:confused:

As in LTC for $$$? (I think I might be too dense... :D )

No, that's exactly right.

POLICESTATE
09-28-2011, 3:58 PM

It's not a pimping if it's a campaign contribution.

yellowfin
09-28-2011, 4:00 PM
Much as I want to get rid of him, I doubt his successor will be any better for us. It is going to take a big stick from SCOTUS to get any real change around here.Maybe, maybe not. A new one might not be as talented at hanging onto office so perfectly, so they won't have the sense of invincibility which clearly compounds the problem.

Kid Stanislaus
09-28-2011, 4:24 PM
Someday the ACLU might also defend the rights of residents and taxpayers vs. the Sheriff's gross misconduct on LTCs. I can dream...

And that's just about all it will ever amount to, a dream.;)

Dreaded Claymore
09-28-2011, 4:39 PM
We've been saying it here for years, and finally the ACLU is also saying it: Leroy Baca, Scientologist, wife-beater, sheriff to the stars (tm) and LTC pimp, should resign.

He's a Scientologist? That's hilarious, if true. How do we know this?

Hail Xenu! :D

oni.dori
09-28-2011, 4:58 PM
...Scientologist,...sheriff to the stars (tm)...

We are suprised about this association?

CCWFacts
09-28-2011, 5:08 PM

It's a fact. Google for "sheriff baca scientology" and you'll get a bunch of hits. Here's one (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Baca/) and another (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Baca/Baca_and_Scientology.html). Wiki had some links, also about his Scientologist wife Carol Baca (http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/c/carol-baca.html) but apparently Scienotlogy is trying to keep that from being published.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Xenu_BBC_Panorama.jpg/220px-Xenu_BBC_Panorama.jpg

We are suprised about this association?

I'm not surprised at all. I bring it up because I think if it were more widely known, it would erode some of his support.

rysmithjr
09-28-2011, 5:09 PM

http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/09/08/no-on-19-says-yes-to-scientology/

7x57
09-28-2011, 5:17 PM
Maybe, maybe not. A new one might not be as talented at hanging onto office so perfectly, so they won't have the sense of invincibility which clearly compounds the problem.

Except sitting sheriffs don't lose in CA, so the new one won't need to be talented. It wasn't even possible to lay a glove on Hutchens, let alone defeat her in her first election in a more conservative county than LA (OK, granted that gunnies divided and worked against each other with rare energy, but she beat the combined totals of the gunnie candidate).

The sense of invincibility is rational, up until they get careless and do something like get caught with a dead girl in the trunk. I think that does diminish your chances for reelection, even in CA.

7x57

oni.dori
09-29-2011, 1:25 AM
...apparently Scienotlogy is trying to keep that from being published.

Oh that's rich!! That really says something about him when even Scienotlogy doesn't want to be associated with a prominent/famous public figure, especially from LA/Hollywood.

hill billy
09-29-2011, 8:54 AM
I am less worried about his religion than I am about the multiple incidences of domestic violence he has perpetrated.

Glock22Fan
09-29-2011, 9:04 AM
I am less worried about his religion than I am about the multiple incidences of domestic violence he has perpetrated.

And the fact that so many people think he can be bought.

hill billy
09-29-2011, 9:09 AM
And the fact that so many people think he can be bought.

I doubt he can be bought for an LTC easily, but I have very little doubt that he can be bought.

Glock22Fan
09-29-2011, 9:18 AM
I doubt he can be bought for an LTC easily, but I have very little doubt that he can be bought.

I've compared the LTC holder list with the Baca contributors list. The correlationship is astronomical. Also frightening, the number of employees from companies that do business with the LASD, such as the one that runs the prisoners' stores in the county jails and the one that sells fingerprinting equipment.

yellowfin
09-29-2011, 9:21 AM
I've compared the LTC holder list with the Baca contributors list. The correlationship is astronomical. Also frightening, the number of employees from companies that do business with the LASD, such as the one that runs the prisoners' stores in the county jails and the one that sells fingerprinting equipment.If this isn't insider favors aka "pay for play", then nothing is. So his real talent is evading corruption charges. Again, as stated above, perhaps his successor might not be so invincible.

galactusnt
09-29-2011, 9:26 AM
We should always oppose a Sheriff based on his actions and held unConstitutional views. For San Diego, the Sheriff here was in the chain of command that led to the Vicky Weaver murder and the murder of her infant via sniper shot. That all in that chain of command are not rotting for life in prison is a gross miscarriage of justice. Googling up on Baca leads me to conclude another pathologic personality has made their way to the top of a power pyramid. Very scary.

