PDA

View Full Version : First time field stripping 1911 with FLGR - wasn't hard at all!

Lead Waster
09-28-2011, 1:26 PM
My first 1911, the RIA Tactical with full length guide rod. I followed the instructions in the manual and ... what's the big deal?

I thought it would be a horror story field stripping and reassembling it, but it didn't seem any harder than any other pistol. OK, a few more steps than my glock or CZ75b, but not much more.

I was aware of idiot-scratch potential, so I was careful there.

The barrel --- ugh, it was filthy! I was expecting too look into it and see a mirror shine, and it was really dirty. Even after a bunch of hoppes 9 and some MP7pro, it was still gross, even after a scrubbing with the bronze brush, it was not as clean as I expected! Maybe after I get some rounds through this thing it will be better.

Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't the traumatic experience that people said it might be. I'm not sure how a FLGR makes it any harder either.

Lumpia is sarap!
09-28-2011, 1:30 PM
It's only a big deal when people don't follow the manual instructions. You did it the right way...especially being cautious of the idiot mark.

goldengate
09-28-2011, 2:17 PM
1 piece FLGR is fine, but when you have 2 pieces FLGR, then you would need an allen wrench to loosen it.

zman
09-28-2011, 2:34 PM
1 piece FLGR is fine, but when you have 2 pieces FLGR, then you would need an allen wrench to loosen it.

Bingo! :)

Q619
09-28-2011, 3:24 PM
If you thought THAT was easy, you should see how easy it is with the GI rod/plug :p

AeroEngi
09-28-2011, 3:31 PM
Change it out for a GI rod and plug and you'll be even happier. Plus, JMB won't roll over in his grave. :D

himurax13
09-28-2011, 3:42 PM
Change it out for a GI rod and plug and you'll be even happier. Plus, JMB won't roll over in his grave. :D

Yuck. I will never own a 1911 without a 1 piece FLGR, ambi mag release, ambi safeties, beavertail, or a Magwell. :cool:

Bobby Ricigliano
09-29-2011, 5:14 AM
That's what you get for reading the instructions carefully. I tried using the force and nearly launched a high velocity recoil spring and plug into my face. Reassembly? More idiocy. Nowadays its a breeze. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks..

Apec
09-29-2011, 4:40 PM
I didn't have much trouble the first time, though resetting the barrel bushing while holding down the plug seemed like a three handed job at the time.

Chief-7700
09-29-2011, 4:52 PM
My first 1911, the RIA Tactical with full length guide rod. I followed the instructions in the manual and ... what's the big deal?

I thought it would be a horror story field stripping and reassembling it, but it didn't seem any harder than any other pistol. OK, a few more steps than my glock or CZ75b, but not much more.

I was aware of idiot-scratch potential, so I was careful there.

The barrel --- ugh, it was filthy! I was expecting too look into it and see a mirror shine, and it was really dirty. Even after a bunch of hoppes 9 and some MP7pro, it was still gross, even after a scrubbing with the bronze brush, it was not as clean as I expected! Maybe after I get some rounds through this thing it will be better.

Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't the traumatic experience that people said it might be. I'm not sure how a FLGR makes it any harder either.

The following may help when you clean down to a bare frame.
http://warlockfirearms.blogspot.com/2010/05/complete-disassembly-and-detail.html
Chief

hkfooey
09-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Trust me brother - no matter how careful you are or you have done it a thousand times - you will experience that "rocket launch" at least once or twice (like me - more than that!). :facepalm:

That's what you get for reading the instructions carefully. I tried using the force and nearly launched a high velocity recoil spring and plug into my face. Reassembly? More idiocy. Nowadays its a breeze. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks..

POLICESTATE
09-29-2011, 10:55 PM
I replaced my FLGR with a regular GI plug and it's much better now. I always felt the FLGR gets in the way, preventing cocking of the 1911 on the edge of something, like my boot for instance. Also easier to brass check.

Not to mention the 1911 looks better with a GI plug than a FLGR.

Oh and I can also easily disassemble without the use of any tools.

ns3v3n
09-30-2011, 10:02 AM
I replaced my FLGR with a regular GI plug and it's much better now. I always felt the FLGR gets in the way, preventing cocking of the 1911 on the edge of something, like my boot for instance. Also easier to brass check.

Not to mention the 1911 looks better with a GI plug than a FLGR.

Oh and I can also easily disassemble without the use of any tools.

I also did that, i'm so much happier with my springfield loaded, plus the damn thing doesnt come loose after 50 rounds. Although it does feel like the slide cycle a tad slower than the 2 piece FLGR. Maybe it's just in my head.

esartori
09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Glad you find it easy! The two piece is more of a PITA. I prefer the g.i. plug to be honest. Its worked for 100 years.

PRCABR4Christ
09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Trust me brother - no matter how careful you are or you have done it a thousand times - you will experience that "rocket launch" at least once or twice (like me - more than that!). :facepalm:

LOL Amen to that!

Also, wait until you disassemble something with a FLGR and a bull barrel...that can get dicey and fun all at the same time :facepalm:

POLICESTATE
09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
I also did that, i'm so much happier with my springfield loaded, plus the damn thing doesnt come loose after 50 rounds. Although it does feel like the slide cycle a tad slower than the 2 piece FLGR. Maybe it's just in my head.

Hmmm, I haven't noticed the cycle time changing on mine. How many rounds you put through your gun?

I had put 200 rounds through my Kimber TLE with the FLGR and since then it's been about 500 more rounds. It shoots nice and quick. I really do like the look of a GI Plug 1911 though, it's the way Mr. Browning meant it to be.

to: http://strang.newtomorrow.org/CGN/kimber_giplug.jpg

Ahhhh it's beautiful! :drool5:

ns3v3n
09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
It has around 200 rounds since the Gi guide rod and plug, it's probably just in my head. But there's no way i'm going back to the 2piece now.

tacticalcity
09-30-2011, 12:37 PM

I've got a bunch of little nics in the finish around the slide stop but nothing that qualifies as a true "idiot mark". I've gotten a lot better overtime, but every once in a while a new nic gets added. I bought mine used so 90% of 'em came from the first owner. This way I don't feel too guilty when I mess up.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%201911s/1911_9-23-11.jpg

wash
09-30-2011, 12:50 PM
My hands might be a bit stronger than some but I thought dissasembly of my 1911 was easier after I added a one piece full length guide rod.

I just pull the slide back to align the round notch with the slide release and then pop the release out.

I never put an idiot mark on it.

I know that method takes a little hand strength but it's not too bad and you won't launch a spring unless you are really careless.

Whenever I see a two piece guide rod I can't understand why anyone would want one and an old school setup seems like a hassle trying to control the spring.

Of course that is only my opinion but I see a benefit from the FLGR when it comes to takedown.

redcliff
09-30-2011, 4:24 PM
My hands might be a bit stronger than some but I thought dissasembly of my 1911 was easier after I added a one piece full length guide rod.

I just pull the slide back to align the round notch with the slide release and then pop the release out.

I never put an idiot mark on it.

I know that method takes a little hand strength but it's not too bad and you won't launch a spring unless you are really careless.

Whenever I see a two piece guide rod I can't understand why anyone would want one and an old school setup seems like a hassle trying to control the spring.

Of course that is only my opinion but I see a benefit from the FLGR when it comes to takedown.

Many of us disassemble our g.i. style guiderod assembly 1911's the same way. You just have to cup your left hand under the slide and control the spring/guide as you remove the slide.