PDA

View Full Version : Best Ammunition For Coyote Hunting

macentyre
09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
What ammo do you guys prefer for coyote or small predators?

I'll be using a AR-15 in 5.56/.223

Any suggestions on a budget?

Thanks,
Mac

Shoot-it
09-28-2011, 1:13 PM
Go to wal- mart and look for some soft points or those Winchester white box 45 gr hp if they still have them.

DirtyDave
09-28-2011, 1:39 PM
Pretty much anything that is NOT an FMJ. Any Soft-Point, Hollow-Point, or Balistic Tip will work great.

UNLESS you are in a Lead-free area. Then your options are fewer

TrailerparkTrash
09-28-2011, 2:44 PM
Pretty much anything that is NOT an FMJ. Any Soft-Point, Hollow-Point, or Balistic Tip will work great.

UNLESS you are in a Lead-free area. Then your options are fewer

I finally got around to trying the Winchester Super-X Tin (Lead free) solid. It worked pretty good on coyotes.

However, I still prefer a 40gr HP out of my .223's on coyotes when I'm not in the COMMIdor range. ;););)

GJC
09-28-2011, 3:31 PM
I picked up a couple boxes of these to try soon:
http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-53-gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

olhunter
09-28-2011, 3:41 PM
What ammo do you guys prefer for coyote or small predators?

I'll be using a AR-15 in 5.56/.223

Any suggestions on a budget?

Thanks,
Mac

If you need lead-free, the way to go is reloading. If you buy just the very basics to load lead-free .223, you'll recoup your investment very quickly. It's gravy from then on. Factory lead-free is ridiculously priced.

36gr Barnes Varmint Grenades work great on coyotes. About $20 for 100 bullets.

If you're not in the condor zone, then like others have said, any non-FMJ will be fine. Get whatever is on sale.

chrisf
09-28-2011, 6:39 PM
I swear by these winchester CXP1 ammunition its in a white box, You can pick up at your local wally world for about $20 for 40 rounds hollow points. There made for coyote and other smaller game.

chrisf
09-28-2011, 6:40 PM
And BTW olhunter, Your signature confuses me. How the hell did abraham lincoln quote that when internet wasn't even close to being made in his time period??

bob7122
09-28-2011, 6:41 PM
what dirty dave said. but imo go get a .50 cal that is the best way to take down a level 50 coyote...

bob7122
09-28-2011, 6:42 PM
And BTW olhunter, Your signature confuses me. How the hell did abraham lincoln quote that when internet wasn't even close to being made in his time period??

are you seriously asking that?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

can't tell if joking or not

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlCDocs7c_nXboIE21hDDYZbTzaHext _c-Li92haseKicdqjTZ

Shoot-it
09-28-2011, 7:14 PM
I picked up a couple boxes of these to try soon:
http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-53-gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

what type of rifle will you be shooting those out of ? That's my favorite bullet for coyotes right now Vmax.:)

pdugan6
09-28-2011, 9:13 PM
I love this stuff and it flies true.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=533596

DirtyDave
09-28-2011, 9:24 PM
I love this stuff and it flies true.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=533596

Agreed. This is what I shoot. It is Hornady bullets, but cheaper than buying actual Hornady ammo. V-max's are great for critters you dont intend to eat. Sometimes the Fiocchi 50 packs go on sale for about $17!

JagerDog
09-29-2011, 7:18 AM
My Kimber really likes 50 gr Speer TNT's (reloaded).

GJC
09-29-2011, 7:57 AM
what type of rifle will you be shooting those out of ? That's my favorite bullet for coyotes right now Vmax.:)

Stevens 200 with some trigger work. Nikon Prostaff 3-9 40 scope. Only had a few round out of it. Hoping to get it out in the field soon :)

chicoredneck
09-29-2011, 8:08 AM
I'm going to catch flak for this one!

For coyote or other varmints I don't have any problem using military surplus FMJ. I have found that the FMJ rounds do fragment after only a little penetration. The cheapo brand fmj do not, however. Wolf, brown/silver bear, PMC do not expand or break up.

I am also a fan of vmax bullets. They are very accurate and actually keep a small base instead of just disintigrating like some other varmint bullets.