Briancnelson
09-29-2011, 9:30 AM
It would be really really hard to do worse than Baca. Anyone would be better. He's corrupt, sleazy and generally dumb as a post.

So I'm in favor of ousting him, even though I'm sure it won't result in a Sheriff who is suddenly pro-2A. The guy has to go.

SwissFluCase
09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
As much as I agree with ousting Baca I think this belongs in Off Topic.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

wash
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Normally I wouldn't care about a public official's religious affiliation but since Scientology has a history of kidnapping, harassment and other illegal acts with large operations in LA, Baca can give them cover that they do not deserve.

If Baca didn't stink already, his affiliation with Scientology would give him an odor that would be hard to shake off.

moleculo
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
For the post that said this belongs in "off-topic", I understand your point of view, but I disagree. As a long time LAC resident, I see a direct correlation between the blatant disregard for our 2A rights by Baca and the disregard for other constitutional rights, as evidenced by these latest events.

I've compared the LTC holder list with the Baca contributors list. The correlationship is astronomical. Also frightening, the number of employees from companies that do business with the LASD, such as the one that runs the prisoners' stores in the county jails and the one that sells fingerprinting equipment.

Can you please post this? I would really like to see a copy of this data. I might have to try to do a regression analysis and see how strong of a correlation there really is! :eek:

As I always say, in CA the Sheriff is the single most powerful elected official in the county; it's practically a lifetime appointment and he answers to virtually noone. If we as citizens don't monitor their actions and voice our concerns, noone will.

Glock22Fan
09-29-2011, 1:28 PM
For the post that said this belongs in "off-topic", I understand your point of view, but I disagree. As a long time LAC resident, I see a direct correlation between the blatant disregard for our 2A rights by Baca and the disregard for other constitutional rights, as evidenced by these latest events.

Can you please post this? I would really like to see a copy of this data. I might have to try to do a regression analysis and see how strong of a correlation there really is! :eek:

As I always say, in CA the Sheriff is the single most powerful elected official in the county; it's practically a lifetime appointment and he answers to virtually noone. If we as citizens don't monitor their actions and voice our concerns, noone will.

Sorry, it got stored when we thought we were moving, and it is still there.

I did a crude statistical correlation, it was off the charts. It was something like a one in ten to the power of double figures that it was a coincidence.

retired
09-29-2011, 1:52 PM
I agree, so they should keep getting rid of crap sheriffs until they can get a good one. Sometimes it just works out like that.

The ones on the dept. who run against him, tend to have their careers come to a screeching halt so I have heard. The one being groomed for his position when he decides to retire is the new Undersheriff, Tanaka.

Since Baca is the one who has promoted him over the years, he more than likely has the same philosophy. Hutchens used to be a Division Chief with the dept., so it is no surprise she is against ccws in OC.

monk
09-29-2011, 2:02 PM
The ones on the dept. who run against him, tend to have their careers come to a screeching halt so I have heard. The one being groomed for his position when he decides to retire is the new Undersheriff, Tanaka.

Since Baca is the one who has promoted him over the years, he more than likely has the same philosophy. Hutchens used to be a Division Chief with the dept., so it is no surprise she is against ccws in OC.

There needs to be a grass root movement to elect a new sheriff. Although LA being as liberal as it is, the focus should be on something other than LTC issuance.

morfeeis
09-29-2011, 2:14 PM
There needs to be a grass root movement to elect a new sheriff. Although LA being as liberal as it is, the focus should be on something other than LTC issuance.
find an anti wife beating group

Think of the children

Glock22Fan
09-29-2011, 2:32 PM
Thanks to our beloved leaders in Sacramento, it is near to impossible for any non-groomed candidate to succeed (though it does happen, see Ventura's last race). Internal candidates who dare to run against the incumbent's wishes find all sorts of nasty things happening to them. Candidates from outside are either unknown and/or don't know enough about how a department as big as LASD runs.

Peter W Bush
09-29-2011, 2:49 PM

How much and how do I sign up? I wonder if he takes paypal lol

moleculo
09-29-2011, 11:34 PM
The ones on the dept. who run against him, tend to have their careers come to a screeching halt so I have heard.

