PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Speargun/Harpoon in vehicle

Jason P
09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Not a joke, just curious about having one of these in your vehicle cocked and locked:

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301554_4d38nw.do?keyword=spear+gun&sortby=ourPicks

I can't really find anything on here or Googling, and IANAL so I was just curious. Also the stopping power of a harpoon should be substantial. If nothing else, I'm guessing the BG would stop and look down to chck if he really got harpooned...

Experts?

ojisan
09-28-2011, 1:06 PM
IDK.

But if legal, how about a shorty wrist-mounted version?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/RallyMonkey/WezFaceoff.jpg

Jason P
09-28-2011, 1:15 PM
IDK.

But if legal, how about a shorty wrist-mounted version?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/RallyMonkey/WezFaceoff.jpg

LOL, as cool as that would be, I'd really rather have it between the seats and ready to deploy.

As opposed to the setup you see there, which probably is better for a bike:)

Seriously, I was at Sports Chalet the other evening, and thought hell yeah, that would be the single shot from hell if needed!

dantodd
09-28-2011, 1:25 PM
Not a joke, just curious about having one of these in your vehicle cocked and locked:

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301554_4d38nw.do?keyword=spear+gun&sortby=ourPicks

I can't really find anything on here or Googling, and IANAL so I was just curious. Also the stopping power of a harpoon should be substantial. If nothing else, I'm guessing the BG would stop and look down to chck if he really got harpooned...

Experts?

I suspect it would be treated just like a cross bow. though I don't know how a bow is treated for transport by CA PC.

Patrick Aherne
09-28-2011, 1:26 PM
Just buy them drinks and tell them you're into BBWs, no need for harpoons.

Jason P
09-30-2011, 2:25 PM
bump for further clarity

ar15robert
09-30-2011, 2:57 PM
I am a diver and at times had a dive knife in my truck in its case its double edged and pointed tip sometimes my spear gun was in there too. i use to dive 3-4 days a week i asked my father in laws friend who was a downey cop at the time about the legality he said i wouldnt worry about it since you area certified diver and have a legitimite excuse and they had better thing to worry about or do then deal with that stuff.

but said the knife alone could get gang banger in some good trouble.

Jason P
10-01-2011, 12:02 AM
I am a diver and at times had a dive knife in my truck in its case its double edged and pointed tip sometimes my spear gun was in there too. i use to dive 3-4 days a week i asked my father in laws friend who was a downey cop at the time about the legality he said i wouldnt worry about it since you area certified diver and have a legitimite excuse and they had better thing to worry about or do then deal with that stuff.

So you'd have to be a certified diver? What if you just carry a snorkel and swimtrunks? "I keep that in here for spearfishing officer"

Decoligny
10-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Nothing illegal about a double edged fixed blade knife with a point. Unless you conceal it.

ar15robert
10-01-2011, 11:27 AM
So you'd have to be a certified diver? What if you just carry a snorkel and swimtrunks? "I keep that in here for spearfishing officer"

Not neccesarily a certifed diver but basically a decent reason.You look like you look like you are up to trouble then you may have a problem.You look like the type who is going to fish or looks like the type that does no worry.doesnt get any simpler if you feel scared leave it at home or better yet register your gear with the state or go out and enjoy!

ar15robert
10-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Nothing illegal about a double edged fixed blade knife with a point. Unless you conceal it.
Maybe in the back cab of my truck can be considered concealed.I really dont worry about it its an obvious dive knife and i have proof i am a diver and go often.didnt realize how much paranoia exist.

Jason P
10-01-2011, 1:23 PM
didnt realize how much paranoia exist.

Surely you jest:) I'm very paranoid:TFH:

Seriously, it just seems like a reasonable way to have a "loaded weapon" in the car ready to go in 2 seconds. I just felt it important to clarify the legality on this, because I couldn't find anything on it.

I know that if there is no law, technically I'm not breaking one, but there are more laws in this state/country/world than I can keep track of...

Thanks for answering the question though!

Californio
10-01-2011, 1:34 PM

Experts?

The safety mechanism on a speargun is tenuous at best. We shoot 40+ lb flaties (halibut), guns are always de-banded at the end of each dive before handed aboard and loaded in the water at the start of each dive. Carrying a banded (cocked) speargun in your truck would be asking for an ND and just plain dangerous.

Jason P
10-01-2011, 5:59 PM
So in other words:) I will figure out something else and get back to you guys:)