PDA

View Full Version : Varmint hunting in So-Cal

Incitatus
02-04-2007, 7:57 PM
http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/PICT00018.jpg

I just brought home a brand new CZ452 ZKM Special in 17HMR. I fitted a 4-12X40 scope on it and it is ready to claim its first victims.
Any of you guys know a good place to hunt small game/varmint within 1- 1 1/2 hour driving from LA? Directions would be nice.

Thanks,
Incitatus

toymonger
02-04-2007, 8:03 PM
How about a 22lr subsonic HP to the ear. Sounds like a pellet rifle. Crows, Squirrels, etc. Just so you have a good backstop. 2618

joel1316
02-05-2007, 8:27 AM
How about a 22lr subsonic HP to the ear. Sounds like a pellet rifle. Crows, Squirrels, etc. Just so you have a good backstop.

Thought crows could only be taken with a shotgun in the state of CA?
I'd never use a 22lr to take coyote though. Just my personal feelings...

gn3hz3ku1*
02-05-2007, 12:12 PM
id also like to hunt small game- rabbits etc.. i just dont feel like killing a animal just to kill it. at least i can eat rabbits!

elsolo
02-05-2007, 1:26 PM
Does intentionally picking up a ground squirrel with the left front tire of my Buick (almost got both of them for the double) count?
Location was the entry road to Raahaugee's.

Aluisious
02-05-2007, 1:28 PM
I wouldn't want to shoot something without reason, either to eat it, or because it was disturbing my property somehow.

Incitatus
02-05-2007, 4:16 PM
Thank you all for your contributions but you are responding to questions I have never asked.

So: anybody knows a good place to hunt small game near LA?

HOSS
02-05-2007, 4:45 PM
Try The Sespie Wilderness

toymonger
02-05-2007, 7:46 PM
Is it OK to kill coyotes that are trying to kill your goats? I have a property with an orchard that I have to maintain and protect. Do I need to write a long story, or can we just have some fun. Take it easy guys.

gn3hz3ku1*
02-05-2007, 8:52 PM
hey i just want to kill some rabbits to eat! i dont know about eating a cyot, but damn if i was hungry enough.... God did give me "K9" teeth for a reason
;)

Incitatus.. calgun small game hunt?

slick_711
02-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I've been curious about this as well, good areas, legalities of various game, process for licensing and what not?

The only hunting I've done here in CA was a few ground squirrels on private property which were so numerous they became "pests" and I was asked to eliminate a few of them. Ironically enough, the day I was there they seemed to all be hiding so I only got two.

Just recently a woman came into the shop looking for a rifle to defend her ranch from coyotes that had been harassing her cattle & horses. I made a comment that I'd almost pay to go take care of that problem for her but I guess she thought I was kidding. :rolleyes:

Maybe we So-cal Calgunners should start a 'dangerous pest control' agency and see if we can take care of farmer's coyote problems. :D

Sydwaiz
02-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Head out to the desert. Just make sure that the area where you go allows rifle shooting as some areas are shotgun only. You'll be able to take cotton tails and jacks with that but I wouldn't use it on anything larger.

slick_711
02-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Head out to the desert. Just make sure that the area where you go allows rifle shooting as some areas are shotgun only. You'll be able to take cotton tails and jacks with that but I wouldn't use it on anything larger.

Don't you need a hunting license for that? Or no?

Sydwaiz
02-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Yes. A hunting license is needed for any type of hunting. But first you'll need to take a hunter safety course in order to get your license.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/hunting.html

Nefarious
02-06-2007, 7:18 AM
hey i just want to kill some rabbits to eat! i dont know about eating a cyot, but damn if i was hungry enough.... God did give me "K9" teeth for a reason
;)

I would love to have a group hunt =)
then thaht means ill have to have some sort of varminter setup .. which i guess could end up being a :D or a :mad:

toymonger
02-06-2007, 8:05 AM
I am down in south Riverside county and I purchase some BLM maps. I was able to find BLM land I didn't know existed within just a few minutes of my house. I'm not an official varmint hunter but I found some great quail spots.