Overall though, if I am targetting coyote I don't worry about it too much and just use what I have on hand.

Coyotegunner
09-29-2011, 8:18 AM
I reload all my own.If you have to buy it.Walmart sells the Rem HPs cheap.Some folks on here are against FMJ.They are just as deadly on coyotes as any others(I have never had one complain).They blow a big hole out the back side.FMJs blow up jackrabbits seriouslyas well.If you are saving the pelt,DONT use them.For real accuracy I load 40 gr VMax,Nosler BT or Sierra BK.They all have a little impact point difference,but same results.The lead sensitive areas get Horn NTX.They are coyotes,shoot them with what ever you got and often.I also use a Glock 34 with ball ammo.I have been looked down on by younger hunters,know it all Ahole at Turners for shooting them with a 22 mag.I guess 42 years of killing them with the little magnum is being non experienced to that guy.

BamBam-31
09-29-2011, 8:26 AM
While hunting in a lead free zone, I shot a coyote with the .243 Varmint Grenade. Hit it in its abdomen. It started running off, so I had to follow up with a second shot through its posterior. That one put it down. The first shot wasn't a terribly placed shot. Either that yote was just a tough SOB, or Varmint Grenades don't inspire a lot of confidence.

I took down another yote a couple weeks back with a .223 V-max, and it was down after one shot. :shrug:

chicoredneck
09-29-2011, 8:35 AM
While hunting in a lead free zone, I shot a coyote with the .243 Varmint Grenade. Hit it in it's abdomen. It started running off, so I had to follow up with a second shot through it's posterior. That one put it down. The first shot wasn't a terribly placed shot. Either that yote was just a tough SOB, or Varmint Grenades don't inspire a lot of confidence.

I took down another yote a couple weeks back with a .223 V-max, and it was down after one shot. :shrug:

A lot of those non-tox bullets designed for varmint shooting have almost zero penetration because the bullet jacket incases an almost powder/granular type metal base that disintigrates apon impact.

PM720
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Any opinions on Hornady TAP? Too heavy?

chicoredneck
09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Any opinions on Hornady TAP? Too heavy?

I'm sure the TAP ammo would work fine. The 40-60gr loads simply use a vmax bullet if I am not mistaken. The heavier 223 TAP ammo looks like a hollowpint target bullet. TAP can run a little pricey. I don't pursue coyote as a game animal and look apon them as a pest so I am not into spending big bucks on ammo for them.

One thing though, that I like to see in a bullet for game this size is rapid expansion. I made a bad shot on a coyote on Saturday with a 100gr core-lockt. I hit it too far back and, judging by the way the animal reacted and the trail it left behind the bullet didn't have enough time to expand. Had I hit bone it would have been a different story or had I used a faster expanding bullet. Instead of recovering the coyote it will now die a slow death and I will probbably find it here shortly with my nose. Not that a bad shot is any fault of the bullets.

Rusty_Buckhorn
09-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I used to like a Winchester in a white box(.223), I believe it was also 45gr, it had a "crimped" hollow point.... before the condor thing :mad: Would darn near cut coyotes in half, and if you shot a squirrel under a fence, it would gut the top wire. Devastating little round. Have no idea what they were called.

Shoot-it
09-29-2011, 11:44 AM
I do not use fmj where I hunt because I don't want that bullet to skip and go somewhere else.I mostly hunt farm land and a good fragmental bullet that is what I use.
One time me and a friend was shooting squirrels I had my tikka 223 with vmax he had a stevens shooting wolf 223.My targets would fly up and had carnage his rounds blew holes threw them and a few would skip and we could here it to.So I told him I hope he does not end up hiting a beef cow with those.He thought about it and decided not to use them for hunting anymore.

You guy's can do what you want but same day you will regret using them for hunting.

chicoredneck
09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I do not use fmj where I hunt because I don't want that bullet to skip and go somewhere else.I mostly hunt farm land and a good fragmental bullet that is what I use.
One time me and a friend was shooting squirrels I had my tikka 223 with vmax he had a stevens shooting wolf 223.My targets would fly up and had carnage his rounds blew holes threw them and a few would skip and we could here it to.So I told him I hope he does not end up hiting a beef cow with those.He thought about it and decided not to use them for hunting anymore.