That's fact, not hearsay. Look up Sgt. Patrick Gomez, who ran against Baca in 2002. In 2010, Gomez was awarded a $1 million settlement in a lawsuit he brought against the department because of career ending retaliation stemming from his criticism of Baca during his campaign.

It's career suicide to run against a Sheriff as powerful as Baca in this state.

retired
09-30-2011, 12:11 AM
I didn't recall the sgt.s name and didn't know that added info you provided. Good for him. The other person, a Capt., was also told his career was pretty much over from what I "heard." Generally, the Capt. of the largest jail in the county gets promoted or sent to a very desirable command as a capt. prior to getting promoted. This Capt. was sent to another jail facility, where, unless he has retired, is still there as a Capt. I believe.

A Capt. who resigned to run against him, had his ccw taken away. It was reported that some type of campaign financial mistake was made by his team. When it was brought to his attention, the donation was returned, but his ccw was taken for "cause," which can be done. This was reported in the paper at the time.

I was told by a old time deputy who worked the HOJJ when Pitchess was Sheriff. He told of two Lts. who filed a grievance over a Capt.'s test for not being promoted. They were transferred far from their home to work EMs. After a year to let them understand the "mistake" they made, they received their promotion. Different Sheriff, different way of doing things. I hired on when Pitchess was Sheriff. Baca is no Pitchess.

socal2310
09-30-2011, 8:27 AM
Thanks to our beloved leaders in Sacramento, it is near to impossible for any non-groomed candidate to succeed (though it does happen, see Ventura's last race). Internal candidates who dare to run against the incumbent's wishes find all sorts of nasty things happening to them. Candidates from outside are either unknown and/or don't know enough about how a department as big as LASD runs.

If Brooks had stepped down early and appointed Carpenter, Dean wouldn't have stood a chance (the board of supervisors wouldn't have blinked at endorsing his decision).

Ryan

oni.dori
09-30-2011, 1:05 PM

Yes, but IIRC, the religion does excuse, and even to some degree encourage, DV towards female spouses in certain instances.

Mute
09-30-2011, 7:53 PM
Regardless of who may be his predecessor, this crook in cop's clothing needs to be ousted and hopefully given some jail time.

oni.dori
09-30-2011, 8:11 PM
Amen Mute.

CCWFacts
10-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Now the LA Times is calling for Leroy to resign (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/10/steve-lopez-its-time-for-lee-baca-to-step-aside.html):

It's time for Lee Baca to step aside
http://www.latimes.com/media/alternatethumbnails/photo/2011-10/65269218-07104607.jpg
Even before accusations of beatings surfaced, there were questions about the sheriff's ability to manage the department.

The article doesn't mention his handling of LTCs. Or his handling of his wife.

Smokeybehr
10-07-2011, 3:41 PM
It's not a pimping if it's a campaign contribution.

The Second Oldest Profession ain't much different from the First.

Five stars on his collar? Who does he think he is? Douglas Macarthur? Even our local Sheriffs don't have the audacity to wear 5 stars.

CCWFacts
10-07-2011, 9:12 PM
Sheriff Baca says "nothing to hide (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-baca-jails-20111008,0,5570417.story)", he's open to a Federal probe of what's going on in LA's jails.

Last week, Baca denounced the FBI's investigations of his jails, which included smuggling a cellphone to an inmate a move he said was possibly illegal. He questioned whether the agency was competent to determine wrongdoing.

But as criticism mounted Friday over his oversight of the jails, Baca struck a much more conciliatory tone and acknowledged that there were problems in the jails.

"I see there's a pattern of disrespect to inmates by a small percent of deputies. But a small percent of deputies is too much. There shouldn't be any disrespect," Baca said in an interview with The Times. "We have to change the culture of the jail, improve it."

I'm happy to see Sheriff Baca in trouble, but I'm not happy to see that the LA Times and the ACLU are far more concerned with the rights of convicted criminals than they are of the rights of us taxpaying law-abiding residents, whose rights are also being abused by Sheriff Baca. Law-abiding people who are here legally and who pay taxes are the most hated people in this state. We no longer have a reason or a right to be here I guess.

moleculo
10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm happy to see Sheriff Baca in trouble, but I'm not happy to see that the LA Times and the ACLU are far more concerned with the rights of convicted criminals than they are of the rights of us taxpaying law-abiding residents, whose rights are also being abused by Sheriff Baca. Law-abiding people who are here legally and who pay taxes are the most hated people in this state. We no longer have a reason or a right to be here I guess.

Well said.