Make sure you're licensed and legal because you will be checked.

gn3hz3ku1*
02-06-2007, 3:03 PM
toy monger feel like posting gps cords or a scan out of your map and directions??

a ar15 does also shoot a .223. does that round go in and out a rabbit? or does it do too much damange to eat afterwards?

toymonger
02-06-2007, 3:15 PM
It's software maps. http://www.maptrails.com/ The BLM Stae Explorer. They weren't too expensive and are invaluable.

gn3hz3ku1*
02-06-2007, 4:40 PM
ok 2nd question.. are there any rabbits in the legal hunting areas of riverside?

toymonger
02-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Rabbits are everywhere. But other than varmints, you should only shoot what you will eat. Also most seasons are closed. You need to check the DFG site mentioned earlier.

joel1316
02-07-2007, 8:06 AM
No season on jackrabbits, so blast away! LOL
There is a season for Cottontails which open in July 1st and I forget when it closes. I would think a 223 would create too much damage to a rabbit that will be eaten. I used a 223 for a rather large ground squirrel and there really wasn't much left to eat if I were to...

nhanson
02-08-2007, 2:34 PM
If you in LA County, it is illegal to use firearms on rabbits.....beats me why but that's the hunting regs.

The best Ive found is the " Carrizo Plains" area.....BLM/State/Federal lands open to hunting. Varmitting/Birds/Big Game. Make sure you get a license and read the regs.

Enjoy :)

Sydwaiz
02-08-2007, 6:17 PM
I think I'm going to try and go coyote hunting Sunday. I need to try out my new electronic caller. If it's not raining of course! I don't feel like sitting in a puddle.

grammaton76
02-08-2007, 6:27 PM
If you in LA County, it is illegal to use firearms on rabbits.....beats me why but that's the hunting regs.

Maybe it's because rabbits like to run around residential areas?

nhanson
02-09-2007, 12:01 AM
I think it is more to do with the anti who run LA County/city........

joel1316
02-09-2007, 8:10 AM
I think I'm going to try and go coyote hunting Sunday. I need to try out my new electronic caller. If it's not raining of course! I don't feel like sitting in a puddle.

What kind of caller did you get?

Sydwaiz
02-09-2007, 9:28 AM
Foxpro 16b from Cabelas. A friend of mine has one and after watching it work, I was sold on it.

joel1316
02-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Cabela's has a great deal on those! Good buy!

gn3hz3ku1*
02-09-2007, 12:20 PM
so where are you going to hunt? gps cords? :)

toymonger
02-12-2007, 7:36 AM
I am excited to hear how the hunt went. Success? Pic's?

Sydwaiz
02-12-2007, 3:04 PM
Didn't go. :( I woke up and it was raining and I don't have any rain gear. If I don't go to Vegas this weekend, I might go Saturday.

I did however stay home and brewed my first batch of beer!

DirtySanchez
02-13-2007, 7:59 AM
Very nice,
what did you brew?

Sydwaiz
02-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Hefeweizen!

anotherone
02-13-2007, 12:22 PM

If all else fails build a trap using a milk crate, cinder block, stick, and some food. Be sure to put a bell on it or some type of noise making device so you'll know when it gets a rabbit. Once you have the rabbit simply break its neck, skin and eat. Enjoy :)!

P.S. depending on regs you may also be able to use this method to take squirrels during squirrel season. Be sure to wear strong leather gloves, they will fight back when you grab them to break their neck.

rla_2000
02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Talk about taking matters into your own hands!!!! :eek:

Why don't you take it to the next step and skin it with your teeth! :D

J/K LOL

If all else fails build a trap using a milk crate, cinder block, stick, and some food. Be sure to put a bell on it or some type of noise making device so you'll know when it gets a rabbit. Once you have the rabbit simply break its neck, skin and eat. Enjoy :)!

P.S. depending on regs you may also be able to use this method to take squirrels during squirrel season. Be sure to wear strong leather gloves, they will fight back when you grab them to break their neck.

mike100
02-14-2007, 5:14 PM
the fish and game regs state that you can use box traps in SD Co. Little bunny rabbits are kind of dumb enough to be taken by rocks. the firearm part makes it more fun, but you probably need it for jackrabbits..they are more robust.

The dark side of me wants to hunt crows when they are in season... I think you can bag 24 day here. They are good practice when you can find dove or quail.

Sydwaiz
02-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Not supposed to rain tomorrow! :D "here doggy doggy doggy!"

Nahuatl
03-15-2007, 9:25 AM
I haven't posted on CalGuns in a while, but I thought I'd drop in and post a few pics now that the coyote season is done. I noticed there's quite a bit of misinformation on hunting, firearms, and in particular, LA County, in some of the posts above. If you're not sure about the law, you do others a disservice when you post something that just isn't true.