You guy's can do what you want but same day you will regret using them for hunting.

Wolf fmj does not fragment and some of the other cheap, steel jacketed fmj bullets don't either, but many other brands of fmj ammo do.

macentyre
09-29-2011, 3:19 PM
awesome. thanks for the info guys!!

DirtyDave
09-29-2011, 4:49 PM
I shot a coyote with the .243 Varmint Grenade. Hit it in its abdomen. It started running off, so I had to follow up with a second shot through its posterior. That one put it down. The first shot wasn't a terribly placed shot.

So you gut-shot a yote, and it ran? Thats not a surprise. I wouldnt blame the bullet

sodsqad
09-29-2011, 4:58 PM
100 grain broadhead, any style will do. Sit still, call them in and whack um! I've been trying that for 2 years now with my compound bow but as soon as I move they bolt! They get within 10 yards of me. I live on 2.5 acres along with everyone else on 2.5 acres so I can't shoot them with my 22-250. Just by cheap ammo and have a blast!

cruddymutt
09-29-2011, 9:55 PM
I am using.....
223-Hornady 55gr V-Max Varmint express
22-250-55gr Winchester ballistic silvertips

stockranger
09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
cabelas sells a 55 gr soft point in a 50 round box by hornaday. It is like 22 bucks for 50. This stuff shoots submoa out of my tikka and it stops coyote and jack rabbits in their tracks.

Stick with 55 or 60 gr. bullets.

For the lead free zone I have used barnes 36 VG at about 75 yards it was a complete pass thru with dime size exit. Shot was perfect in the heart. Dog expired instantly, paws to the sky. Wouldn't use them again as they would not go MOA for me.

I figure why shoot inferior rifle ammo in the lead free zone? I take the shotgun with wingmaster HD BB in the lead free zone. Most of the condor zone is thick cover and the HD ammo is the best shotgun ammo there is.

Rusty_Buckhorn
09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
100 grain broadhead, any style will do. Sit still, call them in and whack um! I've been trying that for 2 years now with my compound bow but as soon as I move they bolt!

I took a dog squeaky toy, cut out the squeaker. Works great when you blow through it, sounds like a mouse squeak or something. When they bolt, when I draw, a few squeaks from that "hands free" squeaker, they stop ;)

and the Winchester ammo I spoke of in an earlier post is 45gr JHP Varmint. Works great for me.

Rusty_Buckhorn
09-30-2011, 12:08 PM
gosh darn double post :facepalm:

macentyre
09-30-2011, 6:27 PM
nice.

macentyre
09-30-2011, 6:28 PM
anyone know how many rounds you can put in your mag for coyote hunting to be legal? I seem to remember it was only like 3-5 or something stupid.

BC9696
10-01-2011, 4:00 PM
FYI...in CA if you are stopped a Warden will cite you for hunting with FMJs.

toby
10-01-2011, 4:05 PM
Nosler Balistic tips & Hornady SST'S get animals DRT every time.

bambklr
10-02-2011, 1:02 PM
FYI...in CA if you are stopped a Warden will cite you for hunting with FMJs.

I have never heard this since softnose or expanding bullets are only required for big game in CA.If hunting the off season for non game it Seems like an easy ticket to fight

sk8804
10-02-2011, 5:02 PM
.243 Hornady GMX 80gr are a stopper. I got two boxes at $19.95 on midway when they had a sale. I hit him on the shoulder and it broke both front legs and turned his insides into soup. lol Huge exit though so not for anybody lookin to save pelt.

sk8804
10-02-2011, 5:03 PM
anyone know how many rounds you can put in your mag for coyote hunting to be legal? I seem to remember it was only like 3-5 or something stupid.

you are only limited with a shotgun. Rifle you can have however many you can legally own.

Jn316
10-02-2011, 5:10 PM
22 short right between the eyes in my brothers back yard

Shoot-it
10-02-2011, 5:34 PM
22 short right between the eyes in my brothers back yard

WOW don't use to much gun now.

sk8804
10-02-2011, 5:36 PM
WOW don't use to much gun now.

lol. Ive done it with long rifle and even that made me feel bad.