PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried/seen SW99's anywhere?

Sturnovik
09-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I keep wanting to give these a go for a .40 platform since I sold my Beretta and most people I talk to seem to have liked them. I'm still a bit thrown on their trigger mechanism between anti stress and the other models but I'm quite drawn to them. Anyone seen them on sale or tried one?

junkit_boy
09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
I have and prefer the Walther P99

Sturnovik
09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Well I would normally agree with you but I looked around and people seemed to have liked these. The more I looked I realized that Smith made the slide, and Glock the Frame. In both the "walther p99" and "smith 99". Its interesting that they are functionally the same 100 percent they just have cosmetic differences in the slide and grip and serrations.

b18bturboek9
09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I dont have a SW99 but i have a SW990L in .40 if your interested only difference was that the 990L didn't have the de-cocking button. I'm located in the east bay if local and wanna buy or try it out.

Sturnovik
09-28-2011, 4:30 PM
I dont have a SW99 but i have a SW990L in .40 if your interested only difference was that the 990L didn't have the de-cocking button. I'm located in the east bay if local and wanna buy or try it out.

What year? I may be interested in it. I've been wanting one for a long time, and even though I made a revolver purchase and it might be a month or two before I can, I'm trying to find who has them cheapest and what people liked about them.

Sunday
09-28-2011, 4:40 PM
I bought one on clostout for $499.00 and I really enjoy the pistol it is a 40 with the decocking button and the double[?] action single action trigger which is a nice feature. It is super accurate and easy to shoot. I would buy another if the price was right

40cal.
09-28-2011, 5:22 PM
I have a SW99 I bought in around 2000, the lower end is Walther and the slide is S&W. Have around 10,000 rounds through it and not any gliches, shoots great. The trigger on the P99's are not the same as the older models, I shot one a couple of years ago and there was no trigger reset at all, not until the trigger was fully released. My older model has a very short reset = very quick follow up shots. Good luck finding one.

Sturnovik
09-30-2011, 9:57 AM
Sounds very good. I havent had a chance to shoot one in quite sometime. I heard that it somehow has a double strike ability even though its a striker fired pistol? :/, and by double strike i mean only twice, not pulling the trigger over and over again. I shot it literally more than 8-9 years ago so its been a while. I hope I can find one as a deal.

dfens
09-30-2011, 2:57 PM
The SW 99 the frame is made by Walther since SW can't do it right and the slide and barrel are SW.

Cosmetic differences are SW has a rounded trigger guard and front cocking serations.

I'd buy a Walther that is what I have the quality is what you expect from a German made gun.

Trigger wise their are 2 types one is a Glock like trigger with re-strike capability. The other is like mine the AS or anti-stress tigger. It takes some getting use to but it's like 3 triggers in one.

The double action full trigger length pull is about 10 pounds and has restrike capabilities while being a striker fired gun. So if fails to go band you can pull the trigger again if it's the primer.

After the 2nd shot is the true singe action trigger, it's 1/3 the pull distance and about a little over 4 pounds feels really close to a 1911 in this mode.

Last is the first shot in SA mode or the AS trigger. The distance the trigger travel is the same as DA mode but the pull force in pounds is the same as SA mode. Their is a way to make the trigger into for the first shot to be in single action but it's very dangerous since you have to pull the trigger part ways until it locks into place for a true SA shot.

Big upside to the AS trigger is you can go into AS trigger mode from DA mode by pulling the slide 1 cm to cock the striker. You have to try one to under stand it, their is some youtube vids showing the 3 modes.

I'll I know is after the 2nd shot which went from AS to SA mode I had to buy one.

NationsMostWanted
10-09-2011, 1:01 PM
i been thinking of looking for one as well. are there big price difference between the SW and the Walther 99?

kmrtnsn
10-09-2011, 1:02 PM
S&W discontinued the SW99 when the M&P's were released.