Rifle hunting is perfectly legal in the national forest and in a few rural areas of LA County. Shotgun hunting is legal within LA County in many of the outlying areas outside city limits and outside designated no shooting zones. Know your boundaries. Coyote hunting in the state of California is a 100% legal activity 12 months out of the year, and in the spotlight zones, 24 hours a day. There are no limits, but a hunting license is required. Some of the best coyote hunting in the U.S.A. is within sight of cities like Glendale, Pasadena, and Montclair.

If you want to learn to shoot coyotes in SoCal, join a club. There are six active predator clubs with a variety of activities during the year.

A wise Chinese sensei once told me, "One should always eat what one shoots." That is until, he shot a jackrabbit and tried his best in the kitchen that night to make it palatable. After his teeth bounced off the rubber-like meat a few times, he added this, "One must never shoot jackrabbits."

An even wiser coyote biologist said that no matter how many coyotes hunters kill, it will never affect their population. The coyote population currently cycles between a high of >1mil. after denning season to a low of <400K in February and is linked to rainfall and rodent populations, not hunting activity. There are more coyotes now than there have ever been.

Here are some of the coyotes I killed between Jan 16 and Feb 28 of 2007, all shotgun, all daylight, SoCal and AZ. If I add those from the fall, it fills pages.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/Coyotl/Game%20Shots/Season5.jpg

Sydwaiz
03-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Coyote season is never done! Atleast I hope not, I'm still learning and just got started it seems! I got one last Saturday!

Man, those are some nice pics. Good hunting. What type of caller is that? I'm using a Foxpro. Still learning how to hunt these critters myself but I'm getting better each time I go out.

http://www.rsktool.com/Markspics/tikkayote.jpg

Nahuatl
03-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Coyotes typically pair up and den March - June and many veteran hunters choose to take a break during those months. It takes both a male and female coyote to successfully raise a litter of pups, so the dog you shoot today means 8 fewer targets in July.

Knowing your exact location is important in SoCal. Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties are a maze of no-shooting, no night shooting, no rifle shooting and no centerfire shooting zones and regulations. Even the sheriff and the fish and game can lose track of which regulations apply where.

I typically use a shotgun during daylight which means calling coyotes to within 40 yards, but during the early season I did hunt with a .243 and take some at longer ranges, including some spotilighting in Zone 2 and Nevada. On one stand, over an extended period my partner and I shot 14 coyotes and a porcupine. On a hot streak, we shot 9 coyotes in 2 hrs 45 mins without moving more than a couple of hundred yards.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/Coyotl/Game%20Shots/CoyoteBadger.jpg

gn3hz3ku1*
03-16-2007, 11:48 AM
i want to come now

scombs263
03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Coyotes typically pair up and den March - June and many veteran hunters choose to take a break during those months. It takes both a male and female coyote to successfully raise a litter of pups, so the dog you shoot today means 8 fewer targets in July.

Knowing your exact location is important in SoCal. Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties are a maze of no-shooting, no night shooting, no rifle shooting and no centerfire shooting zones and regulations. Even the sheriff and the fish and game can lose track of which regulations apply where.

I typically use a shotgun during daylight which means calling coyotes to within 40 yards, but during the early season I did hunt with a .243 and take some at longer ranges, including some spotilighting in Zone 2 and Nevada. On one stand, over an extended period my partner and I shot 14 coyotes and a porcupine. On a hot streak, we shot 9 coyotes in 2 hrs 45 mins without moving more than a couple of hundred yards. Here's a pic that includes some of the dogpiles and the weirdest coyote I ever shot. It had just eaten a whole badger and was tighter than a watermelon. It couldn't spit up the badger, chew off the neck, or swallow the head. At night in the spotlight it looked like two sets of eyes stacked on each other. In another pic, the worn out teeth on the old dog made him to be around 12 years old.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/Coyotl/Game%20Shots/Season1.jpg

We should do a CALGUNS coyote hunt, in SO CAL...Lets all go, looks like a ton of fun...

gn3hz3ku1*
03-16-2007, 1:07 PM
i only have a AR and a saiga but im sure i can hit it the same as a shotgun

Sydwaiz
03-16-2007, 1:13 PM
Don't worry, my other coyote gun is an AR. Works just fine. 55gr Black hills blue box leaves big ol nasty wounds in em. My 22-250, I couldn't even tell where I hit it, no blood or nothing. It just dropped.

gn3hz3ku1*
03-16-2007, 3:19 PM
want to draw us a map of where in la country we can go hunt at? do you just leave the coyotes there or do you have to bury them.

Nahuatl
03-16-2007, 5:09 PM
There are a lot predator hunters in the U.S., and almost all of them use a rifle. Some are successful, but many are not.

I think some of you may misjudge the complexity of calling and shooting coyotes.

My daughter and I hunted together several times. On one hunt she killed more animals than all the other men in the club except her old man. She and I outshot the rest of the club put together. Notice how thick the cover is behind her.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/Coyotl/Game%20Shots/Bobcat3.jpg

PistolPete75
03-16-2007, 5:32 PM
today, i went varmint shooting for the first time at my dad's ranch in tahacapi..i shot one rabbit...man those things run around fast.

Nahuatl
03-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Edit

Super_tactical
03-18-2007, 6:15 PM
Oh man, all the people concerned about varmints. They are a nuisance. They are not for food. They are good to kill for fun and for extermination purposes.

I don't know if I could bring myself to kill a bobcat though. That's just me...they're too pretty. ;)

Nahuatl
03-18-2007, 9:12 PM
And there will be more coyotes next year than there are this year - probably due to the ban on leg-hold traps.

rh3431
03-22-2007, 1:39 AM
anyone know if a .17 mach2 can take down a coyote? I've seen them go down with CCI Stingers but not with a mach2 yet.

five.five-six
03-22-2007, 2:57 AM
;)

what sort of side arm are you planning on carring for your rabbit hunt? those things are viscious, I am thinking at least a .454 casull, of course it is always best to have the _Holy_Hand_Grenade_of_Antioch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Hand_Grenade_of_Antioch)

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7397/holyhandgranademk8.jpg

because, just as quick as you can say "rabbit soup" you could be facing this: :eek:

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5914/rabbitattackrb0.jpg

“ ...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [Whereupon the friar is urged, "skip ahead a bit, brother"]... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen. ”

xdimitrix
03-22-2007, 9:25 AM
Nahuatl, would you provide any clues about the spots near Pasadena? I just got my license and am looking to try 'yote hunting out.

Sydwaiz
03-22-2007, 12:32 PM
anyone know if a .17 mach2 can take down a coyote? I've seen them go down with CCI Stingers but not with a mach2 yet.

Maybe if you're close enough, say 50yds or so. I don't think it would carry enough energy past that to do more than wing em. Coyotes are pretty tough animals.

five.five-six
04-03-2007, 7:12 PM
looks like no one made it back ffrrom the hunt alive, I warned you to bring "the _Holy_Hand_Grenade_of_Antioch"

Rugerman
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
dont know if anyone said this already but im pretty sure its California law that you have to drive a minimum of 1 mile from any road or highway etc.

Sydwaiz
04-04-2007, 11:34 AM
dont know if anyone said this already but im pretty sure its California law that you have to drive a minimum of 1 mile from any road or highway etc.

Please cite specific codes if you are going to post something like that.

mquejr
04-04-2007, 2:07 PM
Maybe we So-cal Calgunners should start a 'dangerous pest control' agency and see if we can take care of farmer's coyote problems. :D

count me in count me in :D

gn3hz3ku1*
04-04-2007, 3:28 PM
what sort of side arm are you planning on carring for your rabbit hunt? those things are viscious, I am thinking at least a .454 casull, of course it is always best to have

9mm and a stag ar? or i can just use my hands and throw rocks

Nahuatl
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm real sure you have no freakin' idea what you're talking about. Duh.

If it says FGC, it means CA STATE Fish and Game Code. LA County Codes are marked as such. FEDERAL Rules are at the bottom.
Shooting NEAR structures or inhabited dwellings:
FGC 3004
It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 50-yard area is a “safety zone.” (FGC 3004)

Shooting AT structures or inhabited dwellings, roads, etc.
LA County Code
13.66.040 Discharging firearms--Restrictions generally.
A person shall not shoot, fire or discharge, and a person, firm or corporation shall not cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged, any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm in the general direction of any house, camp or place of human habitation, or in the general direction of any public highway, road, street, way, park or premises, unless the place from which such rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm is shot, fired or discharged is at least one-half mile distant from such house, camp or place of human habitation, or is at least one-half mile distant from that portion of such public highway, road, street, way, park or premises toward which such rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm is shot, fired or discharged. The exception in Section 13.66.010 to destroying or killing any predatory or dangerous animal does not apply to this section. (Ord. 7381 1 (part), 1958: Ord. 1769 Art. 3 304, 1929.

Use of Rifles and Pistols in Los Angeles County.

FGC 311.7. In Los Angeles County the use of rifles or pistols is prohibited in the taking of rabbits.

The list of local LA County NO SHOOTING prohibitions is legendary. It's probably 30 pages long and takes a cartographer to decipher. It includes every city limit and many moderately inhabited areas and most major asphalt roads. Know the boundaries and know exactly where you are at all times or you will be cited by the LA County Sheriff. They can arrest you, impound your vehicle, and take your firearms, while you spend the night in a pink jumpsuit with paper slippers and some ugly roommates. Last year I took a pile of coyotes LEGALLY in LA County by using a shotgun, knowing the boundaries, the rules, and where exactly I was on the map at all times.

In general - In LA County - SHOTGUN ONLY. Much of the county is considered NO SHOOTING but there are many LESS RESTRICTED areas in the unincorporated areas outside the National Forest.

LA County Code
13.66.500 Regulations in less-restricted districts.
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person shall not shoot, fire or discharge, and a person, firm or corporation shall not cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged in the unincorporated territory lying within the boundaries of any district or area defined in this Part 3, any firearm of any kind having a firing range of, or capable of propelling any bullet, shot or missile for any distance of one-half mile or more. (Ord. 7281 1 (part), 1958: Ord. 1769 Art. 2 150, 1929.) This is usually interpreted as SHOTGUN ONLY.

One of the few exceptions to the wise man's "Shotgun-Only" rule is the NATIONAL FOREST. Rifles may be used in the National Forest for hunting only - NO TARGET SHOOTING except as listed below.

HUNTING

Hunting is permitted throughout the Angeles National Forest during hunting seasons designated by the California State Department of Fish and Game. Hunting is prohibited in the San Dimas Experimental Forest.

Hunting is not permitted in those areas where the discharge of firearms is prohibited by County Ordinance, California State law, or Federal regulations, and hunters must follow all laws, including no hunting within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area. A valid California hunting license is required.

Bow hunting may be permitted in some firearm closure areas during legal hunting seasons. No bow hunting is permitted within designated recreation areas or special emphasis areas such as the San Dimas Experimental Forest. Please check with the State of California Department of Fish and Game, or a local Forest Service office for information on additional areas where bow hunting is permitted. A valid California hunting license and appropriate tag must be in possession. For more information contact the California Department of Fish and Game web site,
or you may call them at (562) 590-5132.
TARGET SHOOTING

Two concessionaire-operated shooting areas are located within the Angeles National Forest. These are fee areas under Special Use Permit with the Forest Service, and are the only designated shooting areas within the Angeles National Forest. Designated shooting areas also exist on the Los Padres National Forest (805) 683-6711 as well as large portions of Bureau of Land Management lands (909) 697-5204.

That's a quick summary, the barest highlights. The entire set of codes for LA County is an absolute nightmare. Be extra careful with rocks - most of the same rules apply. And I believe SLINGSHOTS are totally illegal in CA, but I didn't get the code for that one.

five.five-six
04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
9mm and a stag ar? or i can just use my hands and throw rocks

FORGIVE ME BUT I THINK YOU ARE WAY UNDER GUNNED! if the SHTF with one of these visious beasts, you will wish you were better armed

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5914/rabbitattackrb0.jpg

gn3hz3ku1*
04-06-2007, 2:16 PM
http://cbs2.com/local/local_story_091101345.html

ok guys... who was it? ;) so many of us would have done that for free

Nahuatl
04-06-2007, 6:25 PM
ADC trappers take more than a thousand coyotes a year out of residential communities in So Cal, most of them you never hear a single word about. The contractor may have been suspended because the trapper did something politically uncorrect, but the same coyote huggers that abhor kicking the dog in the eye to see if it's still alive (which I do every time) are the first to get on the phone to city hall when Jack and Jill are playing in the front yard and there's a coyote walking the street. Kevin Mitchell - up yours!

gn3hz3ku1*
04-07-2007, 4:05 PM
FORGIVE ME BUT I THINK YOU ARE WAY UNDER GUNNED! if the SHTF with one of these visious beasts, you will wish you were better arm

im asian.. i eat these things on my spare time

Nahuatl
04-10-2007, 1:32 PM
The infamous Riverside coyote shooter was none other than Troy Spillman of Wildlife Management Professionals of Simi Valley.

pullnshoot25
04-10-2007, 8:59 PM
I need to find a good place to hunt rabbits and crows. As it is, my hunting endeavors take place 45 min north of me in Temecula. Anyone with some good locations in Valley Center, Ramona, Vista, San Marcos or Fallbrook?

Here is a pic of my best morning hunt to date.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/pullnshoot25/the%20hunting%20photos/100_0836.jpg

AfricanHunter
04-11-2007, 8:02 AM
The infamous Riverside coyote shooter was none other than Troy Spillman of Wildlife Management Professionals of Simi Valley.

What calls do you find most effective for coyotes?

derbyacresbob
04-11-2007, 5:59 PM
Four coyotes taken with a electronic call. Three were shot with a shotgun and the other one was with a rifle.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/derbyacresbob/WesPictures001.jpg

just4fun63
04-11-2007, 6:23 PM
What do you guys do with them after you shoot them? In my area they are pests and we leave them lay. Are they worth skinning?

Sydwaiz
04-11-2007, 6:56 PM
I use a Foxpro electronic caller. Rabbit and rodent distress sounds seem to work the best. Just leave the carcass, it'll be gone in a day or two. You can skin em in the winter when the coats are thick. I haven't yet.

tenpercentfirearms
04-12-2007, 8:49 PM
Four coyotes taken with a electronic call. Three were shot with a shotgun and the other one was with a rifle.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/derbyacresbob/WesPictures001.jpg

You should have posted this one instead.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/wescoyotes1.jpg
Oh wait, that was a different day as there are only three. :D

1norcalvarmintHunter
04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I'd never use a 22lr to take coyote though. Just my personal feelings...

I have a rancher buddy who has bagged more coyotes with a 22lr than anyone i know...hands down. I want to say this year alone he has bagged about 30. In fact they use 22lr to slaughter most there pigs and cattle.

pullnshoot25
04-15-2007, 6:03 PM
I have a rancher buddy who has bagged more coyotes with a 22lr than anyone i know...hands down. I want to say this year alone he has bagged about 30. In fact they use 22lr to slaughter most there pigs and cattle.

That is pretty standard. The captive bolt gun required for school FFA programs for slaughter uses a .22 blank.

pullnshoot25
04-15-2007, 6:05 PM
Originally Posted by joel1316 View Post

HAHAHA what they dont know wont hurt them... DOWN WITH THE CORVIDAE!!

fuegoslow
10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Nahuatl, would you provide any clues about the spots near Pasadena? I just got my license and am looking to try 'yote hunting out.
xdimitrix, I came across your post from 6 months ago. Have you found any spots north of Pasadena? San Gabriel Valley? I'm a newbie looking and willing to learn.

gibbygoo
12-06-2007, 9:53 PM
Any varmint hunting to be done in Kern County?

bayslayer
12-07-2007, 8:21 AM
If you guys want to varmint hunt you should check out this site http://calivc.com/forums/forums.html

rksimple
12-08-2007, 6:50 AM
Any varmint hunting to be done in Kern County?

Plenty of BLM land up by Tehachapi. Lots of coyotes up here.

Draven
12-17-2007, 5:17 PM
I'd really like to go 'yote hunting but I've only got the OLL to take. I think the 8mm mauser is overkill.

Sydwaiz
12-21-2007, 9:08 AM
I'd really like to go 'yote hunting but I've only got the OLL to take. I think the 8mm mauser is overkill.

I use an OLL as one of my coyote guns. What are you worried about?

Draven
12-21-2007, 9:31 AM
I use an OLL as one of my coyote guns. What are you worried about?

I need to get a good zero on it.the times I've taken it to burro its been a little windy so the zero is only 'on paper' and in the neighborhood of the bullseye.

Sydwaiz
12-21-2007, 9:46 PM
MOC is all you need. (minute of coyote) I sighted mine in at ASR on an extremely windy day shooting at the 200yd steel plate and it killed two dogs it's first day out.

Draven
12-22-2007, 1:27 AM
The rifle can shoot better, I can shoot better- I only have one of the 'Colt Clone' 4x scopes on it, would that work?

jandmtv
12-22-2007, 4:14 PM
hey guys, whats the closest place to go hunting for yotes arround LA, directions or lat. long. would be nice, thanx

sbjmg
12-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Is there any way I can get in on this action in San Diego?

Sydwaiz
12-23-2007, 7:01 PM
Colt clone scope would work fine. I use an old bushnell 3x9 on mine. I leave it on 3x most of the time and just crank it up to scan the area. I'm actually thinking of a DMS-1 scope for my new upper coming in and it's only a 1x-4x.